• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

-Missing- IC Thread: RP Cast Filled

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander

A stunned murmur responded from behind Wade’s hand — not a committal response, exactly, but good enough for Wade. He ripped his hand away as though it were a bandaid, exposing on Max’s face a grimace equally furious as it was mortified.

Max sprung to life almost instantly; he caught Wade by the wrist, and, in a movement that seemed suspiciously well-practiced, dragged him by the arm as one might hook someone by the collar.

You do that again,” he said, glowering over, “and I will break your fryin’ arm in half.

Then, in a much more terrified tone:

But how could you posSIBLY-

What came out next was a slurry of corruption-centric gibberish punctuated by the sudden stops of someone trying (and failing) to keep themselves from falling into a ranting frenzy.

I just-... I mean if you-” he fought for words, pulling at his tentacles, “but that would-... and I-... only when-... just-...Didn’t you see anything when we were in the tunnels before?” And he gestured wildly to the way they had come from, “anything at all?

"Yes!" Wade agreed. "I was definitely there for the episode last night where we all walked into some kind of all consuming darkness."

"And then all the freaky stuff happened," Wade said, a little quieter. "But I could see the darkness then, and now, I can't."

"...You can't," Max repeated, hands pressed against his tentacles, "That doesn't- why the shell would-"

He flung his arms to the side and sighed, defeated.

"...Okay," he muttered sullenly, "I get it, I... I believe you. It's fine." Even though, to Max, it was certainly not fine, what with Wade display significant symptoms of corruption, to the point of nearly throwing himself into the mother-fryin' miasma shell, there was no way, no way he could keep Wade unscathed, he'd turn into one of those creatures before Max could even save-

"It's fine," Max repeated, a tad more forceful than before. "Just... give me a second to think."

He wasted no time doing the exact opposite; hand-in-fist and head-bowed, meditating away the room and his panic until he'd reduced the world around him to a near-void. Wade was gone here, as were the tunnel and the path they'd come from. All that remained was the miasma, an invader to the room and this realm, its tendrils spilling wildly against the doorframe.

Something devious was hiding in that room. Yet there was no way in shell that Max would allowed Wade to investigate anywhere near that murk. He had to go in. Himself, with his own power, that... heavy, hulking shield...

Max grimaced. Shell, he didn't want to lug that thing around, but... no matter how heavy that barrier was, it would be easier to carry than Wade's oozing body.

"-stand back," he started, breaking from his trance and pushing past Wade.

He threw his hand out with all the force he could muster.

"I'll banish this."

> Push away the Darkness (Savvy + Charisma)

> I've done it before... (+3)
> Base Pool 6 ==> Dice Pool
> 6 Successes

In a bright burst of light the barrier surged to life, consuming the miasma past the doorway and into the room. With it, of course, came that soreness; less than before, perhaps, but enough to make Max grimace.

Ahahah…” Hiding his pain with a sneer, he gestured sidelong at his creation, “There we are. So long as we’ve got this-” and he slapped the ceiling of the barrier with the back of his hand, “we shouldn’t have any problems with-

He froze as soon as he saw the books. Then he turned to Wade, and... back to the books. Wade. The books. Wade. The books.

...You saw the books.

He paused.

...This...this can only mean one thing.

He turned stone-faced to Wade.

You... MUST HAVE A SUPERPOWER...!

He barreled back to Wade with eyes like stars, pointing and gibbering and “Fryin’ shell, you’re a real superhero”-ing and repositioning Wade here and there with a “Can you see the books here?!” and a “What about if I’m over here” and a dozen other questions that drowned out in-between.

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
Wade quickly put his hands up to signal he needed a little personal space from the sudden fanboying.

"Yes! I can definitely see the books," Wade agreed hastily. In fact, he glanced back to the bookshelf room, which he had been able to view clearly this entire time.

Wade gave Max a reassuring, but mostly confused thumbs-up, trying to wrap his head around how Max had done dramatic poses, then gotten from point A to point B.

"Yeah, its real... super?" he said. "Uhm... so you can see the books now, too?"

"Like shell I can," Max sneered, gesturing to himself. "And the room, and the-"

He paused, glancing between Wade and the barrier.

"Can... can you not see that, too...?"

Wade blinked.

"See wha--?" he began, but caught himself before he finished his question.

"No wait," Wade said, "I.... I might be able to see it!"

Something... was probably happening outside of Wade's new vision. And if there wasn't, he would try to act like Max wasn't making pointless crazy poses. At the very least, he could check out the room's darkness for himself.

Wade held a hand just out of sight, expecting the mirror to conveniently reappear in it. And it did. He angled the mirror slightly, trying to examine Max in it's reflection.

"Uhm..." Wade hesitated. All he could see was Max.

Wade pulled the mirror closer, scrutinizing the reflection a little harder. What about the darkness in the book room?

He could still see the books, but it was darker...? Something was weird and shifty about the edge of the darkness. Behind a small visible section of bookcase, the light ebbed away until the darkness was pitch. Now that was the kind of unnatural darkness he should avoid, and it seemed to be dampened somehow. Wade looked up from the mirror to give Max a curious look.

"Are you... doing that?" Wade asked. "Like there's darkness in the other room but..." Trying to put it into words, Wade mimed out pushing the darkness away.

"...Yeah," Max responded, "That's the point of the barrier."

He met Wade at eye level, scrutinizing him closely.

"...Huh," he said with a quiet sneer, "I think I know what's going on here. Your power..." and he thumbed at Wade, "It's letting you see through the darkness, yeah? But I bet it's also letting you see through the barrier, too."

"...Tch," he flicked at his cowlick, lost in his thoughts, "That's fryin' annoying. Can't you turn it off?"

"Uhh," Wade hesitated again, getting a good eyeful of Max's mask.

'Turn it off'? That made sense. But he didn't turn anything on to begin with. What was he supposed to turn off then?

Wade blinked his eyes a few times, rubbed his eyes, then covered and uncovered his face with his hands. He squinted and tried to focus on the bookshelf room, too. None of it did anything. As tempted as Wade was to start doing poses like Max did, maybe try and 'awaken his normal vision,' it didn't feel like any of this could affect the... power.

The omitted darkness blended seamlessly with his normal vision. He could barely tell anything was different, if not for the mirror. It wasn't his eyes, it was deeper than that. It just was.

Wade had no clue how to toggle this, or if he even could.

"...If I could turn if off, I would have already," Wade said, a little unsettled with this realization. He really would have walked straight into the darkness if Max hadn't stopped him.

He might have been able to see it coming if Wade had been checking his mirror though.

"Ah, it's not quite turning it off, but I can still..." Wade held out his hand again for the mirror to settle into, pointing at the reflection, then what it showed behind him. "I can still sort of see what's going on, but just not directly," he said.

"...Not directly, huh," Max repeated, as blank in voice as in his expression. His gaze wandered the space around Wade's hands. "That's..."

He twisted about for a moment, scrutinizing the gesture as would a curious scholar, until he could mimick the position perfectly.

"...This way, yeah?" His face muddled with confusion. "How the shell... are you just... looking through it in such a way..." and he bent his head down to peer through the space, "or is there... some kind of field you're making...?"

Wade blinked a few times, trying to understand what Max was mimicking. The empty space in his hands...? A field...?

Oh, duh. Wade smacked his forehead.

"You can't see the mirror," Wade groaned.

Jax couldn't see the mirror. No one else could see the mirror. Wade had already figured this out, but it just kind of slipped his mind since the mirror was so tangible and real feeling in his own hands.

It was a little weird though. Max's 'barrier' let him see beyond the miasma, yet he still couldn't see the mirror

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
"So, I'm looking into a reflection. I-I'm like, holding this handmirror?" Wade explained, still motioning to the 'invisi-mirror'. "I think I might be the only person who can see it though."

Max blinked, speechless and of grave face. It... hadn't occurred to him that the mirror which had attacked before could be one of several entities.

In a passive glance, he met the invisible mirror where it laid in Wade's hands. To Wade, perhaps, it was just a mirror, but in his righteous eyes he could see all that hid beyond its reflection; tears and tv static, whispers of wind and distanced garbling, endless flames and a melting child's face-

He rubbed the image from his eyes and returned to Wade, unsure of what possibility he feared the most: that Wade had too seen great horrors in that mirror, or that those horrors were the same as the ones he'd seen himself.

"Y-... you are, huh...?" Max stammered. Internally, he was screaming. Wade had told him very specifically not to freak out, and yet he was holding in his hands an entrapment that could force ooze from his eyes with an ill-timed glance. What the fry was he supposed to do, huh? Just cave to his wishes and let him die?

"Get rid of it." Max commanded through gritted teeth, "The mirror, I mean. It's an entrapment." And he grumbled to the side, adding, "Probably the same beast that corrupted Jax."

Wade shot back a genuinely perplexed look.

"C-corrupted? Entrapment?" he stuttered, glancing back at the mirror's surface.

In this giant mess of 'powers and darkness' and vision problems, Wade still felt like he could trust what the mirror was showing him. It showed him reality. He had an innate feeling in him that the mirror reflected reality as it was, and honestly, he hadn't questioned that feeling until now.

"Nggh, are you suuure, it's like... bad?" Wade said, trying to defend the mirror. It was nice to hold. Wade was starting to get attached to it even. Really. It couldn't be bad. "'Cause I can't avoid the miasmas without it, so that's ... that's pretty nice," he added.

"I don't think I can get rid of it anyway," Wade said quickly.

He was hoping that Max wouldn't jump straight to 'he's corrupted because he's being haunted by a mirror!' except that probably wouldn't be much of a leap for Max or a saner person dropped into the same conversation.

"The shell you trying to say, ink-speck?!" Max said, his facade of restraint cracking, "What, you think you're so good that you can keep yourself from-"

He stopped himself midway, and, with a heavy sigh, forced back a scream of "YOU'RE BEING CORRUPTED BY THE MIRROR" and returned to normalcy.

"Here, just-" He lurched forward, grabbing at the air where the mirror was supposed to be, "I'll get rid of it- if I just- get a hold of- why the shell is it invisible? Did you make it invisible?!"

"What?? No. It was already invisible before. H-hey!" Wade sputtered.

He was surprised that Max was trying to take matters into his own hands, literally, but was even more surprised that Max hadn't already snatched the mirror.

Wade blinked, unsure of what had just happened. He could have sworn Max's hand was on trajectory to grab the mirror, but it was almost like Max's fingers missed their mark at the last second. Like they were subtly deflected.

"Did.... did you miss that on purpose?" Wade asked.

Don’t fry with me, kid,” Max snarled, grasping wildly in the mirror’s direction. “This is serious, I just- need to- GHAA-

He cut himself off mid-shout, clawing at his tentacles in an unrestrained fury. What the fry was wrong with him?! Just because something was invisible didn’t mean it was fryin’ intangible. It was right there. Right there, in Wade’s damn hands, and he couldn’t. Fryin’. STOP IT FROM-

In a heavy grumble, he let his hands fall and let his face fall into them. Don’t freak out, he reminded himself. That’s what the mirrors wanted, after all. They were corrupted entities, tricksters first intent of playing him through illusions of memory, and now through the destruction of his own perception.

He would not stand to let the corruption make a fool of him.

Shell, just... hold it straight,” Max muttered, positioning himself directly in front of where the mirror likely stood with an outstretched hand. Power rushed through it; the same power that formed the bubble, warding the miasma away in the other room. Certainly, as corruption, the mirror was no different.

Max frowned. Whatever spell that mirror had conjured, whatever darkness it hid itself in... his power would illuminate it.

REVEAL YOURSELF, ENTITY!” Max shouted, focusing the power from his hand against the mirror.

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
> Reveal the Mirror (Savvy + Charisma)
> Clap Your Hand if You Believe (+2)
> Base Pool 6 ==> Dice Pool 8
> 2 Successes

What came from Max's hand was shimmering - not as a bright light, but a cloud of gold dust. In pieces, it settled in the air where the mirror should have laid, floating like stars around its place, yet never quite reaching where it rested.

"...Whu-" He stammered, staring into the palm of his hand. He hadn't been sure what exactly would happen, but uh... he also hadn't been expecting that.

Slowly, he turned his hand back toward the dust and mirror. Did it... always do that?

"...Reveal." He commanded again.

> Reveal the Mirror (Savvy + Charisma)

> Clap Your Hand if You Believe?? (+1)
> Base Pool 6 ==> Dice Pool 7
> 6 Successes

Max focused on trying to reveal the mirror and, little by little, sparkles appeared where the surface of the mirror was. By the time he was finished, a glittering outline of the mirror existed for only him to see, completely encrusting the mirror.

Wade, holding the mirror at an angle such that he could still see into it, started to lean in for a better look. The reflection to began fog up with... gold glitter? The entire face of the mirror started to look like it had golden flecks piled on it, but only in it's reflection.

"What are you doing?" Wade asked. "I mean, it's really pretty," he reassured. "Are you... are you throwing glitter at the mirror? Glitter that I can't see?"

It sounded really ridiculous to say out loud, but it's what the whole situation looked like.

> Touch the Gold Dust (Savvy + Charisma)

> Mild Exasperation (+0)
> Base Pool 7
> 6 Successes

Wade reached with his thumb to wipe away a bit of dust, covering the bottom of the mirror. He couldn't see anything that was happening; Wade was getting a little ...peeved with Max's "invisible" antics.

As he touched the dust (but couldn't so much as feel it), it seemed to wipe away. All of it. The dust seemed to blow off the reflection and whisk away until he could see the reflection just fine. The gold glitter had disappeared as fast as it had come.

"Okay...? Seriously, what'd you do?" Wade asked.

The shell did you do?!” Max shouted back, motioning to where the dust had once been, “You just... just pushed it all...

With a frown, he turned to face his hand again. Wade couldn’t see his light bubble, and now... now whatever this gold dust was had fled at his mere touch. It was his first instinct to assume corruption. Yet the miasma and the mirror had been affected by his power just fine...

...Hold it still again,” Max said, a tentative concern marking his voice, “...And don’t touch it this time, alright?

He raised his hand against the mirror a third time. “Reveal.

> Dust the Mirror (Savvy + Charisma)

> And Again (+2)
> Base Pool 6 ==> Dice Pool 8
> 5 Successes

Once again, the dust appeared, sticking to the mirror as it has before, though not nearly to the same degree of detail. Still, it was enough to confirm what Max had seen before; that the mirror in Wade’s hands, at least in the form he could see, was not the same mirror that had attacked him.

...It’s different,” Max muttered, and stared with concern at his hand again.

"What is different?!" Wade asked, nearing his limit. "Seriously, what was with the glitter? What did you do? What did I do that was so weird?"

As Wade started to rant, he inadvertently lost track of the mirror, making it disappear to a new spot in his line of sight.

"What is with the," Wade mimicked Max's poses with a false seriousness, "'reveal yourself, entity'?" he said, trying to capture the raw edginess in Max's behavior. "What. Is going. On??" he seethed.

Last edited:

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
"Why the fry would I know?!" Max returned with a rivaling fury, "I'm not the one with the frying invisible mirror in their hands. 'Oh, are you the one putting dust everywhere?' Fry off. Why else would there be gold-frying-glitter coming out of nowhere in a room with no other people?!"

He buried his hands in his tentacles. "Nothing right now makes any frying sense, alright," he fumed, more to the situation than to Wade, "The tunnel before, that made sense; that was a trap, set by the corruption, that we all fryin' fell into. The barrier? Still made sense, alright, that's just how these work- you get into a situation where you're over your head, and then it just activates, like that, like a snap, and you find out you had this thing you could do all along... But now you're here, you've got some frying... I don't know, corruption x-ray powers or some kelp, you've still got that frying mirror in your hands, and I'm just trying to figure out how the fry we're going to save Jax when you can't see anything and why I've got frying fairy dust coming out of my hands-!"

The words coalesced into a scream, and Max, mid-rant, caught his breath with a begrudged sigh.

"Kelp, I-" He buried his face in his hands, then continued, "I know, okay, I know, you said not to freak out... I'm sorry, alright? I'm sorry. But kelp, it's just..."

Sighing, he let his hands fall. "I don't know why this is happening, alright?" Max said, "I don't know why you're blind, I don't know why I'm spewing frying fairy dust. But it's happening. It's real."

For the longest moment, Wade remained quiet but he held an indignant glare to Max. Wade's arms were tense, hands balled up at this sides.

After a few seconds, Wade sharp look dipped so that he was staring into the ground. Not as frustrated anymore, but impassive. He opened his mouth to say something back, but then didn't.

Instead, Wade took a seat on the floor, right where he was. He looked on at the ground.

"Yeah. Okay," Wade said, simply.

The air hung in a silence of lost words. It was a solemn, broken presence, one which caught Max in its voicelessness, and to which he had no offer except that of his own company; thus he sat facing Wade, his gear fallen to his side, joining his downward gaze.

They were still for a moment. Here and there the silence broke to a cavern breeze, and to Max, shifting restlessly between the shadows and Wade, his gaze tending to the steady light of the barrier only he could see.

"...Did you want to go back?" he said finally.

Wade finally lifted his head and shot back a glare.

"No, I don't want to go back," he said.

"I want to finish what I," Wade held out the word like he was contemplating his word choice, "--fffrying started So try to not die. Maybe figure out what the deal with this tunnel is?"

Wade threw his arms in the air, frustrated. "'Cause y'know! You don't know what the deal with the freaky powers are and I, sure as shell, don't either. I can't even see half of this stuff anymore!" Wade said, waving towards the room with the bookshelf.

Wade sighed and held his face in his hands, covering his eyes. "I just want to get through this stupid tunnel without it being a total disaster," he said.

At, that Max broke into a sullen grin. “Tch... We’re off to a good start, then, aren’t we?

He chuckled, yet in the space between his words stood a brooding pause.

Still,” he continued, softer in tone, “It could’ve been worse, y’know? If I couldn’t make this barrier, you’d be coughing corruption as bad as Jax. And shell, if you hadn’t been able to see past the miasma...” He pursed his lips for a bitter second. “...Then I’d never have noticed that room or anything in it.

He sighed, leaning forward against his knees. “We don’t know why we’ve got these powers,” he said, “or even what they can do. But we have them, right? And that’s way more than we had coming in here the first time.

-So, here’s my thought,” he continued, rising to his feet, and picking up his things as he did, “If we wanna get though here, we’re gonna need a game plan. We got two things to deal with: you not being able to see the miasma, and me not being able to see past it.

For a moment, he rested his chin in his hands, thinking. Then a burst of insight; he snapped his fingers, his eyes gleaming like new stars.

How ‘bout this,” he began, “Every time we go into a new part of the tunnel, I’ll signal where the miasma is. Then you can tell me what’s behind it, and if there’s something interesting there... I’ll obliterate whatever corruption’s in the way.

A loose cackle escaped his grin, and he threw out of his hand as though using his power, posing with the Dynamo perched on his shoulder. “The Great Hero of Inkopolis with his sidekick Reflecto, banishing the forces of evil lurking in the underground! It’s the ultimate tag team!

In characteristic bravado, he bounded over to where Wade sat and offered a hand.

Well?” He said, beaming, “How does that sound?

Wade glanced up at Max's 'olive branch gesture', still holding his head in his hands.

A game plan

That's what Wade wanted coming into this tunnel in first place, he thought bitterly. But of course the moment something was out of the ordinary, someone had to make a pose-filled kerfuffle before realizing they didn't know what was going on.

Wade glared away, not sure if he was mad at Max or just everything weird that was suddenly happening. Wade wasn't being fair; he didn't know what was going on either. He just wanted to keep pressing on regardless, supernatural changes or not. He didn't want the 'weird vision' to be some big deal ...but it was.

Max couldn't have known that Wade couldn't see any of the miasma until something went wrong. And what went wrong was almost a repeat of the horrifying events of last night. So of course Max was losing it.

Even so, Wade had figured he could fake normalcy until they found what they needed. Try to reduce the number of freak outs.

...That idea clearly backfired.

A flash of regret passed over Wade's expression, angry at himself, but he was quick to hide his face in his arms.

After a pause, Wade reached up and grabbed Max's hand.

As if pushing aside his conflicts, Wade slowly said, "Reflecto..." he took a breath, "is a really terrible name."

"I'm not sure how I ended up the sidekick here either," he complained. "But... whatever works for... the 'ultimate tag team'," Wade said.

Max balked, caught between words. "W-well, someone's... there gotta be the sidekick, yeah, and I-... it's just that heroes don't normally, y'know, work together... like..."

The last word trailed and left without a sound. Max frowned, searching through his thoughts.

"You, uh..." The words came slowly, "...You could be a hero if you wanted to, I guess."

He paused. The Dynamo on his shoulder slumped over and landed with a dull thud.

"...Is it really that bad of a name...?"

Wade yanked on Max's hand and hoisted himself off the ground.

He sucked in air and gave a noncommittal "mmmm." "It could use some workshopping," Wade joked.

"Just... call me by my name for now," he said simply.

Wade dusted himself, and took a moment to regain his bearings. If they wanted to do get through the tunnel, they had to work together. And they could do that, because they already had.

"You see the miasma, I see through it?" Wade reaffirmed. He glanced over to the bookshelf room that he'd first reached for.

"You can definitely reach that first bookcase, right?" he asked.

At that, Max sneered. "Tch. 'Course I can." he said, with a sweeping gesture of the barrier, "Just leave it to me.

The bookshelf room seemed in good shape considering the
corruption flowing from it. Max ran his fingers across the first case, scanning a line of blue and black-bound tomes marked by the weird letters he'd seen before.

"
More of them," he mumbled, and then, shouting for Wade, "Hey! You've got that journal, right? Toss it to me."

Last edited:

Hesoca

Full Squid
(( OOC: Adding Wade banter in for clarity ))

Wade pulled out the notebook he'd been using, the same one he'd been journaling in for the last few days. "Uhhh," Wade stalled, flipping past all the fluff to the last page Max had recorded in. "Yeah, catch!" he said, chucking it in Max's direction. "Can you... grab a book? Maybe toss it towards me...?" Wade suggested. He really just wanted to get his hands on one, break it open, and skim through it to get an idea of the contents.

“Heh, I’ll do you one better,” Max sneered, and, catching the journal with a grin, reached into the bookcase, pinned a stack of books against his chest in a tight hug, and plopped them a little ways outside the doorway.

“There. We. Go,” he said, dusting himself, “Just... be careful.” After all, the tomes were marked with the corruptive letters from before, and while they appeared inactive now...

He wandered back into the bookroom, scribbling down the symbols of the first set of bindings, and the second, and the third, and the...

...well, just the third, actually. Because by the time he reached the last book on that row, he’d easily covered a few pages and the limit of his attention. There was no way he’d be able to mark down everything in the room by the end of the day, let alone the entire bookshelf.

With a sigh, he stuffed the journal in his duffel and turned to the rest of the room. Perhaps there was something else to be discovered in here.

Examine: Bookshelf Room

Last edited:

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
Max ==> Examine: Bookshelf Room

It was simple enough: shelf upon shelf of books whose binding ranged from blacks to blues. No matter how far in Max trailed, he didn't see anything different. Then, at the far end of the room was a worktable, stacked with books.

Some were of the kind from the shelves--bound in the colors of nightshade and shale--but most were tattered papers and scrolls. In particular two things were framed on the desk. The first was a weathered scroll whose form and
ancient unholy letters looked ready to crumble with the faintest breeze. Beside it lay a paper. Modern and lined and legible... should he dare to read it.

> Drawing Conclusions (Academics + Savvy)
> No Modifiers
> Base Pool 6
> 2 Successes

Max figured this was probably a translation of some sort.
After all, what could it be? Two pieces side by side, one in clear Inklish and another in some hellspawn's cursed tongue. Simple.

Hesoca

Full Squid
Also simple; the fact that he was absolutely not the Inkling who'd be able to make use of it. But Jax and Wade, on the other hand...

He started first with the scroll. It was his instinct to rip the wretched thing apart, perhaps destroy whatever demented power laid within its letters, but the possibility of it being a translation held his hands back. Instead, he set himself to work copying the symbols down - line by line, to his best ability to mimic, in the journal - before turning his attention to the paper on the desk, picking it up and folding-

-wait, he thought, the paper half-folded in his hands, There could be something to this. A clue to this room and its purpose, perhaps, or the room next door. This paper couldn't be the only one of its kind; certainly, there were other scrolls in need of translating, let alone the books in the room currently.

Careful-eyed, he unfolded the paper and skimmed its contents.

Read: Mysterious Paper

Last edited:

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
Max ==> Read: Mysterious Paper

It was titled "Κοσμικό παιχνίδι." Whatever that meant. But the writing below was plain enough.

‘Fore death and song and dance and life
Twixt Rules and Coulds and Naught and Change
To win the right to Cosmos’ knife
Roil chose for Them All a game.

The Time was now, the Turn had gone,
And She held in her hands the Choice.
Trickster Roil, ‘fore First Dawn,
Called for Sister Logic’s voice.

She said “I have a thought of fun--
A game to choose the next to reign!
I have no plans, alas not one,
Design for me the rules arcane~!”

Aykorn

Inkling Commander
NNID
A_korn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5939-8938-2753
Wade gaped at the stack of books Max had so graciously piled outside the room with wide-eyed shock and giddiness. He quickly pulled himself together, grinning and taking a seat outside the doorway, right next to the stack of books.

"Yeah, I'll be careful," Wade replied Max, with the flippancy of a child ignoring a parent's warning.

Wade 'carefully' rubbed his hands together, swiping the first... nah, first few books off the tower.

This wasn't quite the weapon guides he usually dug through --or even random inkipedia diving-- but Wade new how to find something he was looking for. He knew how to find the relevant tidbits from the walls of text, be it historical occurrences of rare diseases or details of Great Turf War era weaponry.

Wade laid out a few of the books and began comparing the covers. They had all been on the same shelf so maybe they were written by the same person? Or they were all grouped by subject. More importantly, which of these books looked most relevant right away? Something in the title or first few pages about the occult. Maybe drills or brainwashing even.

Examine: Stack of Books

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
Wade: Examine Stack of Books

With all this knowledge in tow, there was no way that this mystery would last long! Wade was sure of it.

...and then he flipped open a book. The pages were filled with
gobbledygook. That said, it was similar gobbledygook to that which they were collecting from the tunnels. Little symbols lined the pages in Greek, completely obscuring any meaning from being gathered.

Wade thought maybe this was just a fluke, but he went ahead and opened the next book and found much of the same. Another book and he found more carefully-etched, fanciful nonsense. Again and the same. Again; the same.

...these were all useful, he supposed, but definitely not in the way he'd been hoping.

Aykorn

Inkling Commander
NNID
A_korn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5939-8938-2753
Wade flipped through a couple more pages, looking for something with pictures, or maybe a legend or a guide on how to read this until he finally gave up looking for something easy to decipher. He sighed and tucked the book he currently had under his arm.

"Hey Max?" Wade called into the other room. Wade wasn't sure if he should walk into the other room despite this 'shield' Max had. He still couldn't see anything so it felt just as easy to step into something 'bad' without noticing.

"All these books are Greek, like the walls." Wade said, "They're impossible to read unless we do some code-cracking."

Deciphering these probably wasn't impossible, but it wouldn't be very smart or comfy on this tunnel floor. Wade stood up in the middle of his of spread out books, carefully stepping over his neat ring.

"You said the other room was clear, right?" Wade asked. Just to be sure, he let the mirror rest in his hand again, looking at the reflection of the doorway.

Pretty sure that this connecting room was safe, Wade shuffled over the entrance, peeking into the room with machinery.

Examine: machinery room from afar

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
"...They wanted me...to come here," Alga said, surprising even herself. "They...needed to talk to their master. I don't know who that is, but..."

The man glanced up from his work. "I have to ask which domain," he growled, slowly. "If I know their domain, then I know of whom they seek."

He brow was furrowed, though he seemed a less... mixed emotion now. He seemed focused now, as if he too had been gathering his thoughts.

He breathed deep then went on. "The world has forgotten. This was a place for the Order. Of learning and safety. A place for mortals. The Temple of Reality was for the Words. These laws have not been breached for centuries."

"I ask again," he said through clenched teeth, "do you know the domain of this Word? If not we can find out. Not by way of speaking to them--I shant allow that in this sacred place--but before that I'd prefer the simplest path. That is my query: of which domain is this Word?"

He seemed to be in an endless state of quiet irritation it looked like, and while it didn't bode too well for her nerves, Alga managed to contain herself fairly well this go around. He wasn't throwing a fit like he had been a little earlier, at least.

She wetted her lips and tentatively shook her head after a moment, tentacles swaying with the motion. "I...I really don't know... They just came when I was reading, I think."

But in the back of her mind, curiosity began to burn. Order, she sort of understood that. Words, especially knowing now that there were multiples of them, were more confusing, even given the Word's explanation awhile back. And the temple...

Maybe she would ask about it, if the man ever seemed to be in a better mood.

"Then that is how it is," he sighed. "Come then."

He moved to lead them outside. The two moved back to the picturesque garden, the flowers swaying in a wind that neither of them could feel.

As before, the man muttered something that Alga didn't understand. Then, with a theatrical--if boorish--upward gesture of his forearm, another island appeared ahead of them in the empty sky.

Between the two, a cobble bridge sluggishly pulled itself between the greenery of the islands. When it was done, it was as if it had always been there, arching catlike, connecting the floating lands.

They crossed.

On the other side, was a small atrium. Alga could swear she heard birds chirping, but could spy none of them as she walked between the columns. Her feet on the crisp, aromatic grass was the only other sound as they approached the heart of the much smaller building near the center.

In the shining sunlight of this floating land were four stones, similar gems and minerals to the pillars, in the temple yet inert.

They sat upon four carved, marble pedestals, gleaming austerely.

"Take one and hold it before you," the man snarled, perhaps as gently as his unusual language would allow.

She was quiet as they traversed out of the temple, partially as was her habit and partly out of sheer awe for the happenings around them. She might have lingered to gather in the sight, but unlike before, she was in company this time and so she kept moving. It didn't stop her from turning her head every which way, however.

When they reached their destination and Alga was given her orders, she hesitated momentarily before stepping forward. It didn't matter which one she picked first, did it...?

Alga stepped forward to one of the stones closest her and, gently, took the green one into her hands.

The emerald was cold to the touch. She wasn't sure what the man was looking for, but she held it out nonetheless.

After a moment, the man shook his head and motioned to set the stone down and to pick up another.

She nodded wordlessly and set it back down before moving to pick up the amber stone that sat next to her, stroking the polished mineral in her grip. She wondered what Domains were…

Alga tried again with the amber. Unlike the emerald, which had been cold and smooth, the amber seemed warm and... sticky to the touch. Like something alive.

She didn't want to hold it longer than she had to and luckily, the man grimaced and had her set it down. All the better.

Ew.

Alga couldn't resist the urge to rub her hand down on the leg of her pants and took the moment to glance towards the other stones. Two left.

Shuffling over, she glanced between the ruby and obsidian stones before reaching over to take the red gem into her hands, glancing over at the man inquisitively.

Almost instantly, this one felt different. Though it was the least artfully carved and when she picked it up, nothing visibly happened, she could sense some sort of power clasping her.

Then, it was as if a large weight she hadn't noticed was lifted. She shuddered. The man nodded.

"Reality, then," he muttered. "That Word shall be confined to that gem for the nonce. Come."

He turned to leave.

Though the weight was lifted, the man's words gave her an all too familiar feeling in the pit of her stomach. She took a breath and swallowed. Not this time...

"I-" Alga paused. "...Th-They'll...return where they were when this is done, won't they? Err..." Maybe that wasn't right. Maybe they wanted this. "I-I mean- I just... Do you think they're okay with that..."

"I care not whether they're okay with it or not," the man snarled. "I shall not sit idly while our sacred traditions are broken. Intentionally or no."

He breathed deep, sucking in through his nose, then breathing out through clenched teeth. "I will return the Word to you afterwards if that is your wish, but not before you leave this place."

He let go of her mirror, which he'd been clenching this whole time. As if through some natural magnetism, it returned to Alga's hand, as if it had never left.

Perhaps it was a sign of good faith?

Alga stared silently down at the items in her grip, looking from the mirror to the stone in her hands. It wasn't the best answer, and something inside of her ached for the Word's plight, but...

"...Okay..."

He had promised to give them back at the end. She had that much at least. Maybe they could tolerate it until then…

The man nodded curtly, then they stomped across the bridge and back to the temple.

Once the man was sitting back where he'd begun, he explained, "You are looking for Order themselves. The maker of reality and the one that gave everything its place. Why?"

Alga glanced down and thumbed at the stone in her hands, the mirror having been placed back within her backpack. It was a good question, and one she didn't know the answer to.

"I...don't know, really... The Word had said it was, um...urgent...I think. The only thing they had me do was, uh..." Her brow furrowed. "...bring a jar of water."

Order... Religious entities did exist, then...?

He frowned, glancing for the first time at the jar. "I know not why they'd have you bring... a jar of water. Did anything prompt their action? Words of reality do not act without reason."

Alga pondered the question. They had been insistent on their mission from the get-go, almost ever since she had acquired them. She hadn't really stopped to think about it, figuring it had been something well out of her understanding.

"...I don't know. They just-"

A flash of memory came to her. A hanging void in a kitchen and the Word's nervous expression. She winced without thinking.

"Um..." Alga chewed her lip as she tried to find the words. "I... There was something that they didn't like... S-So I can see things, right? Ever since I...er...got from this world to the real one, I can see a lot of stuff. One of the things I saw was this...big black hole in the middle of the room? A-And when I told them they looked...not happy.

"I...don't know if that's what they're worried about. I-It could be anything else. There were a lot of other holes outside, smaller though, so maybe it's normal...?"

He blinked. "Naught comes before its time?"

"I...guess...?"

A flash of a demented grin came to her and her breath caught in her throat.

"...This might not be related, b-but... I was going somewhere, and I was in that-that mirror world. One of the reflections looked... Um. Bad. And there was...a lot of black goo on the floor. ...Do you know what was...? I-I haven't really told the Word, yet..."

It just looked so different from what she was familiar with. Out of place. Wrong, even. And things had moved too fast to say something, between passing out and having to go on this trip…

He muttered, as if not even thinking about the answer. "Could or could not be. Unreality that parallels reality reflects the state of how a thing seems to those who frequent it. Elsewise, they are cultured like this temple to be something else entirely."

"When did you observe these pockets of Void?" he asked, frowning.

She thought a moment, scooting back through her memories. "Just...yesterday, I think. Or, well, last night..."

He nodded gravely.

The man stood. The air began to tremor. Slowly, with strained effort, the man wrenched his arms abreast. He pushed against the air as if it were stone collapsing on him from both sides. The emerald, again, pulsed with power.

With another burst of effort, he heaved and pushed away with both left and right. His arms now taut, Alga's attention was turned to movement in the building. The walls, so solid around her, depicting the shifting world, fell away like the walls of a dollhouse.

In their place was the night sky, but now all around her. A sudden cold chilled the sanctuary. Alga's neck bristled then and she noticed the man glaring at her. He was a mere meter away, holding out a burly hand.

"Clasp," he commanded, as if talking to a pet. "At the same time, remember where you saw the hollows."

The whole thing was unbelievable, and for a moment she couldn't stop staring at the scenery around her. She had been out during the night, sure, had even been in fields on occasion during the hour, but this felt... Too expansive. Almost empty.

It was unnerving.

Her reverie was broken by the man's command and hastily she turned to look at him. Questions bit in her throat, a curiosity burning inside her, but the expression he wore made her swallow them back.

Gently did Alga place the stone in a side pocket of her bag, and it was then she remembered her gun which had been neglected on the floor. Hastily scooting over to pick it up, she slid it as well as it would go into her bag and returned to the Inkling before her.

Remember this place...? She would try.

Alga's hand reached out, tentatively outstretched, and as she grasped the other her mind went back to the strange happenings of the night before. They weren't hard to draw up; the pockets of nothingness were almost too vivid in her mind…

The man closed his eyes and before them a screen hovered.

No.

Not a screen.

A mirror

It had appeared from nothing but there it was. No framing. Just the reflective surface. And soon, its image shifted to show the shapes Alga was envisioning.

The man opened his eyes. He studied the image. Then nodded gravely.

"Do you know anything of these?" he asked, solemnly.

Alga almost lost her train of thought she was so taken by the spectacle, and in the back of her mind she wondered just how much he seemed to know about her. He hadn't seemed surprised by her knowledge of being able to see things, come to think of it...

"...I don't." She thought hard on what the word had said. "Just... Wh-What had they said... It comes? ...N-Not its turn, but they were there anyway."

The man 'humph'd as if Alga had asked him why water flowed downward. The information seemed obvious to him.

His wrinkles worked to emphasize his frown as he said, "the next Turn comes when everything that can understand stops observing that which is. Needless to say, that hasn't happened yet. After all, you're still alive. And so am I--"

He looked back to the twisted reflection before continuing "...After a fashion."

Alga followed his gaze inquisitively, her own brow furrowing as she processed the words. None of this was making sense...

"Turn...? What..." She rubbed at her face. "I-I'm sorry. It's just...a lot. I don't get much of it..." She hadn't even known Gods really existed up until, what? Half an hour ago maybe? It was near overwhelming...

He ground his teeth, clearly impatient with such an obvious question. "It is the medium through which we're all here. Order's Turn." He shook his head. "How about, to make this clearer, I just say that our continued existence is coming to a sudden inexplicable halt should these events proceed."

His gnashing teeth grinding against each other framed his thick jaw underneath the thick tangle of beard. "And further, this is an event on a cosmic level and, while there is likely little we can do, we can inform Order of that which is occurring, though..."

He trailed off.

That's... Oh.

Alga really didn't know how to feel about that. She wasn't even sure if she believed it, somewhere in her mind. It felt almost like it wasn't even real...

She chewed her lip and gave him an uncertain look until he went quiet. Her thoughts drifted towards the stone settled in her backpack, the Word's mission, and she gave a tentative nod. There was. nothing else she could really do.

"How...?"

The man massaged his temple before continuing. "Go to the Temple of Reality--" on the mirror an image of the decrepit temple she'd seen coalesced, "find the deepest pool--" an image of dark placid waters replaced the temple's image, "and speak what you must."

He breathed out deeply. The walls of the temple returned in a flash, boxing them in again. He returned to his scrolls, scowling all the way.

She could see growing irritation setting in his frame, a fact that made a stiffness settle through her muscles. That was the information she needed, and by all accounts her mission was accomplished, but...

They were similar. Really similar, it felt like. And she didn't know if she mght ever find out more about it if she left here.

Alga left the man in silence for a long moment, both to maybe let him relax and organize her own thoughts. Eventually, when she spoke, her voice was nigh inaudible, but she tried to pay it no mind. He seemed to hear her no matter how she talked.

"D-Do you...know what I am? ...The Word c-called me a Seer, but...you seem similar... A-And I don't really get it much." Alga flushed and looked away. That was too many words. "Sorry..."

Without looking up the man said, "the Word Read you. The ironic joke in the cosmic naming conventions is that we call them Words, when in truth, we are open books to them.

"When one finds a proper host, they can Read your ever-changing story like you're an open book. Your thoughts, worries and fears. Even things you wouldn't or couldn't know yourself. All except your future choices.

"If I were to guess on what that means, the Word intends to imply that your Awakening grants you great vision in some way. I'm amazed you've come here without understanding that much. As such, the title likely only has meaning to the Word and you."

"...What about you...?"

Alga winced just the moment she spoke the words. She'd slipped up and her curiosity had gotten the best of her; the man probably wouldn't appreciate that in particular…

He looked up, a serious look on his face. But... he wasn't angry. He just looked contemplative.

"My Awakening was only a brush against the Bellerophon; I wasn't a suitable host for any I encountered and didn't think it worth my time to find one," he said, though there was a bit of regret in his tone.

"That said, I survived the encounter, and I've learned myself through trial and error." He spoke with the pride of a master and the eagerness of a child now, with his serious tone only lending him an air of professionalism about what he had clearly dedicated his life to. "Within the Domains of Unreality, I have unparalleled control over its manifestations, unrestricted by the limitations of Thoughtspace. I cannot, however, manipulate any symbolic paraphernalia which are so common in the Thoughtspaces of Unreality

"But all of this that you see here?" he motioned around, "this is my work. Together, with the raw Subconscious of Order themselves, I was able to maintain alone the last of our Brotherhood."

He absolutely glowed with pride, standing tall. He had seemed massive before, but now, he seemed to stand a whole head taller.

She watched him with an air of idle wonderment, even as the meaning of half of what he'd said flew right over her head. It was like stepping into another world where Gods and Words and fantasy existed and everything she was used to simply didn't. In a sense, it was stepping into another world. It was overwhelming, perhaps unnerving, and somewhat fascinating all at once.

"...It looks...really nice. I like it... W-Would the Brotherhood be people sort of like...us?"

"That would be one way to categorize us," he huffed, "though more accurately, we're dedicated to the Gods which Reality is shaped by.

"The gift of Awakening is a simple byproduct of deeper understanding of one's place in the world as a being blessed with sentience."

"I...see."

It made sense, she guessed, for the Brotherhood to be people like her. Still, it was...surprising. She'd thought herself an anomaly, and in a sense she still was. Words gave people power, and her Word had given her...maybe too much of it, if she was being honest.

And speaking of Words...

Alga turned her head to look at the stone sitting in her backpack, and after a moment reached over to settle it in her hands. He'd spoken of Words finding suitable hosts, and Words reading their hosts even when those hosts couldn't understand themselves. It wasn't a nicely phrased explanation, and she didn't like the idea of being read so openly, but...

Well. She wasn't as bothered about the whole thing as she thought she would have been.

Stroking the ruby with her thumb, Alga looked at the man in front of her. She'd gotten what she had come here for; now she just needed to put the Word back where they belonged.

"...How do you...put the Word back...?" It would be nice to maybe stay here longer, but she wasn't sure if she wanted to keep her friend in there longer than was necessary. "Sh-Should I leave, or-?"

He huffed. "Take the gem when you leave; it should deteriorate after a few seconds of leaving this realm. Without my power to sustain it, its lifespan will be limited."

"...Right."

All she had to do was just...leave, then. Simple enough.

...Shame, though. This place was nice, and learning about gods was a better pastime than whatever boring stuff the real world had for her. Maybe it wouldn't hurt to come back one day... Maybe.

Alga looked back towards the entrance, skirting her gaze past the four pillars and glancing over the crack-riddled carvings. After a moment, her gaze moved back towards the man, her expression riddled with indecision. She spoke quickly.

"E-Er... Thank you, um..." She paused, thought a minute, and flushed. "...I-I didn't get your name, sorry..."

"And you don't need it," the man shot back. "My title will suffice: I am the Greater Student. Now go. We both have work to do."

Alga flinched. Okay, maybe she would think about a return trip. Think about it hard.

"...O-Okay." And with that, she turned to leave. No need to outstay her welcome...

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
(( oof this didn't fit ))

Alga shuffled out of the temple, the rainbow flowers dancing in an unseen wind. The door she had come through was back, whether from the Greater Student's influence or something else, she couldn't know. Still, she knew what that meant.

What next?

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
Wade: Examine Machinery Room

The room was bigger than the library... perhaps four times as big really.
Its ceiling was tall, allowing for a few armored vehicles to park there with room to spare. A few desks were littered with papers and there was one terminal in Wade's view, though for what purpose he could only guess.

> Perception Roll (Savvy + Savvy)
> Dice Pool 6

> 4 Successes

He was just considering investigating the room further when Wade heard the voices. They were speaking in hushed tones, but they were slowly getting louder.

Wade strained to hear them... were they coming from the stairs? Or from the room? His hearts beat loudly in his ears, making it hard to tell. Where were they coming from?

They were getting closer. Remembering Max's
meditative mumbo jumbo, Wade did the first thing that came to mind. He breathed deep.

When he let out his breath, he redoubled his efforts with only a slightly clouded mind. In a split second, he could tell the voices were coming from the machinery room.

What now?

Hesoca

Full Squid
...Max wasn't sure which made less sense: the baleful symbols lining the scroll, or the poem taken from them. At best, there was a secret code somewhere in its randomly capitalized letters; at worst, there was a warning, some perverse prophecy which guided the hand of the corruption against him. In any case, it was better in his hands than on the table, and he folded the translation into the pages of the journal with the rest of the symbols he'd scribbled down.

There was little else to find, it seemed. Nonetheless, as he turned to leave, his gaze caught on the frail figure of the scroll resting above the desk. It wasn't something he needed (after all, he'd copied the whole scroll just moments before), but to the person who owned this desk... well, it was worth enough for them to translate, wasn't it?

He paused, tracing the bounds of the scroll with a gesture. It was in dire state. Nicks and scrapes and broken corners marked between the letters; if he tried to take it, it'd probably crumble right in his grip. And yet... a destroyed scroll was as useful to the enemy as a lost one.

With a sneer, Max leapt onto the top of the desk and turned to the scroll. Tch. Either way, it was better in his hands than in his enemy's grip.

Take: Scroll of Ancient Unholy Letters

Aykorn

Inkling Commander
NNID
A_korn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5939-8938-2753
Wade spun around and backed up next to the doorway, just out of sight from the other room. He took another slow breath, in through the mouth, out through the nose.

There were people in the other room.

Holy carp, there were actual people in the other room. Wade had heard footsteps last night, but he never got close enough to actually see who was chasing them. These guys? They were just in the other room.

Wade slapped his forehead. Of course there were people coming this way. Everyone in mile radius probably heard Max and him freaking out about their powers! Guuuuh.

Is this what people call a 'rookie mistake?' "Don't give away where you are in the enemy base by shouting a bunch?" Wade thought.

Considering this was some secret Deepview tunnel for arcane madness, these people probably didn't like loud teenagers, or people snooping through their books. They clearly had ways of dealing with people who knew too much. A memory of Simone, crying and wracking his brain for details flashed through Wade's head.

Wade found himself already holding the bamboozler, already syncing in preparation. He was not going to get caught.

This was 'guys' plural though and probably not some person talking to themselves. Even if he could pick them off from afar, Wade was outnumbered by himself.

So what would he do?

He needed Max. At the very least, that would even the numbers. They could both fire through the narrow doorway and hold the position.

Would it be worth it to fight? Wade remembered what Jax had said yesterday, about making the right decision to hide or fight. If these people were lured here by the bickering from earlier, then they already knew he and Max were here. There would be no place to hide except...

Wade looked over the to bookcase room.

Well, he couldn't see it, but there was a darkness covering the entire room. If Max was so off-put by it, maybe a few sentries wouldn't bother delving into the darkness for some voices. If the two of them stayed in Max's shield-bubble and moved to the back of the room, maybe then they could hide.

...Or maybe Max would lose his cool and the shield would go down, leaving them at the mercy of the darkness. Or worse, maybe these deepview guys were immune to miasmas because they such sub-inkling jerks that they got corruption powers.

Or ...something.

Either way, Wade needed Max here for a confrontation. Where was he? Wade was about to call out to him, but he realized he didn't want to yelling again. The people were chatting so they obviously weren't being stealthy. They didn't realize that Wade could hear them yet. Which was good.

Wade just needed a way to get Max over here without being loud... or stepping into the darkness blindly. But how?

An idea came to Wade. Staying where he was, he pulled out his flashlight and shined it inside the bookcase room, blinking it and trying to get Max's attention.

...This might work,
he thought. Could Max even see the torchlight in the darkness...? He just needed Max to step outside the room and notice. Before these people got closer.

Wade kept his breath still, trying to listen closer to what the people were saying. How far off were they...?

Signal: Max
Examine/Listen: to the voices

Last edited:

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
(( @seth_the_inkling Tabletop is great, but I would argue that forum RPing allows you to meet people you otherwise wouldn't be able to. Plus the added time allows you to make a more quality story, where tabletop is more conducive to random antics and funny impromtu.

That said, it would be appreciated if you didn't respond on the IC Thread. It's bad manners. If you want to talk about this further, DM me, but otherwise please to not post here again. ^u^ ))

Max: Take Scroll && Wade: Signal Max

Quickly, Max rolled up and pocketed the scroll.
There would be time later to discover its significance. If anything, it'll throw a wench in the schemes of whomever was translating this. The thought of some Octarian thug scowling or some Suit with a tie up his rear having to explain the missing document to his superior filled Max with some boyish glee. He grinned.

> Signal Max (Charismatics + Savvy)
> Dice Pool 7
> 2 Successes

Turning back to check on the kid, Max caught Wade eyeing him, a single finger beckoning him. He looked worried. Max's brow furrowed in dismay, and his gait changed to a more serious one as he half-snuck, half-sauntered over to Wade.

Max gestured in what he hoped was the universal sign for 'what's up?' making sure to keep discreet in case of any corrupted monsters or Deepview Agents.

Wade: Examine Sounds

Wade signaled Max and he was coming.
Cool. Now what? Fight? Hide? He figured he'd try to hear what they'd have to say. Maybe the course of action would be clearer. M-maybe it would be too much to hope for that they didn't hear the two boys randomly fighting over who'd seen what?

Maybe?

"Oy swore Oy 'eard it from o'er 'ere?"

No, Wade supposed not.

"C'mon, 'oo'd be fool 'nuff ta make a racket durin' an inspection? 's right 'gainst policy it is."

"Maybe 'nother one went too close to the... that room. It did seem 'ta..."

They were getting closer. Wade was pressed up against the wall just on the other side of the machinery room. Max was pressed up against the wall with him. At least he'd had the sense to keep quiet for now... surely he heard the voices now too?

They're somewhere close. Maybe just about to round the corner. What now?

Banshee

Full Squid
NNID
Laddy-Daddy
Alga took a backwards glance at the temple and stared for a long moment, trying to imprint the scene in her mind before she left it. Who knew when she was going to come back, if she even was at all...

With her hands cradled about the stone in which the Word was held, she took a breath and stepped forwards towards the door that awaited her. She could take a quick pit-stop home and maybe grab a thing or two before continuing on...

Go Home

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
Jax ==> Talk/Fight

"Oy! ‘oo goes there!"

Jax readied his gun. "I return the question," he quipped.

Neither statement was a question however. They were commands.

When neither spoke first, Jax took the initiative and rolled out into the open, leaving a defensive trail of ink behind him to retreat in case of a numbers advantage.

The narrow pathway would be better if it were many against one, but if it were a one on one, he'd have a better chance where he might be able to maneuver.

Two Octolings. He knew the one who’d talked. He grinned. Jax knew all he needed. He opened fire.

One already had a blade at the ready, the inked edges coursing with her life, her color. The other just stepped back to get extra ground.

"Oh, so i's gonna be like tha'?" His old friend frowned. "Germ, kill 'im."

The one Felix called 'Germ' stepped forward as he stepped back.

Jax smiled. Just like old times.

He didn't recognize this new Octoling, so he didn't waste any time acquainting himself. Neither did she.

The Octoling closed in as Jax ducked behind a corner to take a few shots at her. He wasn’t sure what that blade was, but he knew he was probably safe from it so long as he took cover--

The girl pressed up against the wall, one pellet dashing against her armor and another glancing her cheek. Jax’s instinctual satisfaction was short lived however, because too late, he saw the whip of ink lashing around the corner.

How… was the only thought that managed to form before he was lashed over the legs with a thin bladelike whip of ink curving around the corner.

Stung, he fell back but his opponent didn’t hesitate. She rushed forward, taking advantage of the surprise attack to carve a path.

There was no way he’d win a prolonged battle. He had to pepper her down from a safe range otherwise.

Not bothering to ink more, Jax put all his effort into retreating hopping from puddle to puddle as the girl stole the turf from under his feet.

It was in one of her swings that he saw his opportunity. Bracing himself, he took another shot. One connected with her cheek and her face lit in rage and shock.

He didn’t have a moment to be self-satisfied. There was only one moment to act and finish this. To subdue her.

He was about to rush forward to get her in a bind when he was caught by the arm.

Aight aight, the farce is over, ‘kay. Ya’ve not lost yer edge. Tha’s certainly reassurin’.” Felix smiled. “Now stop beatin’ up on poor Germ ‘ere.

Would’a ‘ad ya…” Jax could hear the other Octoling grumble. He could swear there was a hint of real malace there. She… probably would have really cut him down. That would be a real inconvenience. He’d have to watch out for her.

Germ,” Felix barked, “ya would’a ‘ad ‘im if ya’d actually used the fact that ya had all the turf in the world, and noticed ‘is weapon can’t ink worf a shake. Ya lost fair ‘n’ square. Deal.

The soldier-girl ‘Germ’ pouted.

Now come on Jaxy-boy,” Felix began. Before Jax could protest against the nickname, Felix continued, “we ‘ave big boy ma’ers to discuss. Like, country-wide big boy matters. S’put on yer big boy pants and stop relivin’ our glory days.

Our glory days,” Jax repeated knowingly. But he followed nonetheless. He was right, there was something afoot and this had been a childish waste of time.

Follow/Talk w/ Felix

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom