• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

NA Splatfest: Hot Dog vs. Marshmallow

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
Um, I'm confused... I wasn't even implementing any ratios into my example at all. Just division, 140/100, only work as far as a whole number, then do something with the remainder, and that's have them fight themselves.

I also do not get your argument of not having themed teams (and a choice) in a Splafest sans popularity factoring into the score. It's a cute motivation to choose a side to fight for, and if you get my argument above where teams have equal opportunity to win anyways with the only factor being performance, it's not hurting anything.
I was giving a better ratio for an example to the last splatfest. I also never said no themed teams, just there would be more incentive to choose the less popular team if popularity vote stopped being a determining factor. As I said before it is less fun to fight your own team and it is less fun to be a team of 1 vs 4. It is more common to fight your own team on the popular side than be a team of 1, so more people would prefer the less popular side. I think there is absolutely no way to make splatfests 'balanced' but if they did make large adjustments to the scoring I would want them to equally divide the teams just for the sake of being more fun.

Ryuho

Pro Squid
NNID
FurryRyuho
The general problem with joining the less or more popular team overall imo is that you really have no indication which is going to be more popular unless you wait and check statistics from outside sources. Cats are hugely popular online yet were outnumbered 2-1 in the splatfest, I saw people mostly thinking hotdog would win this popular vote but ended up having a similar turn out to the Cats vs Dogs splatfest.

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
The general problem with joining the less or more popular team overall imo is that you really have no indication which is going to be more popular unless you wait and check statistics from outside sources. Cats are hugely popular online yet were outnumbered 2-1 in the splatfest, I saw people mostly thinking hotdog would win this popular vote but ended up having a similar turn out to the Cats vs Dogs splatfest.
Miiverse gives a pretty good gauge for when thee teams have a huge gap in size- even all the polls for splatfest on here and other places had team dogs slightly more popular. I saw around just a single person thinking hot dogs would be the more popular team. Splatfest is weird and I think it isn't meant to be that balanced of an event, but developers didn't expect people to take them so seriously.

DarkGold777

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DarkGold777
I was giving a better ratio for an example to the last splatfest. I also never said no themed teams, just there would be more incentive to choose the less popular team if popularity vote stopped being a determining factor. As I said before it is less fun to fight your own team and it is less fun to be a team of 1 vs 4. It is more common to fight your own team on the popular side than be a team of 1, so more people would prefer the less popular side. I think there is absolutely no way to make splatfests 'balanced' but if they did make large adjustments to the scoring I would want them to equally divide the teams just for the sake of being more fun.
Wait, how do 1 to 3 vs 4s happen anyways? I've had moments of me getting a team of 4 before the Splatfest match, and then I suddenly enter minus at least one player, and not because of disconnecting.

Also, I don't like the idea of being shoved onto a team with a theme you don't prefer just because there's no equality. I agree that it can be bothersome to people facing their own team, but in my personal opinion, I think that doing that and getting rid of the popularity score are the best bet for Splatfest right now...although I feel like you're onto something with team quantity affecting the population of matches.

Also, sorry, but can you explain in more detail how you got those ratios? I still don't comprehend what you did there... Am I just derping on that?
Miiverse gives a pretty good gauge for when thee teams have a huge gap in size- even all the polls for splatfest on here and other places had team dogs slightly more popular. I saw around just a single person thinking hot dogs would be the more popular team. Splatfest is weird and I think it isn't meant to be that balanced of an event, but developers didn't expect people to take them so seriously.
I'm more bothered by at least what I perceive is their logic, not so much by winning or losing. It doesn't help that the rules for determining scores were hard to find, not to mention not even said anywhere in the game until the results are tallied.

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
Wait, how do 1 to 3 vs 4s happen anyways? I've had moments of me getting a team of 4 before the Splatfest match, and then I suddenly enter minus at least one player, and not because of disconnecting.

Also, I don't like the idea of being shoved onto a team with a theme you don't prefer just because there's no equality. I agree that it can be bothersome to people facing their own team, but in my personal opinion, I think that doing that and getting rid of the popularity score are the best bet for Splatfest right now...although I feel like you're onto something with team quantity affecting the population of matches.

Also, sorry, but can you explain in more detail how you got those ratios? I still don't comprehend what you did there... Am I just derping on that?

I'm more bothered by at least what I perceive is their logic, not so much by winning or losing. It doesn't help that the rules for determining scores were hard to find, not to mention not even said anywhere in the game until the results are tallied.
Oh the ratio was the literal popularity percentages so I just figured out of every 100 inklings there would be 64 marshmallow flavored ones to every 34 hot dog flavored ones.
And when you enter a battle with less team mates you can look at the top of the screen where the 8 squid icons are. If your the squid icons for your missing team mate are blank (just outlines) it means the matchmaking couldn't find a member of your team to join you or that person left early during matchmaking. If it is gray with an X over its eyes (as if they were splatted) That means they lost connection later in matchmaking or during the game itself. I think it has something to do with how it matches you up with a team of 4 before it even looks for a team of 4 for you to go up against- if someone drops out after it already locked in your team of 4 then I don't think the matchmaking will try and fill the empty spot.

DarkGold777

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DarkGold777
Oh the ratio was the literal popularity percentages so I just figured out of every 100 inklings there would be 64 marshmallow flavored ones to every 34 hot dog flavored ones.
And when you enter a battle with less team mates you can look at the top of the screen where the 8 squid icons are. If your the squid icons for your missing team mate are blank (just outlines) it means the matchmaking couldn't find a member of your team to join you or that person left early during matchmaking. If it is gray with an X over its eyes (as if they were splatted) That means they lost connection later in matchmaking or during the game itself. I think it has something to do with how it matches you up with a team of 4 before it even looks for a team of 4 for you to go up against- if someone drops out after it already locked in your team of 4 then I don't think the matchmaking will try and fill the empty spot.
Oh, I know all about what the icons mean; I didn't realize how players could drop out after your team becomes ready. But shouldn't it kick you back to the lobby if you can't find enough players all within connection range for a Splatfest team? That seems odd that it would just carry on like that and not give an opportunity to search elsewhere, even if it wastes time, I'll admit.

Also, that example I did is not supposed to be impacted by popularity percentages. It was more of a 240 population Splatfest. I just used those teams just because of last Splatfest. You could very well call them Team Pie and Team Cake if you want.

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
Oh, I know all about what the icons mean; I didn't realize how players could drop out after your team becomes ready. But shouldn't it kick you back to the lobby if you can't find enough players all within connection range for a Splatfest team? That seems odd that it would just carry on like that and not give an opportunity to search elsewhere, even if it wastes time, I'll admit.

Also, that example I did is not supposed to be impacted by popularity percentages. It was more of a 240 population Splatfest. I just used those teams just because of last Splatfest. You could very well call them Team Pie and Team Cake if you want.
Team Pie all the way.
Some players might never get to play if it kept kicking you back in the lobby. I have had times where the matchmaker will only put 2 or 3 people on my team and then say it is ready and start looking for the other team haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom