• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

NA Splatfest: Hot Dog vs. Marshmallow

Egregore

Splash Wall of China
NNID
NoGoodEndings
Well Marshmallows won, so this means I won my first Splatfest! I had no idea Marshmallows would be the more popular choice, but I won't complain! Anyways, go Team Mallow!

Mallow ain't no marshmallow. Don't you drag him into this! :confused:

Pivi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
HeroPivi
I lost, but can anyone really complain about 18 super sea snails?
Chances are I'll side with Marie every splatfest regardless lmao

NickFury

Inkling
NNID
TheFabeledFish
Maybe this is just me being a salty dog, but I still feel whoever wins the most battles should get .5 added to their multiplier.

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
I'm convinced that I'm cursed at this point. Three in a row. And if I just choose what's more popular, I won't even have fun with it. This sucks.

Beerox

Inkster Jr.
Winless in Splatfests, argh. I am surprised that Hot Dogs won more matches though... I was on soooo many bad teams. Many miserable matches were had, of the 20%-80% variety. Rough day.

Should have been a Burger-Hot Dog matchup, really... What does dessert have to do with the main course? Of course people want to skip the meal!

DarkGold777

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DarkGold777
While I'm happy I won another Splatfest, again: I'm no fan of popularity having a factor in this. In my opinion, mixing a popularity contest with a battling competition is a recipe for disaster and controversy.

But for my case, I guess it's a symbolic apology to me for being on the losing Team Cat despite our winning percentage triumphing.

BackwardCap

The Ink Brush Samurai
NNID
BackwardCap
If popularity wasn't a factor then based on the current trends, the less popular team would always win. I think a x4 modifier is way more than enough, marshmallows was simply more loved than hotdogs by a huge margin.

In other news... my splatfest record is now: 2 W / 1 L

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
If popularity wasn't a factor then based on the current trends, the less popular team would always win. I think a x4 modifier is way more than enough, marshmallows was simply more loved than hotdogs by a huge margin.

In other news... my splatfest record is now: 2 W / 1 L
There are Splatfests where sides won with both popularity and wins. Japan's Rice Team and Milk Tea Team and EU's Rock Team won this way.

Ryuho

Pro Squid
NNID
FurryRyuho
This is technically my second loss I guess. I picked roller coasters for the second one and apparently they won but I wasnt able to be around for the results so I dont even know how it went or if I was rewarded or not
But it feels really crappy that no matter how hard I fought my team pretty much had no chance. 18 snails are nice but it still feels like my team didnt have a legitimate chance. Unless we outplayed the other team by a massive margin we simply didnt have any chance against a team double our size :(

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
Yeah, that's the thing. We Hot Dogs fans may have won in terms of battle victories but we just did not have enough of a percentage there to overcome the popularity factor. Same thing with Green Tanuki Soba, Cats, and Sleeping from before 2.0.0 (though more so with a lesser victory multiplier). I actually wrote up a little document that discusses the formulae I used in my Splatfest scorecard to determine how many points the underdogs really needed to win. It's worth a read just so long as you don't mind seeing plenty of math.

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
Well EU just got similar results to Roller Coasters Vs Water Slides with a similar ratio of the popularity split and South Pole having less popularity but more wins and ultimately winning overall. It is possible to win with less popularity.

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
Well EU just got similar results to Roller Coasters Vs Water Slides with a similar ratio of the popularity split and South Pole having less popularity but more wins and ultimately winning overall. It is possible to win with less popularity.
True, though there wasn't such a big rift in the popularity vote as we had in NA. In fact, the popularity vote was so close that the underdogs just needed to win in the victory category period to take it all. Maybe there is something going for "Burgers vs. Hot Dogs" being a more balanced choice for our Splatfest after all.

Also, noticed something funny. The winning teams of both Splatfests this weekend had the exact same overall score of 256. It might just be coincidence but it's still interesting.

dapperlace

Pro Squid
Finally part of a winning Splatfest team. I've been in the loser's side both of the other times. One day I'll achieve the goal of being on the winning side that actually won the most battles.

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
True, though there wasn't such a big rift in the popularity vote as we had in NA. In fact, the popularity vote was so close that the underdogs just needed to win in the victory category period to take it all. Maybe there is something going for "Burgers vs. Hot Dogs" being a more balanced choice for our Splatfest after all.

Also, noticed something funny. The winning teams of both Splatfests this weekend had the exact same overall score of 256. It might just be coincidence but it's still interesting.
Yeah I see, Roller Coasters vs Waterslides had 46/54 popularity split and North Pole/South Pole had 52/48.

Burgers may have the advatage of McDonalds and its kind being everywhere, Krabby Patties and maybe Maya Fey (Ace Attorney) for memes to help boost it in popularity so not so sure there.

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
Roller Coaster vs Water Slide was closer because both are incredibly fun and people enjoy both and that made it harder to predict which would be the most popular. Which I think may be why that was the most fun of the three splatfests so far.
I agree that the closer in size the teams are the more fun splatfest is. The EU's North/South Pole and NA's RollerCoaster/Water Sides are good examples.

subata

Full Squid
NNID
cyradius
lost cats, won roller coasters, and lost on hotdogs.
i keep picking the less popular team that ends up winning the battle portion, but usually not the splatfest itself.

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
Burgers may have the advatage of McDonalds and its kind being everywhere, Krabby Patties and maybe Maya Fey (Ace Attorney) for memes to help boost it in popularity so not so sure there.
Hmm, of course there'd be a complication there.

Well, in any case I'm looking forward to what our next Splatfest themes would be. Maybe Nintendo will finally get someone to sponsor one in NA or EU. Like, say, Apple for "iPads vs. MacBooks"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom