• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

NA Splatfest: Hot Dog vs. Marshmallow

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
Hmm, of course there'd be a complication there.

Well, in any case I'm looking forward to what our next Splatfest themes would be. Maybe Nintendo will finally get someone to sponsor one in NA or EU. Like, say, Apple for "iPads vs. MacBooks"?
Maybe something a bit more accessible for the demographic? I also think the sponsored JP ones were nice because they were food and not something so upper middle class and something that people already would have an opinion on which is better.

DarkGold777

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DarkGold777
If popularity wasn't a factor then based on the current trends, the less popular team would always win. I think a x4 modifier is way more than enough, marshmallows was simply more loved than hotdogs by a huge margin.

In other news... my splatfest record is now: 2 W / 1 L
But popularity does not effect the Splatfest win percentage at all. While teams that face each other will win and lose simultaneously, having no effect on their team's win percentage, a team HAS to face the other to get a win, also giving the other team an opportunity to get a win. That way, it's always evenly matched in terms of numbers, and if the popularity factor is abolished, Splatfest becomes a true competition not affected by which team has more or less popularity at all, which is the point I'm trying to make: Splatfest should not factor in popularity, and it's easy to make that happen.

itisRag

friendly neighborhood rag
NNID
itisrag
I think re: theme choices in the latest splatfest, people are forgetting that theme was "I'd rather roast a..."

It has nothing to do with eating the food or which is one's favorite food. It was simply either rather roast a marshmallow or rather roast a hot dog. As in, which one is more fun to roast?

Yuubi

Full Squid
I am glad that I do not take splatfest actually serious ... Though now having three loses in every splatfest no matter how hard I try. It is starting to get under my skin. It does not help either with the winning and the salty side of miiverse posts talking smack about the losing side, but hey I've got 54 snails now... So I shouldn't complain. I probably won't join the next splatfest though.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Bad news: I didn't get to play in the Splatfest :(

Good news: I got 2 Snails anyways :scared:

Superjustinbros

Pro Squid
NNID
AozoraJustin
And I picked Hot Dog expecting it to be the most popular choice.
How wrong I was.
And I get another Splatfest loss etched onto me.
(as if I didn't hate them already for forcing you into one game mode and one shirt (as if the color your Inkling's hair and other clothing is doesn't make it obvious enough what side you're on).

I still want there to be a way to earn Shells outside of Splatfests, like make them a rare drop after battles.

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
I am glad that I do not take splatfest actually serious ... Though now having three loses in every splatfest no matter how hard I try. It is starting to get under my skin. It does not help either with the winning and the salty side of miiverse posts talking smack about the losing side, but hey I've got 54 snails now... So I shouldn't complain. I probably won't join the next splatfest though.
I started taking them less seriously after the team cat fiasco and I think it is more fun when teams are even. I think even if you lose the highest rank for both teams still nets you an almost equal prize so I just play to reach rank for the most part. I am hoping the next splatfest will be pretty balanced team wise.

There's been a lot of complaining on Miiverse and these forums regarding how the winning team is determined during Splatfests. I want to keep my SEVENTY-TWO SUPER SEA SNAILS away from these copious levels of salt, so I'm going to take the time to explain the justification for the popular vote.
While admittedly imperfect, the popular vote exists to correct an advantage the less popular team has due to the matchmaking system. The more popular team will often play "Dog eat Dog" matches against itself, meaning that the more popular team has to play more overall matches to contribute the same amount as a player on the less popular team. And I don't know about you guys, but two and a half straight hours of Turf War to get to max rank is enough for me. As soon as I hit King, I'm done.
Nintendo has already buffed the win multiplier to x4. Unless they change matchmaking to guarantee no Dog eat Dogs the popular vote has to stay. Stop complaining, and I'll see you all on the splattlefield.

redacteddd

Banned (6 points)
Nintendo has already buffed the win multiplier to x4. Unless they change matchmaking to guarantee no Dog eat Dogs the popular vote has to stay. Stop complaining, and I'll see you all on the splattlefield.
This forum's not really complaining, seeing as most of us play this game a lot, and therefore are a little more battle hardened when it comes to these things. The salt regarding scoring's become sparce after Cats vs. Dogs.

Funen1

Full Squid
NNID
Funen1
There's been a lot of complaining on Miiverse and these forums regarding how the winning team is determined during Splatfests. I want to keep my SEVENTY-TWO SUPER SEA SNAILS away from these copious levels of salt, so I'm going to take the time to explain the justification for the popular vote.
While admittedly imperfect, the popular vote exists to correct an advantage the less popular team has due to the matchmaking system. The more popular team will often play "Dog eat Dog" matches against itself, meaning that the more popular team has to play more overall matches to contribute the same amount as a player on the less popular team. And I don't know about you guys, but two and a half straight hours of Turf War to get to max rank is enough for me. As soon as I hit King, I'm done.
The less popular team does not have an advantage because of "dog-eat-dog matches". Every game that counts is always one team vs. the other team, so both sides inherently get the same amount of opportunities to push the win percentage in their favor. It's completely up to how the players perform at that point. The Rock vs. Pop and Milk Tea vs. Lemon Tea events have shown that the more popular team can just as easily crush the less popular team. That was the whole point of the changes made after the Rice vs. Bread incident, so that matches between teams from the same side cannot influence the win percentage at all, positively or negatively. Dog-eat-dog matches are time-wasters if anything, but nothing more.

If we're talking justifications for a popularity vote, the only one that I find reasonable is to act as a sort of tie-breaker for when the win percentages are really close, like around 51-49, and perhaps as a silly justification to accommodate for "rounding" in the win percentages. But even then I would have the popularity vote not be considered should the ratio be something around 52-48 or higher, it's like "okay you definitely won more matches here's your prizes".

Every game that counts is always one team vs. the other team, so both sides inherently get the same amount of opportunities to push the win percentage in their favor. It's completely up to how the players perform at that point.
But that's wrong. At a point, everyone is only going to play a certain amount of matches or invest a certain amount of time into Splatfest, making any time spent on Dog eat Dogs a waste. If a Marshmallow plays the same amount of games as a Hot Dog, but only 4/5 of them matter, that's an inherent advantage to Team Hot Dog.

Funen1

Full Squid
NNID
Funen1
But that's wrong. At a point, everyone is only going to play a certain amount of matches or invest a certain amount of time into Splatfest, making any time spent on Dog eat Dogs a waste. If a Marshmallow plays the same amount of games as a Hot Dog, but only 4/5 of them matter, that's an inherent advantage to Team Hot Dog.
I said that matches between teams from the same side were time-wasters, that's not what I'm arguing here. This seems to suggest that having to play those extra games tangibly affects how the more popular team performs when it matters, like they're getting their energy sapped or something, and there's no solid proof of that (and no, the current Splatfest records are too small a sample size to eliminate variance as a factor). Many people play this game for hours on end anyway, especially to level up their Splatfest rank (because it does take that long to max it out). Dog-eat-dog matches could just as easily be considered warm-ups or even stress-relievers since they know these matches don't count.

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
If they ever remove popularity than I think they should remove voting as well and just divvy players up between two teams. There's no real point to choosing the teams and that way we can have more evenly matched teams (it is more fun that way) and no 1 vs 4 or popular team vs popular team which are both not very fun. Splatfests aren't perfect, but I don't see voting staying if the popularity score is omitted.

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
If they ever remove popularity than I think they should remove voting as well and just divvy players up between two teams. There's no real point to choosing the teams and that way we can have more evenly matched teams (it is more fun that way) and no 1 vs 4 or popular team vs popular team which are both not very fun. Splatfests aren't perfect, but I don't see voting staying if the popularity score is omitted.
If you're just plopped onto one side, then there's literally no point for it to be an event, since it'd be exactly the same as Turf War. Voting the side you truly want to win gives you a motivation, a goal to reach. And yet many are already talking about cutting the middle man and just choosing the one that's more popular. That ain't fun.

DarkGold777

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DarkGold777
But how does team Hot Dog earn points without facing team Marshmallow, giving them a chance to win points? They don't. Facing the other team is the only way.

Let's say there were 100 Hot Dogs and 140 Marshmallows actively playing. Due to marshmallows having more people, 40 of them are pitted against each other. That way, the numbers even out so that 100 Hot Dogs face 100 Marshmallows. This is what goes on for the whole entire teams in Splatfests before the popularity score imbalances everything.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Congratulations to team marshmallow, and good job to team Hot Dog.. all 2 of you. ;)

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
If you're just plopped onto one side, then there's literally no point for it to be an event, since it'd be exactly the same as Turf War. Voting the side you truly want to win gives you a motivation, a goal to reach. And yet many are already talking about cutting the middle man and just choosing the one that's more popular. That ain't fun.
Splatfest is almost exactly like turf wars in the first place. If there is no weight for choosing your team why choose? It is more fun when they are even so why take away the only reason voting matters and not replace it with something that makes it a better experience for both sides? The Sea snail goal is still there and there is no way I will believe you have strong feelings for either team on a splatfest with the current questions they have been asking.

I understand what you are saying, but as long as you can vote then I don't see them completely removing the popularity from splatfest- From a game design standpoint there is no sense in letting teams get so disproportioned for no reason at all.
But how does team Hot Dog earn points without facing team Marshmallow, giving them a chance to win points? They don't. Facing the other team is the only way.

Let's say there were 100 Hot Dogs and 140 Marshmallows actively playing. Due to marshmallows having more people, 40 of them are pitted against each other. That way, the numbers even out so that 100 Hot Dogs face 100 Marshmallows. This is what goes on for the whole entire teams in Splatfests before the popularity score imbalances everything.
A more accurate ratio would be 64 Marshmallows playing while 36 hot dogs play. That means almost 1/3 of players are playing their own team and 1/3 might not even have full teams of 4. The bigger the gap in team size the more annoying splatfest can be. I really don't think they will make any huge adjustments to splatfest like removing the popularity vote completely, but I think we also need not to take it so seriously. If winning is the most important thing to you about splatfests, then choose the more popular side if the popularity gap is large or the less popular side if the gap seems pretty close.

DarkGold777

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DarkGold777
Splatfest is almost exactly like turf wars in the first place. If there is no weight for choosing your team why choose? It is more fun when they are even so why take away the only reason voting matters and not replace it with something that makes it a better experience for both sides? The Sea snail goal is still there and there is no way I will believe you have strong feelings for either team on a splatfest with the current questions they have been asking.

I understand what you are saying, but as long as you can vote then I don't see them completely removing the popularity from splatfest- From a game design standpoint there is no sense in letting teams get so disproportioned for no reason at all.

A more accurate ratio would be 64 Marshmallows playing while 36 hot dogs play. That means almost 1/3 of players are playing their own team and 1/3 might not even have full teams of 4. The bigger the gap in team size the more annoying splatfest can be. I really don't think they will make any huge adjustments to splatfest like removing the popularity vote completely, but I think we also need not to take it so seriously. If winning is the most important thing to you about splatfests, then choose the more popular side if the popularity gap is large or the less popular side if the gap seems pretty close.
Um, I'm confused... I wasn't even implementing any ratios into my example at all. Just division, 140/100, only work as far as a whole number, then do something with the remainder, and that's have them fight themselves.

I also do not get your argument of not having themed teams (and a choice) in a Splafest sans popularity factoring into the score. It's a cute motivation to choose a side to fight for, and if you get my argument above where teams have equal opportunity to win anyways with the only factor being performance, it's not hurting anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom