• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

NA splatfest! Snowman vs Sandcastle

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I find it a little ironic that people complain about lag stemming from Japanese players' better internet connections relative to ours a reason to make regional matchmaking a thing... and then the Splatfests, which basically enforce a kind of regional matchmaking upon us for 24 hours, give those same people even worse lag fits.

If anything, we should use all that to badger Congress about creating some sort of mandatory high-speed internet connection law. If we can have it for our healthcare and education, we can have it for our gaming, damnit!

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
I find it a little ironic that people complain about lag stemming from Japanese players' better internet connections relative to ours a reason to make regional matchmaking a thing... and then the Splatfests, which basically enforce a kind of regional matchmaking upon us for 24 hours, give those same people even worse lag fits.

If anything, we should use all that to badger Congress about creating some sort of mandatory high-speed internet connection law. If we can have it for our healthcare and education, we can have it for our gaming, damnit!
IMO there really isn't any excuse to not have fiber optic internet available nationwide in the US. It really bums me out knowing that when I move back to the US it'll be like waking up 15 years ago relative to the speed and reliability of my internet in Tokyo. The difference is laughable and really makes US look bad. I know lag-free gaming probability isn't high on their list of infrastructure improvements but I don't see why people should be forced to settled with ancient relic "broadband" technology from the turn of the century

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Wait a minute... ah, ********. Shows how much I know about internet connections. I can just envision all the drama that'll happen if there ever is a serious push for it, GOVERNMENT SPENDING vs. BOO CAPITALISM rearing it's ugly head for the umpteenth time.

Such is the nature of the can of worms that is our economy. Forget I said anything.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Missed out on this splatfest, so I'm having a tough time figuring out the general consensus for the NA region. I understand there wasn't much spawncamping as normal but there were still the usual lag, disconnects, and poor teammates. But is it an improvement from the previous way the festival is handled? Is a lot of anger because we don't like change or a new system that needs kinks worked out?

Wait a minute... ah, ********. Shows how much I know about internet connections. I can just envision all the drama that'll happen if there ever is a serious push for it, GOVERNMENT SPENDING vs. BOO CAPITALISM rearing it's ugly head for the umpteenth time.

Such is the nature of the can of worms that is our economy. Forget I said anything.
Well we are recently going through the latest umpteenth time ever since FCC raised the minimum broadband speed requirement to 25Mbps. And then there's the latest net neturality matter with mobile companies regarding zero-rating data. And I could go on...

@birdiebee, I imagine the broadband culture crash, should you return, will be full of many lulz.

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
@birdiebee, I imagine the broadband culture crash, should you return, will be full of many lulz.
This is a bit off topic, but yeah, I am genuinely terrified of returning to the US and playing Splatoon with all the horror stories about lag and disconnects I read everyday on here. I hope it doesn't sour the experience for me. Granted, I played Splatoon in the US for the few months following launch. I experienced a couple disconnects a day but not unrelenting lag and consistent latency issues. It was fine, but the experience in Japan is noticeably better.

I also play without a LAN adapter so I will definitely invest in one when I return.

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
I was extremely salty towards Team Snowman and I have no idea why. :P Usually I'm fairly laid back at this game but Team Snowman just grated my nerves. At least my friends had a good laugh at watching me be salty for 24 hours. :P I was planning on cracking bae jokes all night to annoy my friends but it ended up with me just insulting Team Snowman at every turn... Which did the same thing so I guess that's good. x) I was on Team Snowman lol.

I'm kind of surprised at the results though! I heard a lot of people on Team Sandcastle saying they were facing their own team quite a lot but there were very few stories from Team Snowman. I was sure Sandcastle had the popularity and was surprised when they didn't. I guess a lot of Snowman just didn't play or something lol. :P

Award

The NA splatfest experience seems so much different from the JP one. Is it because of server locations? I dont know how this stuff works but I've only had maybe 4 disconnects in the past 6 months. I almost never see lag. And as for wait times, there were none. I know JP easily has the most players, so that makes sense, but yeah, as a whole my splatfest went very smoothly.

Sure it did feel more like Ranked Turf Wars in higher power levels, but like, the power level IS a rank for the Splatfest, so it literally is Ranked TW... heh. I personally thought that was cool. But I understand the frustration of using a charger. I'd never be able to do that, and its considerably different from the way you'd play in any other Ranked mode.
You live on an island. Internet quality and infrastructure aside there's zero geographic lag at all. The US is going to inherently have laggy internet nationwide. That's why some games like Blizzards have sub-regional servers, US-West and US-East here....California to New York alone is never going to be fast enough for real-time to be problem free, let alone normally all the way to Japan!

Keep in mind Nintendo is cheap. It's a Peer to Peer game, there are no servers, only for matchmaking/scoring. And those servers are in Japan. But there are no gameplay servers. One of the players is the server. Or possibly 2-3 players as the server who sync together. So if any player in that round robing is lagging, anyone connected to them will lag. And in the US consumer internet is NOT intended to be used as a server so there's zero prioritization for hosting. Some of that would have been solved if Nintendo had dedicated regional servers. But Nintendo being Nintendo, they'd host it in Japan, which would be possibly worse.

IMO there really isn't any excuse to not have fiber optic internet available nationwide in the US. It really bums me out knowing that when I move back to the US it'll be like waking up 15 years ago relative to the speed and reliability of my internet in Tokyo. The difference is laughable and really makes US look bad. I know lag-free gaming probability isn't high on their list of infrastructure improvements but I don't see why people should be forced to settled with ancient relic "broadband" technology from the turn of the century
Verizon was given a few billion from the government years ago to roll out fiber in 10 sates. They rolled it out 60% of the way in 5 states and ran out of money. They haven't continued the rollout since. And no other company has tried. It probably helps that the biggest CABLE company is one of the biggest donors to the politicians AND helps them run their propaganda arm. Cable will be it for a long, loooong time. They already bought the laws they want.

Seriously, though, screw fiber. It's 2016, why should I have to have physical wires dug underground to deliver internet to my dozen devices that have no cords whatsoever? Why don't we just have universal WiFi? Like WiMax was SUPPOSED to deliver and we allowed Bell Verizon & AT&T to massively sabotage, along with Hua Wei who started the whole mess. I don't want wired internet. This is the 21st century, not 1994. I want my wireless!

Think for a moment. Government broadband service. Which would be installed by a contractor who's CEO is the fourth cousin twice removed of the bank finance director's son's wife's sister's husband (who happens to have been a delegate bundler for the last election for a specific candidate currently in charge of the budget office who is an old campaign contributor to the white house) startup company located in Switzerland. It would cost $10M per 100ft of cable, with a scheduled completion date of 2038 (but will only be 10% done by 2038 and require emergency congressional action to extend the deadline (and triple the funding!) to 2073 (or until the next administration, whichever comes first.) When it finally works it will be $500 /month (with taxpayer subsidies to fill the gap depending on what the government determines you can afford) but will often have disconnects and interruptions. These will be "growing pains" that "the public will understand are necessary to build a better internet", and will have mandatory IPV6, rendering it incompatible with many older devices, but will be an obsolete IPV6 standard from 2044 when the standard was ratified for the installation that no longer works with new devices without a bridge box (that will be supplied free(* see tax funded) by the government.

Meanwhile your cellphone will have an unlimited hotspot at 100MB/s for $14.99/mo and the government fiber system will have about 5000 customers, mysteriously all with return addresses of the FCC building, but won't ever go bankrupt to ensure "legacy support" for the 5000 customers.

Do you SERIOUSLY trust your Splatoon experience to government? ;)

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
America, the "land of the free" where you pay far more for less of everything that matters. Bah.

Award

Awesome, congrats!

Look at the top list. Dynamo, dynamo, tentatek, tentatek, tentatek.....tell me this is TW?!

Wait...the names on this list....I know these people....I've played against them and/or with them. Are you seriously telling me that I play the top 100? No wonder I can't get anywhere! :p:mad:

NintenDORK was on one of my sandcastle teams. So was DY Brin One of our LOSING teams no less. Some names on the snowman list seem familiar but I'm guessing at that time of night I was playing alts largely. So if I was playing WITH the top 100....and LOSING.... This splatfest is messed up.... :confused:

Some of them I might recognize from ranked instead....but that might be even more sad! :p

Dream21

Full Squid
The top 100 players for sandcastle and snowman. I'm SMS|Lerone in sandcastles.
View attachment 2968 View attachment 2969
I'm number five for Sandcastles !! That's unexpected.
Specially looking over at Snowmans top five each 2000+
I'm curious how they ended up loosing with that, I don't think the top 100 were playing against eachother I don't recognize a good 97% of that snowman list.
I played a lot with my fellow teammates though. Both of the Bob Ross's at least.

empieflower

Senior Squid
NNID
empieflower
Switch Friend Code
SW-4855-9837-7775
Whoa, I totally missed out on this Splatfest cause I didn't check the forums. Whoops. : P

If I recall, the new update changed how Splatfests work, right? You fight in teams with people that are ranked same as you in Ranked Battles?

And shoot, I would have been Team Snowman; not because of Frozen, but because I legitimately want to build a snowman. I've always loved snow and wanted to experience a real winter, specially since I live in Florida and building sandcastles is not really fun when the tide changes and the ocean washes away all of your hard work.

plus something something hate sand its coarse rough irritating gets everywhere something something

Award

I'm number five for Sandcastles !! That's unexpected.
Specially looking over at Snowmans top five each 2000+
I'm curious how they ended up loosing with that, I don't think the top 100 were playing against eachother I don't recognize a good 97% of that snowman list.
I played a lot with my fellow teammates though. Both of the Bob Ross's at least.
I don't think you played with me...you 1970...grrr...where were you when you were needed?!?! Some teammate you are! :p

Looking at that list and the number of people on there that I played with, either 6-100 were nowhere near 1970 and were mostly 1300-1400, or I'm guessing what REALLY happened to me was the same thing that happens often in ranked. I was probably paired with a single 1900 and two 960s to deliver our 1300 - so we were really going 2v4. Combine that with probable opposing alts.... It makes a little more sense now, though I never felt any of my teammates were awful, the action was so frantic it was hard to figure out who was where, doing what. That would explain a lot.

Congrats on being one of the top 5 though! That's pretty amazing - either the Splatoon community is VERY small, or that's quite a coincidence.

I'm pretty sure I played against CJ Memes, CSS Roll (or was that in ranked?), Woomy Kong, and CJ Phong. But I don't recognize any others, and I can't guarantee I'm recognizing them from splatfest vs. ranked. Probably DID play some of their alts though given how the matchmaking goes.

I do find all of this interesting though. There's no way I should have been playing with or against top 100 people - I'm no S+ rank, that's for sure. So either there's not a lot of players overall and there's a huuge gap between #5 and #100, or it really was taking one high rank, one near-high rank, and two scrubs and throwing them on teams.

モモコ

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Momogirl3
I seen people act like 2 mbps down and i do not even know what the upload was, as good....

that is better then 57% of us speed, this is my usb attachment speed (why its so low)
this is considered better then 94%

Manocheese

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ABC1776
I ended up at #5 for Team Snowman. I didn't expect to place that well; I just wanted to be in the top 100. Had I known how close I was to #1, I might have played for a few more hours.

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
Man, so many recognizable names on this Splatfest. I'm definitely glad for this community's sheer grit.

Award

I seen people act like 2 mbps down and i do not even know what the upload was, as good....

that is better then 57% of us speed, this is my usb attachment speed (why its so low)
this is considered better then 94%
315 down??? 315 down???? I did even know that was POSSIBLE, I've never even HEARD of speeds like that in the US for internet short of private dedicated OC lines to datacenters. The absolute BEST that money can buy here is 100, even with Fios!

No wonder XBox's smug little Mr "deal with it(always online" could be so smug. You guys have LAN speeds for interent. A downloadable game for me is a 20 hour + affair and consumes the bulk of my monthly cap :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom