New Game Mode: Rainmaker

We hope squids are ready to make it RAIN!

Or at least ready to play more ranked soon, as Rainmaker will be released this upcoming Friday in another Splatoon update!

Being the third of the ranked matchmaking trio, Rainmaker asks you deliver a golden fish to the other team's base, similar to the Bomb gametype in the Halo series. Though be warned, it won't be easy. The Rainmaker has a shield to protect itself, and can only be held for 60 seconds. Teamwork and bodyguarding will be essential. Luckily, whoever is holding the Rainmaker is not defenseless, as the fish of gold can be charged up and fire huge whirlpools of ink! (Think like a shorter range inkzooka, but with much more width! AND SCARY SOUND EFFECTS!)

The fine folks at GameXplain already have a match for all your over-analyzing needs as well on their channel!

Are you hyped for Rainmaker? What's your favorite ranked game so far? Let us know down in the comments!

Wispy is a gamer currently going to college to become a copywriter. A Bulbasaur enthusiast, she is fan of all things Splatoon and Super Smash Bros. To keep up with her adventures in gaming be sure to follow her on Twitter.

Last edited:

Comments

It seems like yet another reason to keep using my dual squelcher. Echolocator would probably be very helpful for the person with the rainmaker.

Don't forget about Defence. Since if your the one holding the thing, your gonna be targeted the most. Having Defence would help you live more attacks. Haunt would be nice, because if you die then you'll be taking them down with you! Bomb Sniffer could help you avoid ink mines and other bombs. And finally Opening Gambit would help you get a strong start an Final-ditch effort could help you turn the match around at the last second.
Opening Gambit will probably see a lot of use, especially early on as people are still feeling it out.

So looking forward to this mode. I'll probably need to learn a new weapon, as .52 Gal may not be ideal.

It seems like yet another reason to keep using my dual squelcher. Echolocator would probably be very helpful for the person with the rainmaker.
The person with the Rainmaker also glows in both humanoid and squid form. (Maybe they even show up on the map? Not sure.)

Another Rainmaker mode match, but uploaded by Gamespot. :V

Is it me or did the ink tornado just get cancelled as soon as he got splatted?

Last edited:
This is gonna be awesome! I can't wait to give this game mode a go, and it looks like the Rainmaker will be awesome!
Time to make it rain, baby! xP

Not a fan of this mode. I played in Squads and it's pure and utter chaos. Honestly I would prefer it just be normal capture the flag, it sounds stupid but you are really defenseless close range wise with the Rainmaker.

Would have been fun if the stupid randumbs I played with actually protected me. XP But in all seriousness I like it, I still think Splatzones trumps all but Rainmaker is fun nonetheless.

Man, this game mode is certainly fun. It's like TC but faster paced and more freeform in how to reach the goal compared to the tower's rigid rail-line. That said, the people I played with seem to keep thinking of this as a normal CTF but with a flag that can fight back. The first match I played, the enemy team kept bringing it back to their base despite the countdown accelerating there! Needless to say, our victory that time was rather unceremoniously swift.

Still, I bet things will get more exciting once more people start figuring out which side to send the Rainmaker to.

i love this mode! it's a bit chaotic, but after finding the right weapon (96 gal for me), i'm doing really well. i think i like this more than tower control, maybe as much as splat zones.

I have to say; I love this mode! Not only have I been on a monstrous winning phase (not streak), but it's fun, too; to me, it feels like American football. The Rainmaker is the ball, you gotta carry it to the "end zone" that is the top of the endpoint, and your team has to protect you to ensure you don't "fumble" the Rainmaker. :3

I even shout "TOUCHDOWN!" when I reach the end with that thing. :P

Who uses the mini map? lol.

What are you talking about? It makes you aware of where your team is and where ink is being lain out from both teams so you can plan ahead. Of course people use the map.

From what I can tell, after a few games with some different weapons, its like a mix of tower control and turf war. A lot of weapons that were previously unconventional do much better. The inkstrike and killer wail don't do as well as on tower control, but the inkzooka and bubbler are amazing. Seekers also do well against a charging rainmaker, making this one of the only modes where the aerospray mg is better than the rg.

Personally, I'm just glad my Nouveau will finally be seeing some use. The normal inkbrush is better in turf war and splat zone, but I just couldn't take the Nouveau into tower control, because the beam in the center of the tower nullifies the entire attack. My first game using the Nouveau, my team managed to push up before getting killed behind a corner. For the rest of the game, I swam up and killed whoever took the rainmaker. After they got smart, I mixed it up by charging a bubbler and managed to wipe out the entire enemy team. This mode may be my favorite, once my teammates learn how to take alternate routes rather than rushing into where everyone is already camping.

There is one thing I though of; and I'm rather curious how it'd work. In kelp dome, could you swim back to your base, then over the ramp, skipping half the map?

From what I can tell, after a few games with some different weapons, its like a mix of tower control and turf war. A lot of weapons that were previously unconventional do much better. The inkstrike and killer wail don't do as well as on tower control, but the inkzooka and bubbler are amazing. Seekers also do well against a charging rainmaker, making this one of the only modes where the aerospray mg is better than the rg.

Personally, I'm just glad my Nouveau will finally be seeing some use. The normal inkbrush is better in turf war and splat zone, but I just couldn't take the Nouveau into tower control, because the beam in the center of the tower nullifies the entire attack. My first game using the Nouveau, my team managed to push up before getting killed behind a corner. For the rest of the game, I swam up and killed whoever took the rainmaker. After they got smart, I mixed it up by charging a bubbler and managed to wipe out the entire enemy team. This mode may be my favorite, once my teammates learn how to take alternate routes rather than rushing into where everyone is already camping.

There is one thing I though of; and I'm rather curious how it'd work. In kelp dome, could you swim back to your base, then over the ramp, skipping half the map?
I believe it explodes faster the closer you are to your base. I don't know if its possible to beat the timer, but knowing Nintendo, that explode mechanic is there o prevent that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom