• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Next US Splatfest: Pirates VS Ninjas

LimitCrown

Full Squid
NNID
LimitCrown
as far as the results of the splatfest goes... i feel like the way they calculated the winner was fair. i think it's much more reasonable to declare a winner based on skill rather than popularity, otherwise there'd be no point in the splatfest at all. i feel like they should lower the multiplier for wins vs. losses, though. ultimately, the pirates had more wins than the ninjas, despite being less popular. these are the facts. it really did surprise me how many more people picked ninja than pirate, though. i thought it'd be much more equal than that.
If popularity shouldn't be a somewhat significant factor in these Splatfests, then what is the point of voting on a team? They might as well change the way that Splatfests work so that you're randomly assigned to a team so that popularity wouldn't indirectly affect the proportions of the skill levels of the players.

In my previous calculations, I based them on a 100% difference in popularity. However, a 100% difference in popularity is completely unrealistic and practically impossible. Since Team Ninjas and Team Pirates have the most and least popularity, I will base these next calculattions on a 50% difference in popularity because it's close to that result in the last Splatfest. Basically, assume that there are two teams named Team A and Team B. Team A is the most popular and there is a 50% difference in popularity. The win percentage that Team B needs in order to have the highest or equal total of points can be represented by this function:

W ≥ ceil(50/(2m) + 50)
The variable m is the win percentage multiplier that the Splatest uses, W is the win percentage needed, and the calculations will use multiplier values from 2 to 8. Here is a list of those multipliers values and the win percentages that Team B needs for each of them in order to win.

2x multiplier | 63% win percentage
3x multiplier | 59% win percentage
4x multiplier | 57% win percentage
5x multiplier | 56% win percentage
6x multiplier | 55% win percentage
7x multiplier | 54% win percentage
8x multiplier | 54% win percentage
I personally think that the 2x multiplier that was originally used was balanced and good enough, and I think that people overreacted when Team Cats lost to Team Dogs in the first Splatfest in North America.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
One problem. Splatfest aren't NA exclusive. We need to remember the algorithms have to apply across every region. Look at a Japanese splatfest and tell me how well these work for you. Stop looking in the vacuum that you are. Popularity has been playing a HUGE factor in Japan. And them changing the multipliers reflects such.

LimitCrown

Full Squid
NNID
LimitCrown
One problem. Splatfest aren't NA exclusive. We need to remember the algorithms have to apply across every region. Look at a Japanese splatfest and tell me how well these work for you. Stop looking in the vacuum that you are. Popularity has been playing a HUGE factor in Japan. And them changing the multipliers reflects such.
Changing the multiplier wouldn't have changed the outcome of the 4 Splatfests in which the most popular teams had the most amount of wins. Also, the two Splatfests in which the most popular teams had less wins had the same win percentages and similar popularity percentages. I don't see how popularity itself has been playing a huge factor in those Splatfests.

Last edited:

redacteddd

Banned (6 points)
Changing the multiplier wouldn't have changed the outcome of the 4 Splatfests in which the most popular teams had the most amount of wins. Also, the two Splatfests in which the most popular teams had less wins had the same win percentages and similar popularity percentages. I don't see how popularity itself has been playing a huge factor in those Splatfests.
Yes, but it might have helped with the ones in which that scenario didn't happen.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Well Callie's a more loud and obnoxious person, if you want my opinion. It's just how it goes.
But even if that's true, it wouldn't make her a bad person. Intentionally trying to make the lives of others worse for no good reason on the other hand definitely makes for an awful person.

cwjakesteel

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
cwjakesteel
But even if that's true, it wouldn't make her a bad person. Intentionally trying to make the lives of others worse for no good reason on the other hand definitely makes for an awful person.
And how do you know that Marie is intentionally trying to make the lives of others worse? Are you an only child? Marie is at worst teasing and both sisters have fun with it. Also consider that what the sisters say isn't improvised. It's read off of a Teleprompter. It's showbiz. The way they act could be exaggerated for the sake of the audience.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
And how do you know that Marie is intentionally trying to make the lives of others worse? Are you an only child? Marie is at worst teasing and both sisters have fun with it. Also consider that what the sisters say isn't improvised. It's read off of a Teleprompter. It's showbiz. The way they act could be exaggerated for the sake of the audience.
Because she is? Not sure how It can be made any more clear cut than that. Whether or not I'm an only child is irrelevant, not even sure where that came from lol. As for both sisters having fun with it, here's the only time Callie has actually responded back to one of her jabs since Marie always gets the last word in on regular broadcast:

Pretty well sums up much of what Marie says! I suppose there's no real proof of whether or not it's all just an act, but how she commonly brings up personal subjects like Callie's inability to ride a bike and failing her driving test hint that it's not. I also don't recall their personalitys being any different in singleplayer mode where they have no need to act, but it's been months since I played so I don't remember exactly.

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
I also don't recall their personalitys being any different in singleplayer mode where they have no need to act, but it's been months since I played so I don't remember exactly.
From what I've seen of the single player as someone with a sibling of similar age, Marie's actions toward her sister are not only realistic, but borderline inevitable. And besides, it's obvious that there's at the very least some exaggeration in the news events.

mezzo

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ledyba
The last really big showing of pirates in the American mainstream was Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, which was four years ago, long enough for it to not be a hot topic anymore (but still recognizable). Things may change with Dead Men Tell No Tales for 2017 though.

In contrast, Naruto is still very active in the American mainstream, and will continue to be for as long as Studio Pierrot drags out the ending. This is reinforced by there being a huge deal about Masashi Kishimoto, author of the manga, at New York Comic-Con and the premiere of Boruto. That, and Kishimoto asking everyone to leave him alone.
yeah, i guess there hasn't been a lot of love for pirates in the media lately, lol. ninjas definitely seem to be more of a thing these days among youngsters.

mezzo

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ledyba
If popularity shouldn't be a somewhat significant factor in these Splatfests, then what is the point of voting on a team? They might as well change the way that Splatfests work so that you're randomly assigned to a team so that popularity wouldn't indirectly affect the proportions of the skill levels of the players.

In my previous calculations, I based them on a 100% difference in popularity. However, a 100% difference in popularity is completely unrealistic and practically impossible. Since Team Ninjas and Team Pirates have the most and least popularity, I will base these next calculattions on a 50% difference in popularity because it's close to that result in the last Splatfest. Basically, assume that there are two teams named Team A and Team B. Team A is the most popular and there is a 50% difference in popularity. The win percentage that Team B needs in order to have the highest or equal total of points can be represented by this function:

W ≥ ceil(50/(2m) + 50)
The variable m is the win percentage multiplier that the Splatest uses, W is the win percentage needed, and the calculations will use multiplier values from 2 to 8. Here is a list of those multipliers values and the win percentages that Team B needs for each of them in order to win.

2x multiplier | 63% win percentage
3x multiplier | 59% win percentage
4x multiplier | 57% win percentage
5x multiplier | 56% win percentage
6x multiplier | 55% win percentage
7x multiplier | 54% win percentage
8x multiplier | 54% win percentage
I personally think that the 2x multiplier that was originally used was balanced and good enough, and I think that people overreacted when Team Cats lost to Team Dogs in the first Splatfest in North America.
i would like to mention that i did not say that popularity shouldn't matter at all, but i think it is more reasonable for it to count less than the win percentage, and have the win percentage to have a higher multiplier than 2x. skill, to me, is worth more than two times what popularity is, maybe a 4x multiplier is a reasonable middle ground. i feel like one of the ways to make splatfests go a bit better is to have different age groups, so that more skilled players can play against each other easier/have a more even distribution of skilled players on each team. hopefully, nintendo will figure out a good balance for the splatfests soon.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
You can't "balance" something that is entirely opinion based. Since people will pick the teams they either prefer, or whichever they think will have less popularity for whatever reason.
So, there is no way to go about balancing out these things. No matter what, someone is going to whine about how "unbalanced" these splatfests are.

We can talk about how "unbalanced" it is until we're blue in the face, but it is extremely difficult to "balance" something that is entirely out of anyone's hands.

LimitCrown

Full Squid
NNID
LimitCrown
Yes, but it might have helped with the ones in which that scenario didn't happen.
It helps a few of the teams with high win percentages and low popularity win, but then you would need to determine whether that happening is actually "good".

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
From what I've seen of the single player as someone with a sibling of similar age, Marie's actions toward her sister are not only realistic, but borderline inevitable. And besides, it's obvious that there's at the very least some exaggeration in the news events.
So you're implying that because being a bad person is realistic and inevitable, that makes it okay. Yikes! Your last sentence seems like a desperate spitball, there's no possible exaggeration to be had in just stating the facts or just being straight up rude.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
Callie and Marie are functioning as a manzai duo. In manzai comedy, the boke (funny man) says bizarre, silly, nonsensical, and/or offensive things, and the tsukkomi (straight man) then either bluntly points out what's wrong with what the boke is saying or straight-up mocks him or her, usually hitting the boke (most commonly with a stick or a paper fan)

This is the reason why manga and anime often have one person more or less explaining the joke, usually while aghast, exasperated, or surprised (like with Beauty in Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo, Alphonse in Fullmetal Alchemist, and Usopp in One Piece).

Manzai is very deeply integrated into Japanese comedy--just as it's weird to a westerner to have someone point out holes in other people's statements in Japanese comedy, people in Japan often find it weird that the west, whose comedy was borne out of slapstick and stand-up routines, our tsukkomi are either a lot less active in trying to curb the boke (like Agent K in Men in Black or everyone but Gilligan in Gilligan's Island) or are nonexistent completely (Pinkie Pie in My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic and Charlie Chaplin's Tramp character rarely have anyone countering their antics).

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Callie and Marie are functioning as a manzai duo. In manzai comedy, the boke (funny man) says bizarre, silly, nonsensical, and/or offensive things, and the tsukkomi (straight man) then either bluntly points out what's wrong with what the boke is saying or straight-up mocks him or her, usually hitting the boke (most commonly with a stick or a paper fan)

This is the reason why manga and anime often have one person more or less explaining the joke, usually while aghast, exasperated, or surprised (like with Beauty in Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo, Alphonse in Fullmetal Alchemist, and Usopp in One Piece).

Manzai is very deeply integrated into Japanese comedy--just as it's weird to a westerner to have someone point out holes in other people's statements in Japanese comedy, people in Japan often find it weird that the west, whose comedy was borne out of slapstick and stand-up routines, our tsukkomi are either a lot less active in trying to curb the boke (like Agent K in Men in Black or everyone but Gilligan in Gilligan's Island) or are nonexistent completely (Pinkie Pie in My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic and Charlie Chaplin's Tramp character rarely have anyone countering their antics).
Not seeing your point here. Being a bully is being bully, the reasons don't excuse or justify it.

The reason I asked was to ascertain your experience of sibling relationships. There's clearly no friction between the girls.
You don't need experience with siblings to know what a jerk is lol. Whether or not Callie is okay with it (not as shown above) is also irrelevant.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
What do you mean you don't see the reason behind it? That's really how a manzai comedy performance goes, except Marie doesn't physically hit Callie.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
What do you mean you don't see the reason behind it? That's really how a manzai comedy performance goes, except Marie doesn't physically hit Callie.
I know what it is, I just don't know your purpose behind bringing it up is all. I mean, okay, they're like a manzai duo, so what's the significance of that in regards to Marie being a jerk?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom