[North America] NEW SPLATFEST: Team Past Travel vs. Team Future Travel!

Team Past or Team Future?

• Travel to the past

Votes: 50 46.7%
  • Travel to the future

Votes: 40 37.4%
  • Undecided/screw Splatfests I'm salty

Votes: 17 15.9%

• Total voters

PrinceOfKoopas

Inkling Commander
NNID
PrinceOfKoopas
Well, I'm currently writing up something that'll explain my pro-past thinking.

Obviously it'll be biased but whatever. I'm fleshing out my argument. :)

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
This one's a tough call as to which team is going to be less popular and win is going to be better. On one hand, I can't imagine the lousy kids being interested in Mesopotamia, the Roaring 20's, the fall of Constantinople, or the geopolitical powder keg that led to events following the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand, while their alternative is robots and spaceships.

On the other hand they stuck a fraking DINOSAUR on the image like a giant kid magnet.

Last time it was a close call I switched allegiances to Marie. I didn't expect to have my rear handed back to me in quite so many pieces. This time, dinosaur versus spaceship....it's hard to pick. So I guess Go Team Callie? Also turquoise ink. Can't resist turquoise ink....

Sit this splatfest out. It's not a complete obligation, and you can do you fine in battles without top-tier rolls. Instead, play games that aren't as emotionally taxing for that time period. Your health is more important than fictional currency.
I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're trying to say. Are you a Japanese player, and this was the best Babelfish or Google Translate was able to come up with for "Splatoon is life, there is nothing more important than Super Sea Snails?"

WHY DO YOU HATE URCHINS!? ;)

I don't know about when I'd like to travel to, but I'm really not big on dwelling on the past, so I'm going to pledge my support for Team Future.

Judging by my track record in Splatfests so far, that means that Team Future will be the more popular side and end up losing because Team Past has more wins, haha.
Go team future! Because that's when the screen updates and we find out where the player we've been shooting at was REALLY located while we were shooting somewhere else that whole time...

Actually Team Past v.s. Team Future is pretty meta for all of Splatoon, really. Did they splat you before you started shooting at them, or in the future, after you've splatted them and walked all the way back to your spawn?

Where's the option for those of use who live in an Eternal Now?
"Ranked Battles". You will be B forever and ever and ever and ever like an undying present repeating for all eternity.

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
As for which team I'd like to pick, I'll just providea quote from Benjamin Franklin. (I cannot find this quote on Wikiquote, so the validity is subject, but it does convey how I feel regarding the progress of time):

"Furnish’d as all Europe now is with Academies of Science, with nice Instruments and the Spirit of Experiment, the Progress of human Knowledge will be rapid, and Discoveries made of which we have at present no Conception. I begin to be almost sorry I was born so soon, since I cannot have the Happiness of knowing what will be known a hundred years hence."

It doesn't seem like much is changing in the present, but in reality, things keep getting better and better faster and faster. Take someone fro the 1950's and bring them to the present. They'll be astonished at how we have phones in our pockets that can also play games, tell time, send quick messages to each other, and a million other things, and they're a million times more powerful than the room-sized computers back then. We don't have people on Mars yet, but we do have robots and we know a lot more about what lies beyond the Solar System than anyone thought possible. The Internet has connected people around the world of all sorts and has allowed by far the greatest freedom of information we've ever had. Farming and food transportation technology now allows us to eat whatever foods we want at any time of year we want--gone are the days when you could only eat apples in the fall or winter, and pineapples had to be canned. Diseases like cholera and smallpox have been wiped out in the most populated areas of the world. Also, the Cold War is over, and despite the violence in the Middle East, drug lords, and terrorists, we are living in one of the most peaceful times in human history because world leaders are resolving problems through diplomacy and debate rather than trying to kill each other. (It'll be quite the shocker for such a person to learn that the United States and Korea are presently on good terms with each other, for instance.) And while a man from the 1950's might not agree with the changes in society nowadays, women and non-whites have a lot more power now than they did before.

I imagine there will be similar changes, as Ben Franklin stated, "of which we have at present no Conception." For all the bad that people do, there will also always be good people. And while sometimes, these bad people will win, sometimes, the good will too. Otherwise, there wouldn't be such a thing as progress.

Would've really loved to have Hideki Naganuma work on Splatoon music. Oh well. There's always next time.
Very well said. I'm stuck between worlds. As a historian, my head is always in the past. As an optimist, my heart is in the future. Philosophically, I exist only in the present. A very odd situation indeed. How did Splatoon go from Burgers vs. Pizza to one of the oldest unsolved questions in philosophy: just when are we?

Of course, the correct answer is "whatever Marie says."

Award

As for which team I'd like to pick, I'll just providea quote from Benjamin Franklin. (I cannot find this quote on Wikiquote, so the validity is subject, but it does convey how I feel regarding the progress of time):

"Furnish’d as all Europe now is with Academies of Science, with nice Instruments and the Spirit of Experiment, the Progress of human Knowledge will be rapid, and Discoveries made of which we have at present no Conception. I begin to be almost sorry I was born so soon, since I cannot have the Happiness of knowing what will be known a hundred years hence."

It doesn't seem like much is changing in the present, but in reality, things keep getting better and better faster and faster. Take someone fro the 1950's and bring them to the present. They'll be astonished at how we have phones in our pockets that can also play games, tell time, send quick messages to each other, and a million other things, and they're a million times more powerful than the room-sized computers back then. We don't have people on Mars yet, but we do have robots and we know a lot more about what lies beyond the Solar System than anyone thought possible. The Internet has connected people around the world of all sorts and has allowed by far the greatest freedom of information we've ever had. Farming and food transportation technology now allows us to eat whatever foods we want at any time of year we want--gone are the days when you could only eat apples in the fall or winter, and pineapples had to be canned. Diseases like cholera and smallpox have been wiped out in the most populated areas of the world. Also, the Cold War is over, and despite the violence in the Middle East, drug lords, and terrorists, we are living in one of the most peaceful times in human history because world leaders are resolving problems through diplomacy and debate rather than trying to kill each other. (It'll be quite the shocker for such a person to learn that the United States and Korea are presently on good terms with each other, for instance.) And while a man from the 1950's might not agree with the changes in society nowadays, women and non-whites have a lot more power now than they did before.

I imagine there will be similar changes, as Ben Franklin stated, "of which we have at present no Conception." For all the bad that people do, there will also always be good people. And while sometimes, these bad people will win, sometimes, the good will too. Otherwise, there wouldn't be such a thing as progress.

Would've really loved to have Hideki Naganuma work on Splatoon music. Oh well. There's always next time.
On the other hand, Franklin's old neighborhood is now a place you wouldn't want to be caught walking around at night. The future doesn't always work out as well as one might hope. ;)

On the flip side, the importance of knowing the past should tell use the familiar pattern. There is no "future", there is only history repeating. Many times before, things got better and better. Until they didn't. The future IS the past, in a slightly different guise. I suspect the tendency to see all the good things without understanding what has been lost as a result eventually catches up to a civilization, thus the repeating cycle. Natural disasters, cycles, and population pressure have a way of catching up with societies. Considering the current population is no longer sustainable through natural means but through the benefit of our scientific advancement it's all too easy for a chain reaction of bad events to ripple and create a disastrous ****tail. Which is, of course, how all disasters happen, not through a single event but through an unlikely series of events all happening in just the wrong place and time. The Titanic would still be floating as a museum if just EVERYTHING hadn't gone wrong exactly when and where and how it did. All the good things cited are true, but we've also foolishly built a house of cards while even more foolishly convincing ourselves we have not. Things will continue to be fine and dandy as long as no one removes the wrong cards. Which is, of course, inevitable. Nature figures out a way to do it, time and time again. Regardless, the answers to the future are almost always found in the past.

So since the past is the future, and the future is the past, can we get 2x snails regardless of team? :cool:

How Squidboards members see this Splatfest:

How the majority of Splatoon players see this Splatfest:

STELLAR-V™

Inkster Jr.
I'm going with future on this one. I've been a sci-fi buff my whole life, and though the future may hold bad things, it could hold good things as well.

For example, the possibility of discovering life on another planet, being able to modify our bodies to gain horns or grow antlers, and best of all....

Playable octolings.

Award

I'm going with future on this one. I've been a sci-fi buff my whole life, and though the future may hold bad things, it could hold good things as well.

For example, the possibility of discovering life on another planet, being able to modify our bodies to gain horns or grow antlers, and best of all....

Playable octolings.
I'm a big sci-fi fan with a penchant for time travel storylines to the past. I'm so confused. :(

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
I'm surprised to see such metaphysical commentary about this Splatfest. As I see it, either it's truly a thought-provoking topic, or we're all bored out of our skulls.
I vote the latter, though the topic really does say a lot about a person's psyche. There's a reason why most psychological evaluations ask questions about how you view the past and future.

redacteddd

Banned (6 points)
I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're trying to say. Are you a Japanese player, and this was the best Babelfish or Google Translate was able to come up with for "Splatoon is life, there is nothing more important than Super Sea Snails?"
*GASP* How dare I speak DIFFERENT OPINIONS!!!!!!!!! THE ETERNAL BOOGEYMAN OF THE INTERNET!!!!!!!!!

Heed clear of these mysterious phantoms with no basis in reality if you want to lock yourself in a bubble composed of you and your thoughts only. They can often be found in places such as comments to youtube videos, articles, and FORUMS.

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles

Playable octolings.
Back in my day, we didn't have any of those playable Octolings or new-fangled ranked modes. All we had was five stages, and we LIKED it!

Smashling79

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Linkmaster3000
Going with past. Too scared to know what's gonna happen in the future. Plus I think all the kids will want the future just because they're young. I mean what 8-12 year old will want to go back to the past? What do they have to go back to? Being a baby again isn't gonna be much fun. I'm 24 years old and I'd love to go back to the 90's again. Cartoons on TV were actually GOOD compared to most of the crap we have on TV today.

Last edited:

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
Going with past. Too scared to know what's gonna happen in the future. Plus I think all the kids will want the future just because they're young. I mean what 8-12 year old will want to go back to the past? What do they have to go back to? Being a baby again isn't gonna be much fun. I'm 24 years old and I'd love to go back to the 90's again. Cartoons on TV were actually GOOD compared to most of the crap we have on TV today.
There was always crap on tv. In my opinion. cartoons we have today are just as good as the ones that came beforehand. Steven u, over the garden wall, adventure time, wander over yander the recent tmnt reboot, regular show, gravity falls and adult cartoons like rick and morty, bob's burger, archer, bojack horseman. I know it's all opinion, but you're stating it as if it were fact that cartoons of today aren't good. Are you sure you didn't just, i don't know, grow up.

Mars018

Inkling
NNID
Aigis018
I'm actually pretty torn up about this one. It's not the worst that we've had lol. I dunno, I initially wanted to go future, but past has it's perks as well. A lot more people seem to be choosing past than I thought

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
You know, I just realized: I'm not going to be able to play much of this Splatfest. Why's that? Because it'll take place at the same time as Arcade Expo 2016, and that, being a once-a-year thing, takes priority to me. Sorry, squid kids. (I'll also be participating in It Never Drains in Southern California, but I don't think I'll do so well with that.)

On the other hand, Franklin's old neighborhood is now a place you wouldn't want to be caught walking around at night. The future doesn't always work out as well as one might hope. ;)

On the flip side, the importance of knowing the past should tell use the familiar pattern. There is no "future", there is only history repeating. Many times before, things got better and better. Until they didn't. The future IS the past, in a slightly different guise. I suspect the tendency to see all the good things without understanding what has been lost as a result eventually catches up to a civilization, thus the repeating cycle. Natural disasters, cycles, and population pressure have a way of catching up with societies. Considering the current population is no longer sustainable through natural means but through the benefit of our scientific advancement it's all too easy for a chain reaction of bad events to ripple and create a disastrous ****tail. Which is, of course, how all disasters happen, not through a single event but through an unlikely series of events all happening in just the wrong place and time. The Titanic would still be floating as a museum if just EVERYTHING hadn't gone wrong exactly when and where and how it did. All the good things cited are true, but we've also foolishly built a house of cards while even more foolishly convincing ourselves we have not. Things will continue to be fine and dandy as long as no one removes the wrong cards. Which is, of course, inevitable. Nature figures out a way to do it, time and time again. Regardless, the answers to the future are almost always found in the past.
An ounce of preparedness is worth a pound of cure though. There may be more problems and bigger problems now, but we are at least aware of them, and there are people dedicating their lives to stopping or preventing them.

Until the 19th century, for instance, people didn't care one bit about endangered species going extinct. Then, the passenger pigeon incident happened, where a once-abundant creature was hunted down to extinction. People's eyes opened to the idea that, once a species dies out completely, it will never come back, and that people have not only the power to drive virtually any animal to extinction, but they also have the power to protect them. Currently, every remaining white rhinoceros has armed guards to protect it from poachers. Such a thing would've been inconceivable even 50 years ago, but here we are now.

It used to be that people would dump carbon monoxide and aerosols into the air, and so a hole had opened up in our ozone layer with an intensified greenhouse effect, which was growing (and still is). But once the public became aware of that, CFCs became banned, and there began a new wave of clean energy sources. We got nuclear energy (that's suspect, but it in fact pollutes less than fossil fuels), solar energy, wind energy, hydroelectric energy, and geothermal energy, and in the 21st century, there have been two new types: wave energy and tidal energy. All of these energy types (maybe except for nuclear) are gaining progress every year. I live in a region with little rain (maybe a bit too little, if you know about our drought), and I'm seeing more usage of solar energy all the time. The ozone hole still needs to be patched up, but we're on our way.

And then there's safety. There are the obvious ones, like the creation of the Food and Drug Administration and the regulation of hazardous waste, but when cars were first available to buy, those Model T's were roaming about everywhere with no traffic laws. So many people died, especially in areas of heavy population like New York City, that the newspapers didn't even bother talking about them. Plenty of people still die in traffic accidents today (but that might change drastically with driverless cars getting close to public consumption), but the proportion of deaths to motorists dropped drastically and has dropped with each passing decade due to improvements in vehicle design, new features to save lives both inside and out, and new laws to prevent unsafe driving with traffic cops going about enforcing them.

Really, I wouldn't want to go back to a time when non-whites were hosed on the street, to a time when a country that lost a war had its entire population put into slavery, to a time when people just dumped their solid waste onto the street below, or to a time when everyone lived in constant fear of the Mongols or the Huns or the British or the Romans or whatever dominant conquering, killing force was at the time. (Know how Hernán Cortez and his small band of conquistadors were able to take down the mighty Aztec Empire? Because he had a knack for persuading leaders of peoples the Aztecs had conquered and uniting them all against the Aztecs.)

There was always crap on tv. In my opinion. cartoons we have today are just as good as the ones that came beforehand. Steven u, over the garden wall, adventure time, wander over yander the recent tmnt reboot, regular show, gravity falls and adult cartoons like rick and morty, bob's burger, archer, bojack horseman. I know it's all opinion, but you're stating it as if it were fact that cartoons of today aren't good. Are you sure you didn't just, i don't know, grow up.
As someone who consumed a lot of cartoons back in the day and am still an animation fan now, I'd say there'splenty of good animation on TV right now. Look at that, I have an avatar of Star Butterfly from Star vs. the Forces of Evil, and I usually have an avatar of Sunset Shimmer from My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic (as divisive as that show is, I personally quite like it, and the fact that it took off against all oddsshows there's still quite the demand for American animation).

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
I'm sorry, but there's no way a cartoon about anthropomorphic cats flying around in a fighter jet that has ejector seats that can be piloted by themselves and a detatchable motorcycle fighting aliens and mutants with a bitchin' 90's soundtrack is as good as or inferior to any of those. It's not scientifically possible.

Really, I wouldn't want to go back to a time when non-whites were hosed on the street, to a time when a country that lost a war had its entire population put into slavery, to a time when people just dumped their solid waste onto the street below, or to a time when everyone lived in constant fear of the Mongols or the Huns or the British or the Romans or whatever dominant conquering, killing force was at the time.
I would go back through time just to troll people like never before. For example:

1. Photoshop Joseph McCarthy's head on Stalin's body
2. Sell it to every newspaper in America
3. ???
4. Profit

1. Take my 3DS and Pokémon X back through time
2. Go to a school where all the kids are raving about their new Atari 2600s
3. Pull out my 3DS and completely blow their minds
4. "Oh yeah, Nintendo came out with this 5 years ago."

1. Go find 1980's Bill Gates
2. Show him my 2014 gaming PC
3. ???
4. Megaprofit

I'm not sure if I'm actually a Grade A douchebag, or just really good at thinking like one.

Smashling79

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Linkmaster3000
I didn't say all the cartoons on TV today were bad. In my opinion though the shows on today can't compare with the shows back in the 90's. Batman TAS, Cybersix, Powerpuff girls, Dexters lab, Samurai Jack, Johnny Bravo, and Edd Edd'n Eddy and What's with Andy were really amazing shows. Also was it really necessary to comment saying I never grew up? That was uncalled for pal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom