• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Octo Expansion/Future DLC Discussion Thread

Drew Sebastino

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Espozo
Switch Friend Code
SW-3924-6316-9401
It made me think that maybe Splatoon won't just be kind of an afterthought in Nintendo's minds.
Of course it won't; think of how much money they would have had to made. Both games put together would have made something like 600 million dollars, if you multiply 10 million copies by $60. Of course, this is a very rough estimate because it isn't taking into account expenses like marketing or development, or taking into account profit from merchandising or systems sold solely for Splatoon (both my Wii U and my Switch, lol), but it's a lot of money.

ARMS, on the other hand... :rolleyes:

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
Not to go too off topic, but splatoon was basically a giant hit on the wii u (besides the failure of the wii u itself). Was one of the top 10 best selling games only being beaten out by mario, smash and games that came with the console itself like nintendo land. Naturally they'd want spoil that baby like the prodigy that it is. They tried to replicate that success with arms, but um.... yeah. At least they tried. Though could probably make a different thread on why splatoon succeeded and why arms was kind of succesful-ish(?).

Drew Sebastino

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Espozo
Switch Friend Code
SW-3924-6316-9401
@Leronne it ultimately comes down to gameplay. Arms has the depth of a bottle of water spread five miles.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
You leave ARMS alone! o(-`д´- 。)

It's a sweet, awkward kid that showed up to the right place at the wrong time.

*pets* 's okay sweetie, you'll show them all someday. ;_;

I probably won't be an Octoling myself since I like Inklings too much, but if I can, I'll switch to one on my alt.
Don't see why you need to go through the trouble of making an alt for an octoling, unless you already have an established alt account. *shrug* Me, I already switch back-and-forth between girl and boy inkling fairly regularly so swapping between all four kids will be no different for me.

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
(and this where the translations get weird) the groove of Shiokara clan in the soul(?). Shiokara translates to "salted fish".
Shiokara is the Japanese name of the Squid Sisters, the character seems to have the music playing in his memory, or well, his soul, in poetic terms (it says it's "lodging in the soul" which makes me think of a more elaborate earworm honestly), which further makes me wonder if he was a former inkling (a sunken scroll referenced that inklings have their hymn written in their genetic code, which has been also sung by the Squid Sisters, Calamary Inkantation). The grammar on the Japanese nintendo site also tends to hint at this. Either this, or he/she (to start going gender neutral, lol) might have heard the tunes playing when Agent 003 was facing DJ Octavio with the aid of the Squid Sisters - and it stuck in his sub-conscious memory. Lots and lots to speculate on, I'll have to take some time analyzing all the material to get a better overall image.

At any rate, thanks for sharing the tweets, the stages are looking amazing. Really hyped for the expansion, I hope it'll be as full of lore as it seems to be! :D

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
Shiokara is the Japanese name of the Squid Sisters, the character seems to have the music playing in his memory, or well, his soul, in poetic terms (it says it's "lodging in the soul" which makes me think of a more elaborate earworm honestly), which further makes me wonder if he was a former inkling (a sunken scroll referenced that inklings have their hymn written in their genetic code, which has been also sung by the Squid Sisters, Calamary Inkantation). The grammar on the Japanese nintendo site also tends to hint at this. Either this, or he/she (to start going gender neutral, lol) might have heard the tunes playing when Agent 003 was facing DJ Octavio with the aid of the Squid Sisters - and it stuck in his sub-conscious memory. Lots and lots to speculate on, I'll have to take some time analyzing all the material to get a better overall image.

At any rate, thanks for sharing the tweets, the stages are looking amazing. Really hyped for the expansion, I hope it'll be as full of lore as it seems to be! :D
Of course. I checked for the japanese name of Off the Hook when translating, but forgot to check for the Squid Sisters. Thanks. Will edit Immediately.

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Indeed! I hope they're about as cute as Inkling noises. Afterall, we're probably going to get a bunch of "Booyah!" happy Octolings. Can whatever they say match up with an Inkling randomly saying "Sweaty!"?
=/ mmmmmm I don't share this sentiment,
or better stated, this line of thinking has me leery. I hope the Splat Dev's decided not stray too far from the original sfx vibe (since I'm sure they're done with all the assets and well into fine tuning/polish by now)
I'd like the "cool" to outweigh the "cute" for lack of a better explanation.
man I like the "what's the matter, inkling?" sounding taunt ( :32) >=P

I can see people getting angry that you have to pay an extra $20 to get the complete story, and I understand why they'd be frustrated, but I personally don't mind.
Quite the opposite! This should be how nintendo gets extra revenue; amiibo, optional merch like splatoon pro controllers/cases, paid DLC (that does NOT detract from the main game. . . also I'm hoping this doesn;t mark the advent of dropping the free dlc of splatoon 2) are much more sincere ways of profiting. As opposed to charging us an additional fee to use our own internet because it's "industry standard".

But we've been down this road before, and who listens to ol' Waffles when he's upset anyways? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

EDIT
Does that mean we have to find Scrolls in all 80 of these levels too?...
<.< I wouldn't mind that I rather enjoy the silliness of sunken scrolls, so long as the devs don't burn themselves out, desperately trying to make more.

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
=/ mmmmmm I don't share this sentiment,
or better stated, this line of thinking has me leery. I hope the Splat Dev's decided not stray too far from the original sfx vibe (since I'm sure they're done with all the assets and well into fine tuning/polish by now)
I'd like the "cool" to outweigh the "cute" for lack of a better explanation.
man I like the "what's the matter, inkling?" sounding taunt ( :32) >=P

Quite the opposite! This should be how nintendo gets extra revenue; amiibo, optional merch like splatoon pro controllers/cases, paid DLC (that does NOT detract from the main game. . . also I'm hoping this doesn;t mark the advent of dropping the free dlc of splatoon 2) are much more sincere ways of profiting. As opposed to charging us an additional fee to use our own internet because it's "industry standard".

But we've been down this road before, and who listens to ol' Waffles when he's upset anyways? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

EDIT

<.< I wouldn't mind that I rather enjoy the silliness of sunken scrolls, so long as the devs don't burn themselves out, desperately trying to make more.
Those octo giggles tho drools
Also the sound bite at 14 seconds sounds like a real cough and caught me off guard XD

the

Inkling Commander
Are those dualie squelchers in the second pic?? If that’s the case, I guess we’ll be using more than just “every weapon class” for this campaign.

Though that begs the question of whether we can replay all other weapons. Given this information I would say no, on the grounds that it’s a lot more effort to adjust 80 stages to each weapon than it probably was for the original story mode for each basic weapon and also on the grounds that I don’t want to play through every level a million times to 100% complete the story

HOWEVER I can see them maybe keeping the “every weapon class” rule but having WHICH weapon from the class you can use differ?
So like instead of using “hero dualies” through the game you would be given gloogas on one stage, squelchers on another, etc.
Though idk how they would handle replaying. If it’s even possible to replay these stages with different weapons (which I hope it is, that was a lot of fun in the original story), they might have different presets for different stages?
So on a stage where you get the glooga dualies, your other options may be hydra splatling, dynamo roller, octobrush, etc
But on a stage where you get dapple dualies, you may have the options of the mini splatling, carbon roller, inkbrush, etc

This is probably completely wrong, but it’s fun to speculate! :p

What’s less fun is that my idea of cool alt-kit reskins of each weapon class is probably out the window now. Them’s the breaks

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
Now that the GameXplain analysis of the trailer is up.

After further analysis, I do have to agree with their assessment that these levels will be more like trial challenges.

For instance the levels shown with the Octostamps with the color panels, the stage with the huge rotating void of Octocommanders, and the level with a bunch of Inkrails with the boxes are probably gonna be very self contained small trial levels.

Of course there will still be level that are more linear obstacle course like, just like the normal campaign. But we do see levels which appear to have you exclusively using the Inkject, Baller, or even no weapon at all and its just a Inkrail survival course.

Based on that, weapons will most definitely be pre-assigned per level.

Last edited:

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
Ooh, yeah... I was thinking if it was 80 full levels like in Octo Canyon, it would be a good value, but it's possible each of those 80 challenges is like a single segment (between two super jump spots). Then again, it could still be cool if the challenges are unique enough. I did love Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Found a more recent-ish video with the octoling voice clips for Splatoon 2. Maybe a couple or so new clips, but pretty much all the same clips from Splatoon 1 as per the video Green Waffles posted.

Anyway, so after completing three puzzle games in almost as many weeks (I heard my brain leaking as it turned to jelly x_X)... not sure how I'll feel if there's another 1, 000% option for completing all 80 levels with every weapon (you every-bang-for-your-buck monsters!!). But other than that and maybe speedrun leaderboards, what other types of replayability could they create?

But considering the mentions of difficulty and a stage skip option, it kinda corroborates with the Gamexplain and Gameboy's conjecture of some trial challenges and small stages amid a plethora of 80 stages.

Ugh~, I'm gonna have to take a day or two off and DC myself from the internet for maybe a week!—because within 12 hours of release you know people are gonna spoil it and spoilers will show up on social/video/gaming/etc. feeds even if you don't login and expunged all data from your browser beforehand! T_T

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
@Ansible I hear that
though I've found that when I restrict my own web browsing to trusted spoiler free places, I'm fine.
I still came to a couple threads on squidboards after the pre-release single player footage was showcased on nintendo treehouse. =p
But yeah, visiting places like twitter might be risky, depending on who you follow (or whatever it's called, I don;t twitter putside of splatoon news and in-game screenshot/meme posting)

EDIT:
Just a guess
But I think the big character in the subway car is a Barrelfish ;0

Last edited:

Kidnacho

Senior Squid
NNID
Kidnacho
Switch Friend Code
SW-3767-4369-9288
I've also seen the Gamexplain analysis and can definitely see these levels being little test chambers with challenges.

This also sparked this little theory in my head: Perhaps we play an Octoling who tried to escape from Octo Canyon, but was killed along the way. Maybe not killed since that could be too dark for Nintendo, even with all the dark lore this series already has, but beaten down enough to where Agent 8 couldn't reach that goal. Sure, this would likely have to mean that the soldiers in the single player campaign are also brainwashed, but I think it could still work.
Cap'n Cuttlefish and Agent 3 would find Agent 8's corpse or weak body and cut off their tentacle to attempt to clone it. And Octorians are born by cutting off their tentacles. This could explain why you have no memories of your past and the test tube scene. You're a clone of yourself saved by Cuttlefish and Agent 3. It could potentially also explain why the announcer said you play an Octoling in a puzzled manner as pointed out by Gamexplain. There could've been something that they had to add to bring you back to life that doesn't quite make you 100% octoling. Maybe a little Inkling DNA had to be donated and made you slightly different. As someone, somewhere on the Internet pointed out, the ears look a little weird. They're different from each other. Plus, I thought the face looked slightly strange. Not in the ugly way but that it felt like it was off somehow. You're cloned and you wake up where Cap'n Cuttlefish has waited for you. He recruits you as Agent 8, and sends you off to these testing facilities in hopes that these will bring back memories of the soldier seeking freedom you once were. Agent 3 could be around to make sure that Agent 8 doesn't turn back to a soldier fighting Inklings or support Agent 8 in little ways. Such as weapon tips or hints of your past. You enter these chambers and you slowly regain your memory, learning that you were once against Inklings until you decided to flee. To run away from the hypno-shades and join the surface. As for the Squid Sisters earworm, I think there's one of two possibilities. You're a soldier from either the Octavio vs Agent 3 fight, or the Octavio vs Agent 4 fight. I think the one against Agent 3 is more likely. I agree with the people who think this takes place at the same time as Agent 4's story, and I believe this could help explain why Marina is around. Pearl probably knows her way around the subways like the back of her hand. She's probably taught Marina but if she already knows where to go why is Marina necessary? The sunken scrolls confirm that Marina was once an Octoling soldier in the crowds of the fight against Agent 3. She also might've helped save you along with Cuttlefish and Agent 3. She could've known you as a soldier in that crowd for all we know or could at least recognize you as one, and probably recognized your body before being cloned. Or Marina knows the potential struggles of an Octoling trying to escape from Octo Valley/Canyon. So even if she couldn't recognize who you were, she could tell you were one of the unlucky Octolings trying to escape but couldn't. She found your body first and brought Cap'n Cuttlefish and Agent 3 to you, to which they decided to let her and Pearl join their research mission.
So, you're cloned and you wake up with a familiar song you've never heard of stuck in your head. That being your only clue to your past. A strange man is waiting for you and take you to the subway. There's an octoling there who looks like someone you've seen before. Suddenly, you're pushed into a testing facility, the first of many. Slowly they bring back a memory, and then another memory, and another, and another until it becomes clear. You're one of the soldiers who you've been running away from this whole time along with the same octoling on the subway in a crowd watching something. There's some sort of large machine fighting an inkling, the same one you now recognize as someone who's helped you regain your memory. In the distance the strange old man is dancing in rags. During all of this, a song is playing. The same song as when you first woke up.
Sorry for the long and jumbled up mess but when I think of these I may or may not put too much detail into them. Feel free to comment on this, positive or negative.

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
hey. More tweets. Gonna be real quick with these cause i've got other stuff to do. Will correct them later when i have the chance.

This is cap'n cuttlefish (yadda yadda, goes into explaining who he is)
He was supposed to be patrolling with his disciple agent 3, but wandered into the underground and got lost for some reason and also got separated form agent 3.

"the 'Deep Sea Metro' is the main mode of transportation in the underground world"
"The ecosystem here has evolved differently from that above ground making the residents look different and quite scary. They seem to be nice people."

Station where the deep sea metro stops. Each station is directly connected to the experimental facility, (and once again weird translation) and the mechanism of that hand attacks No. 8/and this kind of trick attacks eight (not sure what this means)
And the rest of the tweet mentions that each stage has different types of challenges to complete, like a stage where only special weapons is allowed. something something leverage your weapons and techniques.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom