• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Octo Expansion/Future DLC Discussion Thread

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Good ol' GameXplain

Some of the stuff they think up is out there!
They've got sharp eyes though, and usually have some good info bits buried in their videos =p

seaWEED

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-3569-5511-7797
Wonder what it'll mean that the octotarians were are blue-skinned. But I'm more curious what they octolings will sound like. Maybe it'll be a mix of the current octoling sound files and some new stuff?

Yet we don't know what an octoboy. And I wanna know the octoling equivalent of "woomy!"

Or maybe... "woomy" is universal. @_@

I disagree because boy squid says NGYES! , not WOOMY!.

seaWEED

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-3569-5511-7797
I will now give my full thoughts on the Octo Expansion. First off, I really don't care about the fact that Octolings are playable. I prefer my NGYES.
At the same time though, I don't think they should be locked behind a paywall. At least they are not random cosmetics boxes, though. Those things really tick me off. The footage we saw was really cool. I'm glad that special only level are in it. The kraken challenges in the first game were extremely fun. I think the DLC should be free if you have all of the amiibos. The amiibos don't do that much right now. (I'm still going to buy the new amiibos, though.) I hope that we get to hear Pear and Marina's backstory, as the sunken scrolls have a lot of holes in them.

_Koriko_

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-3709-6740-5598
After seeing these tumblr posts, I'm wondering; is the number 10,008 important in some way?

Also, here's a translation I found for this tweet :
It's basically saying this sea cucumber is the subway's conductor (WHAT, No way) and that if in doubt, talk to the conductor, which is presumably him. It also mentions how he can handle many tasks.

Amarae

Splatoon subreddit & discord Mod
Community Ambassador
NNID
Amiithystine
Switch Friend Code
SW-5344-8655-6309
It's not a huge point of discussion, but I'm curious about that single player mode and what it's going to entail for the casual playerbase. Mostly everyone here or in many of the communities for Splatoon takes online play seriously to some degree, enough that we've all breezed through the story mode. However it was not at all uncommon for me, especially on the subreddit, to encounter users claiming difficultly with the single player, notably the final boss.

While it's hard to tell from the short clips, the Octo missions (Of which there are 80!) look more intense, and I wonder how the casual playerbase is going to handle that if it's the barrier for entry on octolings. I'm not going to lie, the prospect of having content locked behind beating singleplayer that people actually struggle to get tickles me but then I would feel pretty bad if that were the case.

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
It's not a huge point of discussion, but I'm curious about that single player mode and what it's going to entail for the casual playerbase. Mostly everyone here or in many of the communities for Splatoon takes online play seriously to some degree, enough that we've all breezed through the story mode. However it was not at all uncommon for me, especially on the subreddit, to encounter users claiming difficultly with the single player, notably the final boss.

While it's hard to tell from the short clips, the Octo missions (Of which there are 80!) look more intense, and I wonder how the casual playerbase is going to handle that if it's the barrier for entry on octolings. I'm not going to lie, the prospect of having content locked behind beating singleplayer that people actually struggle to get tickles me but then I would feel pretty bad if that were the case.
The ability to skip missions was mentioned in some of the tweets about Octo Expansion. The creators definitely wanted to make these challenges more challenging than the base Octo Canyon levels. So much so that they felt to need to implement some sort of skip feature for less skilled players.

Amarae

Splatoon subreddit & discord Mod
Community Ambassador
NNID
Amiithystine
Switch Friend Code
SW-5344-8655-6309
Holy Carp! I love the style of the solo experience, but it was just so lacking for.. well really anyone skilled enough to play multplayer. I haven't been following the tweets since I've been fairly busy, I guess we've discussed them here in this thread and I'll have to scroll back through that.

Playable Octolings is definitely neat, but I think it's the potential for a greater solo challenge that has my highest interest. Of course we've yet to see the full details of what's to come.

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
Holy Carp! I love the style of the solo experience, but it was just so lacking for.. well really anyone skilled enough to play multplayer. I haven't been following the tweets since I've been fairly busy, I guess we've discussed them here in this thread and I'll have to scroll back through that.

Playable Octolings is definitely neat, but I think it's the potential for a greater solo challenge that has my highest interest. Of course we've yet to see the full details of what's to come.
I agree, especially since you have have Pearl and Marina help you and skip the level. If they let you skip in the level in THESE single player levels and not the original ones, then they've got to be hard!

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I want to beat them all, no skips!
Real octolings don't skip >;P
and no upgrades, assuming they are even a feature in this single player expansion.

Anyways, regarding skipping. The tweet mentions it takes some kind of special currency used only in the octo-expansion to skip levels.
So, depepnding on how you get said currency, skipping ALL the levels is likely impossible.

SO
if players are unable to skip all the levels, I'm willing to bet their are some levels on the easier side so that players, who are keen on skipping, won't get too frustrated trying to earn enough of said currency to skip the harder levels (please not too easy please not too easy).

_Koriko_

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-3709-6740-5598
I think Octo Expansion isn't entirely to draw causals in, like the story campaign. You learn how to use the weapons, beat the final boss, and go into online being a better player. I think the original was so that someone who wasn't so good at shooters might still be a possible customer.

Octo Expansion, on the other hand, will hopefully give something new to the not in the sense so they can attract more players, but rather keep their community alive and going. I mean, most people I know who also play Splatoon 2 rushed out to buy the DLC as soon as possible, so it's working.

'

Basic Translation: most of it is hard to understand, but I can just figure out two things the tweet says: It's not very common to see passengers down there, and that the people on these underground subways look very different than the people above ground. this means we'll be seeing many species that exist other than Inklings and Octarians.

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
The Octopus form just looks disgustingly bad. What was wrong with the original form? This just yet again follows the typical Splatoon 2 theme of fixing what isn't broken and breaking it. Of course the new Octolings being a heavy downgrade is just my opinion, but personally I'm honestly disappointed. I've been waiting for quite some time for playable Octolings, and so far they have screwed up both the Octoling hair style (which I hope won't be the only two there will be), as well as the Octopus form.

Except for the eyes, which could have of course just been altered, the original design was just much superior.

the

Inkling Commander
The Octopus form just looks disgustingly bad. What was wrong with the original form? This just yet again follows the typical Splatoon 2 theme of fixing what isn't broken and breaking it. Of course the new Octolings being a heavy downgrade is just my opinion, but personally I'm honestly disappointed. I've been waiting for quite some time for playable Octolings, and so far they have screwed up both the Octoling hair style (which I hope won't be the only two there will be), as well as the Octopus form.

Except for the eyes, which could have of course just been altered, the original design was just much superior.
I think they changed it due to hitbox-y reasons, so the model/hitbox ratio would be as close to the inklings’ as possible. (And I guess this might support some ppl’s fan theory that these are inkling-octoling hybrids.)
Someone posted a hack somewhere of the multiplayer octoling model being playable and its octo form was much bigger than a squidkid’s. So yea, i’m guessing it was changed for gameplay/“fairness” reasons.

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
I think they changed it due to hitbox-y reasons, so the model/hitbox ratio would be as close to the inklings’ as possible. (And I guess this might support some ppl’s fan theory that these are inkling-octoling hybrids.)
Someone posted a hack somewhere of the multiplayer octoling model being playable and its octo form was much bigger than a squidkid’s. So yea, i’m guessing it was changed for gameplay/“fairness” reasons.
That definitely would make sense. Though I think with its original and resized Splatoon 1 form, an issue of hitbox↔model could have still been solved. Yes, would have sadly been also a bit more effort rather than just copy and pasting the original Octoling form, but it would have still definitely been less effort and, to me personally, would just look several times better.

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
More octo.
Tweet doesn't say much. Just that they look different, but play the same.
Oh dear, me likey. This stache looks so inkredibly silly. :D Okay, to be fair, at first I was a little bummed they didn't just downsize the original model but the silly stache has grown on me a lot. It looks especially adorkable in the superjump-pose. And to be fair, the stache-look looks more consistent with the player-model splatoon style. It blends in really well. The villain-y model, even when downsized, would've seemed out of place, proportions-wise. Mayhaps. At least that's what I can guess from the linked image of the old model.

_Koriko_

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-3709-6740-5598
I think the new octopus model fits with the squid models a little better. the old one, while great, doesn't match the squids at all. This one, however, has the same thin kind of build that the squids have, making them feel more alike.

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
Splatoon's official tumblr has translated the tweet talking about being able to skip levels or challenges as they put it. Apparently you can skip levels at no cost at all, or at the very least it doesn't seem like there's a cost.

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
Splatoon's official tumblr has translated the tweet talking about being able to skip levels or challenges as they put it. Apparently you can skip levels at no cost at all, or at the very least it doesn't seem like there's a cost.
Seems in order to skip the level, you'll first have to fail at the level.

But, that means you'll still have to actually unlock each level. But given each level seems to require 100 credits to access and I assume you get credits from playing levels. I doubt you can just skip everything immediately.

So, if you do plan of skipping a lot of levels, my guess is you'll still have to do some grinding on some of the easier levels, cause playing each challenge isn't free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom