• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Octo Expansion/Future DLC Discussion Thread

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I like this newer octopus model
But I also am quite partial to the original model, like @Ulk

I'd have preferred the old one myself, I'm not really seeing this big hitbox discrepency (I'd need an in-game side by side screenshot)
but then new one is still good.
Old model = A+
New model = B
(and this new model would make sense if all the crazy inkling/octoling hybrid theories were actually true. xP)

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Either by 3.0 or in the OctoExpansion, I'm hoping for some midriff revealing pieces due to every octoling we've seen thus far (OG octolings in both games, Marina, Agent 8 girl and boy) all expose their bellies.

The option is character and lore appropriate! /nerd :p

the

Inkling Commander
Either by 3.0 or in the OctoExpansion, I'm hoping for some midriff revealing pieces due to every octoling we've seen thus far (OG octolings in both games, Marina, Agent 8 girl and boy) all expose their bellies.

The option is character and lore appropriate! /nerd :p
What we really need is a fitness trainer character from musselforge fitness in the square. You pay sea snails to do a workout routine that makes your squid/octo’s abs just.... Absolutely ripped. I’m talking about a solid eight-pack, without flexing. Just shredded.

Maave

Inkling Commander

I'd have preferred the old one myself, I'm not really seeing this big hitbox discrepency (I'd need an in-game side by side screenshot)
Old model = A+
New model = B
(and this new model would make sense if all the crazy inkling/octoling hybrid theories were actually true. xP)
Here's a pic of the Octo in Splat 1.

It's the hair that's freaking huge, the rest of the model appears the same. One of two situations happens
1) they keep the hitbox the same. Most people aim at the model and slightly miss the hitbox.
or
2) they increase the hitbox to match the model. Now the Octos are easier to hit.

It happens in some other video games when the models are different sizes. I remember players in Blacklight Retribution complaining about the size discrepancies between male and female models.

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Oh no @Maave , I was talking about the squid / octo forms
not the kid forms xD
(I do prefer the purple of the origiinal octo eyeliner over the new black, however)

MotorGamer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
MotorGamer
Am I the only one here who thinks that the Octoboy haircut is trash? I mean it looks very weird, being a Mohawk... Can Nintendo create one good haircut for male gender characters?

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
Am I the only one here who thinks that the Octoboy haircut is trash? I mean it looks very weird, being a Mohawk... Can Nintendo create one good haircut for male gender characters?
Splatoon 2's new hairstyles aren't trying to be weeby or anything. They're trying to parallel actual modern day contemporary hairstyles. Hence both gender having the hipster comb overs and the bang cuts. The Octoling Boy is no exception.

FatReuniclus

Full Squid
NNID
Sillykola
My goodness I forgot I had an account here.

Old model = A+
New model = B
While the new models do seem a little... odd, I think they fit better alongside the Inklings proportionally and thematically (squid form is pudgier and more cutesy). Plus, the old octopus form, I'm pretty certain, wasn't very animated. That's not TOO much of a problem for squids, because they don't move their limbs much as the jet propel along, but octopuses are very nearly always seen bunching up and then straightening their tentacles together as they flee.

Also, this image is apparently as old as the reveal, but I must have either missed it or forgotten about it before today. Also, it's relevant to the discussion.

Honestly, the only thing I don't like about the shown model compared to this image is the facial tentacles forming a handlebar mustache for no reason. I'm sure I'll warm up to it really quickly, but it's still odd.

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
Morning squids, octo's and/or other (semi-)aquatic organisms. It's time for another round of crappily translated octo tweets, featuring google translate. (as always, help for these is always appreciated).

"This is "Telephone".
It guides No. 8 through the underground and gives you the "NAMACO terminal" and "NAMACO card" necessary for exploration.
It seems to know a lot"

"'NAMACO terminal" is the terminal dedicated to the underground facilities, which can not be used for exploration (?). When using the terminal in the subway car, the "Deep Sea Metro route map" is displayed. There you can choose which station you wish to go to and it will take you there"

"There is a ticket gate at each station and leads to an experiment facility from here. You can challenge these using "NAMACO points" charged to your card by the ticket gate. When you clear a challenge "clear house" will be displayed. The amount of points you get after clearing a challenge is different depending on the weapon you used."
I'm assuming harder to use weapons give more points (in this image squiffer seems to be that one) so i'm definitely taking the harder route any chance i get. I like a good challenge.

(?) means i'm not sure of the translation.

EDIT: forgot to add this article that gives a TLDR on an interview IGN did with a splatoon producer on the octo expansion:
https://gonintendo.com/stories/3055...-2-producer-on-the-vision-behind-the-latest-o

Last edited:

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
Oh, did not see the multiple weapon options with varying rewards being a thing for certain missions.

That will certainly spice things up and give some replay value for some missions, just for fun at least.

I like this approach. Given the weapons are probably designed to work with the given mission, it gives us replay value to some missions but it probably won't feel like playing certain weapons in Octo Canyon here you can clearly feel the weapons weren't made for these levels.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
Morning squids, octo's and/or other (semi-)aquatic organisms. It's time for another round of crappily translated octo tweets, featuring google translate. (as always, help for these is always appreciated).

"This is "Telephone".
It guides No. 8 through the underground and gives you the "NAMACO terminal" and "NAMACO card" necessary for exploration.
It seems to know a lot"

"'NAMACO terminal" is the terminal dedicated to the underground facilities, which can not be used for exploration (?). When using the terminal in the subway car, the "Deep Sea Metro route map" is displayed. There you can choose which station you wish to go to and it will take you there"

"There is a ticket gate at each station and leads to an experiment facility from here. You can challenge these using "NAMACO points" charged to your card by the ticket gate. When you clear a challenge "clear house" will be displayed. The amount of points you get after clearing a challenge is different depending on the weapon you used."
I'm assuming harder to use weapons give more points (in this image squiffer seems to be that one) so i'm definitely taking the harder route any chance i get. I like a good challenge.

EDIT: forgot to add this article that gives a TLDR on an interview IGN did with a splatoon producer on the octo expansion:
https://gonintendo.com/stories/3055...-2-producer-on-the-vision-behind-the-latest-o
A squiffer with burst bomb.....:scared: these loadouts look pretty decent though I have to admit I would love to see some of these challenge weapons get into the game Sheldon picks or alongside the DLC.
I like the map unique challenges as well as the mini challege quests for NAMCO credits should make this enjoyable and pretty fun to go back and replay, and it would be cool to see some of those NAMCO creditis earn some exclusive DLC gear (like the og octogear or the agent 8 outfit)

I will also admit I am sold on the Octobar moustache design for the octolings
WAIT A MINUTE.... I have seen stache before

Octolings are Italians....it's confirmed

Attachments

MotorGamer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
MotorGamer

"This is "Telephone".
It seems to know a lot"

Adding in to repeatability, this seems to fix the problems that I had with the normal single player campaign. I generally think that the base weapon for each class tends to be the most bland, even though it might be the best in its class (Splat Brella, Splat Charger) so to see them mix this up is good. And yes I know the Octo Brush isn't really the base weapon, but come on, there are really only two weapons in that class.

catmeow1

Inkling
I was just thinking about the infinite special levels. Does the special activate when you pick it up? are you already using the special when the level starts? If you pick up the special at the beginning, can you still press (R) to activate it, or is that type of challenge not going to happen? exp: say the inkjet level we´ve seen. would you be able to try to take it on special-less? Oh, and just saying, Nintendo shouldn´t of changed the octoling´s ink entering form. (sounds weird, but squid-form doesn´t apply, sooo)

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
Maybe the three variants are three different specials? Infinite inkjet might be the easiest, followed by infinite stingray and maybe infinite bomb launcher or baller.

catmeow1

Inkling
Well, yes, but my question is do you get to choose to activate the special or not. Infinite bomb launcher has got to be interesting.

_Koriko_

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-3709-6740-5598
I'm excited to play a level with different weapons. It'll bring a little more challenge to certain stages.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom