• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Octo Expansion/Future DLC Discussion Thread

seaWEED

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-3569-5511-7797
Post your thoughts on the new DLC! I am very excited about it. I could care less about the new octoling hairstyles, though.

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
CPT Cuttlefish seems to be wearing his old uniform, or at least green fatigues that look like his old uniform.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
By the way, there is some really creepy water roach (?) new character in the trailer. Would be fun if that thing was the new villain... Or anyone really, just not freaking DJ Octavio again, please.

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
I find the new look of all the Octarians very intriguing. It isn't even that they had a simple ink color change, they all have black scleras and a very abnormal skin pigment.

I mean this simple details HAS to be explained to some capacity. The announcer mentions the area is a sketchy test chamber, seems somebody has either experimenting on Octarians to make them into these demonic atrocities, or they've been doing something like cloning or producing artificial Octarians.

Needless to say the scene with what we presume to be Agent 8 in the green fluid leads me to believe your Octoling has some key role in all of this or is a result of it.

Then we have our new Octoling being Agent 8, other than the obvious joke about him/her being an Octoling and 8, I wonder if they will elaborate if there are Agents 5-7. Just based on speculation, Capt Cuttlefish could've recruited Pearl and Marina as 5 and 6, so that would still leave 7 and I don't think Sheldon or our new Sea Cucumber friend count.

Needless to say, I'm interested in this both for the gameplay as well for the potential story it has in store for us.

Spraylan

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JonasOrtega
Does anyone have screen grabs of all the stages shown in the trailer?

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
Splatoon's JP twitter has been hinting at what to expect for the upcoming DLC in a series of tweets.
Now disclaimer, i can't read or speak japanese at all, so what i'm about to say is based purely on google translate and other such means. as such some of the info may not be 100% correct. If you have a better translation, feel free to mention it and i'll edit my post as such.

Anyways on to the tweets.
This first one mentions that the name of the hero you play as is "No. 10008" also known as just "No. 8 or agent 8". The hero has lost his memory (who am i, what is this place etc) and is fighting his way through 80 stages to escape this strange underground facility being moved by the groove of the squid sisters in his soul.
This last part is more poetic than anything. potentially hints at a bunch of stuff.

"the story takes place in a huge underground experimentation facility. It's still a mystery as to who and for what purpose it was made. It seems to be a space separated from the outside world, as if time has stopped."

"your adventure will be guided by pearl aka "MC Princess" and Marina aka "DJ E-da". Two new songs by Off the Hook will be revealed (assuming the first one was the trailer music which was banging), and also the backstory of how they (Pearl and Marina) met."
This one has me the most intrigued.

basically you can skip levels and advance the story if they're too hard. You can still play as an octoling online after going through all the levels even if you skipped a few. Tweet doesn't mention this, but there seems to also be a price for skipping a level. i'm not sure.

last one
"Octolings play the same as inkings. Once you clear the octo expansion, you can choose them as a customization option online."
And a bunch of photos showing them in different outfits and weapons. There was no mention of hairstyles, but hopefully that's also an option 'cause i'm not a fan of the octo boy's one.

Welp, that's basically it. Some more screenshots and story hints.

Last edited:

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Wonder what it'll mean that the octotarians were are blue-skinned. But I'm more curious what they octolings will sound like. Maybe it'll be a mix of the current octoling sound files and some new stuff?

Yet we don't know what an octoboy. And I wanna know the octoling equivalent of "woomy!"

Or maybe... "woomy" is universal. @_@

Last edited:

J'Wiz

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JWiz
Indeed! I hope they're about as cute as Inkling noises. Afterall, we're probably going to get a bunch of "Booyah!" happy Octolings. Can whatever they say match up with an Inkling randomly saying "Sweaty!"?

The fact that we actually get some lore on the things they didn't explain in the game is something I was always hoping for. When the Zapfish disappeared, me, and a bunch of other people were wishing it was another single player event.

I can see people getting angry that you have to pay an extra $20 to get the complete story, and I understand why they'd be frustrated, but I personally don't mind.

I probably won't be an Octoling myself since I like Inklings too much, but if I can, I'll switch to one on my alt.

When I saw all of the stuff in the Direct, I was actually pretty happy. Not fully for the content itself, but because they put so much emphasis on Splatoon in the Direct. It made me think that maybe Splatoon won't just be kind of an afterthought in Nintendo's minds.

EDIT: I totally forgot to mention another sort of concern with Octolings. WIN/LOSS ANIMATIONS! It would be awesome if they had different win/loss animations than Inklings. I mean, I would still love to see a female Octoling with that goofy grin when winning with Dualies, but a new one would be even better!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom