• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Octoling Hype Thread 2: Electric Googaloo

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
@NBSink Well, it is in the name. Camp Triggerfish. But I love Splatlings and long range weapons, so I may have a bias here. I liked Camp Triggerfish! I just found it too frustrating how many of my teammates would forget that there is a back door into the base towards the end of a match.

Spraylan

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JonasOrtega
Challenge maps to unlock playable Octolings was exactly what I've been asking for since they were rumored back in Splatoon 1. They look pretty amazing too. I wanna play that baller level like, now. And there are 80 of them. I'm endless hype and these next 4 months are going to be agony.

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
Anyone wanna attempt an all weapon speedrun of the Single Player campaign available now? (just so we have something to do while we wait)
I gave up when i unlocked the Blaster...

@Windstar

Good enough?

Padre

Pro Squid
Anyone wanna attempt an all weapon speedrun of the Single Player campaign available now? (just so we have something to do while we wait)
I gave up when i unlocked the Blaster...

@Windstar

Good enough?

I think there are 100% speedruns, right?

darktenpura

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-1816-5244-1416
This hype is *REAL*
Awwwwwww man
I need it!
I need it now!
Plus the new looks of Porl and Marina are also sick as hell
I need it I need it I need it I need it

Goont

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PrankingMaster
The atmosphere of the trailer is so eerie. The creepy side of Splatoon, explored in full detail! Everything from the music, the bizzare camera angles, the floating gamecubes (???) and all the weird fish in the subway train paints a beautiful image of a dark underwater neon nightmare. This oozing of pure Splatoon aesthetic, and I just want to soak it all up.

Goont

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PrankingMaster
The designers nailed weird and cute with the Inklings, and continue to do so with the Octolings, as well as the entire vibe of the expansion. There's a perfect amount of cuteness and scary here to make this an incredible spectacle just to simply look at. For every adorable thing there's something unsettling. Cute Giant Gamecubes? Scary dark prison-esque lab. Pearl and Marina in cute outfits? Ok, but the Octarians are in all-black and tagged like hospital patients. Capn' Cuttlefish looking fly as hell in the subway? Here have a slew of intimidating weird well-dressed fish people, that are totally part of a fish mafia.

(I just used the phrase "Fish Mafia". Thanks Nintendo)

Absolutely Absol

Pro Squid
I have a theory these Octolings are actually Inkling-Octoling hybrids. Why?

Size of their tentacles are obvious. Also, their rounded ears are much longer than usual Octoling's. While their eye maskings aren't same as Inkling's but they're black unlike Octoling's purple eye rings.

Offical Splatoon art of Octoling without visor

Look at this image for ears: https://bravebravesirbrian.deviantart.com/art/Octoling-Ears-615645126
Sorry for horrifying you of this bald Octoling model

And look at images in aceofscarabs' post.

Their mid-transformation models are different, too.

Splatoon (note this is hacked in) From NWPlayer123's video
Splatoon 2 (from Octo Expansion trailer)
Inkling (left) and Octoling (right) from Octo Expansion trailer
Splatoon's original Inkling mid transformation (note this is male model. Girls have two long tentacles but in Splatoon 2, they're removed) I miss it :( No eyes visible in Splatoon 2's mid transformation...

As you can see it, enemy Octoling has more rounder head and much larger tentacles. Playable Octolings have small tentacles and bumps on the sides of their heads. They're much closer to Inklings than original Octolings.

And this pic. Aren't they so cute?
Then this pic. Whoa, they look scary.

The important Sunken Scroll from Splatoon 2
"The latest research has produced startling revelations about Inkling ink! One thought to simply disappear after a while, Inkling ink is actually rapidly disintegrated by airborne microbes!"
I think this implies that Octarians unable to produce ink similar to Inklings' therefore Octolings are barred from entering Turf War and other modes. Well, nobody wants to clean up their ink. Not even Jellyfish. What cheap. Mean corparates. Etc.

TL;DR: Octarians' ink don't dissolve like Inklings' do thus they are unable to enter TW and other modes. Too expensive to clean up. Some shady guy put Octarian tentacle in Inkling embryo to create hybrid. Or something.

Now back usual lurker mode. Have fun with this dumb post. I'm nOT SMART ENOUGh to make intelligent post.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
So it happened after all. Aside from how weirdly fanservicey Marina's outfit is in the video, everything looks pretty neat.

Goont

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PrankingMaster
Hey thats some crazy smart analysis. I actually think you're onto something though. Remember, we got a quick shot of what was very clearly two Octos in a green-liquid filled test tube. These things aren't born, they're genetically created!

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
Actually you guys are assuming inkling octoling hybrid, and it is clear they are genetically engineered, but octarian and inklings have beeen in peace for years do that wouldn't make snese lore wise.

However if was an octarian with human DNA ...that would explain the rounded ears, which no other octarians have had and the changes to the octarian model as well.
Plus lore wise it makes sense why'd they enigineer an octarian

Goont

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PrankingMaster
Actually you guys are assuming inkling octoling hybrid, and it is clear they are genetically engineered, but octarian and inklings have beeen in peace for years do that wouldn't make snese lore wise.

However if was an octarian with human DNA ...that would explain the rounded ears, which no other octarians have had and the changes to the octarian model as well.
Plus lore wise it makes sense why'd they enigineer an octarian
Human DNA?

Get ready to know the dark truth, Marina.

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Agent 8 is short a sleeve because they wanted to test whether she could reproduce "true" in traditional Octarian fashion (donor tentacles cloning).

Inkling kirby

Semi-Pro Squid

Anyone else seen this theory? Everything matches up.
Agent 8 wakes up without her memories, or any glasses on her head, which doesn't explain how she got there, but we know for sure she's not hypnotized, meaning her running from and fighting her own species (if it is her species, with all this doubt that she's full octarian) is completely reasonable. They want to take over her mind. If they can do it to Callie, they can do it to her. Waking up without her memory might even mean that she was controlled at one point, but somehow escaped or was freed. Either way, she's an important character, obviously, and I think we're going to see the truth about octarians and Agent 8 once and for all once this launches this summer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom