Octoling Hype Thread (prev. Assets in SplatNet)

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
Yeah now i look at it it's more like a long sleeveless shirt, my bad.
Oh, you're referring to the fire hydrant-looking thing. I thought you were talking about the one in the jungle hat.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
And then watch people get salty over Inklings not being in Smash and instead we get a character nobody wants. Seriously, I really want them playable along with Rayman & Klonoa. I don't want someone like Shantae due to being walking fanservice.
I'd love to see Klonoa but I HIGHLY doubt it'd happen. #Isaac4Smash
Also, I'm not entirely sure that form of fan service would be why they would add her. She is a very popular character and her games are fun. She has as good of a reason to be in Smash Bros as Shovel Knight.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
Also, I'm not entirely sure that form of fan service would be why they would add her. She is a very popular character and her games are fun. She has as good of a reason to be in Smash Bros as Shovel Knight.
Another reason Shantae is a popular addition, at least in the Anglosphere, is that Matt Bozon, creator of the series and the lead artist, has been quite actively campaigning for her inclusion into Super Smash Bros. 4. She is 3rd-party and almost unheard of in Japan, however, so it's unlikely. On the other hand, the same goes for Shovel Knight, and he got an amiibo, so anything could happen.

The general rule for 3rd-party characters in Smash Bros. seems to be that they must be characters who are legendary in video game history and more or less represent the company that makes their series. The only exception so far is Snake, and that's because Hideo Kojima and Masahiro Sakurai are friends. (And at this point, as they are paid DLC characters, that character must be reasonably popular enough to make back the money spent creating that character in DLC sales. Someone like Shantae CAN pull it off, though it's no guarantee like Inklings and Octolings. Someone like Klonoa has no chance. Rayman does, though Ubisoft promoted the heck out of the Rabbids during the 7th generation and pretty much stole the public attention away from him.)

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
Guys, we better get back to Octolings now.
Don't we have a Smash Bros topic for this? :/

But yeah, Octolings.
It seems that the new Resort-Map will come out in the next week.
So frankly, as far as Splatoon is concerned, the Direct only covered what will happen in the next couple weeks.

So a release in December for playable Octolings is not unrealistic.
Tho personally, I have a feeling they will probably come in January or February, if not later.

I have watched over NWPlayer's videos again, where she played as an Octoling.
And I realized just how much work has yet to be done.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
So a release in December for playable Octolings is not unrealistic.
Tho personally, I have a feeling they will probably come in January or February, if not later.
Yea, the way they said "at least until January" in the direct makes me think that if they do release the Octolings as playable, it likely won't be free, and they promised free DLC until January. Willing to bet it comes out a couple months into 2016.

Heroine of Squids

Inkling Cadet
NNID
bellpendant
Meh, the Shantae games feel pretty mediocre to me. I couldn't even get into the first one for the GBC due to how hard it was and I was afraid the sequels will be just like it. I seriously doubt the character will make it in because I don't think her series is quite as popular as say, Mario or Zelda. She's just as unknown as Klonoa.

Last edited:

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
I couldn't even get into the first one for the GBC due to how hard it was and I was afraid the sequels will be just like it.
Trust me when I say that the games have gotten better, with Pirate's Curse easily being a highlight of the series. The first game definitely has a bit of rust to it, though. That much is clear.

G1ng3rGar1

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-7732-8500-1233
*Is totally lost* Anyone hoping for a Splatfest announcement tomorrow?
Also, can anyone tell me what the weapons the Octolings have in that picture are based off of? I know the top right one is a pen, but that's it. :P

warghoul

Inkling Cadet
Also, can anyone tell me what the weapons the Octolings have in that picture are based off of? I know the top right one is a pen, but that's it. :p
I think Japan just has a new Splatfest announced so we may be getting one soon.

Not sure about the weapons myself. Just think the artist drew what they though looked cool. *shrugs*

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
Not sure about the weapons myself. Just think the artist drew what they though looked cool. *shrugs*
I'm especially into Orange's perfume (pump?) bottle and Purple's fan blower. Those look like weapons that could see the light of day!

As for the Octolings themselves, what do you suppose the ones who want to subvert DJ Octavio listen to? After all, they must be getting sick of listening to techno and dubstep all day, every day. I'm thinking they have some underground garage/indie rock bands acting as a sort of resistance movement while they try to seek peace with the Inklings.

aqua46

Inkling Cadet
holy carp. i wish i could respond to everything that's been posted here, but it's way too far off topic. been away too long.

I'm especially into Orange's perfume (pump?) bottle and Purple's fan blower. Those look like weapons that could see the light of day!
i think purple is a sponge buffer, like those car sponges they use. but i'm just guessing.

Meh, the Shantae games feel pretty mediocre to me. I couldn't even get into the first one for the GBC due to how hard it was and I was afraid the sequels will be just like it. I seriously doubt the character will make it in because I don't think her series is quite as popular as say, Mario or Zelda. She's just as unknown as Klonoa.
shantae and pirate's curse is definitely easier and better. half genie hero looks just as promising.

as for octos, i'm so glad everyone has lasted +1000 posts of nothing but hype peaks and troughs. hopefully we do get more splatoon and smash rooster news before too long. but man, what a wild ride so far.

CM2

Inkling Cadet
NNID
chenmaster2
holy carp. i wish i could respond to everything that's been posted here, but it's way too far off topic. been away too long.

i think purple is a sponge buffer, like those car sponges they use. but i'm just guessing.

shantae and pirate's curse is definitely easier and better. half genie hero looks just as promising.

as for octos, i'm so glad everyone has lasted +1000 posts of nothing but hype peaks and troughs. hopefully we do get more splatoon and smash rooster news before too long. but man, what a wild ride so far.
Hey I don't mind might as well keep the hype train going while it lasts! :D

I wonder if they'll change the eyes of the octolings if and when they do become playable?

aqua46

Inkling Cadet
Hey I don't mind might as well keep the hype train going while it lasts! :D

I wonder if they'll change the eyes of the octolings if and when they do become playable?
i really hope not. that mascara is noww their calling card now. i love it more than the mask. but has anyone else noticed the plaza mascots match this scheme?

the fox has mascara marks like the octos, and the racoon has a mask (obviously), like the inks. coincidence? lol.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
Also, can anyone tell me what the weapons the Octolings have in that picture are based off of? I know the top right one is a pen, but that's it. :p
From what I can see, besides the fountain pen on the upper-right: Upper-left looks vaguely like one of those bug spray pumps, lower-left is a floor buffer, and lower-right is a sword.

I'm not sure what new gameplay mechanics such inking devices can create (except the aforementioned really thin line with the pen). The sword's purpose is already fulfilled with the Inkbrushes. The buffer could theoretically be like a roller, only it flings paint in every direction constantly.

As for the Octolings themselves, what do you suppose the ones who want to subvert DJ Octavio listen to? After all, they must be getting sick of listening to techno and dubstep all day, every day. I'm thinking they have some underground garage/indie rock bands acting as a sort of resistance movement while they try to seek peace with the Inklings.
If they can steal Zapfish, I'm sure they can steal CDs of Inkling music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom