Octoling Hype Thread (prev. Assets in SplatNet)

CM2

Inkling Cadet
NNID
chenmaster2

They said this map is coming soon on their Facebook page. Can't wait. :3

Anyways I wonder if they were going to add Octolings, can they be used in multiplayer? If so are they going to be in a squad of their own or get mixed in with the inklings?

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
Anyways I wonder if they were going to add Octolings, can they be used in multiplayer? If so are they going to be in a squad of their own or get mixed in with the inklings?
I am pretty sure they will be player-controlled.
Otherwise, the losing-animation that has been added for them, wouldn't make any sense.
Since we would never see it, unless we control them ourselves and lose.

And as for squad: I still hope they will be free-choice.
Aka being able to play as an Octoling, whenever you want.
So yeah, which would mean mixing them up with Inklings.

Then again, anything is possible.
But I really hope they will NOT be limited to a single mode or squad.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
While I'd certainly be fine with just having the Octolings useable as a sort of "alt skin" for online battles, I had actually thought about what a potential Inklings-vs-Octolings mode would be like some time ago. I don't remember all the details regarding it (as I deemed it not-fully-thought-out), but the gist of it is as follows:

• The mode would have its own separate playlist alongside Turf Wars & Ranked Battles.
  • The teams would be 4 Inklings vs. 4 Octolings. Matchmaking works similarly to the other modes (ie 8 players per match, teams "randomly" assigned), but which species you play as is determined by both the matchmaking process itself and what species you are currently. If there's an uneven amount of Inklings and Octolings, someone on the side with greater species representation will temporarily become a member of the lesser species for the match.
    • As an example, if I pick the mode when my character is currently an Octoling, I'll be matched up with 3 other Octolings for the next match. However, if there's only 3 Octolings in the lobby (thyself included), one of the Inkling players is going to be an Octoling for that match. Likewise, if there's only 2 Inklings, two of the Octolings are gonna have to play as an Inkling.
  • The main game type would be a sort of object-defense game where the Inklings are guarding something (some Zapfish, maybe), and the Octolings are there to steal it/them. The game ends when either the Octolings steal everything, or the time runs out (in which case whichever side has the most Zapfish wins).

Like I said, I didn't think it through (particularly in regard to the game mode itself, for gameplay reasons), but I guess it's a start.

(Do note that I'm not trying to imply that I want the Octolings just for one mode only. I'd be equally down for having them available in all modes.)

Flipz

Senior Squid
NNID
FlipzMCL
Anyone else have any Octocanons?
My headcanon is that, with Octavio imprisoned, the remaining Octarians have likely fractured into a number of smaller sub-groups, each seeking survival in their own ways. Some will still try to follow the path of war paved by Octavio and his ilk, while others will try a friendlier, more diplomatic approach.

...then again, that's just my personal headcanon, there is exacly zero lore at this point to support it. :P It would, however, provide Nintendo an easy way to let Octolings be playable while the existing single-player mode still exists--your playable Octoling wants peace with the Inklings, while the enemy Octolings don't.

On the subject of "are the Inklings actually the bad guys", I believe that in real life squid are very much more aggressive and predatory than octopi, though I may be mistaken; it's been a while since I've seen any documentaries on Discovery Channel. :P Either way, make of it what you will.

warghoul

Inkling Cadet
My 'view' is the Octoling society is matriarchal. Most of the males were lost as fodder during the last war. Octavio was more of a puppet leader for the extremist of the Octolings. Like Flipz said now we have smaller sub-groups and if we do get Octolings it will be the ones opposed to the war and are trying to extend the tentacle with a olive branch. Sounds a lot better in my head now that I read it..

Heroine of Squids

Inkling Cadet
NNID
bellpendant
On the subject of "are the Inklings actually the bad guys", I believe that in real life squid are very much more aggressive and predatory than octopi, though I may be mistaken; it's been a while since I've seen any documentaries on Discovery Channel. :p Either way, make of it what you will.
If this is true, does that mean Splatoon's another case of the tropes 'Designated Hero' & 'Protagonist Centered Morality?'

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
Apparently they did. I checked the JP twitter and they said they'd have it the 18th at 11 AM their time.

G1ng3rGar1

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-7732-8500-1233
This smells fishy...
Apparently they did. I checked the JP twitter and they said they'd have it the 18th at 11 AM their time.
…Okay? I still want my Splatfest. Maybe an Inkling v Octoling one.
Maybe they're releasing the weapons earlier for more time to work on our Octos? (yay wild speculation)

Heroine of Squids

Inkling Cadet
NNID
bellpendant
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CUABE0BU8AEIADI.jpg

Okay Nintendo there is definitely something fishy going on around here. Did you decide to move Tuesday as the day to release your new weapons here in North America?
I keep wondering why they're moving new weapon releases on Tuesdays now. Are they planning a big update this Friday or is it just to make room for Mahi-Mahi Resort? God, they're such a tease.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
I keep wondering why they're moving new weapon releases on Tuesdays now. Are they planning a big update this Friday or is it just to make room for Mahi-Mahi Resort? God, they're such a tease.
https://www.facebook.com/SplatoonEN/

Resort is being teased as "soon". I would expect it this Friday since they're following the release schedule from last week. But, this early?

G1ng3rGar1

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-7732-8500-1233
Does anyone think that octo Shoes will be added? Cause there is the Octoglasses and the Jacket, so why not some shoes?
I would be slightly surprised if they didn't do that(besides the Octoling Boots) to keep the party going. I mean, they already have an Octoshot(that I'm still like 11 levels away from) and the gear that you mentioned. …I wonder what that would look like.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
Willing to bet the latter. I mean, they just announced it last week, it is very likely to come out this weekend. The only times they ever release weapons ahead of time are when there are updates, or we get something else on Friday. Since we're getting the Bamboozler tonight, I'm willing to bet we get the map Friday.

G1ng3rGar1

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-7732-8500-1233
Willing to bet the latter. I mean, they just announced it last week, it is very likely to come out this weekend. The only times they ever release weapons ahead of time are when there are updates, or we get something else on Friday. Since we're getting the Bamboozler tonight, I'm willing to bet we get the map Friday.
I can't wait for Mahi Mahi Resort and my terrible Ink-kor skills to drop me in the water almost every single time.
If they do this again next week…any speculations?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom