Octoling Hype Thread (prev. Assets in SplatNet)

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
Not exactly. Bear in mind that game developers are busy people and will always cut corners on things the player won't see when they can. As I said before, Octolings are copies of female Inkling models and animation skeletons with different hair. This means that the devs also copied all the animations female Inklings have. Octolings run, jump, shoot, swim, etc. just like Inklings. Octolings probably have win/lose animations in their data table, but we don't ever see those in story mode because the trigger for those animations (winning or losing an online multiplayer match) are never activated in story mode. You will also notice Inklings lack those same animations in story mode. That's because the conditions that the game code sets for triggering those animations are never met in single player.

They have all the same animations as Inklings because, from a game development perspective, they are Inklings with a different head. The devs just copied the animations/values/game assets from the Inkling data table into the Octoling data table and set it where Octolings could only use their unique shooters. That takes far less time than inputting each animation individually, or copying the full data table and individually deleting all the animations they don't need. It is also a lot easier on a person's eyes and mental health.
However, they added proper mouth-animations for the Octolings losing animation in one update.
When before the update, their mouth wouldn't show up during their losing animations.

Such has been confirmed by dataminers already.
There is no talking that away.

redacteddd

Banned (6 points)
Which is why I'm asking about it. I don't have the luxury of time to go through her whole twitter and I haven't found any articles explaining it beyond "ZOMG PLAYABLE OCTOLINGS." I've looked to see if there was any information on what the PRID values actual are, but haven't had any luck. I'm honestly interested, as I love learning how games work. Can you explain what exactly she's done?
This information was out so long ago you'd have to dig really deep into her feed, and I'm not someone who knows the nitty gritty.

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
However, they added proper mouth-animations for the Octolings losing animation in one update.
When before the update, their mouth wouldn't show up during their losing animations.
Do you have a source that says Nintendo added it? I've found a lot of people saying data miners found this was added in August, but not an actual source for that. After looking through NW's pastebin, I don't see any mention of that either. If you can show me where the data miners say they found it in the update as opposed to finding it in the data files, that'd be awesome and a pretty good indicator that Nintendo is planning to use them for something in multiplayer. Otherwise, as stated before: Octolings and Inklings have the same animations. It's not a stretch to say they'd have the same mouth animations as well. It might have been buried or not programmed to activate if the devs didn't plan on using Octolings in multiplayer.

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
This is old news by now.
However, here is a Tumblr post from one of the dataminers.
http://drlilrobot.tumblr.com/post/125979779643/they-added-more-faces-to-the-octoling-to-match-up

Unfortunately, NWPlayer no longer has her old streaming videos up on Twitch.
Otherwise, you could compare these older videos, with the one I posted earlier this evening.
They would show the difference clear as day.

Too bad @NWPlayer123 doesn't seem to be active around here anymore.
She could clearly testify to this.

G1ng3rGar1

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-7732-8500-1233
Do you have a source that says Nintendo added it? I've found a lot of people saying data miners found this was added in August, but not an actual source for that. After looking through NW's pastebin, I don't see any mention of that either. If you can show me where the data miners say they found it in the update as opposed to finding it in the data files, that'd be awesome and a pretty good indicator that Nintendo is planning to use them for something in multiplayer. Otherwise, as stated before: Octolings and Inklings have the same animations. It's not a stretch to say they'd have the same mouth animations as well. It might have been buried or not programmed to activate if the devs didn't plan on using Octolings in multiplayer.
What's the difference? And wouldn't Octolings have different mouths? Not sure if Octopi have the same mouths as squids do
@Paragon-Yoshi Dude, Nikki was interviewed not too long ago on here. :P

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
I stand corrected. There's more hope for playable Octolings than I thought. It's not proof positive, but I don't know why they'd bother updating such a minor detail unless it was incidental. But that raises the question of why they'd update mouth animations but not the headgear rigging.

What's the difference? And wouldn't Octolings have different mouths? Not sure if Octopi have the same mouths as squids do
They both have beaks, and I can't tell any real difference between them. As for the in-game models, the Octoling models that were ripped from the game and uploaded for SFM have the same mouths as Inklings afaik. Those assets were pulled straight from the game files, so they should be accurate to what's in-game.

Flipz

Senior Squid
NNID
FlipzMCL
Er...I'm pretty sure Octolings are not just female Inklings with different hair. Aside from the oft-mentioned eyes, ears, and hair, I believe the Octolings are also curvier than Inklings, at least when comparing Inklings wearing the Octoling armor to Octoling enemies wearing it. Not sure if that's implemented in the playable model, tho.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
What the hell happened here while I was gone?

The decision to make Octolings were likely decided close or after launch. There's only been about five months of work done on them and we've seen the progress due to dataminers. Any other major changes to them, IE Gear correctly showing up will spoil the surprise and Ninty doesn't like that. Also, some fun facts.

1. The Single Player Octoling you fight is a different model at this point. The one you play as is higher poly and is still being updated, and it didn't exist during launch.
2. The new model I mentioned model is rigged differently than the Inklings for animations.
3. The Octoling is more than just a Inkling with a different head, They have a bigger bust among different model differences. It's better to view it as Princess Daisy to Princess Peach. Same base model, enough differences to call them unique.
4. Game recognizes the Octoling separate from the Inklings and Ninty put in a (likely) DLC lock to remove them from online. You try to enter the tower with the Octoling (the correct ID not OctoHax) and you'll be changed into a Inkling before you even enter a room, it also works to remove Octolings from the plaza.

G1ng3rGar1

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-7732-8500-1233
The decision to make Octolings were likely decided close or after launch. There's only been about five months of work done on them and we've seen the progress due to dataminers. Any other major changes to them, IE Gear correctly showing up will spoil the surprise and Ninty doesn't like that. Also, some fun facts.

1. The Single Player Octoling you fight is a different model at this point. The one you play as is higher poly and is still being updated, and it didn't exist during launch.
2. The new model I mentioned model is rigged differently than the Inklings for animations.
3. The Octoling is more than just a Inkling with a different head, They have a bigger bust among different model differences. It's better to view it as Princess Daisy to Princess Peach. Same base model, enough differences to call them unique.
4. Game recognizes the Octoling separate from the Inklings and Ninty put in a (likely) DLC lock to remove them from online. You try to enter the tower with the Octoling (the correct ID not OctoHax) and you'll be changed into a Inkling before you even enter a room, it also works to remove Octolings from the plaza.
Noire saves the day! :D But I bet there will still be arguments to this.
…And that's all I got!(Also, I just kept on restarting my save file on Dream Team for a measly 10 coins :\ and then the Massif Bros. gave me the ! block to call them back .-.)
EDIT: Hey, anyone predicting any important announcements this week? And who would go insta Octoling when they come out?

Last edited:
Switch Friend Code
SW-7067-7083-1429
It would seem my posts rustled some jimmies. In my defense, between working full time and going through grad school full time, I don't get the chance to follow the game's development as closely as others.
MY JIMMIES HAVE BEEN RUSTLED

lol, but seriously, don't worry about it. We're not mad or anything (at least I'm not). You actually made some fair points I hadn't thought about before. Sometimes its nice to have a little change of pace from "OMG YOU GUYZ OCTOLINGS ARE COMING BUT WE STILL HAVE NO IDEA WHEN, AAAAAAHHHHHH"

G1ng3rGar1

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-7732-8500-1233
MY JIMMIES HAVE BEEN RUSTLED

lol, but seriously, don't worry about it. We're not mad or anything (at least I'm not). You actually made some fair points I hadn't thought about before. Sometimes its nice to have a little change of pace from "OMG YOU GUYZ OCTOLINGS ARE COMING BUT WE STILL HAVE NO IDEA WHEN, AAAAAAHHHHHH"
This is true. I just like to be optimistic :)
We should have an Octoling debate team.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom