• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Octoling Hype Thread (prev. Assets in SplatNet)

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
Let's not get side-tracked here, with personal conflicts.
They have no place here.

What I want you to consider, is this post from before:
Did I call you out, specifically?

What I mean is, if you think Octo's are scrapped. All fine.
But people fall over the ones who believe they will come, and downtalk them, saying it's a fact that they DO NOT come!
Even with all the clues and evidence pointing to the contrary.

Thing is, there are clues speaking for both.
But there is evidence speaking for playable Octolings.
Something that is constantly ignored by the Anti-Octo people.

And even after it was pointed out so many times, they still won't pay attention to it.
Under these circumstances, what am I supposed to think?

If someone just won't pay attention to this, or even say "it doesn't exist", then I can only see it as an attempt for the Anti-Octo people to see themselves as superior, downtalking the Pro-Octo people, seeing them as inferior.
All while ignoring, or even discrediting, anything that would put them at a disadvantage.
Aka, the evidence Nikki and her datamining pals have discovered.

Heroine of Squids

Inkling Cadet
NNID
bellpendant
And it continues.

Where did I attack you? The only time your name was ever brought up in the past few pages was me expressing I went too far in mocking you several pages ago, resulting in me apologizing. That isn't a personal attack by the way, just me being an *******.
Finding conflict where there is none, we want to do this again?
But did you really mean it? Did you really mean to apologize to me even after I told you to go **** yourself after saying Nintendo doesn't cater to me? God, I just want to beat you up after that. You along with a couple other people are the reason why I don't want to join forums anymore. I'm tired of having to deal with trolls like you. You ruined the fun I have left with forums and now I'm part of a chatroom that imho, isn't all that great to me. You troll me, I'll troll you back. How do you think of me now? I used to be nice, but I'm not gonna be anymore. My limit is up and I want my revenge.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
Let's not get side-tracked here, with personal conflicts.
They have no place here.

What I want you to consider, is this post from before:
Thing is, we do not ignore the models being updated, we have actually approached it multiple times, stating that models have been carried from previous versions of a game to the newer version. Pokemon, being the one I mentioned. Then it just became the same claim it has always been. "But then why was it updated?" There's no way either of us can answer that for sure, so it's pointless to try and go back and forth about it. Updating the models does not mean they will be for sure released in Splatoon. Yes, it can happen, but it's not proving anything. It's the fall back claim, and that's fine. We are not saying "Octolings aren't coming to Splatoon, no ifs ands or buts", we're just saying why they might not. We can be convinced otherwise, the way it's looking, the same can't be said for the opposite side. Which is fine, but we're not going to try and convince you otherwise if all that you're clinging to is faith.

But did you really mean it?
Sigh. . .
Yes, I did mean it. There was no sarcasm, there was no underlying message, I apologized.

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
Thing is, we do not ignore the models being updated, we have actually approached it multiple times, stating that models have been carried from previous versions of a game to the newer version. Pokemon, being the one I mentioned. Then it just became the same claim it has always been. "But then why was it updated?" There's no way either of us can answer that for sure, so it's pointless to try and go back and forth about it. Updating the models does not mean they will be for sure released in Splatoon. Yes, it can happen, but it's not proving anything. It's the fall back claim, and that's fine. We are not saying "Octolings aren't coming to Splatoon, no ifs ands or buts", we're just saying why they might not. We can be convinced otherwise, the way it's looking, the same can't be said for the opposite side. Which is fine, but we're not going to try and convince you otherwise if all that you're clinging to is faith.
Well, if that is the case, then it's all good.

But truth to be told, I can't see the "update model for next game" as viable. Nor do i think Pokemon is a good example.
First thing is: Let's face it, the Pokemon games are more or less the same games, using the same engine, just with new content. AND on the same console.
Splatoon 2, will be on the NX however, a different console. Or even a later console.

And 2. Why would they include the updates on the Octoling Model in an official update for public consoles?
if they are really not meant to appear in that game, then why updating it on people's consoles?

Your line of reasoning would make sense, if we were talking the private R&D computers at Nintendo HQ.
But we are talking updates on people's consoles, for something that is supposedly only set to appear in the sequel, that doesn't even use the same console.
Probably not even the same game engine.
That doesn't make a lot of sense in my eyes.

Demonic Labrys

Pro Squid
NNID
Omega_Snakey
Please, let's not suck the optimism and good stuff out of this thread because you want to fight and hold on to things I honestly forgot about until you brought it up again. You can discuss it with Of Moose & Men in a private conversation.
I agree
Can't we all just drop it and just move on please..?

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
Anyway, I'm glad I've joined OCTO at Discord to have some fun with Splatoon. If anyone wanted to know where I've been, it's there. Squid Boards has gotten so negative recently, and that negativity poured into this thread.
When you have a sufficiently popular message board where fans of one particular thing meet, there will be a lot of negativity. People with disagreeing opinions + high expectations and often mutually exclusive ones + an informal enforcement structure = RAGE.

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
First thing is: Let's face it, the Pokemon games are more or less the same games, using the same engine, just with new content.
Ultimately, that is all any game is. Devs reuse engines and assets like animations and models as much as they can. It's rather expensive and time intensive to do all of this stuff from scratch. It makes no logical or financial sense to start completely over if you can reuse old models and assets. I doubt the company would put up the money for that, and I'd be surprised if the dev team wanted to.

Why would they include the updates on the Octoling Model in an official update for public consoles?
if they are really not meant to appear in that game, then why updating it on people's consoles?
I've already addressed both of these questions, but I'll save you some backtracking. Inklings and Octolings use the same animations. If the devs updated shared animations (used by both Inklings and Octolings), that may give the impression that Octolings got updated animations. NWPlayer speculated that they got new victory mouth animations in the 2.0.0 update in August, but that is all the information on it I can find. She has not provided further explanation as of yet, nor has she responded to any of my questions in this thread. Because of this, I can't say what specifically she found or why she got that impression.

As for why they'd update these on the console, I suspect they didn't expect people to dig in the game code to find it. They probably figured it would stay buried in proprietary archive files that only certain SDKs could read. That's fairly common as well. Fallout 3/NV had "cut content" that was included in the final release. People could use the PC version's command console to give themselves the weapons. They had complete animations, models, textures, and SFX, but simply weren't set to appear in the game. Instead of taking the time and effort to remove them from the game files, the devs just didn't set the items to appear. It's possible the Splatoon devs did something very similar. Another rather infamous example was the GTA San Andreas "Hot Coffee" mod. It was a game feature the devs decided not to use. Instead of removing it, they just buried it.

But we are talking updates on people's consoles, for something that is supposedly only set to appear in the sequel, that doesn't even use the same console.
Probably not even the same game engine.
That doesn't make a lot of sense in my eyes.
I said it was a possibility, not a certainty. It's also possible they simply overlooked the Octoling mouth animations and decided to fix it. I can't say for sure. Porting the game engine and assets to a new console wouldn't be difficult. Even mediocre Fallout NV modders have been able to port FO3 mods to run in NV. If they get the groundwork laid, it would be cheaper and easier to port than build from scratch. Since the Octoling models were already pretty much finished, that may have been a final touch they wanted to add to make them complete. If that was the case, they'd literally just have to port the assets instead of messing with animations and face rigging while making playable Octolings in the sequel.

As for why...my best guess would be funding. If they still had some money left in the Splatoon budget, they may have spent it on updated Octoling assets so that they'd have more money in the sequel's budget to build male Octolings from scratch or convert male Inkling models into Male Octos.The less sequel dev time and money the spend on female Octolings, the more time they can spend on the males with the new budget. Just a guess.

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
If the Octolings have something separate from the Single Player models, wouldn't they be separate from the Inklings, too, or what?
I don't think so. Even if there were two different versions of the Octoling I would think the engine would use the same animation files. The only difference would be the PRID ("Player ID," AKA the number that the game engine assigned to Octolings). I haven't found corroborating information (just NWPlayer's tweets) that there are actually two different Octolings models, but that doesn't mean it isn't out there somewhere. Separate Octoling models for players wouldn't be necessary to play as one though. You'd only need a save editor to load Octoling assets instead of Inkling ones for the player character. You could also use a save editor to change the Octoling color palette to create Octoling splat teams.

It really is very impressive what NWPlayer and the other Octohackers have done. They've not only cracked proprietary archive files to decompress and modify the game files, they've created a save editor or home-made SDK to modify the game so it loads Octoling data for Inklings AND either added Inkling colors to the Octoling's palette or inserted their own so that they can have legit Octoling Splat Games. They've managed to do all of this while keeping the game stable enough to play smoothly (at least for the videos they've done). The only thing they still have to work out is the Octo-Kraken, but that's something that would require building a custom Kraken skeleton for the Octoling's Octopus form. Do-able, but likely a long time coming if it's just one person working on it and it would probably have some compatibility/stability issues if they inserted a 100% user-made content into the game.

Honestly, I think these guys deserve more credit. People are so focused on what the actual dev team is doing/might do/could do that they don't seem to appreciate what the modders have been able to accomplish.

CM2

Inkling Cadet
NNID
chenmaster2
So if it all goes according to plan the content updates should stop in four weeks.

Of course they might have a surprise for us so who knows what else they might have in store for us.

Pinko

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Pinkolol16
AND either added Inkling colors to the Octoling's palette or inserted their own so that they can have legit Octoling Splat Games.
both are wrong; the multiplayer model used in the model swap has the hair/tentacle changing feature exactly like Inklings. No colours were added into the thing so it would work, the 'hair' is coded to work, at least in the multi model.
The old model doesn't have this feature, the 1P one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom