Octoling Hype Thread (prev. Assets in SplatNet)

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
What @97Stephen said, basically. I'd say Roy is a better point of comparison, as there was discussion at the time that Nintendo wouldn't put Street Fighter music in the game without Capcom's approval, lest they risk an infringement lawsuit (or so I heard).

In Roy's case, the first evidence of his inclusion was the sound file included in first DLC patch. Looking through a few areas, there were mostly cries of "FAKE!", but amongst all that was speculation that it was scrapped data.

The comparison here would be, the updated Octoling stuff is Roy's sound file; where once there was nothing, there is now something. We can't really see what it is, though; we have only the word of the hacker/cracker (which better fits Nikki?) to go on. Of course, Roy's situation had a bit more weight to it, as it was there alongside Ryu's stuff.

Also, for the record: my main objection to the Mega Lati@s comparision is that, sure, they were made for XY & reused for ORAS, but were the models ever updated in XY proper? Was there ever a patch for those games that brought with it updated Mega models exclusive to those games?

...can I lie and say I left my suitcase on the train as an excuse to get back on one last time?

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
What @97Stephen said, basically. I'd say Roy is a better point of comparison, as there was discussion at the time that Nintendo wouldn't put Street Fighter music in the game without Capcom's approval, lest they risk an infringement lawsuit (or so I heard).

In Roy's case, the first evidence of his inclusion was the sound file included in first DLC patch. Looking through a few areas, there were mostly cries of "FAKE!", but amongst all that was speculation that it was scrapped data.

The comparison here would be, the updated Octoling stuff is Roy's sound file; where once there was nothing, there is now something. We can't really see what it is, though; we have only the word of the hacker/cracker (which better fits Nikki?) to go on. Of course, Roy's situation had a bit more weight to it, as it was there alongside Ryu's stuff.

Also, for the record: my main objection to the Mega Lati@s comparision is that, sure, they were made for XY & reused for ORAS, but were the models ever updated in XY proper? Was there ever a patch for those games that brought with it updated Mega models exclusive to those games?

...can I lie and say I left my suitcase on the train as an excuse to get back on one last time?
I am glad the leaked content for Octolings has been put back into focus.

While it is not "decisive evidence" so to say, it still speaks a clear language.
Especially with all the updates they received, it is hard to stamp this as mere "scrapped content"-

As for the "Inklings for CPU Octolings" CO-OP things that many people want to be real and argue this is what the Octoling-Models are for...
Well, again, Nintendo isn't Valve. They have no experience in the online shooter genre yet.
So don't expect them to do anything fancy in this area.
Splatoon was an experiment. And a very successful one at that.

Plus, the AI in this game is laughable. And it likes to act erracticly.
There have been many GIFs and Short Videos about this already, showing how stupid the AI can be.
But it fits the purpose of Single Player, which goal is to introduce you to the controls and get you ready for battles.
And the Octolings mirror the opponent-Inklings you face in Multiplayer.
So the bad AI fits the purpose of practice.
But in a serious competition, it would be fail... HARD!

That and the mouth-update for their losing-animation, I can hardly see being used for mere AI-opponents-
Since you never see the win or losing animations of your opponents, just for you and your teammates.

So with all that in mind, I'd say playable Octolings are still a high possibility at this point.

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
I am glad the leaked content for Octolings has been put back into focus.

While it is not "decisive evidence" so to say, it still speaks a clear language.
Especially with all the updates they received, it is hard to stamp this as mere "scrapped content"-

As for the "Inklings for CPU Octolings" CO-OP things that many people want to be real and argue this is what the Octoling-Models are for...
Well, again, Nintendo isn't Valve. They have no experience in the online shooter genre yet.
So don't expect them to do anything fancy in this area.
Splatoon was an experiment. And a very successful one at that.

Plus, the AI in this game is laughable. And it likes to act erracticly.
There have been many GIFs and Short Videos about this already, showing how stupid the AI can be.
But it fits the purpose of Single Player, which goal is to introduce you to the controls and get you ready for battles.
And the Octolings mirror the opponent-Inklings you face in Multiplayer.
So the bad AI fits the purpose of practice.
But in a serious competition, it would be fail... HARD!

That and the mouth-update for their losing-animation, I can hardly see being used for mere AI-opponents-
Since you never see the win or losing animations of your opponents, just for you and your teammates.

So with all that in mind, I'd say playable Octolings are still a high possibility at this point.
You realize nobody was correlating the Octoling models to that idea. The idea exists in its own plain of existence as just that, an idea.

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
You realize nobody was correlating the Octoling models to that idea. The idea exists in its own plain of existence as just that, an idea.
Oh yes. there were people like that.
People who argued Nintendo would be making a CO-OP with Octolings as CPU-controlled enemies, like the "Man vs Machine" mode from Team fortress 2.
Why Nintendo would go that far, instead of simply making them playable, is beyond me.
Some people...

But I guess these are the people, who just do not want Octolings to be playable, just to bully the people, who want them playable.
But yeah, I still think it would be a much better thing to just make Octolings playable, instead of making even more cannon fodder out of them, than they already are in Single Player.
They have suffered enough already. Have some dignity. :(

In any case...
@Flareth
The updates I know of:
- Animation fixes
- Added Player ID for Octoling
- Added proper Octo-Eyes

G1ng3rGar1

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-7732-8500-1233
1/5: Custom Hydra Splatling
1/8: Sloshing Machine Neo
1/12: Ancho-V Games
1/15: 3.0 Update

Don't ask why I believe this. I honestly have no idea. Just a feeling really, lol
I guess we'll see if it's right soon enough~
Hey, you were right about the Sloshing Machine Neo ;) It comes out tonight :) I have a feeling that we'll be getting Ancho-V Games(which someone suggested would be pronounced like anchovy games) next week along with a Splatfest(hopefully)

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Yeah, I get the feeling that a Splatfest is coming next week—ten Sea Snails says that Piranha Pit is included.
(EDIT: Well, we called one half of it!)

@Paragon-Yoshi

That's... not quite what I meant. Is there a video, or slideshow, or GIF, or anything that allows for a visual comparison of the original and changed Octoling models?

Also, that stuff about the Firefight knockoff mode... that belongs in that thread, not this one. Shall we take it there?

Last edited:

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
Why Nintendo would go that far, instead of simply making them playable, is beyond me.
It may have something to do with the fact that people would enjoy it and it would diversify game play options.

ut I guess these are the people, who just do not want Octolings to be playable, just to bully the people, who want them playable.
Just because someone disagrees doesn't mean they are conspiring against you. Personally, I will call out moo poo when I smell it. If I'm wrong, I'll admit it and you will be the first ones to hear it.

Added Player ID for Octoling
I don't have a problem with hype or wishful thinking, but I won't let deliberately misleading information go unchallenged. They didn't add a player ID. "Player ID" in game dev speak is a reference number for the game engine to identify the collections of assets that make up a character. For example, Alduin's Player ID in Skyrim is "32DB7." Every time Alduin appears in the game, the game engine has the computer access all the assets under the "32DB7" data table and uses that data to render and animate him on the screen. You can actually make Alduin your player character using console commands or other tools much like the Octohackers did with Octolings. Hackers found a way to set the Player ID for Octolings to load for the player character via Save Editor. The devs didn't "add" a player ID. NWPlayer found a way to use what was already in the game to load an Octoling as her player character. I don't care what anyone tells you, a "Player ID/PID/PRID" is not an indication that something will be playable or is meant to be playable. All characters, whether playable or NPCs are defined as "players" in the game engine and the SDKs used to edit game files. The whole "Octoling Player ID" thing isn't an argument for or against playable Octolings.

The more compelling indicators of playable Octolings would be:

1. Updated gear rigging.
2. Male Octoling models, or at least a placeholder in the game data for them
3. An update that added customizable skin and eye colors like Inklings have rather than an update simply adding eye textures that match the concept art.
4. An Octoling skeleton for the Kraken special ability. Right now, it has the Octopus model distorted to fit the squid-shaped Kraken skeleton designed for Inklings. That's because Octohackers are loading the Octopus model, but no Kraken skeleton exists for the Octolings, thus they had to jury rig the octopus model to fit on the Kraken skeleton.
5. Something from Nintendo suggesting that, despite their Japanese name pretty much saying there are all female (Octo-amazons), male Octolings exist somewhere.

Ask NWPlayer if she's found any of that.

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
Well, There's DJ Octavio.
He's not an Octoling though. You have Octarians, then you have Octolings. It's a shame no one wants playable Octarians. Then again, they aren't as visually appealing, which may have something to do with it. A playable DJ Octavio would be awesome. I'd love running around and beating people with leeks.

G1ng3rGar1

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-7732-8500-1233
He's not an Octoling though. You have Octarians, then you have Octolings. It's a shame no one wants playable Octarians. Then again, they aren't as visually appealing, which may have something to do with it. A playable DJ Octavio would be awesome. I'd love running around and beating people with leeks.
He's clearly in humanoid form in the Sunken Scroll. (And I thought they were Wasabi sticks)

G1ng3rGar1

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-7732-8500-1233
This assumes that Japanese people do not understand what an "amazon" is and that Octarians cannot change forms.
So it's either DJ Octavio isn't an Octoling and every Octoling is a girl, or DJ Octavio is a guy Octoling and they're called that to address most of the Octolings. And there originally wasn't going to be an Inkling Boy, so there could be just plain Octolings.

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
I don't have a problem with hype or wishful thinking, but I won't let deliberately misleading information go unchallenged. They didn't add a player ID. "Player ID" in game dev speak is a reference number for the game engine to identify the collections of assets that make up a character. For example, Alduin's Player ID in Skyrim is "32DB7." Every time Alduin appears in the game, the game engine has the computer access all the assets under the "32DB7" data table and uses that data to render and animate him on the screen. You can actually make Alduin your player character using console commands or other tools much like the Octohackers did with Octolings. Hackers found a way to set the Player ID for Octolings to load for the player character via Save Editor. The devs didn't "add" a player ID. NWPlayer found a way to use what was already in the game to load an Octoling as her player character. I don't care what anyone tells you, a "Player ID/PID/PRID" is not an indication that something will be playable or is meant to be playable. All characters, whether playable or NPCs are defined as "players" in the game engine and the SDKs used to edit game files. The whole "Octoling Player ID" thing isn't an argument for or against playable Octolings.
Honestly, dude. I suggest you fall silent, if you do not know what you are talking about.

Basicly, what was added with an update, was an ID for the Octoling as playable character.
The Player ID value's are as follows: 0 = female Inkling, 1 = Male Inkling, 2 = Octoling
Any other value causes the game to freeze. Because no other player-characters exist for any other value.

And yes, those are the only characters it works for.
There is no Player ID for Callie, Marie, Cuttlefish, or any other character on the game.
Apparently, Nintendo treats Player-Characters differently from NPCs.
And clearly, Nintendo games do not really work like other games, where you can load any model you want as your player-model.
Splatoon just doesn't work this way.
NPCs you cannot load as your playable character, since their data is completely different from the Player-Characters.
At least this is what I claim.

Now why would the Octoling, of all characters, be the only non-Inkling character with an ID as playable character.
And again, the model for this Octoling is different from the Single Player Octolings.
I remember @Pinko going over that.

Pair this with the updates the models have been receiving and you get something, that speaks not decisively, but still clearly.

I agree that it's not decisive. And Nintendo could've done way more, but for some reason didn''t.
Maybe they don't want no more leaks like with "Roy and Ryu" from Smash Bros?
I dunno.

But it also can't be denied that update work has been done with these Player-Octolings.
Something that you seem to like to ignore. No offense.

Yes, saying Octoling's will come for sure at this point, is premature.
(I didn't do it though)
But it's equally foolish to just outright dismiss or ignore, everything the dataminers have uncovered and the clear update-work that has been done.
It was little update-work, sure. But still update work nontheless.
And something that happened frequently, up until the update, Nikki and her colleagues, were last open and vocal about.
Until, for some unexplained reason, they decided to not leak any more, and keep everything a secret.
Maybe something happened behind the scenes? I can't say.
Not blaming them for that decision though.

Why does it have to be either one extreme or the other? Why is there no middle-ground?
Seriously, people.... <-<

And speaking of @NWPlayer123
Apparently, she got console banned, just now.

To quote a friend of mine:
sooo... some interesting things happened today...
nikki got console banned. right before the end of splatoon content. i wouldn't normally give this a second thought, but nintendo had months to ban her, and decided to do so just now?
suspicious ****
Judge for yourself.

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
And you ignore everything else I said, explaining why your reasoning was off. -_-

You keep comparing things like this to other games.
But Nintendo treats their games differently.

True there are games like Skyrim, where you can mod the game to use any model you want as your player-character.
But Splatoon doesn't work this way.
Even if you have gained the ability to mod the game, you just can't do it like that.
Basicly, Nikki and her colleagues tried multiple Player IDs, as explained above.
But only the value 0 to 2 worked. Any other value would freeze the game, because no player-data exists for these values.

And again, we are talking Player IDs done via save editing, not an actual Model-swap.
It was done, completely without hacking.

Although the Model Swapping is the only way left to use the Octo-Models, since Nintendo patched the Player ID issue, to instantly switch back to ID 0, if it is set to 2, because of that "Octo-Hacker" debacle.

And even that doesn't dismiss the update-work done on the Octo's.

redacteddd

Banned (6 points)
Why does it have to be either one extreme or the other? Why is there no middle-ground?
Seriously, people.... <-<
You seem to be on one of those extremes. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're the one who's very passionate about playable Octolings, so much so that you're willing to challenge people who stand on the middle ground.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom