• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Octolings In The Wild (This Is Bad)

It's not anticipated for this to be an incredibly widespread issue, but one or two Squidboards users have already encountered this problem, and we wanted to make sure to alert everyone.

A kernel exploit for the Wii U has now been made public for Wii U's on an older firmware version. The simple and relevant explanation of what this means is that it is now much easier for unscrupulous folks to modify their Splatoon save files.

The very negative side effect of this, is it means a person could potentially modify their save file to change their character ID from 0 or 1 (Inkling Boy and Inkling Girl respectively) to 2, which represents Octolings.

Playing as Octolings would be super cool! ...but only when the game is made for it to happen...

If you encounter a player that has done this, you need to make sure to stay in the lobby until they leave it, and then play one more match. This should ensure the game doesn't put their hacked Octoling character into your Inkopolis Plaza. The Plaza is not programmed to handle Octolings, and so if one is placed into it, your game will crash whenever it tries to load them. This includes the title screen, which means your save file is effectively 'soft-locked' and cannot be used until either Nintendo patches this issue, or your plaza is cleared by the beginning of a Splatfest.

It is possible to back up any of your Wii U save files to a flash drive, and we'd recommend doing so if you wish to be absolutely safe.

Warchamp7

Comments

Pretty sure one of the Sunken Scrolls says that there are no humanoid male Octolings, but I could be mistaken.
Really? Because in the Sunken Scrolls, you see DJ Octavius's humanoid form

Anyway, last I heard about this it was just one person, have there been sightings of more hackers?

EDIT: Apparently the whole thing is just a hoax, gah

Last edited:
Well, keep looking but my best friend claims he already found one.

He said his name starts with K then a bunch of random numbers after that. He never really did get a screenshot, but he said he was certain he came across one. Although I was surprised at this, my friend never lies and if he is he would laugh and joke about it

D
Really? Because in the Sunken Scrolls, you see DJ Octavius's humanoid form

Anyway, last I heard about this it was just one person, have there been sightings of more hackers?

EDIT: Apparently the whole thing is just a hoax, gah
Its not a hoax. Jesus ****ing christ

Thing is, we don't know either way. the other thread's just condensed into yelling, so i stopped commenting there, and unless something substantial happens, i'll be staying away from these threads. I see no reason op would lie about some random incident, but we've got nothing else to go on if we wanted to.

Again, i'll ask people to let Nintendo handle it. the original story gave sound advice; just back up your save. if anyone comes across something else ,document it in the thread, but otherwise, quit acting like either event was an outright malicious act.

Please. I just want octolings and inklings to touch tentacles, and get along during turf war, hopefully in the coming patches/updates.

Exactly, i'm waiting for a news post that says "It's fixed" or "It was a hoax" and all this mess is cleaned up.

And my need to be fustrated again to come back.

I had a thought about this, everyone was talking about it on miivers, so I thought I would share my thought there. I posted this: "What if the big N made up the hacker story so that everyone would hate NWPlayer?" Just a thought. I mean I don't think they did, but you never know. Apparently, this thought violated the code of conduct for miivers though so it got removed. Really Nintendo? Really?

I had a thought about this, everyone was talking about it on miivers, so I thought I would share my thought there. I posted this: "What if the big N made up the hacker story so that everyone would hate NWPlayer?" Just a thought. I mean I don't think they did, but you never know. Apparently, this thought violated the code of conduct for miivers though so it got removed. Really Nintendo? Really?
Nintendo hates Nikki, so it seems pretty likely that her username would be a banned word.

o.o... No, i can't believe it.

o.o... No, i can't believe it.
I can believe it. Think about it: Nintendo get's their fans to despise hackers, then Nintendo fixes the problem and everyone loves them! Since Nintendo are losing fans for many reasons, this could bring up their fan base, possible sales increase for many games [because people will think Nintendo will care and look after them] and make a portion of their fans hate hackers. It's a win-win-win situation for Nintendo!

Ok so let me get this straight... hackers causing people to lose save files (im summarizing) when your in the plaza with them after the match if you leave....
but no evidence...
I've played Splatoon for 3 days now and never had this issue at all
i still think this is false though..

Sorry to interrupt the serious chat guys, but the inkling plaza is hilarious right now. It's full of wanted posters, inkling propaganda, and many other drawings/comments that feel like these inklings are out for blood in the game narrative. As horrible as this is, I can't help but smile when the community gathers like this, At least a few positives came from peoples' data scrambling.
I see that too and it's sad for the Octolings getting hammered :(

I can believe it. Think about it: Nintendo get's their fans to despise hackers, then Nintendo fixes the problem and everyone loves them! Since Nintendo are losing fans for many reasons, this could bring up their fan base, possible sales increase for many games [because people will think Nintendo will care and look after them] and make a portion of their fans hate hackers. It's a win-win-win situation for Nintendo!
...don't we already have enough baseless accusations?

Lol. I'm not sure what you mean by "losing fans" considering Nintendo is making bank from the WiiU now.

And I honestly can't think of any video game company that would have ANY reason to like a hacker.... Like, at all. Unless there are in your pocket working for them in coding, that is.

Datamining is harmless fun for a player doing it, yes, but last time Nintendo had their big game hacked, it revealed a massive amount of Smash Brothers DLC literally a day before Sakurai's official vid on it hit. You could barely AVOID spoilers and Nintendo was understandably pissed that hacking ruined their surprise.

The next JP Splatfest is Squid verses Octopus, for goodness sake!

But what is both encouraging and fascinating is that every other Miiverse post was full of tips on how to avoid the glitch caused by the hack and warning of what to watch for. Atvthe very least, we can sit back knowing that despite the "hysteria," it came from us trying to help one another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom