• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Off the HOOK!

Which "Off the Hook" member do you prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
I honestly like them both at the moment. I am curious to see how they act in the real game, and I look forward to their banter. Marina immediately stood out for the obvious fact she's an Octoling. Which was super exciting since it boosts the probability of playable Octolings. And her personality which @OogieBoogie above described is really endearing and spot on. If I was forced to pick which one I like more, it would be Marina.

As for Pearl, I get why people are immediately less interested in her. She looks kinda odd, what with her teeth and big ol' forehead, but she's a good contrast for Marina, and her design is solid. I like the idea of an inkling that looks fairly different than most others too. And I suppose the contrarian and underdog supporter in me would like to defend her a bit, since she isn't getting much love from what I've seen.

swamphox

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DawGnar
Impressions:

marina: way way more likable on my end. maybe its just cuz i could imagine her doing a side project with outkast and goodie mob. must be the dirty south in me. Her eyes flesh out her charachter really well and make her look friendly and approachable.

pearl:I dont like her forehead, her browline looks to alternate between a V shape (angry, disapproving or just intense) or her brow look furrowed and thereby she looks like a moron (or at the very least a neaderthal). she reminds me more of flea from red hot chili peppers with hillary clinton's haircut and wearing a dress.... Between that and the pursed upper lip and any still shot I see of her from the video makes her look kind of hostile. I hope they try and rework some other facial expressions in there for her. I know they were to make her seem edgy but I think they didnt quite hit the mark with it

"yo hillz thanks for the stylz" and "the sweet cheer leader from southwest dekalb that really likes going to tomorrow world edm festival."

but when I think of them collectively they remind me of M.I.A. (the girl that does paper planes)

kinda surprised they dont have ykk on their zippers

musically its great all around and a nice evolution from the squid sisters - who were really cousins

also, I know its squiddish that they sing in but I hear very heavily english influenced squiddish

go to 0:30 in the song and see what I mean....something to the effect of "once upon a time, felt the rain on my neck, comin down on the chain on my neck" Im projecting of course but youll see what I mean

it seems pretty easily decipherable.

Id kind of like to know the process for making audible squiddish. does someone write portmanteau japanese/english gibberish and have someone sing it or is it scrambled digitally. if the latter is the case id bet this tune is way heavier on the english perhaps due to inkolpolis square being more similar to nyc.

their news show reminds me of late 90s trl, and oddly "off the hook" is the name of a radio show in NYC....

another 90s reference may be found in the vocal styles of wet floor (the "band" that does inkoming) - the vocals sound a whole lot (sylistically) like Damon Albarn, lead singer of Blur and gorillaz

Last edited:

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
I dig the group. At first, I didn't know what to think of them, but once I listened to them more, I began to accept the new duo. Personally, I dig their music more than the Squid Sisters, and they both have their own distinct looks, plus, Mariana is a freaking Octoling, so I want to know more of her story. Maybe this new duo has some sort of plot relevance to the single player campaign? Who knows? Just give us more music.

swamphox

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DawGnar
whoa!

watch marinas pants change color at :28....

glitch maybe?

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
I like them both. But personally speaking, after I thought about it. I actually like Pearl more, not for her design cause Marina probably has the better design, but she just seems like a more interesting character. She's the rapper of the group for one which is already winning points in my book.

Coleo&Idea

Inkling Cadet
Watching the video... did you notice that Marina as an Ocotling has only 2 teeth (while Inklings have 3) but Perla/Pearl also has only 2 teeth?
I'm calling it now: Perla/Pearl is half Octoling!
That's why she doesn't look like usual Inklings. And I'd love to see that she and Marina are half-siblings sharing an Octoling parent. That's my headcanon now <3

swamphox

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DawGnar
comparing Pearl to Hillary is probably the most insulting thing I've read today
And not the fact that I said she looked like Flea in drag or a neanderthal?

The forehead and browline absolutely ruin her

jookie

Inkster Jr.
NNID
j00kieizm
I adore Pearl. Pearl's haircut/facial design has got to be inspired from Yoshitomo Nara's works.

It seems to me at least that Pearl is possibly older than Marina because in the Japanese version of the dialogue Marina calls her "senpai." Considering Marina's personality type (from what little we've seen at least) I don't think she'd be sarcastically calling Pearl that either.
Pearl's name is Hime (princess) in the Japanese version as well, so that's why she's probably got a crown on. Her name is from a type of squid called himeika in Japanese as well. Marina is Iida in the Japanese version, pulling from the octopus called iidako in Japanese. I feel like the Western audience misses out on these really cool details cause they don't translate over well.

Last edited:

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
While I do prefer Marina, I really do like her bulldog partner as well. She has the potential to be my favorite among the two. I like idea of an unattractive and aggressive pop star. It's a nice change.

Achamo

Inkling Commander
NNID
KupoSuppi
I adore Pearl. Pearl's haircut/facial design has got to be inspired from Yoshitomo Nara's works.

It seems to me at least that Pearl is possibly older than Marina because in the Japanese version of the dialogue Marina calls her "senpai." Considering Marina's personality type (from what little we've seen at least) I don't think she'd be sarcastically calling Pearl that either.
Pearl's name is Hime (princess) in the Japanese version as well, so that's why she's probably got a crown on. Her name is from a type of squid called himeika in Japanese as well. Marina is Iida in the Japanese version, pulling from the octopus called iidako in Japanese. I feel like the Western audience misses out on these really cool details cause they don't translate over well.
This piqued my interest and so I looked further into it myself. I must say that I completely agree. The similarities are extremely accurate! We may eventually get some exclusive information regarding their designs in perhaps an official art book or such, and I wouldn't be surprised if it were actually true. And After finding out their Japanese names, I had a feeling they were based off a specific type of Squid, and Octopus! ♪

Sieses Detkrah

Inkling
I don't think that really means much in the grand scheme of things, unless there's some context to it that I'm missing.

My understanding is that while many anime and manga would lead a person to believe that senpai is a word used to refer to somebody who's older, that's only because most of those series take place in a high school setting. Senpai is just a word to describe somebody who is either your mentor or unofficially a higher rank than you are; a person in a higher grade in school than you or somebody who's been in whatever organization you are for longer.

Pearl could be only half as old as Marina, but if she's been in the music business for longer then it wouldn't be wrong for Marina to refer to her as senpai, especially if she was the one to show Marina the ropes.

That said, I don't disagree that Pearl might be older. I imagine they're roughly the same age one way or another.

Last edited:

OogieBoogie

Pro Squid
NNID
MrOogieBoogie
I know this is an odd detail to note, but I find it interesting that Pearls boots and top are zipped ALL the way up, while Marina has her top and boots half unzipped. Probably zero significance behind it, but while at first glance I would have called Pearl the outgoing firecracker...and more promiscuous of the two, given Marinas seemingly soft spoken and shy personality, I would almost argue my own point now based on how they dress........or it is really nothing and I am insane (which I already know =X)

Fullmental

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Pokeman92

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom