• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Off the HOOK!

Which "Off the Hook" member do you prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

swamphox

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DawGnar
While I do prefer Marina, I really do like her bulldog partner as well. She has the potential to be my favorite among the two. I like idea of an unattractive and aggressive pop star. It's a nice change.
On Facebook people are comparing her to the lead singer of Die Antwoord. They do look pretty similar so maybe that was part of the inspiration. I have always thought that Callie was possibly inspired by Katy Perry so it might make sense that they draw off of real life pop stars

Chaos_Knight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Cha0sKnight
Okay, I haven't actually heard what she sounds like or what her personality is because I'm avoiding spoilers, but Pearl strangely makes me think of this chick whenever I look at her..

RIP Eddy Gordo btw

jookie

Inkster Jr.
NNID
j00kieizm
My understanding is that while many anime and manga would lead a person to believe that senpai is a word used to refer to somebody who's older, that's only because most of those series take place in a high school setting. Senpai is just a word to describe somebody who is either your mentor or unofficially a higher rank than you are; a person in a higher grade in school than you or somebody who's been in whatever organization you are for longer.

Pearl could be only half as old as Marina, but if she's been in the music business for longer then it wouldn't be wrong for Marina to refer to her as senpai, especially if she was the one to show Marina the ropes.

That said, I don't disagree that Pearl might be older. I imagine they're roughly the same age one way or another.
I'm definitely forming my opinion with personal experience since I live/work in Japan but I've never seen someone refer to a person who was younger in age although their senior in workplace/club as senpai. Not seriously at least, the few times I heard it, it was dripping with sarcasm and spite. (O_O));; & I'm hoping Marina isn't like that. XD; I know it's not strictly an age-all-deciding term but I just haven't heard of it.
If anything I'm guessing Pearl is maybe a couple months older if not a year or so. Then again we never got official ages for the Squid Sisters.

GamemasterTom

Full Squid
NNID
GM-Tom
I like both of them, and i'm glad they don't feel like just "bootleg Squid Sisters", they are unique enough, and i'm a bit sad because in the splatoon Facebook group i'm in, a lot of people hate Pearl because of the design, to the point of being offensive to people who like her

I can only asume in the future they'll have live concerts as well?

Purrloin371

Inkling
I love their music, but I really loved how the Squid Sisters acted. They had a lot of charm that I haven't seen yet from Off the Hook.

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
I'm definitely forming my opinion with personal experience since I live/work in Japan but I've never seen someone refer to a person who was younger in age although their senior in workplace/club as senpai. Not seriously at least, the few times I heard it, it was dripping with sarcasm and spite. (O_O));; & I'm hoping Marina isn't like that. XD; I know it's not strictly an age-all-deciding term but I just haven't heard of it.
If anything I'm guessing Pearl is maybe a couple months older if not a year or so. Then again we never got official ages for the Squid Sisters.
I wouldn't be surprised if Marina was using it in a bit or an ironic way. She is characterized as being the "innocent, baby" kind of character while Pearl acts like the rough older, "teenage" kind of character.

Maave

Inkling Commander
I do like the visual designs but I don't like Pearl's attitude so far.

On Facebook people are comparing her to the lead singer of Die Antwoord.
that's exactly what I thought when I watched their intro.

mercenariez

Inkling Cadet
NNID
gamelo8018
I prefer Pearl, I'm in the minority I guess lol.

I like more outgoing and confident girls: Pearl is getting up in your face and rapping hardcore, while Marina seems too shy and reserved for my taste.

Not saying I don't like her at all though! Marina has a lovely sweet voice and look. So I love both, but the above is just if I had to choose between the two.

I also LOVE that they're making things a little more "diverse" if you know what I mean. There needs to be more of that in this generation.

I was kind of shocked at the harsh reaction to Pearl's character. I did not think it would be as harsh as it was.

I do think they should've made her look less like Brain from Pinky and the Brain though, like what is with that forehead size? Urgh

Coricus

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4794-7152-2904
Pearl's sharp expression left a bit of a negative impression at first, but between the amount of character she expresses and the sheer vitriol aimed in her direction triggering my more contrarian side I'm warming up pretty quick.

I was just playing some matches in the original Splatoon and I saw a player named #HatePearl. If some of these folks boil any harder we're gonna have to serve them on a dinner plate, LOL.

swamphox

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DawGnar
Watching the video... did you notice that Marina as an Ocotling has only 2 teeth (while Inklings have 3) but Perla/Pearl also has only 2 teeth?
I'm calling it now: Perla/Pearl is half Octoling!
That's why she doesn't look like usual Inklings. And I'd love to see that she and Marina are half-siblings sharing an Octoling parent. That's my headcanon now <3
I think shes probably a cuttlefish. They have a 2 "tooth" beak altho she isnt bug eyed like the captain....maybe thats just meant to show his age tho

After watching the video on something that wasnt a phone as well as the splatfest announcement pearl looks alot better. She still looks rather intense but at least i dont perceive her as hostile anymore

Achamo

Inkling Commander
NNID
KupoSuppi
I've been seeing very minimal speculation regarding the Off The Hook idols actually being 'Evil' or at least behind some sort of plan during the plot. This was most likely grabbed right out of the ominous looking expressions given from Pearl if anything. I have nothing to say much about that, but it does bring across interesting theories. It'd make an interesting twist as well I suppose.

....A tad cliche though.

Fluddinator

Pro Squid
Well, I guess I should give out my two cents about this situation...

First of all, I'm completely neutral with both girls. Same for the Squid Sisters, really.

It's interesting to see fans trying to justify Pearl's presence in this band, in every possible way... while forgetting the true reason why she wasn't received well in the first place: Pearl didn't grow up much... only her forehead, which I don't really notice as much. That's the whole reason why this situation even exists.

I understand that making a "diverse" team is actually very Balanced, since the team isn't really the worst in many aspects... it's a solid group! Unfortunately, this type of style has its own weaknesses... it doesn't really have any definitive role! People do wanted to see the team going more in the direction where Marina goes... not just because she looks cute or she is an Octoling, but because she also appears like an adult!

Splatoon 2 does have a lot of elements for kids, but many seasoned players are adults and wouldn't mind at all if this series grows up in at least certain aspects of it... and Marina did bring up the possibility that the new idols were finally appealing to the more adult audience! But then you have Pearl, which looks like that bratty sister who loves to tease you and be generally very childish and more in the way...

That must be the reason why Pearl is so hated! It's because people feel that she gets in the way for having a band who looks much more mature than what we had before with the Squid Sisters! Even her voice sounds very cutesy, which makes you wanna say "Aaaaawww, isn't she an adorable little girl?!".

The best solution for this would be to see Pearl acting much more like an adult would... but you see her having this "bratty" attitude even outside her performances with the gestures and you hear her rap-type dialogue, which feels like a little girl who hates to have some kind of good manners! Even during the Splatfest announcement, what she has nearby? Just a chair to sit on, like a little girl who watches a mature woman making all the music work.

Again, I don't hate her presence... it does give a very Balanced band, which is at least much better than having a totally kiddy band as the new idols! But it doesn't always work... and sometimes, you should get down a more definitive, precise role. Just like with certain weapon which are much better on certain maps, certain band formations should be more effective rather than following a style this much.

That said, we will see if Pearl will gain more popularity over time... after all, she fell straight in the "underdog" category judging by the whole audience reaction about it. Underdog-type of characters are known to have a huge fanbase behind them, after all... yeah, we will see.

ZEROrevive

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ZEROrevive
Switch Friend Code
SW-0412-8620-8627
I'm just going to slip these here...
"The theme of the eve of the evening is "rock vs pop."
Speaking of "rock", the metallic sound of the deafening electric guitar, the intense beat trembling the whole body, and the shout trembling the soul.
If you leave yourself up to the loud sound, you can unexpectedly shake your head and jump.
After all it is "rock" I wonder ... ...."
"No, "pop" is not defeated either.
Many people will be healed and encouraged by sweet melodies, harmonious harmony, lyrics stretching through their hearts.
By the way, Isida is a big fans of the Shio Collazes, and has been influenced to change life.
After all it seems "pop" ...."

Those new artworks....nice.

OmegaDivider

Squid Sisters Fanboy
NNID
OmegaDivider
I like em' both!

I kinda get the dislike for Pearl, though. I like her design, but almost every screenshot I've seen of her (which hasn't been many, to be fair) shows her with some sorta sour expression/mug. Perhaps people will warm up to her after the game is released.

Not that I care much, I'll be makin' as much art of them both as I can regardless lol

Coricus

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4794-7152-2904
Well, I guess I should give out my two cents about this situation...

First of all, I'm completely neutral with both girls. Same for the Squid Sisters, really.

It's interesting to see fans trying to justify Pearl's presence in this band, in every possible way... while forgetting the true reason why she wasn't received well in the first place: Pearl didn't grow up much... only her forehead, which I don't really notice as much. That's the whole reason why this situation even exists.

I understand that making a "diverse" team is actually very Balanced, since the team isn't really the worst in many aspects... it's a solid group! Unfortunately, this type of style has its own weaknesses... it doesn't really have any definitive role! People do wanted to see the team going more in the direction where Marina goes... not just because she looks cute or she is an Octoling, but because she also appears like an adult!

Splatoon 2 does have a lot of elements for kids, but many seasoned players are adults and wouldn't mind at all if this series grows up in at least certain aspects of it... and Marina did bring up the possibility that the new idols were finally appealing to the more adult audience! But then you have Pearl, which looks like that bratty sister who loves to tease you and be generally very childish and more in the way...

That must be the reason why Pearl is so hated! It's because people feel that she gets in the way for having a band who looks much more mature than what we had before with the Squid Sisters! Even her voice sounds very cutesy, which makes you wanna say "Aaaaawww, isn't she an adorable little girl?!".

The best solution for this would be to see Pearl acting much more like an adult would... but you see her having this "bratty" attitude even outside her performances with the gestures and you hear her rap-type dialogue, which feels like a little girl who hates to have some kind of good manners! Even during the Splatfest announcement, what she has nearby? Just a chair to sit on, like a little girl who watches a mature woman making all the music work.

Again, I don't hate her presence... it does give a very Balanced band, which is at least much better than having a totally kiddy band as the new idols! But it doesn't always work... and sometimes, you should get down a more definitive, precise role. Just like with certain weapon which are much better on certain maps, certain band formations should be more effective rather than following a style this much.

That said, we will see if Pearl will gain more popularity over time... after all, she fell straight in the "underdog" category judging by the whole audience reaction about it. Underdog-type of characters are known to have a huge fanbase behind them, after all... yeah, we will see.
. . .No, I'm pretty sure it's because she looks like she's going to try to kill someone. Which is also where she's getting quite a bit of a second wind from on top of the underdog thing.

There's an awful lot of fanart "correcting" Pearl to look cuter or comparing her to various other usually cartoon fictional characters for it to be that people felt like she was too kiddy. If people legitimately felt that "kiddy" was an issue then they'd be one of the many individuals making a wide circle around Splatoon as a whole and spamming social media for Nintendo to make "real" video games every time Splatoon is brought up. If they haven't been driven off by the mere concept of the series, a little girl news anchor isn't going to be a disappointment in and of itself now.

People sit on stupid chairs on daytime TV. It doesn't really scream "little kid" so much as "this is one of those really casual news shows." She's like Ellen chatting it up with her DJ. According to the Japanese dialog Pearl is the experienced one and Marina is the newbie, so if anything Pearl is running the show and Marina's scrambling to figure out what she's doing.

Incidentally, from what I've heard Pearl may actually be the favorite in Japan, so it may be more of a cultural thing than Pearl actually failing.

Maave

Inkling Commander
I'm much less opposed to Pearl after playing in the Square in the Splatfest demo. I really liked their Icrecream v Cake Splatfest intro.

Fluddinator

Pro Squid
. . .No, I'm pretty sure it's because she looks like she's going to try to kill someone. Which is also where she's getting quite a bit of a second wind from on top of the underdog thing.

There's an awful lot of fanart "correcting" Pearl to look cuter or comparing her to various other usually cartoon fictional characters for it to be that people felt like she was too kiddy. If people legitimately felt that "kiddy" was an issue then they'd be one of the many individuals making a wide circle around Splatoon as a whole and spamming social media for Nintendo to make "real" video games every time Splatoon is brought up. If they haven't been driven off by the mere concept of the series, a little girl news anchor isn't going to be a disappointment in and of itself now.

People sit on stupid chairs on daytime TV. It doesn't really scream "little kid" so much as "this is one of those really casual news shows." She's like Ellen chatting it up with her DJ. According to the Japanese dialog Pearl is the experienced one and Marina is the newbie, so if anything Pearl is running the show and Marina's scrambling to figure out what she's doing.

Incidentally, from what I've heard Pearl may actually be the favorite in Japan, so it may be more of a cultural thing than Pearl actually failing.
Well, I can see that... then again, there are people who shout out "kiddy!" from their first impressions (I'm not saying a lot or less of those people... just the fact that they exist).

At the end, the whole Pearl "hate" we see might be nothing more than an initial impression. Even though I mentioned the correction, I wouldn't change a thing about her, if there is a clear reason behind her personalit/appearance.

However, her singing voice doesn't give any sense of menace at all! It makes me wonder, if Pearl's expression was meant to be considered cute...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom