• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Off Topic Art thread!

ZEROrevive

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ZEROrevive
Switch Friend Code
SW-0412-8620-8627
A random idea for a head...no idea of the body type or anything else. I wanted to jot the idea down before I forgot.

MasterJr

Inkling
Here's something I've been working on recently, The protagonist from Persona 5. I've been pulling all-nighters with Persona 5 because I wanna finish it in time for Splatoon 2. DE7mn6aV0AEl7G1.jpg

ForteReborn

Inkling Commander
NNID
ForteReborn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5389-7346-0792
Posting Megaman Battle Network fanart...I am still scoping around, messing with different types of coloring. Still needing to coax not to bash myself, ugh.

fortetwittericonfinished.png fortetwitterbanner2017finished.png

I made these for my twitter upgrade. It's been decades since I did anything heavy towards it, and yes I am a big fan of Forte.EXE as implied.

ForteReborn

Inkling Commander
NNID
ForteReborn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5389-7346-0792

ForteReborn

Inkling Commander
NNID
ForteReborn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5389-7346-0792
Sorry, I've been horribly fatigued over the past few days and been extremely busy with other fandoms so in case you are wondering, I've been improving on clip paint studio. I am very proud of the coloring on this.

precacklettapromofinished.png

SquidKid85

Inkling Commander
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch Friend Code
SW-2518-9259-3787
OK, I think it's my turn to "show off" a bit, even though I know I'm not nearly the best out there. Art is just a side-hobby...I've done these things the last 2 years in different art classes I've had. Enjoy!

IMG_0515.JPG

IMG_0518.JPG

IMG_0517.JPG

IMG_0516.JPG

As a side note, these aren't in the order I made them in cause I forgot that order.

Last edited:

ForteReborn

Inkling Commander
NNID
ForteReborn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5389-7346-0792
OK, I think it's my turn to "show off" a bit...I've done these things the last 2 years in different art classes I've had. Enjoy!

As a side note, these aren't in the order I made them in cause I forgot that order.
You might want to start using form more than just 'copying' off art in general. It helps you understand the formality of how the character is shape in contrast. This also goes for how coloring tends to go with the shape, and contour of the object, as well.

I am not totally disregarding you should copy off other art in general to learn, but copying without understanding the structure renders it useless. I took many art classes, and some just teach more like one of those artbooks that have a generic title: How to draw animals, how to draw people, etc. It is just purely step by step gunk that makes you even more frustrated.

I give this link to everyone, but it lays the most important basics for any beginner out there, and I use it to even if I am clearly above that level: http://www.thedrawingwebsite.com/

It also helps to have several favorite artist under your belt, especially if you are considering what type of 'art' you do. For me, it is comics and animation. My work tends to spread from 80s, to 90s, and Japanese background.

You may also want to see an artist draw. Live streaming from their perspective, especially when using a PENCIL gives you an idea how they do their forms. Hand movement is extremely important as a stiff, rough, or poor holding of the pencil itself can really cause frustration in your work, also cramp your hand in the process.

The best too, however. Be LOOSE as possible. Don't rely too much on the eraser, it takes several tries and attempts to make the overall finish production perfect. You can start drawings with just a light blue pencil, and keep drawing with it till it looks correct, then use your darker pencil. Can be a regular lead, or a darker blue, whichever. You can then outline the finish product.

Sorry for my lengthy tip, I hope this helps if you do decide to strive for a much more harder road.

SquidKid85

Inkling Commander
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch Friend Code
SW-2518-9259-3787
You might want to start using form more than just 'copying' off art in general. It helps you understand the formality of how the character is shape in contrast. This also goes for how coloring tends to go with the shape, and contour of the object, as well.

I am not totally disregarding you should copy off other art in general to learn, but copying without understanding the structure renders it useless. I took many art classes, and some just teach more like one of those artbooks that have a generic title: How to draw animals, how to draw people, etc. It is just purely step by step gunk that makes you even more frustrated.

I give this link to everyone, but it lays the most important basics for any beginner out there, and I use it to even if I am clearly above that level: http://www.thedrawingwebsite.com/

It also helps to have several favorite artist under your belt, especially if you are considering what type of 'art' you do. For me, it is comics and animation. My work tends to spread from 80s, to 90s, and Japanese background.

You may also want to see an artist draw. Live streaming from their perspective, especially when using a PENCIL gives you an idea how they do their forms. Hand movement is extremely important as a stiff, rough, or poor holding of the pencil itself can really cause frustration in your work, also cramp your hand in the process.

The best too, however. Be LOOSE as possible. Don't rely too much on the eraser, it takes several tries and attempts to make the overall finish production perfect. You can start drawings with just a light blue pencil, and keep drawing with it till it looks correct, then use your darker pencil. Can be a regular lead, or a darker blue, whichever. You can then outline the finish product.

Sorry for my lengthy tip, I hope this helps if you do decide to strive for a much more harder road.
Well, actually, none of it is directly copied. It's all free hand from looking at a picture using various...techniques I guess? Like the giraffe, all I did for that was look at a picture of a giraffe and then attempted to draw what I saw. Everything else in that one is just background I decided to add. The Peanuts one was done using a grid, so that I guess is the most "copied" of them. The Smash Ball was just a circle tracer and ruler, while Fourside/Moonside was entirely free hand.

I get what you're saying though, most of it is inspired from other works. And I don't mind that. Art's just something I try to fit in here and there. And honestly, I mean, it's better than just printing out the thing I want to draw and hanging it up. I will check out that link though, because I do plan on doing completely original things over school breaks and such from free hand, and I appreciate the advice.

ForteReborn

Inkling Commander
NNID
ForteReborn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5389-7346-0792
My health is rapidly improving, but I feel it is a bit of a final stretch. (Which means I don't have to sleep on the floor anymore, as much as I enjoy it, oddly. Yeah, I have fever sweats, and I get sick of washing the sheets.)

I went back to work on a project called SYNC, it is probably my oldest idea that I have thrown some attention towards it. The basic premise of the story is that Bass has to recuse the stolen chip by another Bass, and is hurled into a giant world full of cross overs, cha. I hope my skills prove me some goodness.

DIZnc6HVAAAv0Lg.jpg DIZnfuKVAAARU_x.jpg DIZnj_kVAAAJMIW.jpg DIZnomFVoAA7934.jpg

This is just a thrown up sketch to give me some personal ideas, and I will do more since I am feeling WAY better.

ForteReborn

Inkling Commander
NNID
ForteReborn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5389-7346-0792

ForteReborn

Inkling Commander
NNID
ForteReborn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5389-7346-0792
HUGE EarthBound fan. Nice job on the Starman Deluxe (and MN9 character too)!
Thank you, I've been listening to the soundtrack and I forgot how long it was the last time I played the game. (Stupidly I could of gotten this game back in the 90s. It was in my local gaming store with the guide, and everything.) So it prompt me to draw Starman Deluxe for a reason, plus I love how gold reflects with it's surface.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom