• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Official "Term" Thread!

What should the theme for these terms be?

• Total voters

Flambo237

Inkster Jr.
Hey peeps, ya like smash terms like "wavedash," "L-cancel," and "dash dance," me too, I thought it'd be nice to have this thread for that exact purpose. As a community we can make terms like this for Splatoon and do it right this time, I'm looking at you ramen noodle. Please get that reference.

itisRag

friendly neighborhood rag
NNID
itisrag
I conscientiously object to this sort of thing. I find such terms and the practice of producing such terms rather pretentious. However, I also believe in free speech, so please carry on with this silliness. ;)

Flambo237

Inkster Jr.
I conscientiously object to this sort of thing. I find such terms and the practice of producing such terms rather pretentious. However, I also believe in free speech, so please carry on with this silliness. ;)
Yes, senpai

mininut4

Inkling Cadet
NNID
mininut4
itisrag, if you don't want the terms for the game, there is a "nothing" option you can vote for.

itisRag

friendly neighborhood rag
NNID
itisrag
> don't vote for sexual
> votes for sexual

I don't take orders from you.
View attachment 36
Agreed, if there are going to be geeky terms referring to things in Splatoon, at least make them raunchy so that they are easier to stomach than "wavedashing". I can't maintain composure whenever I see/hear that word because of how dweeby and pimply-faced it sounds. Splatoon deserves much better.

jp4464

Jazzy Inkling
NNID
jp4464
Agreed, if there are going to be geeky terms referring to things in Splatoon, at least make them raunchy so that they are easier to stomach than "wavedashing". I can't maintain composure whenever I see/hear that word because of how dweeby and pimply-faced it sounds. Splatoon deserves much better.
One of the terms I came up with was skinnydipping; that's when you turn into a squid on dry land, and slide along the surface. :cool:

mininut4

Inkling Cadet
NNID
mininut4
I have always had issue with the negative connotation that "campers" are given. maybe its my lack of experience with shooter games, but I feel like a skilled player would be able to get rid of a sniper. Plus, once you get rid of them once, they then have to make their way back to a vantage point through a battlefield with a weapon made for long range surrounded by people who are prepared for fighting on a battlefield. that's a pretty rough trip back just to set up again.

Oni

Full Squid
i dont get the hate for tech names. they kind of need some form of name. You cant call them by their full description because that just takes too long. I mean wavedashing always sounded stupid but l-cancelling is short and sweet and easy to learn what it means. press l to cancel lag.

although i see no reason not to make them funny :p

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
i dont get the hate for tech names. they kind of need some form of name. You cant call them by their full description because that just takes too long. I mean wavedashing always sounded stupid but l-cancelling is short and sweet and easy to learn what it means. press l to cancel lag.

although i see no reason not to make them funny :p
Exactly, thank you. :)

Agreed. Those terms in smash reek obnoxiousness.
It seems you really just don't like or understand the concept of the Smash competitivity. The names aren't obnoxious.. they are technical and all their names derive from something.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
So long as 'fragging' is replaced by 'splattered', then everything is fine.
It's probably always gonna be fragging, it's been that way for too long and in too many games to change. Also everyone says 'kill' instead of 'frag' now anyways.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Well, a problem I have with some advance techniques with smash bros is that they really don't explain what they do simple enough.

So whatever the name is, it should be easy enough for everyone to understand while being noticeable.

Flambo237

Inkster Jr.
Well, a problem I have with some advance techniques with smash bros is that they really don't explain what they do simple enough.

So whatever the name is, it should be easy enough for everyone to understand while being noticeable.
I agree however, they should be like "L-cancel" in my opinion, it is straight forward and I think it should be the path that we follow.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
That's why they call it that I thought it meant "lag-cancel" I use the Z button :).
I think it is more so to go with the shield button.

Also to make it similar to the tech in 64, which was Z-Cancel where you press the z button to have no landing lag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom