• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Official "Term" Thread!

What should the theme for these terms be?

• Total voters

Undr

Terminology makes understanding the game much easier. It's particularly useful when explaining an exact scenario to a friend, and it's useful when teaching intermediate players. Back during the infancy of Brawl the Pit boards were a mess. We starting coining terms such as Arrow Looping, Arrow Raining, Arrow Swarming, Wing Canceling, ARCing, Wing Renewal, Wing Dashing, ect... As you can see there were a lot of them and a lot of people saw it as a pointless practice. That said, my tutoring sessions and guides would've been incredibly difficult without this lexicon in place.

In short, I feel that creating a serious set of terminology to be crucial to the development of the competitive community. Keeping things simple such as, Snaking, Teching, L-Canceling, ect. is probably the best route for us to venture in.

Ryuho

Pro Squid
NNID
FurryRyuho
Puns for life. Every technique here needs a squid based pun. But they should be simple to tell what they mean at a glance for the most part.

Just A. Hunch

Inkster Jr.
Honestly, I don't know if it is viable to attempt to have a scheme to name techniques before any are even discovered. We don't even know what they are going to be!

I suspect that a lot of them will already be discovered by the developers and be named by them.

Everything else will more than likely be discovered and named by the more dedicated members of the community and thus more than likely those names will be respected.

Unless of course they name them something really stupid...

EnderGamma

Senior Squid
NNID
EnderGamma
I honestly don't know how to vote in this pole, as I find terminology is usually started by the discoverer of the technique or trick, and most of the time is just a play on the action used to achieve it.

skymi16

Inkling
NNID
sonicfan16
Well so far we have Splatter-Hopping and Squid-Teching Sounds good so far. What else do we have to name yet? i think we'd have to wait for the game to come out to discover more. BTW if you live in cali then do us a favor and find some new meta at the splatoon event over there. then we can get to naming,

Setnaro X

Full Squid
It's way too early to be coming up with any terms for Splatoon, especially since we haven't played the game yet so we don't know what to expect in terms of how it feels and what is possible at high level play. We could try and make up something now, but chances are, we're going to have a different mindset about the outcome of the game based on how we play it habitually. It's best we don't try to make something now, because all that will do is make us look like posers.

Flambo237

Inkster Jr.
It's way too early to be coming up with any terms for Splatoon, especially since we haven't played the game yet so we don't know what to expect in terms of how it feels and what is possible at high level play. We could try and make up something now, but chances are, we're going to have a different mindset about the outcome of the game based on how we play it habitually. It's best we don't try to make something now, because all that will do is make us look like posers.
just to be clear we are not coming up with names yet just how we will name them.

Siledh

Senior Squid
NNID
Siledhrel
Agreed, if there are going to be geeky terms referring to things in Splatoon, at least make them raunchy so that they are easier to stomach than "wavedashing". I can't maintain composure whenever I see/hear that word because of how dweeby and pimply-faced it sounds. Splatoon deserves much better.
Why make up weird sounding terms which don't reflect what the move or tech actually does? I'd just keep it simple, really.

Vortexmonkey

Inkling
NNID
Vortexhound
Well there is a technique i like to call Splat dashing. I did not find this technique but saw it happen on the treehouse in e3 2014. Its basically where you repeatedly go to squid form then back to human form as fast as possible, it makes you go as fast as you would in squid form but gives you the opprotunity to shoot at your opponent or just straight up avoid their attack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom