Patch 2.9.0

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
Will the Dynamo nerf effect its ink coverage per swing? It'd be interesting if they were less capable of single-handedly winning full-team paint wars in SZ.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
Will the Dynamo nerf effect its ink coverage per swing? It'd be interesting if they were less capable of single-handedly winning full-team paint wars in SZ.
Interesting question. The English patch notes don't allude to changes in the coverage, only to the "effective area" in a way that makes me think it's only the damage zones and not the coverage. That said the English patch notes don't seem to have been translated by someone' who's a master of translation....

inviso

Inkling
NNID
inviso87
LOL, yeah. I feel bad for dynamo mains getting hit AGAIN. I know it's not actually an easy weapon to use, and that most of its problem stems from how specially it interacts with the bad netcode. But the dynamos have been dominating the maps at the splatfests in a horrible unfun way ever since the Tempered came out and it was sucking the fun out of higher level play.
Is this actually a joke??? It can turf well, and? Dynamo does NOT dominate higher level play. Gals and Chargers do plenty of that and more. So why aren't they getting heavy nerfs like Dynamo? Don't be ridiculous. This nerf was so completely unnecessary and it's now abundantly clear the devs are biased against the Roller class. What we really needed was a nerf like this to Gals and Chargers, not the Dynamo who already suffered enough nerfs. This is now nerf #7 for the Dynamo...

Cuttlefish

...........Oops! I fell asleep!
NNID
tokkers
Is this actually a joke??? It can turf well, and? Dynamo does NOT dominate higher level play. Gals and Chargers do plenty of that and more. So why aren't they getting heavy nerfs like Dynamo? Don't be ridiculous. This nerf was so completely unnecessary and it's now abundantly clear the devs are biased against the Roller class. What we really needed was a nerf like this to Gals and Chargers, not the Dynamo who already suffered enough nerfs. This is now nerf #7 for the Dynamo...
the 92 gal was nerfed so badly its a complete joke to use anymore, and chargers have been nerfed a fair bit. the half-shot elitres do was nerfed I believe. you have to know what you're doing to dominate with a charger. if you're getting taken out so much, that's more of your fault.

inviso

Inkling
NNID
inviso87
the 92 gal was nerfed so badly its a complete joke to use anymore, and chargers have been nerfed a fair bit. the half-shot elitres do was nerfed I believe. you have to know what you're doing to dominate with a charger. if you're getting taken out so much, that's more of your fault.
Total Nerfs on Dynamo: 7 (Kill Zone 18% reduction, 1.33 secs to recover ink, Heavy Depletion, Swim Speed Reduction, Slower Ink Refill, Splash Damage Reduction, No OHKO on Low Ink)
Total Nerfs on E-Liter: 4 (Medium Depletion, Swim Speed Reduction, Range of Damage reduced from 120 to 100, Reduced Shot Range when not fully charged)

Total Buffs on Dynamo: 1 (RM Shield Damage Increase)
Total Buffs for E-liter: 1 (Decreased charge time by 6%)

I think there were some Chargers with Heavy Depletion, but even then....the above speaks for itself. Chargers have BARELY been nerfed and if they received nerfs as heavy as the Dynamo has had, then perhaps they'd be more balanced, but as it stands, they're not balanced in the slightest and the devs simply don't seem to care. E-Liter being one of the biggest criminals.

I've simply chosen E-Liter btw b/c it was the one I feel is most broken. Not all Chargers are completely broken, but you know what, if they can nerf all Rollers, they can nerf all Chargers too.

Dual

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
The Great Zapfish. It's really cozy here!
NNID
chaser1234
Total Nerfs on Dynamo: 7 (Kill Zone 18% reduction, 1.33 secs to recover ink, Heavy Depletion, Swim Speed Reduction, Slower Ink Refill, Splash Damage Reduction, No OHKO on Low Ink)
Total Nerfs on E-Liter: 4 (Medium Depletion, Swim Speed Reduction, Range of Damage reduced from 120 to 100, Reduced Shot Range when not fully charged)

I think there were some Chargers with Heavy Depletion, but even then....the above speaks for itself. Chargers have BARELY been nerfed and if they received nerfs as heavy as the Dynamo has had, then perhaps they'd be more balanced, but as it stands, they're not balanced in the slightest and the devs simply don't seem to care. E-Liter being one of the biggest criminals.

I've simply chosen E-Liter btw b/c it was the one I feel is most broken. Not all Chargers are completely broken, but you know what, if they can nerf all Rollers, they can nerf all Chargers too.
The only real charger that would be nerfed is the splat charger then. I mean, the squiffer and bamboozler are fine. The bamboozler is a mix of a gun and a sniper (don't say splatling), and the squiffer is weird and is barely used for good reason. However, I don't exactly know what part of the splat charger they would nerf. The e-liter is just bad now. You can still use it, but no where near as well as before.

Last edited:

Magnus0

Pro Squid
The H-3 probably should get a buff, but it's fine as it is as the Cherry.
Yeah, it really needs a buff. If the cherry becomes too strong they can slap a high special depletion on it, but I don't think that the cherry should discourage the devs to buff the H-3 as a whole.

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
On the subject of buffs - you know what I'd be interested in seeing? It'd be a really big shake-up in some cases, but comparable in form to the special depletion feature, so perhaps something we could see in 3.0: defence levels. That is to say, giving certain weapons a little natural Defence Up, perhaps comparable to a couple of gear Main slots of the ability.

This'd give the developers an extra way to balance weapons against each other without risking making some obsolete or over-powered (other than endangering those weapons which are near the bottom of their shots to splat category, such as Splattershots and Gals).

The idea occurred to me because I feel like a little extra bulk is something which weapons such as those mentioned (H-3 and SM) could really use to help them compete - that's evidenced by the fact that a Wall/Bubbler set, in itself dedicated to increasing the survivability of the H-3, was so significant for it.

Hikaru54

Pro Squid
NNID
Dillator
This will be the last patch... The new president of Nintendo stated that they will stop with the Wii U and focus on the 3DS. Rip all my sheldon pick dreams. Rip Ink mine buff. Rip Sloshing machine buff.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
Yeah, it really needs a buff. If the cherry becomes too strong they can slap a high special depletion on it, but I don't think that the cherry should discourage the devs to buff the H-3 as a whole.
The poor H3 really hasn't received a fair shake at all. there's still time, I'm certain they have to deliver at least one more patch. No weapon should be stuck as "a challenge weapon' without being truly viable. If Cherry broke the ability to make the main weapon work right on the other two variants, then I'm no friend to the Cherry. :(

@Cuttleshock that's actually a really good idea. IMO way more complex than they're going to introduce in a patch for a game they seem set on walking away from after a year on market, but it would be a really good idea!

@Hikaru54 I don't think Kimishima was specifically discussing the maintenance of existing games and services in that comment so much as addressing that there will be no unannounced retail WiiU games, no additional VC titles, and no marketing push on moving the remaining WiiU inventory. While it DOES appear that they're probably going to stop on Splatoon, I don't think Kimishima's quote is particularly linked to that and more than both being from the same corporate vision for the remainder of the fiscal year.

And chargers and gals. Sheesh, 96 hasn't been meta for months after the 2.7 patch, and the chargers, especially eliters were brutalized to the point that their entire playstyle was shifted and relegated to purely perch sniping. I and many other eliter mains had to switch to splat charger because they fully destroyed the primary play style of that weapon up to that point. I realize dynamos have been brutalized as bad, but ultimately I think the aim in both cases was primarily to remove the weapon's overall viability because it was too dominant in too many matches. A heavy handed removing of the weapon from the meta.

Cyan

Inkling Commander
I think the tower glitch fix isn't that you can't SJ to the tower if you jump to a teammate on the tower. I think the glitch was that before you could SJ to a teammate that was NEAR the tower, and magically when you landed the landing zone moved onto the tower because the teammate you jumped to moved to the tower, AFTER you hit jump. As long as they were actually ON the tower when you jumped to them you should still land on the tower. Conversely with the old bug if you jumped to someone while they were ON the tower and they got off to dodge a shot, you might find that you land OFF the tower even though you should have landed on it.

Then again the laggy tower often means that where you THINK the tower is isn't where it actually was anyway... (Thinking of the poor kid I sniped on the tower and his kill marker ended up on the right side wall of Moray...)

Also, bomb sniffer always showed ink mines. That was it's original purpose. The bug was that you might be able to see the mine without bomb sniffer :)
The Tower jumping glitch is to do with the Tower passing over a jump marker. When this happens the game (for reasons unknown), decides to move the jump marker to the Tower, but I don't see that getting fixed in the notes (unless I missed it). As for the Ink Mine thing, I suspect that was caused as an accidental by-product of buffing it to place it elsewhere without waiting for it to explode. Not a buff, but a fix of a bug that was caused in a software update.

EBJustin

Full Squid
NNID
EBJustin

E-Liters and other chargers take skill. You really need to practice your aim and predictions with it. A lot of the time, your mistakes might cost the team as you can't simply go in there and pressure the enemy; you need (and should) take them out from afar. If you're not hitting your shots consistently, not only are you going to have a very annoying time as a charger, but your team is unlikely to win as well unless they really know how to carry. The Dynamo doesn't take as much skill, which is why it has gotten more nerfs. Once in a good position, a Dynamo can single-handedly suppress the other team if they lack the range. Range is pretty much the counter to a Dynamo, but even a good Dynamo may be able to evade range with some sly moves. The hitbox and range on a Dynamo is pretty big. It doesn't really need this nerf, but it's not too big of a deal either. I feel for Dynamo users (I used to main it for a long time), but it's pretty simple to develop the basics for a Dynamo; mastering it is another story, but doing good with it doesn't take as much dedication as a charger. You need DEAD ACCURATE aim as a charger. You cannot turf well or pressure close range well. I don't know about you though, but I'm more cautious of chargers as a roller. Perhaps that's something you're doing wrong, but I cannot confirm. If you think chargers (namely the E-Liter) are too good, you have either faced the chargers who really know how to perform well with it (which can be done for any weapon you master, so it's not a sin for the E-Liter just because it's the E-Liter), have had a good game, or your movements are too predictable for the charger, even with a roller. Part of avoiding a charger is strafing and knowing where they will be. If you aren't aware of chargers, you're not going to have a good game.

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
From what i've seen from english patch notes, it think the first fix is not the moving super jump circle in tower control, but instead how sometimes the inkling itself slides before superjumping.

English Notes
It might be. I was trying to translate off the Japanese patch notes so I may have misunderstood something. ^.^ My Japanese still not tends to be the best always haha. x)

KnightMB

Senior Squid
NNID
KnightMB
I know it always showed ink mines, but all it did was show the shull and cross bones sign when got near it, but rven without the bomb sniffer I could still see it, there would just be no sign. I guess there fixing it to where you can't see it at all without bomb sniffer, which should help it a good amount.
I've seen this bug, basically the ink mine is visible so you just walk around it. It gets confusing because if both teams can lay mines, you aren't always certain who the mine belongs to. So you end up just walking past a team mate mine and nothing happens or you walk past and it blows up because it didn't belong to a team mate. I think fixing the bug will help figuring which is which. Bomb sniffer will become more useful. I've only seen ink mines used as up close tactics because of the visibility bug. Now it can be more stealth like to give it some usefulness and make the bomb sniffer actually useful.

Last edited:

KnightMB

Senior Squid
NNID
KnightMB
If you think chargers (namely the E-Liter) are too good, you have either faced the chargers who really know how to perform well with it (which can be done for any weapon you master, so it's not a sin for the E-Liter just because it's the E-Liter), have had a good game, or your movements are too predictable for the charger, even with a roller. Part of avoiding a charger is strafing and knowing where they will be. If you aren't aware of chargers, you're not going to have a good game.
I've seen some amazing E-Liter shooters and after getting splatted from afar by them, I learn to avoid them because they are that good and it is silly of me to think I'll just just run by and they won't notice. On the flip side, I have no problem with any Chargers/Snipers/etc. because I am often the one that goes after them. A sniper is about stealth and getting the kill-shot, but when you confront them directly, they have no choice but to retreat or fight close. I always have a weapon that has some kind of "throwing" bomb, even if I almost never use it, just for that reason. I've taken out many skilled snipers by just spamming bombs at them because it even ups the range and reflex gap. I always go for the most well rounded build I can, some extra throw distance for snipers, each damage, extra shield, quick respawn, etc. I'll even hide at a sniper spot to wait for them to come back and splat them again. I've always said that in Splatoon, every weapon has a counter, some are in game abilities, other are techniques, and others are just plain being crazy (like Dynamos, I can always out gun them with a charge and even if we both get splat, it's an even swap and keeps them out of the game for a moment) :-)

EBJustin

Full Squid
NNID
EBJustin
I've seen some amazing E-Liter shooters and after getting splatted from afar by them, I learn to avoid them because they are that good and it is silly of me to think I'll just just run by and they won't notice. On the flip side, I have no problem with any Chargers/Snipers/etc. because I am often the one that goes after them. A sniper is about stealth and getting the kill-shot, but when you confront them directly, they have no choice but to retreat or fight close. I always have a weapon that has some kind of "throwing" bomb, even if I almost never use it, just for that reason. I've taken out many skilled snipers by just spamming bombs at them because it even ups the range and reflex gap. I always go for the most well rounded build I can, some extra throw distance for snipers, each damage, extra shield, quick respawn, etc. I'll even hide at a sniper spot to wait for them to come back and splat them again. I've always said that in Splatoon, every weapon has a counter, some are in game abilities, other are techniques, and others are just plain being crazy (like Dynamos, I can always out gun them with a charge and even if we both get splat, it's an even swap and keeps them out of the game for a moment) :)
That's what I usually do as well. Unless I'm surprise-sniped by an E-Liter from afar, I will take them out with one of my other weapons, no matter the weapon. It's usually pretty successful when you pressure them up close and I love to do that. :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom