• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Splatoon 2 Player archetypes in Splatoon

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
From my time playing both Splatoon and Splatoon 2 I have ran into many different players throughout this game but in 1 way or another most fit into a general set of class types
I am going to go over a few of the ones I notice as well as ways people of these playstyles can improve.

Attacker: There is usually always 1 on a team, their main goal is take out key targets and to get as many splats as posible so their team can push in.
These players can be a lifesaver on a team or very well be the crutch depending on how long they are on alive and available to support their team.

If you are an aggresive player here are some tips for you to be an effective attacker.
- Be Aware, getting splats is important but be aware of how many of your allies are alive, sometimes it is better to defend than to push a key target
-Don't focus down 1 enemy, sometime players get in the habit of targeting one player due to getting splatted by them or them squidbagging.
NO if a player keep splatting you you are wasting your time by focusing them, it is best to take on someone else and catch them in the crossfire

-Don't overextend, have an objective is great and keeping the enemy boxed in better, but all it takes is 1 player in the wrong position for that all to change, don't be that player

Example weapons: Splattershot, ttek

Controller: These players job is to provide map coverage and make it easier for allies to move around the map, most time these players can help optimize positions or use their specials to force the enemy team to either regain control, or take another path

Here are some tips to help you controllers
-Slide of hand...everyone's attention on one side of the map, take control of the other side they will be forced to either chase you down or let you cover that area
-Flanking, usually as a controller you go the direct route but a flank through enemy turf will force them to move back and recover that area.
- For sprinklers place them in areas not used often or forgotten zones
- Keep with or ahead of your objective player, give them enough movement so they can protect the objective to the best of their ability or make be able to make a quick getaway
- Keep some distance from your attackers...drawing too much attention could risk a shark from being discovered
-Take the choke point, enough enemy players are down covering a choke poincan disable an enemy team

Example weapon: Splattershot jr, SSP

Carrier: These players are necessary for any game their job is to keep or move the objective. These players keep close to the objective and prioritize it over anything else.

Here are some tips for you objective players

-Never trickle in... this is a danger to you and your teammates as it can lead to furthering an enemy push.
- Keep an eye on the enemy position, player focusing objective at times miss where enemies are located resulting in them walking right into a sharking enemy or passing a obvious charger. So be aware of that.
-Protect your team, though not a supporter helping keep allies alive an in the game will help them to protect you.
- For rainmaker: be creative, even a small puddle of ink can springboard into a lot of movement options.
- Though not recommend... a heavy push can catch players off guard especially when not in the right position.

Support: though similar to a carry a support player focuses more so on their teammates than the objective, though they normal don't get many spalts they use subs and special to disable the enemy team and help the their teammates

Here are some tips for you supports out there
-Do not rush in to save every ally, it is easier to come back from a 3v4 than a 2v4
-Make use of callouts, it can help warn allies of incoming attacks or to make a safe superjump in.
- Don't forget objective, it is great to keep allies alive but if they are all pushing then it is best to be a carry than support
-Make sure your special is charged ahead of a confrontation, this can make it easier to help allies in a pinch

Defender: Imtidmidation is the name of the game for these weapons boast lots of range and job is to keep players away from the objective for as long as possible.
Here are some tips to help you reinforce your defenses
- Intimidation is your best weapon a good defender can simply use a charger sight to scare enemies back and save ink while at it.
- Live up to to your rep. If they see you missing shots they will have less fear of pushing in
- If you are getting focused play the puppetmaster, pull them as far from the objective as possible then super jump out

Tactican- Jack of all trade group, they can switch their play style throughout the course of a game to be of the most benefit to the team.
The really uniqueness of these players is they can convince allies and condition enemies into falling into traps.
Here are some tips to both become and be a good tactician
- Be adaptable, a tactician job is to analyze what a team needs and respond accordingly sticking to a rope others are doing doesn't always help
-Variety is key, specifically I recommend non meta weapon cause you have to be more creative to use them effectively
-Know the matchup, there are some fight you just can win, accept it, then lure the enemy into a trap or another ally
- Analyze your opponents, gear, movement and weapons say load about a player and their archtype
-Last but certainly not least recognize habitual movements, all players have habits based on how they play, recognizing these will help you to be unpredictable and a dangerous threat

Last edited:

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
Weapon class archeypes:
Shooters:
Splattershot

Attacker/Controller
Tetatek splattershot
Attack
Splattershot Jr.
Controller/ Support
Custom Splattershot Jr.
Controller/ Carrier
Jet squelcher
Defender/ Controller
Custom Jet squelcher
Defender
Splattershot Pro
Defender/ Controller
Forge Splattershot Pro
Defender/ Tactician
.52 gal

Attacker/ Support
.52 gal deco
Attacker/carrier
.96 gal
Support/Defender
.96 gal deco
Defender/ Carrier
L-3
Controller (lockdown), Carrier
L-3 D
Controller/ Attacker
H-3
Defender/Supporter
H-3 D
Support /Defender
Sploosho'matic
Attacker/Carrrier
Splasho'matic
Attacker/ Controller
Neo Splash o'matic
Attacker/ Controller/Carrier
N-zap '85
Carrier/Controller
N-zap '89
Carrier/ attacker/ Controller
Aerospray (gold)
Controller
Aerospray (silver)
Controller/ Carrier

Chargers:
Splat Charger

Defender
Firefin splat charger
Defender/ carry (support?)
Squiffer
Defender/ support
New Squiffer
Attacker/Carrier
Goo Tuber
Tactician/
defender
Eliter 4k
Defender/ support
Bamboozler
Attacker/ Tactician
Custom Eliter 4k

Defender/ Support
Custom Goo tuber
Attacker/ Tactician

Splatlings:
Heavy Splatling

Defender/ controller
Splatling Deco
Defender/ carrier
Mini Splatling
Attacker/ Controller
Zimi
Carrier/Controller
Hydra Splatling
Defender/ Carrier
Custom Hydra Splatling
Support/ Defender
Ballpoint Splatling
Attacker/Controller
Nautilis 47
Tactcian/
Support

Slosher(s):
Vanilla Slosher

Controller
Sloshing Machine
Carrier/ attacker
Tri-Slosher
Attacker/ support
Tri-Slosher Noveu
Attacker/Controller
Slosher Deco
Controller/ Defender
Neo Sloshing machine
Carrier/ Support
Explosher
Controller / Carrier/ Defender
Bloblobler
Controller

Duelies:
Splat Duelies

Attacker/ Controller
Emperry Duelies
Attacker
Dulie Squelcher
Controller/ tactician
Custom Dulies Squelcher

Controller/ Attacker
Dapple Duelies
Controller/ attacker
Dapple dulies Noveau
Controller/ Support
Glooga Dulies
Attacker/Defender(?)
Glooga Deco
Support/Carrier
Dark Tetra Duleis
Controller/ Carrier
Light Tetra Dulies
Controller/ Attacker

Rollers:
Splat Roller

Attacker/ Carrier
Dynamo Roller
Defender/ controller
Gold Dynamo
Defender/ Support
Flingza Roller
Tactician/ Controller
Carbon Roller
Controller/ Support
Carbon Roller Deco
Attacker
Krak-On Roller
Attacker/Support
Foil Flingza
Controller/ Attacker

Brella(s):
Splat Brella
(Tactician)
Carrier/ controller
Tenta brella
Carrier/ support
Tenta Sorella Brella
Controller (Lockdown)/ Support
Sorella Brella
Attacker/ Carrier
*Undercover brella
Controller/ Attacker(assassin)
Undercover Sorella Brella
Carrier/ Attacker (assassin)

B-Rush:
Inkbrush

Carrier/ Attacker/ Controller
Octobrush
Attacker/ Carrier
Octobrush Noveu
Support/ attacker/Controller
Inkbrush Noveau
Controller/ Carrier/ Support

Blaster(s)
Vanilla Blaster
Tactician/
Attacker
Rapid Blaster
Controller/ Defender
Rapid Deco
Defender/attacker
Custom Blaster
Attacker/ Carrier
Clash Blaster

Attacker/ Carrier
Clash Neo
Carrier/ Controller
Rapid Blaster Pro
Defender/ Tactician
Rapid Blaster Pro Deco

Support/Defender
Luna Blaster
Carrier/ Attacker
Luna Neo
Carrier/ Controller
Range Blaster
Defender/ Controller (lockdown)
Custom Range
Defender/Carrier

Squeezer:
Squeezer (aka. "squishy boi")
Tactician/
Support
Foil Squeezer
Controller/Tactician

Last edited:

EricksonGaming

Inkling
NNID
jaymz26
SORRY! this was accidnetally posted early, I will work on finishing it as soon as possible
This is great so far! Before you complete it, fix some grammatical errors. It will help the reader alot!

Vitezen

Inkling Cadet
These are very interesting. They seem more like psychological profiles than strategies. I think the first step people should take here is to identify what tendencies they have, then work on building their strengths and weaknesses in response to that.
I think a great example of this is players who snipe in rainmaker. Snipers will usually be taking a defensive role, but when the rainmaker is available to their team and it's time to push, they can't really do as much. Because of this, it's usually the charger player that'll be the one picking up the rainmaker and leading the push. This is a completely different mindset that they have to adapt because their previous role no longer works in that situation. And if they push with it, and get killed, they then have to revert to their previous defensive mindset now that they're holding a charger again.
I think these weapons are generally appropriate for their roles, but it should be kept in mind that all weapons can and will be expected to perform multiple roles throughout a match. Are there any that you might think aren't in the right spot?

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
These are very interesting. They seem more like psychological profiles than strategies. I think the first step people should take here is to identify what tendencies they have, then work on building their strengths and weaknesses in response to that.
I think a great example of this is players who snipe in rainmaker. Snipers will usually be taking a defensive role, but when the rainmaker is available to their team and it's time to push, they can't really do as much. Because of this, it's usually the charger player that'll be the one picking up the rainmaker and leading the push. This is a completely different mindset that they have to adapt because their previous role no longer works in that situation. And if they push with it, and get killed, they then have to revert to their previous defensive mindset now that they're holding a charger again.
I think these weapons are generally appropriate for their roles, but it should be kept in mind that all weapons can and will be expected to perform multiple roles throughout a match. Are there any that you might think aren't in the right spot?

I was mainly concerned with whether the dapple duelies would be considered a carry or a controller, I do kinda feel they can play both but haven't played them much in the other modes to know where they are best suited

Also I am not 100% certain a tuber can be considered a tactician weapon, I just know it was a weapon I use when I play tactical, but I was wondering if there would be a better weapon that would fit into that category.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
This is great so far! Before you complete it, fix some grammatical errors. It will help the reader alot!
*a lot

Loving this post so far. I can't wait to see how it pans out, and I'm hoping this encouragement will mean you'll bang it out quicker so we can argue this to death.

Vitezen

Inkling Cadet
@Saber For the dapple dualies I would lean towards the carry. I don't think they have the range necessary to control the map as easily as other weapons. I would also consider them to be attackers. The strongest argument there is in favor of them being controlling weapons is that they can hide their beakons somewhere for easy flanking after a death.
To me, tacticians seem to represent the spirit of adapting. They remind me of weapons like the jet squelcher, 96 gal, and the splattershot pro.These weapons function well at long range, but besides having a slower rate of fire, there's nothing stopping them from getting kills up close. The dualie squelchers also work here, but in reverse. For the goo tuber, I can't really say, since I don't have any experience playing with or against it. I would ask @Award if you're curious, since he would definitely know more than me, and possibly anyone else on this site.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Oh! It looks like you actually did finish!

One thing that doesn't run counter to this thread (and I believe you actually mention?) is how many of these weapons flex between roles. I'd be interested in what you see each weapon's primary and secondary archetype to be. I feel like the best description of a play style isn't the primary role alone but how it pairs with its main backup role.

Not trying to create more homework for yeah, but yeah, I'm actually trying to create more homework for you. I'm just interested in your thoughts on this!

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
Does the Tenta Brella Fall under Carry? Can weapons fall under two classes? What does SSP stand for?

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
I know I tend to skirt the line between defensive and support. Perhaps why my favorite weapons generally tend to be the longer ranged options. It's a role I'm comfortable in most of the time, but sometimes I feel like being an attacker. That's when the Krak-On comes into play. This topic gives me plenty to think about. Good stuff, Saber!

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
WOW I am amazed and want to thank you guys for the your support so far I will be making changes and answering question as time goes on

Oh! It looks like you actually did finish!

One thing that doesn't run counter to this thread (and I believe you actually mention?) is how many of these weapons flex between roles. I'd be interested in what you see each weapon's primary and secondary archetype to be. I feel like the best description of a play style isn't the primary role alone but how it pairs with its main backup role.

Not trying to create more homework for yeah, but yeah, I'm actually trying to create more homework for you. I'm just interested in your thoughts on this!
Actually I have been working on a weapon analysis of this, might take me a couple days to finish but that will likely be added either to the main post or the replies soon enough, though I will make known beforehand most of these are just the most prevalent not exactly based on each players style.
For example a tactician usually plays a variety so most weapons could be classified as one in some way, but that isn't how most player will use that weapons per say

I am also going to be adding a small example of a tactician playstyle at work in IDing players archtype and how you can adjust (probably later today

Does the Tenta Brella Fall under Carry? Can weapons fall under two classes? What does SSP stand for?
Tentabrella mainly falls under plz buff:p
Though in all seriousness it is a carry but more so it is a control, using it's okay coverage, beacons, and special makes it able to allow a team get back quickly and keep a push alive, also most time these weapons do better slightly ahead of the objective protecting those behind them and absorbing enemy fire

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
I was mainly concerned with whether the dapple duelies would be considered a carry or a controller, I do kinda feel they can play both but haven't played them much in the other modes to know where they are best suited

Also I am not 100% certain a tuber can be considered a tactician weapon, I just know it was a weapon I use when I play tactical, but I was wondering if there would be a better weapon that would fit into that category.
Fantastic analysis and thread in general! Nice work! I was reading the list thinking "This one's me" "Wait, this one's me too" "No, this one's me too!" And then got to the last one "That's it! That's the one!" :)

For dapples, in my mind they're mostly attackers. Like most weapons, and especially shooters, it can fill any role to some degree, but while it can flank nicely, I can't help but think that a sploosh favors control with a mix of killing, while dapples really excel in the hunter-killer role. Their ttk is their main advantage over both sploosh and regular duelies after all. Every time I try to play them more reserved like a Sploosh I end up going aggro :)

I wonder if a name change of "carry" to "carrier" might be a good idea. When I see "carry" I tend to think of "weps that can carry the team", i.e. the attackers/general purpose weapons more than focused objective carriers. Carry/Carrier gets confusing for zones because controllers really become the carriers by default...

Carry/Carrier is such a hard one to pin down. It has a different meaning in each mode. Is there a carrier for zones? Or is it the controllers that are carriers? RM, since you lose your main weapon, it doesn't matter so much what weapon as long as it's not a heavy. For TC it's probably a bit more pointed to specific weapons.

@Saber For the dapple dualies I would lean towards the carry. I don't think they have the range necessary to control the map as easily as other weapons. I would also consider them to be attackers. The strongest argument there is in favor of them being controlling weapons is that they can hide their beakons somewhere for easy flanking after a death.
To me, tacticians seem to represent the spirit of adapting. They remind me of weapons like the jet squelcher, 96 gal, and the splattershot pro.These weapons function well at long range, but besides having a slower rate of fire, there's nothing stopping them from getting kills up close. The dualie squelchers also work here, but in reverse. For the goo tuber, I can't really say, since I don't have any experience playing with or against it. I would ask @Award if you're curious, since he would definitely know more than me, and possibly anyone else on this site.
Haha, thanks for that! I need to paste a screenshot of that for posterity :) Not sure I'm quite ready to be worthy of being the resident tuber expert...those moments where I take 5 shots and miss them all against a short ranged weapon I should have been able to hit makes me doubt it :P

That said, yeah, I think like saber said, you really need the less used, more unusual weapons to be a tactician type player. And I think Nintendo knows/anticipates that. All the "unloved" weapons tend to be unloved because they're, compared against other weapons, simply inferior at any of the above play styles. But what they have going for them is they cross between those different play-styles with more proficiency, at the cost of ultimate proficiency at any one of them. Perfect for the tactician that may be dramatically shifting between the polar opposites in style. The multi-mode weapons in particular excel (kind of like Switch Axe players in Monster Hunter) at playing tactically.

If we look at a few of those weapons:

Goo Tuber: It's not the longest range charger (barely edging out squiffer). It's tied for slowest to charge charger (4k). But it has mobility approaching dapple duelies...with the reach and ttk of a squiffer (if you're storing your charge) and pretty reasonable ink efficiency and coverage pattern. As a result, it'll never be ideal for defense, or intimidation, or attacking, or controlling. But it's better at alternating between all of those things continuously than most other weapons. It can pop up and kill like a blaster/carbon, it can intimidate with the laser from mid-length, it can cover a fair amount of turf with almost roller like smoothness, and can create long swim lines to escape/rushdown in. It's also fun to stay low on the tower with a stored charge and pick off enemies. And the kit supports zoning (suction) and trapping (splashdown.) But if you play it like a charger, or like a shooter, it's almost certain defeat...and retreat needs to be a steady part of your diet..it forces tactical play (probably my greatest weakness with it is trying to go too "attacker" when the situation calls for it without respecting the limits of the weapon.)

Flingza: It doesn't have the fastest horizontal flick. The vertical is really slow and underpowered in terms of damage at range. On the surface it's not the attacker the carbon is with horizontal speed, nor the attacker the splat/krak is with it's reliable vert, or dynamo (bad as it is now) with it's long range heavy kill power. The sub sucks for it in a lot of ways. But what can it do? It has the horizontal a of a regular roller (or a bit faster), and it can ink very far. That allows it to shark/attack like a normal roller, but also fall back and intimidate from afar, while acting as controller and managing the turf for a good swath of the map. It can alternately be a predator melee fighter, and fall back behind allies, toss a wall, and create a line of defense that's hard to approach with raining ink. Beacons add to tactical options (even if they're poorly suited for the wep otherwise.) And the fast bomb launcher charge makes it fantastic for objective control. It's a worse option than alternatives for any role, but better at playing multiple of those roles at the same time than those alternatives.

Those two are possibly the most multi-versitile tactical weapons to me (which is why I'm focusing on them most when I play) but there's a few others that are probably purely tactical:

I think inkbrush is a very tactical weapon as well. Moreso than octobrush. It can be devastating in the hands of someone with the right mindset (and fingers that can endure the pain....mine sadly can't for long....I'm legedary at inkbrush for about 1/4 of one match....and then my fingers beg for mercy and I get super lazy and sloppy.) But the masters of brushido can be everywhere at once. Arguably it's the most superior tactical weapon of all. Unfortunately I don't think it was meant for the human body to wield. Darn vertebrates..... It's versitility is different than the other two. It can't really be controller, or defender, and it's even so-so at support. But it's "total map control" ability is almost unique to its speed and access. It's almost a weapon that's best to avoid the objective entirely, inestead making everywhere ELSE unsafe. It requires absolute awareness of EVERYTHING on the map at all times. I imagine great brushes look at the map more than the game. I also imagine they have bionic fingers, because...yeowch....

The one class that definitely feels like it belongs is the brella. The defense/attack/ink mix has the right amount of versatile usage while being not particularly strong at any core style. The only thing that makes me hold off on including them yet is that hitbox is so close to purely broken it might not really be well suited even for tactical play. Particularly tentabrella. I'd love it as a main if it weren't for the hitbox. In a way, though it's not terribly different than flingza when you really think about it. Close ohko at dead center only, long, but useless for damage flick, and a defensive ability (shield/wall.) The heavy weight class hinders it with that bad hitbox more than flingza though.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
Fantastic analysis and thread in general! Nice work! I was reading the list thinking "This one's me" "Wait, this one's me too" "No, this one's me too!" And then got to the last one "That's it! That's the one!" :)

For dapples, in my mind they're mostly attackers. Like most weapons, and especially shooters, it can fill any role to some degree, but while it can flank nicely, I can't help but think that a sploosh favors control with a mix of killing, while dapples really excel in the hunter-killer role. Their ttk is their main advantage over both sploosh and regular duelies after all. Every time I try to play them more reserved like a Sploosh I end up going aggro :)

I wonder if a name change of "carry" to "carrier" might be a good idea. When I see "carry" I tend to think of "weps that can carry the team", i.e. the attackers/general purpose weapons more than focused objective carriers. Carry/Carrier gets confusing for zones because controllers really become the carriers by default...

Carry/Carrier is such a hard one to pin down. It has a different meaning in each mode. Is there a carrier for zones? Or is it the controllers that are carriers? RM, since you lose your main weapon, it doesn't matter so much what weapon as long as it's not a heavy. For TC it's probably a bit more pointed to specific weapons.

Haha, thanks for that! I need to paste a screenshot of that for posterity :) Not sure I'm quite ready to be worthy of being the resident tuber expert...those moments where I take 5 shots and miss them all against a short ranged weapon I should have been able to hit makes me doubt it :p

That said, yeah, I think like saber said, you really need the less used, more unusual weapons to be a tactician type player. And I think Nintendo knows/anticipates that. All the "unloved" weapons tend to be unloved because they're, compared against other weapons, simply inferior at any of the above play styles. But what they have going for them is they cross between those different play-styles with more proficiency, at the cost of ultimate proficiency at any one of them. Perfect for the tactician that may be dramatically shifting between the polar opposites in style. The multi-mode weapons in particular excel (kind of like Switch Axe players in Monster Hunter) at playing tactically.

If we look at a few of those weapons:

Goo Tuber: It's not the longest range charger (barely edging out squiffer). It's tied for slowest to charge charger (4k). But it has mobility approaching dapple duelies...with the reach and ttk of a squiffer (if you're storing your charge) and pretty reasonable ink efficiency and coverage pattern. As a result, it'll never be ideal for defense, or intimidation, or attacking, or controlling. But it's better at alternating between all of those things continuously than most other weapons. It can pop up and kill like a blaster/carbon, it can intimidate with the laser from mid-length, it can cover a fair amount of turf with almost roller like smoothness, and can create long swim lines to escape/rushdown in. It's also fun to stay low on the tower with a stored charge and pick off enemies. And the kit supports zoning (suction) and trapping (splashdown.) But if you play it like a charger, or like a shooter, it's almost certain defeat...and retreat needs to be a steady part of your diet..it forces tactical play (probably my greatest weakness with it is trying to go too "attacker" when the situation calls for it without respecting the limits of the weapon.)

Flingza: It doesn't have the fastest horizontal flick. The vertical is really slow and underpowered in terms of damage at range. On the surface it's not the attacker the carbon is with horizontal speed, nor the attacker the splat/krak is with it's reliable vert, or dynamo (bad as it is now) with it's long range heavy kill power. The sub sucks for it in a lot of ways. But what can it do? It has the horizontal a of a regular roller (or a bit faster), and it can ink very far. That allows it to shark/attack like a normal roller, but also fall back and intimidate from afar, while acting as controller and managing the turf for a good swath of the map. It can alternately be a predator melee fighter, and fall back behind allies, toss a wall, and create a line of defense that's hard to approach with raining ink. Beacons add to tactical options (even if they're poorly suited for the wep otherwise.) And the fast bomb launcher charge makes it fantastic for objective control. It's a worse option than alternatives for any role, but better at playing multiple of those roles at the same time than those alternatives.

Those two are possibly the most multi-versitile tactical weapons to me (which is why I'm focusing on them most when I play) but there's a few others that are probably purely tactical:

I think inkbrush is a very tactical weapon as well. Moreso than octobrush. It can be devastating in the hands of someone with the right mindset (and fingers that can endure the pain....mine sadly can't for long....I'm legedary at inkbrush for about 1/4 of one match....and then my fingers beg for mercy and I get super lazy and sloppy.) But the masters of brushido can be everywhere at once. Arguably it's the most superior tactical weapon of all. Unfortunately I don't think it was meant for the human body to wield. Darn vertebrates..... It's versitility is different than the other two. It can't really be controller, or defender, and it's even so-so at support. But it's "total map control" ability is almost unique to its speed and access. It's almost a weapon that's best to avoid the objective entirely, inestead making everywhere ELSE unsafe. It requires absolute awareness of EVERYTHING on the map at all times. I imagine great brushes look at the map more than the game. I also imagine they have bionic fingers, because...yeowch....

The one class that definitely feels like it belongs is the brella. The defense/attack/ink mix has the right amount of versatile usage while being not particularly strong at any core style. The only thing that makes me hold off on including them yet is that hitbox is so close to purely broken it might not really be well suited even for tactical play. Particularly tentabrella. I'd love it as a main if it weren't for the hitbox. In a way, though it's not terribly different than flingza when you really think about it. Close ohko at dead center only, long, but useless for damage flick, and a defensive ability (shield/wall.) The heavy weight class hinders it with that bad hitbox more than flingza though.
Yeah I think carrier would be a better term,however the difference between a carrier and controller is the carrier is more reserved
For example in port mackerel a controller could go to the choke to prevent players from pushing in, whereas a carrier would hold back keeping near the edge of the fight to take out any stranglers and recover the zone.

Thanks for all your advice towards the weapons as well, I will definitely be including them in my weapon classing.

I will also admit I need to give the brush a retry, for me it was more of a versatlie meme weapon (with all swim speed).
When I did play it I attacked in short bursts though to conserve my pain til the end, L-3 nozzlehose D (I miss you fam... :wst_shot_triplequick01::() taught me that very well.

The brella to me is the weirdest one of all I do well with it (like I don't think I've lost with tentabrella yet) and I like it style, but honestly it just feels like it is incomplete. I understand maybe send out a terrible weapon than another tri slosher but still it feels like this tent has a gaping hole in it

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Yeah I think carrier would be a better term,however the difference between a carrier and controller is the carrier is more reserved
For example in port mackerel a controller could go to the choke to prevent players from pushing in, whereas a carrier would hold back keeping near the edge of the fight to take out any stranglers and recover the zone.

Thanks for all your advice towards the weapons as well, I will definitely be including them in my weapon classing.

I will also admit I need to give the brush a retry, for me it was more of a versatlie meme weapon (with all swim speed).
When I did play it I attacked in short bursts though to conserve my pain til the end, L-3 nozzlehose D (I miss you fam... :wst_shot_triplequick01::() taught me that very well.

The brella to me is the weirdest one of all I do well with it (like I don't think I've lost with tentabrella yet) and I like it style, but honestly it just feels like it is incomplete. I understand maybe send out a terrible weapon than another tri slosher but still it feels like this tent has a gaping hole in it
For as much as everyone was complaining about the tentabrella sucking harder than the splatbrella, I've already seen far better tenta play than splat play in the tenta's short life. The fact is that the tenta's huge shield size makes it far more difficult to deal with... even with all the drawbacks compared to other weapons.

I'm not sure if it's more carrier or support because when I had the hardest time dealing with it was when it would perform a sort of "escort" role with its teammates, but in something like RM or tower, they would "escort" the objective (in RM, that's both escorting a teammate AND the objective, though). So I don't know.

Don't get me wrong, I still messed up tentabrellas pretty fierce. But there were huge moments when the tenta on the other team would just click and make a really big push.

I'd lean toward it being support (I know you're going with carry, and that works, too), but I think to REALLY know where it stands, we have to wait and see how the meta and future buffs pan out. We also probably need to observe how it works in league when VC/coordination is available because its true potential lies there.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
Move everything to the OP for a better more complete view, let me know if anything is missing

Last edited:

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Rapid Blaster Controller/ Defender (?)

Rapid Blaster Pro Defender/ Tactician
This is great. I especially like the quoted portion. I'm finding with my switch from RB to RBP, there are aspects of my approach/game that I need to change (especially depending on the map). They seem like mostly the same weapon/role at first blush, but they're deceptively different.

I can't wait to pour over this entire list more when I have more time.

One question, you aren't sure about the RB being a defender as its secondary role. What's the hesitation? What else are you considering in that place?

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
This is great. I especially like the quoted portion. I'm finding with my switch from RB to RBP, there are aspects of my approach/game that I need to change (especially depending on the map). They seem like mostly the same weapon/role at first blush, but they're deceptively different.

I can't wait to pour over this entire list more when I have more time.

One question, you aren't sure about the RB being a defender as its secondary role. What's the hesitation? What else are you considering in that place?
I was orginally considering carrier because of it's kit, especially the bomb rush special combined with and range make it good both on the tower and for popping the rainmaker shield grabbing the rainmaker, then I relized it kinda is another multitool weapon with varying ways to be played.
Ultimately though I did decide on defender cause it can pressure on a team and force them not to apporach, i mean no one wants to meet a RB head on

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom