• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 Player archetypes in Splatoon

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
SplatterShot Pro? That`s my guess.

Slosher(s) should be in tactical and or support I think. *shrugs*
Just my two cents, but while there are dedicated support classes and/or weapons in other colorful quirky shooters, like the Medic in Team Fortress 2, Mercy/Zenyatta/Lúcio/Ana/Moira/Symmetra and arguably Sombra in Overwatch, there are no support weapons in this game.

There are some weapons that do have minor supportive capabilities like those equipped with beacons and one could argue the Brella shield can be used to support others, even if most of the time it is only used to protect the player wielding it, but no weapon is designed to support as it primary function. Of course, people are allowed to consider a weapon "support" if they want, my point is that I don't think they are actually designed that way.

On Sloshers, I think they fit in the "controller" category suggested by the thread creator. They naturally work better in Tower Control and in maps with lots of vertical... stuff, but I have success with it in Splat Zones, too.

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
I mostly play chargers, though, because the concept of snipers draws me towards them, even though I mediocre at best at the role. I should most likely stop playing chargers, sticking to weapons I have a certain affinity with instead. I guess I am just a masochist.
I do the same thing, but with a catch. I normally play the Splatlings and I find them to be functionally similar enough to warrant using both. You could describe it as masochistic. I would describe it as, "Using a number of weapons in order to understand their functionality better so that I can more effectively counter them later with weapons I am better with."

Or, you know, practical. :p

Mr.HawK

The Artist
Fairly interesting read. As i've come to understand it I do believe some people in the competitive community use certain player roles that fit what youre trying to describe here. It's fairly similar but some roles originate form other shooters outside of splatoon.

For instance: Attacker would be a Slayer, someone who prioritizes kills and is and offensive front liner.

Controller/Carrier/and Support as you've listed would actually all work in a single cohesive Support role. Supports in this game are much different to other types of supports in other shooters, but the goal in this game is to provide area control in quick succession so that your team has the advantage. Support is a very vague role but it often refers to area control and getting kills (chargers would fit the bill here).

Defender sounds like an Anchor to me, a player who's job is to lock down a certain area and prevent the opponents from pushing through. unfortunately there aren't too many weapons in this game that can truly utilize this kind of role, so more often than not people dont try and run comps with them. I can see the brella class and virtually anything with a wall being one of these, kind of like how Splat 1 96 gal and cherry H3 were before.

Tactician definitely sounds like a Flex (short for flexible player) and is right up my alley. a player who understand each role well enough to play them is always welcoming, just not when everyone else is trying to be the same thing tho...

overall I think youre on the right track here, I think with how often the metagame changes it's fairly difficult to really know where everything fits so it's nice to see the work being done so far.

Fluddinator

Pro Squid
When it comes to competitive scenes, I'm no master at it... but I have been reading playstyle discussions for a long time.

I have to say that this is the first time, I'm reading an "All-Round" description where such players are known as Tacticians. For a long time, when it comes to talk about the "Well-rounded"/"Balanced"/"All-Round"/"All-Rounder"/etc., people kept saying how such characters/weapons are versatile, easy to use and great for beginners and veterans.

I thought for a long time that such archetype makes the player think about what to do, every time: because they are so Balanced, what skill are they supposed to rely on? All of them are equal in value! That's when you realize that you have to read the situation, in order to understand what to do... in a sense, it could be seen as if you are playing a Puzzle game (not the stacking ones like Tetris).

I would like to know what does it mean for the Splattershot to be banned, though... we can't talk about that weapon at all?

Overall, the concepts are all valid... for the Tactician, however, I would say that eventually, you gotta be decent with all weapons: they all have at least an unique feature, which really shine in their sub combo set. So, it could be wise to use the Custom Splattershot Jr. for a match where the Support is needed at the moment.

I do have two questions regarding the Tactician: do you think that All-Round/Jack of all Trades weapons/characters are always the easy one to use? Is the N-ZAP '89 a Tactician weapon? (Sheldon said how the N-ZAP '89 is perfect for those players who adapt to the match.)

Still, thank you for all this information...! It was very interesting!

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
When it comes to competitive scenes, I'm no master at it... but I have been reading playstyle discussions for a long time.

I have to say that this is the first time, I'm reading an "All-Round" description where such players are known as Tacticians. For a long time, when it comes to talk about the "Well-rounded"/"Balanced"/"All-Round"/"All-Rounder"/etc., people kept saying how such characters/weapons are versatile, easy to use and great for beginners and veterans.

I thought for a long time that such archetype makes the player think about what to do, every time: because they are so Balanced, what skill are they supposed to rely on? All of them are equal in value! That's when you realize that you have to read the situation, in order to understand what to do... in a sense, it could be seen as if you are playing a Puzzle game (not the stacking ones like Tetris).

I would like to know what does it mean for the Splattershot to be banned, though... we can't talk about that weapon at all?

Overall, the concepts are all valid... for the Tactician, however, I would say that eventually, you gotta be decent with all weapons: they all have at least an unique feature, which really shine in their sub combo set. So, it could be wise to use the Custom Splattershot Jr. for a match where the Support is needed at the moment.

I do have two questions regarding the Tactician: do you think that All-Round/Jack of all Trades weapons/characters are always the easy one to use? Is the N-ZAP '89 a Tactician weapon? (Sheldon said how the N-ZAP '89 is perfect for those players who adapt to the match.)

Still, thank you for all this information...! It was very interesting!
The banned is a joke from my early days, after playing Splatoon 1 I realized the splattershot wasn't a weapon I liked so I made the joke that personally I am banned myself from playing it (never even purchased it). It can be talked about it just isn't I would ever think of using until it is brought down a peg in the meta

But it also is a way to symbolize that those weapon I may not have no experience using so my thoughts on such weapons might be slightly off..

Also love the point you brought with regards to the custom splattershot jr, knowing what your team's composition is and the archtypes they favor you can better decide which weapon can help fill and will help you teammates in reguards to your composition.

Lastly, I do solidly hold to the belief that any weapon has the potential to be a tactical weapon, and the n-zaps would likely be close to fitting that category as well.

However there is a problem with Jack of all trades weapons overall and the main reasons I don't call these ones specifically out is simple cause of tunnel vision.
These weapons are so good at doing so much yet most times they end of drifting into habbits of getting splat or taking control of an area instead of analyzing the situation.

With weapons the ones I have labeled as tactical weapons usually are forced to be adaptable in order for them to get value out of their weapon and therefore are less likely to solo focus on any 1 thing.

Fluddinator

Pro Squid
Huh, that's something new I have never seen... an user who doesn't like the "basic Splatoon weapon"!

Well, if drifting into habbits is something depending on the player, then we shouldn't worry too much... true Tacticians would always manage to use crafty plans anyway!

Besides, even though I don't disagree with the idea of all weapons being "Tacticians" in their own rights... even the most "Tactician" of all weapons, in this game, eventually makes the player learn a specific thinking style. That's because how the weapon classes and their relative sub combo sets, can really make the difference!

Chargers, for example, need their shots charged in order to take out an Inkling... which means, you should stay at the distance and charge up the shot from the distance! There are some weapons who can charge faster, yes... although, the Squiffer is not fast enough to splat a foe who wields one of the many weapons who don't need charges (especially the Sploosh, since it is very good at short-range combats). The small bursts don't help either, since they are too slow compared to weapons like the Sploosh.

The Goo Tuber is said to be a Tactician weapon... but there is one thing I can think of, which you can't do with that weapon: charge your shot when in close range. Because of its long charging times, going at short-range is more of a situational moment (helping a teammate finishing off a near-by foe; charging the shot and sneaking it near the incoming foe, through your ink), thus my plans risk to be a bit too predictable, since foes would know that I wouldn't show up at close-range as easily.

The Flingza Roller? It does sound like a nice, well-rounded weapon on paper... but it does have its limitations: when it comes to vertical swings, I can only do the "Slow but huge-reach" variant. Sometimes, I wouldn't mind having at least the "All-medium" vertical swing, so my shot can still reach the escaping foe and be fast enough to do it! With such slow mode, the foes would easily dodge at the sides (when in short range... and even if they happen to hold the Ninja Squid ability too!) or if they have the Sploosh... they are exposed to attacks!

What about their subs? Well, if you position the Suction Bomb in front of you and think to scare the foe away, while swinging vertically/charging the shot... that can only work if the situation is ideal for that. Same for the Splash Wall... but this is all said, if we just want to splat an incoming foe. What about advancing with the Goo Tuber? You might find a path for getting into enemy territory, unnoticed... but what if you can't move while unnoticed AND proceeding forward is a must (you don't have time to charge your shots)?

The Flingza lets you deal better at close-range, since the problem comes with its vertical swing... but the foes would still know that if you do the vertical swing, they would have enough time to escape/attack (if they are fully aware of it), thus you would need favorable situations for that.

All this brings me to the point I want to make: all weapons (set included) tend to have limited choices, since all of them work in specific ways... thus the Tactical part comes in the same limited way. The ideal Tactician weapon would be a multi-class one or the ability to switch the weapon into a different one (but none of them are super-good at the job and the switch options should be higher instead of just swapping a medium swing with a slow but long-reach one).

Still, it would still wise to consider all weapons, before jumping into a pro match... and not ignore Special Abilities, such as Thermal Ink! With the ability to see your opponents, you would have even more information at disposal to use for your crafty plans!

Well, this is what I think in general, at least...

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
Well it has been a while hasn't it?

Sorry to everyone for the long delay, been busy on other threads and with other games lately and this thread kind fell to the sideline
But I am back and will be adding to this list weekly can add to this thread and that this can help you in the game

vanille987

Inkling Cadet
NNID
777SAS777
Well it has been a while hasn't it?

Sorry to everyone for the long delay, been busy on other threads and with other games lately and this thread kind fell to the sideline
But I am back and will be adding to this list weekly can add to this thread and that this can help you in the game
Now that i have finally noticed noticed this (sticky maybe? :p)
Just wanted to say that this was a really informative thread in general.
I always swore there were 3 roles (defender, attacker and support) and i was support, but this thread made my realize there's more to that and i'm more of a 'tactician'.
Especially the weapon recommendation based on role were extremely helpful.
Looking forward to possible updates!

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
Hey Everyone just wanted to give a quick update this thread hasn't been too updated recently, I have been waiting on 3.0 to drop and trying equally hard to reach S+10 before rank X drops.....S+9 Is a little triggering

So due to this there might be a few shifts in updates, the old weapons should be on later today, but future weapons will be added after 2 weeks so I can analyze the weapons and see how they would best fit into the list. If you guys would like to help me with analyzing these new weapons I would be very grateful

Lastly, if there are any more you like me to add to this thread to improve it let me know

Also @Mr.HawK I was wondering if this thread meet the requirement to become a sticky thread?

SilverBrick

Pro Squid
NNID
SilverBrick
So the Flingza's been discussed a lot, and as a vanilla Flingza 'main' (not really a main but it is the weapon I'm most comfortable with, along with the Inkbrush), I have to throw in my two cents.

People underestimate the Flingza because its mechanics aren't explored properly. Its horizontal flick is objectively worse than the Splat's (though only by pixels thanks to 3.0.0), while the vertical is slow, has falloff so massive that you're usually dealing the minimum 40, and is lower ranged than the Dynamo to boot.

But tag someone with the vertical for 40, and the killing area of the horizontal flick becomes easily better than that of the Splat. Glance them with a horizontal, and you can back up without them giving chase - if they do, a vertical flick should do it. Or sneak up, and then just a horizontal flick or roll will work.

Peek onto ledges with the horizontal, or peek around obstacles with the vertical. Use the horizontal to fix up patchy ink, or use the vertical to paint swathes of flat land.

Take down Inkjets, pop or delay Ballers, jump onto Bomb Rushers and Stingrays or distract them, keep Bubbles in check, pressure them into using Splashdown uselessly, remove Ink Armor, and paint over Ink Storms. Positioned correctly, it can literally counter every single special in the game.

It's a Tactician's weapon through and through; a swiss-army tool. It even flips into different shapes!

The sub and special, despite seeming like the oddest choices possible, help immensely too.

The Splash Wall protects against long-ranged weapons and stalls them, making them ripe for splatting. For short-ranged weapons, it's exactly what it says on the tin - a wall. Toss it down and vertical flick immediately. If they notice it coming and swim through before the wall can come up, the vertical flick will kill them. If they don't, they have to either swim round it (go under the wall and horizontal flick them), attack it (you can attack them directly), or run away. Or you can just hand it off to teammates - Splatlings work best for this - and flank the enemy while they're dealing with the more obvious threat.

Splat Bomb Launcher is almost overpowered. Where most weapons retain their main attack while using a Bomb Launcher, the Flingza retains its main attacks, plural. Two indirect bomb hits and a long-range vertical flick is a kill. One indirect bomb hit makes the killing range of the horizontal flick much better. Plus you retain all the normal killing methods, and can just bomb spam.

Pack Thermal Ink, 3 subs Bomb Defense for countering Splashdown and Baller, Ink Saver Sub for the Wall, Special Charge Up for the Bomb Launcher, and maybe Sub/Special Power Up. I use Run Speed for the vertical flick, but I'm not sure if that even works so don't take it into Ranked without tests.

Hardly anyone uses the Flingza, but I have to ask why. It was good enough with the damage holding it back; now with a better horizontal flick and the buff to both the Splash Wall and Thermal Ink, I'm sure we'll see much more... of the Foil Flingza.

Joke's on them.

As for the new weapons:

Neo Splash-o-Matic must be an Attacker/Controllor weapon. Burst Bombs combined with its accuracy make it great at kill-confirming, and all of its kit, including the Suction Bomb Launcher, is great at painting turf and denying enemy positioning.

Foil Squeezer would be Tactician, I think. It's versatile to begin with, and the Splat Bomb/Bubble Blower kit is very similar to the Forge Pro.

New Squiffer - Attacker/Carrier. Autobombs keep it aware of enemies near the objective, and the main is a quick-charging one-shot. Baller lets it kill-confirm, chase enemies down, or stay on the objective unharmed.

Gloogas Deco, I'm tempted to call Attacker/Defender. Splash Wall for stalling and blocking, three/two-shot kills but stationary, fairly long range, and the Baller for escape, and for chasing down enemies.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
So the Flingza's been discussed a lot, and as a vanilla Flingza 'main' (not really a main but it is the weapon I'm most comfortable with, along with the Inkbrush), I have to throw in my two cents.

People underestimate the Flingza because its mechanics aren't explored properly. Its horizontal flick is objectively worse than the Splat's (though only by pixels thanks to 3.0.0), while the vertical is slow, has falloff so massive that you're usually dealing the minimum 40, and is lower ranged than the Dynamo to boot.

But tag someone with the vertical for 40, and the killing area of the horizontal flick becomes easily better than that of the Splat. Glance them with a horizontal, and you can back up without them giving chase - if they do, a vertical flick should do it. Or sneak up, and then just a horizontal flick or roll will work.

Peek onto ledges with the horizontal, or peek around obstacles with the vertical. Use the horizontal to fix up patchy ink, or use the vertical to paint swathes of flat land.

Take down Inkjets, pop or delay Ballers, jump onto Bomb Rushers and Stingrays or distract them, keep Bubbles in check, pressure them into using Splashdown uselessly, remove Ink Armor, and paint over Ink Storms. Positioned correctly, it can literally counter every single special in the game.

It's a Tactician's weapon through and through; a swiss-army tool. It even flips into different shapes!

The sub and special, despite seeming like the oddest choices possible, help immensely too.

The Splash Wall protects against long-ranged weapons and stalls them, making them ripe for splatting. For short-ranged weapons, it's exactly what it says on the tin - a wall. Toss it down and vertical flick immediately. If they notice it coming and swim through before the wall can come up, the vertical flick will kill them. If they don't, they have to either swim round it (go under the wall and horizontal flick them), attack it (you can attack them directly), or run away. Or you can just hand it off to teammates - Splatlings work best for this - and flank the enemy while they're dealing with the more obvious threat.

Splat Bomb Launcher is almost overpowered. Where most weapons retain their main attack while using a Bomb Launcher, the Flingza retains its main attacks, plural. Two indirect bomb hits and a long-range vertical flick is a kill. One indirect bomb hit makes the killing range of the horizontal flick much better. Plus you retain all the normal killing methods, and can just bomb spam.

Pack Thermal Ink, 3 subs Bomb Defense for countering Splashdown and Baller, Ink Saver Sub for the Wall, Special Charge Up for the Bomb Launcher, and maybe Sub/Special Power Up. I use Run Speed for the vertical flick, but I'm not sure if that even works so don't take it into Ranked without tests.

Hardly anyone uses the Flingza, but I have to ask why. It was good enough with the damage holding it back; now with a better horizontal flick and the buff to both the Splash Wall and Thermal Ink, I'm sure we'll see much more... of the Foil Flingza.

Joke's on them.

As for the new weapons:

Neo Splash-o-Matic must be an Attacker/Controllor weapon. Burst Bombs combined with its accuracy make it great at kill-confirming, and all of its kit, including the Suction Bomb Launcher, is great at painting turf and denying enemy positioning.

Foil Squeezer would be Tactician, I think. It's versatile to begin with, and the Splat Bomb/Bubble Blower kit is very similar to the Forge Pro.

New Squiffer - Attacker/Carrier. Autobombs keep it aware of enemies near the objective, and the main is a quick-charging one-shot. Baller lets it kill-confirm, chase enemies down, or stay on the objective unharmed.

Gloogas Deco, I'm tempted to call Attacker/Defender. Splash Wall for stalling and blocking, three/two-shot kills but stationary, fairly long range, and the Baller for escape, and for chasing down enemies.
I actually had been playing a lot of the flingza lately, and I admit I feel it has finally become a tactician weapon after it's buffs, I make the changes soon, plus that is a prttey interesting setup I have to give it a try (especailly now that my sub up with swim speed/ ninja squid is RIP)

I agree a lot with most of your views toward the new weapons
I actually was having some difficult ID-ing my og favorite weapon (new squiffer) mainly cause I see most of the charger class having a lot of focus towards defender, as I saw this it definitely made sense that this weapon would be an attacker/carrier

There are only 2 views I feel different about,
Foil Squeezer I actually feel it can be a tactician but it goes foremost as a controller, this weapon has a kit suited to turfing as well as pressure between it accurate tapshots and recent buff to it's continuous fire, on top of that it also has Bubbler which is great for pushing objectives and most importantly force the enemy to focus them down (which with splat bombs is usually easier said than done), or re position.
Glooga Dulies I actually feel are a support/carrier these weapons are extremely mobile and deadly, however they sometimes are always good at confirming kills... However this weapons kit allows it to toss down splash walls to guard their teamates (plus roll cancel the splash wall animation) and though not the best at confirming they can easily land enough damage for allies to follow up on. Plus both the splash walls and the baller allow them to hold an objective for long periods of time especially in splat zones, rainmaker and clam

thanks for the help I will be sure to add these to the op

SilverBrick

Pro Squid
NNID
SilverBrick
I actually had been playing a lot of the flingza lately, and I admit I feel it has finally become a tactician weapon after it's buffs, I make the changes soon, plus that is a prttey interesting setup I have to give it a try (especailly now that my sub up with swim speed/ ninja squid is RIP)

I agree a lot with most of your views toward the new weapons
I actually was having some difficult ID-ing my og favorite weapon (new squiffer) mainly cause I see most of the charger class having a lot of focus towards defender, as I saw this it definitely made sense that this weapon would be an attacker/carrier

There are only 2 views I feel different about,
Foil Squeezer I actually feel it can be a tactician but it goes foremost as a controller, this weapon has a kit suited to turfing as well as pressure between it accurate tapshots and recent buff to it's continuous fire, on top of that it also has Bubbler which is great for pushing objectives and most importantly force the enemy to focus them down (which with splat bombs is usually easier said than done), or re position.
Glooga Dulies I actually feel are a support/carrier these weapons are extremely mobile and deadly, however they sometimes are always good at confirming kills... However this weapons kit allows it to toss down splash walls to guard their teamates (plus roll cancel the splash wall animation) and though not the best at confirming they can easily land enough damage for allies to follow up on. Plus both the splash walls and the baller allow them to hold an objective for long periods of time especially in splat zones, rainmaker and clam

thanks for the help I will be sure to add these to the op
I admit I was guesstimating with the Foil Squeezer and Gloogas Deco. I’ve never tried them, and I’m terrible with Gloogas in the first place, but I wanted to make an attempt at defining them all.

The Foil Squeezer is probably Tactician/Controller then. No idea about Gloogas Deco.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
Hey Everyone I have been really busy lately and have neglected updating this recently so here is just a quick update of what is to come

Udating OP: added color to help better identify weapons and the categories they fall into
Added all missing weapon: there might be a few I missed so let me know if I did

Training: there is currnetly another player looking to assemble "professors" to train players in the ways of Splatoon when my schedule clears up I am hoping to join them in teaching:
-Weapon analysis
-archetypes and
-team synergy

I will post a link to their thread down below
https://squidboards.com/threads/splat-university-seeking-professors.34704/

Anyways thanks again for all the support and look foward to further updates

Last edited:

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
Uhhh...

Not sure if this thread is dead but I found an interesting video on weapon roles by Wadsm.

THREADS NEVER DIE!
thanks mercy

EDIT* I use the archtype from this thread and role mentioned interchangeably (sorry is there is any confusion)

Positives:
I love how he bring out abilities utility gear toward certain roles I honestly do pay constant attention to enemies gear as I re-spawn to gain a good idea of their roles on a teams

-He specifies positioning as regards each weapon a player might choose and how it allows a player to use that weapon at it's peak effectiveness

-I appreciate his mentioning of composition that are common in meta and talking about the various unique combination we commonly see, I actually have to admit I am thinking of showing the top team and analyzing their archetypes to give an idea of common comps both in competitive and casual meta

Anyways wanted to talk about this earlier, this is a really good advice video it covers a lot of great points however I do have some disagreements with his video
Negatives
1. I personally feel that weapons have 2 main archetypes, and will usually switch between these roles as needed, for example a team has 4 slayers in a solo queue, mostly likely on with a less aggressive kit would take on a more supportive role... ag
***** Again I do go into slightly more detail on roles so there are

2. The more roles a weapon can fill the more your team can adapt and change their play style to challenge and enemies playstyle, I also feel that it you aren't adapting your play style between these roles somewhat it makes your play style predictable and therefore could be a hindrance to a team, whereas being unpredicatable can prove to be a vital wild card and allows for more diversity in play
Ex: Using an E-liter to flank behind an enemy to their objective setting up beacons and sniping enemies as they rush objective

3. Personal opinion,
Respawn punisher in my belief belongs on SLAYERS, slayers simply put get more kills and even in my archtype of the attacker the longer they can keep an enemy out of game and keep the enemy team in a disadvantage or even (in trades) the better, plus many slayer commonly run QR and comeback so they actually will usually be in a less disadvantaged state than the enemy team

Whereas for Backline I usually prefer to run Haunt this is simply cause in comps it provides a visual to the enemy team as well as apply respawn punish without hindering your Defender allowing then to keep holding the line and provide a SJ for the team[/spoiler]

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander

3. Personal opinion,
Respawn punisher in my belief belongs on SLAYERS, slayers simply put get more kills and even in my archtype of the attacker the longer they can keep an enemy out of game and keep the enemy team in a disadvantage or even (in trades) the better, plus many slayer commonly run QR and comeback so they actually will usually be in a less disadvantaged state than the enemy team

Whereas for Backline I usually prefer to run Haunt this is simply cause in comps it provides a visual to the enemy team as well as apply respawn punish without hindering your Defender allowing then to keep holding the line and provide a SJ for the team[/spoiler]
Can you explain this preference? I find that on backliners your K/D is higher because you get splatted so infrequently, and because of this you’ll maximize the positive benefit to your team.

Also, what’s appealing about Haunt? Is it that you’ll be able to continue to call out your attacker in voice chat? Or is there some benefit that a solo queue player would receive as well?

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
R
Can you explain this preference? I find that on backliners your K/D is higher because you get splatted so infrequently, and because of this you’ll maximize the positive benefit to your team.

Also, what’s appealing about Haunt? Is it that you’ll be able to continue to call out your attacker in voice chat? Or is there some benefit that a solo queue player would receive as well?
This is gonna be a long explanation

Respawn punisher preference if for a few reasons

- As great as the penalty is on enemies, it honestly never gets enough use on most backliners when I use them ...personally I can get anywhere from 8 to 12+ kills (w/o assists)
Plus both me and wadsm mention that a backline weapon holds an area getting picks and giving your team a safe jump point to get back quickly...the longer you are out the harder it is to hold and the easier it is for a team to collapse on you

-Slayer weapons on the other hand encourage the player to go for kills....when I use respawn punisher it encrouages me to play smart and even a little consercative for kills...and there get more kills while lowering my deaths and therefore the times I am out of the game.

-Here is the math: if a slayer gets 20+ kills (which I can usually get close to that means that an enemy of the enemy team is out of the game on avg of 184 seconds
(14 seconds extra boost the time out to 3 minutes), and have lost 1300% of their special gauge (nearly a 300% boost)

- Lastly my slayer kits run special charge/ saver or quick respawn and therefore will usually not be out nor lose as much special unlike the enemy team ....and since there are 2 slayers at minimum in a comp there is less impact to the team synergy

-Haunt I choose on chargers cause there is always 1 player who will focus you, especially in solo queue, so this will allow you to have an eye on that flanker cor up to 26 seconds

- It applies respawn punisher on the enemy who splatted you if you do manage to take them (encourages more aggressive and mobile play)

-Also as a backliner I do run QR at times but I refer mobility, special booster, bomb def, or ink recovery over QR....so this make Respawn punisher less useful on my backline kits

Plus in comp you now have an eye on 1 enemy slayer and can then call out their location as you said

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
I’m gonna have to butt in to vouch for the opposite... I’ll start with Haunt though. In solo q I typically run haunt on charger so I can keep an eye on a flanker, but as I’ve realized in competitive splatoon, it’s pretty worthless on a backliner. Reason being, the enemy will already be called out as or before you die, and will be dead or at least identified by the time you respawn and the actual haunt comes into effect.

As for respawn punisher on slayers, this is a big no-no for a few reasons. First of all, yes slayers get more kills, but man they die a lot more too, and the backlash on rp is not kind. You lose a lot of special gauge, and that’s something you need filled for frontliners like inkjet, baller, etc. Also, it hurts your respawn time, and counteracts any QR you’re running. People run QR to respawn faster, to mitigate death, but running RP would demolish a frontliner making it so they’d almost never charge special, and respawn slower. It’s just so harsh on the user it’s hard to justify using it on a frontliner.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
I’m gonna have to butt in to vouch for the opposite... I’ll start with Haunt though. In solo q I typically run haunt on charger so I can keep an eye on a flanker, but as I’ve realized in competitive splatoon, it’s pretty worthless on a backliner. Reason being, the enemy will already be called out as or before you die, and will be dead or at least identified by the time you respawn and the actual haunt comes into effect.

As for respawn punisher on slayers, this is a big no-no for a few reasons. First of all, yes slayers get more kills, but man they die a lot more too, and the backlash on rp is not kind. You lose a lot of special gauge, and that’s something you need filled for frontliners like inkjet, baller, etc. Also, it hurts your respawn time, and counteracts any QR you’re running. People run QR to respawn faster, to mitigate death, but running RP would demolish a frontliner making it so they’d almost never charge special, and respawn slower. It’s just so harsh on the user it’s hard to justify using it on a frontliner.
Again my main use for haunt is solo q, cause backliners get focused by ambitious flankers all the time....plus again to have respawn punisher possibly available without any drawback is still quite useful for me

Respawn punisher on a slayer is unorthodox (which is kinda a summary of my whole playstyle)...
Personally as long as my Kills are high and I keep my deaths to a minimun it proves to be pretty useful, not to say it hasn't backfired... but most times it has it was because I was getting overly aggressive

Mobility:
:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed: :ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed: :ability_swimspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
RP :ability_runspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
:ability_runspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:
Basically get in get the kills and quickly fall back
Shooter/dulies

Conservative build
:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_specialsaver::ability_specialsaver:
RP :ability_unknown::ability_unknown::ability_unknown: hoping for :ability_quickrespawn:
:ability_quickrespawn::ability_specialsaver::ability_quickrespawn::ability_specialsaver: or :ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_specialsaver:
Mitigate drawbacks slightly while keeping mobile (usually used on a blaster)

Also got
RP:ability_defenseup::ability_inksaversub::ability_defenseup: and RP:ability_quicksuperjump::ability_specialsaver::ability_quicksuperjump: both not definite kit for them

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I like respawn punisher with the Splattershot Pro. I can stay back just enough to not be killed very often, and I can consistently splat with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom