• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 Player archetypes in Splatoon

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
I practiced the heck out of that weapon in Splatoon 1. Here's what I think.

The Bamboozler has two distinct strengths going for it. The speed of its charge and the fact that it always fires at maximum range whether or not it's fully charged. That makes the playstyle for this weapon unusually aggressive for a Charger. It also allows for a slightly greater margin for error because you will be firing so quickly. This weapon is best described as ranged aggression. The key point to take away there is "ranged." You want to abuse your range because, like other Chargers, this weapon isn't great up close. You need to stay at a range to be effective. If you've been practicing the Rapid Blasters this shouldn't be an issue. Just keep practicing with the weapon's effective range. It does have better range than the Squiffer so use that to your advantage!

Now it's time to go over the weapons weaknesses. I've already mentioned that the weapon does not excel at close range, but I wouldn't be doing an analysis justice unless I mentioned the Bamboozler shaped elephant in the room. It's damage. Unlike other Chargers, the Bamboozler's maximum damage at a full charge is 80. This means that in order to secure the kill you need to either hit twice or have an assist. This wasn't a huge issue in OG Splatoon because you could stack :ability_damage: to get each individual shot's damage to 99.9 potentially. This makes it so the weapon is essentially a one shot kill so long as your enemy did so much as step in your ink for a split second. Without :ability_damage: to fall back on, the weapon takes a lot more skill to use. This could, of course, be mitigated with the right kit. Unfortunately the kit we have in Splatoon 2 so far isn't that great with the main weapon. It comes with Curling Bombs and Tenta Missiles. Individually, these are both great! Curling Bombs ink a lot of turf while forging paths for you or your teammates to follow while Tenta Missiles track and force your enemies to make a move or perish in the ensuing missile onslaught. Problem being these things don't work so great with the Bamboozler. Curling Bombs don't offer much help in emergency close range attacks and you certainly don't want to be getting too close to an enemy carrying a good close range weapon like, for instance, the Sploosh or a Roller. Tenta Missiles offer a form of tracking and another ranged attack, but again this does not offer any sort of help in close ranged situations where you will be struggling. This forces the weapon, which I already mentioned acts rather aggressively, into a more supporting role. Forging paths for teammates with the Curling Bombs, helping them track enemies with the Tenta Missiles, and using the main weapon as more of a distraction for the enemy.

In summation, this is a weapon I am comfortable calling an attack/support weapon. It has plenty of strengths going for it, but the weaknesses are a bit much for that to compensate for in my opinion. I don't see this becoming meta, but I could be wrong about that. What I would like to see is one of the other Bamboozler variants rocking some kit combination of Burst Bomb/Toxic Mist and Baller(even with the upcoming nerfs it's getting hit with)/Ink Armor. Those combinations of sub/special would make full use of the Bamboozler's strengths while compensating for its weaknesses! I guess only time will tell whether or not we get the Bamboozler dream.
Hello! I've been playing the Bamboozler for ages, that is, since release on S1 and I want to agree with you. It's a great weapon. The best weapon. But as someone who can't hit the broad side of a barn, I feel you've missed out on what makes the Bamboozler truly terrifying: it's always useful.

While technically this weapon has a really fast TTK and obnoxious range, as you've stated, I rarely see those traits put to good use. Maybe you're different. Maybe you can aim. But even if you can't, the oddball weapon we're describing can be put to good use for so many other purposes.

But before I rant, I want to say that in theory, you're argument for Attacker is sound.

Let's assume you can always land those charge-taps, yeah? Disregard the difficulty and say you're the aiming god with the best reaction speed in the world. Cool.

Let's also say that you abuse your range to the fullest. You turn around corners when you have to, but for the most part, you find ways to make it so that the opponent is within your line of sights before they can start firing more than two shots at you.

You really are an Attacker because nothing should ever get close enough to kill you before they enter your highly extended frontline/threat-range. You should be able to find openings in between charger shots and weave in to murk them. Other weapons bow before you. You'll kill the whole team should they have the audacity to leave spawn.

Okay. Power-fantasy over. Let's take away those assumptions.

You're not that good. Maybe one day you will be. But I've accepted I'm never going to be that good. Let's be fair. Rounding corners? Standing on the frontline? Dancing in front of the enemy while you fumble two or three shots? You're putting yourself at undo risk attempting to lead the way seeking kills.

If you're good enough, go for it. Even I have a dream I will one day kill the enemy team single-handedly and never let them come back. But while I get there, I want to to win games. And now to my main point: the Bamboozler has a versatile kit at its disposal. It's more of a Supportive weapon than an Attacker and more of a Tactical weapon than a Supportive one.

So going down the list: I the Bamboozler fits a Controller a lot better than one might think. Its inking potential is amazing when there are long strips of open land to cover. Since you charge so quickly, once you get the rhythm down, you can cover huge amounts of turf, quickly, over barriers, from a safe distance.

Did I safe distance? I mean like a million miles away. You never want to be near the enemy if you can help it. I run Superjump Up so I can leave immediately and my fingers are always itchy to disappear if things are going south. I am not god-attacker. I don't try to be. I don't have to be.

Which brings me to the Supportive playstyle which I adapted when I started. When you're not busy inking an area and taking it back after a heavy firefight, laying down a supportive battlefield ink where your allies are fighting--that is, shooting above them--can give your team an edge in a skirmish.

Chargers will note that aiming around allies that are constantly moving is a gamble. Those playing as Defenders could lose their fear-factor, waste their shots and their precious time charging.

On the other hand, aiming above allies never misses and it's always helpful. Your enemies, unbeknownst to them, are fighting an unseen foe.

Your friendo has an out if they give up. Something they may have not noticed until it would have been too late. Ah! But it turns out they can squid away because there's a nice trail behind them. Now who left that?

But you want to help more? Let's say you get close enough, shooting over your Attacker and then ink the enemy's feet. Ever found you suddenly can't move in the middle firefight? You can make that happen. Make that happen. Let your Attacker have the glory. Just know you made it possible.

And maybe they fell in battle. Well. Suddenly you're an Attacker with a clear line of fire. If not? A curling bomb'll usually bounce around and cause the enemy undue stress, potentially flushing them out.

But I'm not done making a case for the Supportive playstyle. Let's look at your sub and special.

Curling bomb, yeah? Missles, yeah? @Dark Sage Walker is right. You're defenseless close range. These are terrible subs for people walking up to kill you. So uh. Stand behind people and use your subs. Run away if enemies are closing in. The living squid threatens longer. Don't try to play your weaknesses.

Hitting through allies is hard.

Aiming up inclines is hard.

But you still want to pressure and aide people, right? Walking up that ramp or getting side by side to your Attacker will likely get your defenseless buttock splatted.

No need to worry about a thing though. Just slide a curling bomb toward the firefight and make make it bounce. Make it bounce a lot. What you lose in inking, you gain in threat. People will jump away at the potential of instant death. That can put them in the sights of an Attacker or Defender waiting for an opportunity on your team. Often this is a much better option, even if it doesn't kill your opponent directly. Suck it up and know that the kill counts your allies get are as much their skill as yours.

If you're playing things right, you should be quite a ways back on the opponent. That means that your missile reticle is in a great location to threaten everyone. You're probably not going to kill them but hey? Time it right and your allies will.

Don't see everyone on the map? I personally like to jump back all the way to spawn then fire off when everyone's in position. It's a great time to take in the landscape and change your plans if need be.

Do note, you're not doing this to get kills--I doubt the missiles are ever about that--but to disrupt formations. A charger will have to move and stop threatening. A Carrier will have to abandon a safe position. Attackers will scurry in a less safe movement pattern. Use that. Let your allies use that. Scramble things up.

Wait until your allies are ready to take the zone. Ready to kill the RM. Ready to assault the tower. The added havoc you provide would be much better than trying to tapshot a heavily defended RM or shoot around the pole. Make them dance. Flush 'em out.

Remember, this mostly works because you're forever away from the front line. No need to retreat as far back as I would. You should already be at the right distance to fire off.

And of course, at the end of the day you're a charger. Defend. If all else fails, fall back, take the high ground and be what I never could be: a terror. Come out of a high perch or hiding spot and lovetap someone to death; it's really fast when you get it right.

Hold a position. Let people superjump back to you. You should be behind the current objective at all times, so ping them to let them know that jumping at the objective probably isn't a great plan when you're such a nicer option.

And finally... a Carrier. There comes a time in every weapon's life when you have to suck it up. You're the only one on the team and the only one alive because you were just barely in range. You need some points. Make the judgement call and kill yourself for that brief moment of value.

Carrier
is probably the Bamboozler's weakest role as you really don't have many options. On a Tower, unless you already control all the ground, you're not that terrifying. Your sub is terrible for holding it. Your special is worse-so.

As a RM you're just as bad as anyone else--all are the same under the golden fishie.

However, you can typically recognize that if
you're going on the objective, it's for some last-ditch few points. Maybe you're just a few off from turning an offensive game into a defensive one [you're only about one or two points off swinging the advantage your way]. Maybe it's the last few seconds of the game.

Know when to consign yourself to death. Dash madly into the enemy team with the RM. Dance stupidly around the pole. Shoot as much as you can at the zone. Sometimes they don't expect it. Most of the time, it'll grant you just a few more points. Hold things a few more seconds. Those can make a difference.

My point is, as a Bamboozler, you never don't have something to do. There's always a role you can take. Pay attention to your team and the map and you can always find something to do. Sometimes you're going to be more of a Support because that's what's needed; I know I usually am. Sometimes, you'll need to Defend and be a jumppoint. Sometimes you'll need to be an Attacker... even if that's impossible except in the grandest of dreams. And sometimes you'll need to die for a few more points.

I hope this strengthens the case for Bamboozler as more of a Tactical weapon than anything else. And, at the very least, more a Supportive weapon, rather than an Attacking one: this announcement brought to you from your resident Bamboozler who can't aim to save his life.

Join me next time when I make the argument for why @Vitezen is right about this being more about psychological profiles--or as I would put it, judgement calls--but that this is still a very, very useful thread.

Note: Apologies for using white whenever refering to tactical decisions. I'm sorry Squidboards Light users. But I wanted to keep in theme with OP.

EDIT: Just read ahead to @Award 's post. Aha. Glad someone else agrees.

Last edited:

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
@ReedRGale I don't really disagree with any point you brought up. But allow me to clarify mine before we shut the book on this.

When I mentioned that I thought the weapon was good in an attacking role, I never meant to say that anyone should have perfect aim. What I am meaning to say is that the fast charging speed of the weapon puts it in good position to attack with quick, high damage shots. Any shot that misses will, of course, leave that nice, long strip of ink for your allies to use or your enemies to trip over. I felt that none of that needed mentioning because it seems rather obvious to nearly obligatory in the case of how this game works.

Secondly, I understand what you mean by using the Curling Bombs and the Tenta Missiles to cause chaos and make things go south for the enemy. I am simply saying that they do leave a weakness that simply begs to be exploited and mentioned other possible kit ideas that would have fewer weaknesses to put to the test. A weapon with fewer weaknesses to exploit will win more games in the hands of a capable user in comparison to a weapon that has a glaring fault in the hands of an equally skilled user. I also point out the close range weakness because it is something to compensate for. Did I not mention in my original post that you don't want to be in close range? Like, ever? I'm not saying that I know everything. Far from it. What I am doing is sharing insight based upon my personal experiences with the weapon. Your experiences may vary from mine. We don't all have the same play style after all. That's what this thread is all about, discussing differing play styles. In my opinion, this is a good charger to pick up for someone who likes to be aggressive. But I do feel as though it is more for support than attacking. I thought I mentioned that in my original post as well. If I didn't, here it is.

Finally, remember that this is all hypothetical to begin with. You never know what the enemy team's composition will be. Maybe someone on their team will be just as good at the supporting role as you are and can cover up just as much as you paint. When something like this happens, it is good to have a plan B in case things go awry. This falls further into why I don't like the kit for the Bamboozler in this game. The current kit assumes that things will always go according to plan and your tactics are unbeatable. Unless you are saying that you are a tactical god, you must assume that there will be times in which you need a good plan B. Retreat isn't always an option. Sometimes you need to maintain your position in order to handle a threat until your team can come to your aide or perhaps you will be the one who has to halt an enemy's advance in order to continue to maintain your control. My point is that this weapon's kit is not suited for the idea of a plan B. Yes, you could always just grab the Rainmaker and charge gallantly into your inevitable end. But such things aren't always options. In such a fast paced game, no plan will ever be set in stone. Flexibility is what I am getting at. The current Bamboozler does not have much flexibility. Don't get me wrong, it isn't as bad as the H-3 was in Splatoon the original! It just isn't for me. If the kit works for you, then take it and run with it! It just doesn't turn my head and therefore I gave it a more personally honest analysis.

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
@Dark Sage Walker Huh. I think we're gonna have to agree to disagree. My argument is that it is a very flexible weapon.

I apologize if I was rude before. I was taking the Bamboozler to a hyperbole to prove a point that it can be used as an Attacker but that in general, putting yourself in harms way, according to the definition laid out in the beginning, is not always optimal unless you're truly devastating.

That said, having a weakness doesn't make you inflexible. The two concepts are not at odds. I can't attack from long range with a Splattershot, so I have a weakness to long range attacks... but that doesn't make me inflexible, per se. From what I hear its the most well-rounded weapon in the game. If those two things can coincide, then are weaknesses not just a part of every weapon that we should recognize and play around?

The Bamboozler can take on most roles and has a lot of options in most of them. That's the key factor. You can Attack if need be. You can Support if need be. You can Defend, if need be. You can Control, if need be. You can Carry ...if really need be.

In truth, as @Saber has hinted before, ultimately you want to be Tactical with all weapons. The proof is in the pudding: in solo queue you can't guarantee your allies' weapons or mindsets when playing. You said it before. You always have to adapt. You have to be ready to take on all roles, even if in theory it's sub-optimal. Even if it reveals your glaring weaknesses. If it furthers the objective in a utilitarian way, in practice there are times that you need to.

Knowing your options on all fronts is the key to climbing and improving, at least from what I see.

Everything is fallible in the end. My tactical decision-making isn't perfect. Your aim can't always be on-point. But on one end, I rely on mechanics and positioning to get kills and stifle the opponent. On the other, I have a number of options to take depending on the scenario, including but not limited to relying on my mechanics and position to get kills and stifle the opponent.

The inherent problem with 'Tactician' as a weapon 'role' per se, is that ultimately it just says 'you make decisions depending on the situation.' ...but of course you will. This is Splatoon; you have to change how you play depending on the situation.

Which brings me to the inherent problem. Labeling limits thinking and identify patterns. The idea of this thread is strong, but I feel like it's missing a key factor which is really shoehorning us into seeing weapons a certain way when really that's a dangerous pitfall. I prodded this before and I think my point is rather succinct, so I'll just say it here.

I'll continue my point in another spoilerbox because I know I'm longwinded.

To begin, I agree with @Vitezen to an extent. Its more prudent to think in terms of mindsets and when to switch from one playstyle to another midgame. Imagining the scenarios in which we have to play 'suboptimally' (for the weapon, if taken in a vacuum) can make a player more attuned to possibilities that could occur. Imagine how a Roller can play a Controller role. Or how a Charger can play a Carrier role. Or how a brush can play a Defender role.

It'll bring weaknesses to light and then you can learn to work with what you have, determine when it is 'necessary' to take on a different mindset, and Tactically make the correct decision in the moment.

But as for the reason this thread is still amazingly useful: it pinpoints what your strengths are and where you can expect to excel. Weapons do have general roles they want to take on. Understanding that beforehand can give you a forecast of a weapon's preferences, what you can expect to do when your team covers your weaknesses... and what you can expect you'll have a hard time doing when it comes to it that you need to be your off-role.

Which brings me to my only critique. Labeling weapons without recognizing that one will need to change their mindset midgame leads to dangerous thoughts...

This is my role. I am 'Attacker/Defender/Controller/Support/Carrier.' I play my role.

This type of thinking leads to thoughts like "I did my part, why can't others do theirs?" or "Well, we're all chargers, guess we lose by default." In reality, no matter the weapon, sometimes you're gonna find yourself in your off-role. Knowing your options, even where you don't excel, makes for a more flexible player and a healthier team.

Instead of a bunch of chargers all tripping over each other on that one ledge they all want, two spreading out and taking on Defender roles and two accepting their fate take on the Attacker roles. Because they may all be E-Liters, but they still want to win!

So, in the end, maybe the Bamboozler is less flexible than I make it out to be and, instead, all weapons have options in every position. We just need to look for what they are. Some are going to be better than one weapon or the other, but underneath it all, we shouldn't forget the basics:

Be what you need to be in the moment.

tl;dr: bamboozler is flexible; labeling weapons as a certain role is dangerous, i think it's best to see things in terms of mindsets instead; this thread is awesome because it points out the typical mindsets players will adapt when taking on a particular weapon.

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
@ReedRGale I think that is a fair point to bring up. No weapon necessarily fits into a specific box. There are certain kits with preferabl tactics attached therein, but ultimately it is up to the player to determine how to use said kits. I rather liked the aggressive Bamboozler kits in the first game, especially the Disruptors! Oh how I loved them! This set doesn't appeal to my tastes very well, but that illustrates your point rather well. My mindset while playing the weapon is an aggressive one. I like to take it into mid range and try to get work done from there. I also take on the defensive mindset more readily and often find myself holding my ground more often than not. For that role I prefer Splash Walls, Sprinklers, or Ink Mines (I love how they now act like Point Sensors when they detonate!). It puts me pretty squarely into the Defender mindset, so some of the things that you were mentioning are things that I don't often think about since I am usually focused on tagging the enemy. I'll have to keep working at it.

Ultimately, I agree that labeling weapons is a bad idea. It makes it so that everyone sees that weapon as something specific when the truth is that no weapon only does one specific thing (unless you're the Tenta Brella). It is possible, although not recommended, to use Ink Mines aggressively. Burst Bombs can work for long or short range coverage. Bouncy Splat Bombs can be thrown around corners to get to people. I've even gotten a couple of kills by throwing a Splash Wall out and having it deploy right on top of an enemy! What I am trying to get at through all those examples is that labeling weapons isn't a good idea, but rather it's the player's psychological profile that needs to be examined.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
@Dark Sage Walker @ReedRGale

You guys are starting to get it the weapon list I made up are predetermined mindset people have when going into a game.
Knowning them gives you a base idea how most people will play these weapons in a match (which is the main reason bambi stayed the same) as well the flaws in their mindset that a skilled player can exploit.

However that doesn't mean these are exactly how each weapon should be played nor the max potential each of these weapons have. Cause a good player can "Be what you need in the moment"

I had been waiting for players show how they go about using their weapons in a tactical manner, and I was really amazed by the points you guys brought out especially towards mindset I hope this helped clarify the method of my madness

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
@Saber

It isn't always easy to go the route of being what you need to be in the moment. During the Splatfest I often had to take the Fabulous into aggressive territory in order to secure turf. Doing things like that makes you appreciate Splash Walls even more. Using them somewhat offensively can be a real game changer!

On that point though, I find that the best question to ask yourself from a tactical standpoint is, "Will this force my opponent to make a decision?"

If you can disrupt their plans then you have effectively gotten into their head. Whether you secure the kill or not, they will be playing a bit differently and that can be something that other teammates can exploit if you don't or can't. On that note, Reed did bring up points about the current Bamboozler kit that I hadn't thought about. It will give me something to try out the next time I pick up the Bambi. Although I think the Custom E-Liter 4k is something I want to play with at the current moment.

This thread, I agree, isn't just about labeling weapons, but more so about player's psychology. I can't wait to see more analysis! Speaking of which, how would you define the Custom E-Liter now that it's a thing?

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
The custom e-liter kit fits a defender/ support type weapon imo, usually keeping a lot of distance as well as awareness of both allies and enemies , which I genuinely love.

However to my surprise this weapons bubbles are a not only a great shield but due to charger pierce (hit slightly at an angle between the bubbles) and sheer power of the eliter bubble explosions are quick and unpredictable making this special semi effective now.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
Technically I think the thread is kind of trying to merge two threads into one. I think the player profile analysis maybe a separate thread than the weapon list and how it fits into them (sort of.) To a degree I don't think there's a strong relation between the two. The player profile very well describes the different play styles and patterns people will have, and as @Saber already said, any weapon can be used as a tactical weapon. Yet some weapons are overwhelmingly ideal for the role due to their flexibility. But it may be an error to say "H3 is an attacker's weapon, eliter is a carrier, and carbon roller a defender" (yes I'm assigning the wrong roles on purpose.) since the nature of a tactician is to use any weapon in that role. Some will come out ahead of others as more able to do so. But few weapons can't be made to double to at least a few roles. But a few can really cover every role. The weapon list may be distracting from the actual psych profile player roles discussion a bit.

Bamboozler, including the current kit (though it's not my favorite kit either) is exceedingly flexible to any role, and excellently tactical. It's not a great weapon at any one role but it's flexibility and speed of adaptation to any position does make it possibly the very most flexible weapon in the game. I'm not maining it because I found a weapon that fits my tactical style even better (tuber) but it's among my mains I can cycle to. Tuber just has such a beautiful kit to fill any role and force the enemy to do what you want them to do so fantastically. Bamboozler is a little more reactive, and tuber a little more assertive. The laser sight doesn't hurt in intimidation and mind games, either :P But bambi might be a very close second. It has a different approach but is equally flexible. The ability to jump in and out of range instantly is great.

I'm still feeling flingza is a top tier tactical weapon. The more I play it the more tactical it feels. It's more subtle than the other two. But it can do with all other rollers fail to do: control enemy position at any distance while remaining a threat at any distance. I think it's the test weapon. If you can't think of how to make the flingza effective in any match, you're not in the tactical profile :)

Blasters definitely are since it's all about using and abusing the map to use your radius and positioning them where they need to be. And I'm revisiting inkbrush in the role. I'm finding with it's splat bombs kit it's really opening a lot of tactical approaches including support-by-manipulation that it never had. I feel it can use that better than the octobrush ever could. It requires precision but I'm finding my highest kill counts are routinely coming from playing brush. Though I still haven't taken it ranked/league. Soon!

For the "tactical" weapons, a better way to think about it might be "high skill floor weapons that are weak on the surface, but a tactically minded player can adapt their quirks into a powerful tool for a swiss-army approach to the point they become the most powerful tools for that play style over more obviously strong weapons."

Additionally anyone glory seeking for high kill counts isn't thinking tactically. Many times I find I'm corralling enemies into my team or separating them from theirs. I don't get an assist as I didn't necessarily lay ink on them. I just moved them to where they'd be vulnerable for someone else to pick off. Or made them dodge roll off a cliff. That never gets old. Filthy overused duelies.... :P Splatoon benefits a surprising amount of soft-power.

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
What @Award was saying about manipulating enemy movement via one method or another is something that I agree with whole-heartedly. You don't need a high kill count in order to be helpful on your team if you know how to force your enemies into dangerous positions with strategic bomb use or a well placed line of ink. This is why I tend towards the use of Toxic Mist or the Splash Wall on my weapons. Just because something doesn't do direct damage doesn't mean it isn't useful. Often times soft-power, as it was put, is highly more effective than the usual bum rush tactic! All it takes is one good Splash Wall to make the whole match turn.

D3RK

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-6389-5985-3965 Username:「Derk」
I have to agree with the Flingza Roller being a tactical weapon. It covers a lot of options well enough and can be played multiple ways depending on gear preferences or play styles. It can be played as a defensive support, an offensive weapon, or anywhere in between. I would honestly put in in the jack of all trades category, but I think that would just be me being biased as a Flingza main. It plays well in close combat situations and it's solid at boxing opponents out/controlling space. The splash wall sub and splat bomb rush is icing on the cake as they give a lot of defensive and offensive synergy to a weapon that thrives on that kind of unpredictability.

I use a couple of builds with the weapon currently: Thermal Ink and Ninja Squid. Thermal Ink is by far my favorite though since you can use your long range attacks to mark opponents for your team, then abuse your long flings to hit them around walls like a slosher. This gives your team a lot of support while you do what the weapon does well by boxing opponents out. You don't have to be the one to go super aggro this way, just focus on marking opponents, defending key spots, and securing vital splats when possible. Although I do enjoy playing extremely aggro when I have stage control, so I often mark someone from long range and then rush them from a completely different direction since I can keep track of them lol. It's really fun to be able to swap between defensive and hype aggressive play at will.

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
My play style with rollers is usually very aggressive. A change for me since I am a more defensive minded player. It's because of this preference in my roller play that I am rather bad with the Flingza Roller. I understand its use, don't get me wrong. But in the heat of the moment I will oftentimes fall back on my training, and much of my training comes from Splatoon the original where jumping towards your enemy with a roller swing was a great way to get some extra distance on your otherwise close ranged attacks. I can accept the fact that rollers now have the vertical swing, and on the Splat Rollers it often leads to some very interesting kills (Hammer time!). But the Flingza's slower vertical swing makes it difficult to keep that same play style. Jumping at someone to take a swing doesn't work very well with the slow swing speed of the Flingza's vertical. It's the same reason I don't really dig the Dynamo in this game.

"So why not just adjust your play style and not jump as much?"

I'm working on it. Old habits die hard. I spent many hours with the Rollers in Splatoon and had that strategy firmly planted in my head like an old tree. It'll take some time, but I do want to learn the weapon. That kit really speaks to me! Both Splash Wall and the Splat Bomb Launcher are tools I'd like to have in my arsenal! I agree with the sentiment that the weapon is a jack-of-all-trades and requires a more tactical approach overall. I can see the use, now I just need to practice it.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
My play style with rollers is usually very aggressive. A change for me since I am a more defensive minded player. It's because of this preference in my roller play that I am rather bad with the Flingza Roller. I understand its use, don't get me wrong. But in the heat of the moment I will oftentimes fall back on my training, and much of my training comes from Splatoon the original where jumping towards your enemy with a roller swing was a great way to get some extra distance on your otherwise close ranged attacks. I can accept the fact that rollers now have the vertical swing, and on the Splat Rollers it often leads to some very interesting kills (Hammer time!). But the Flingza's slower vertical swing makes it difficult to keep that same play style. Jumping at someone to take a swing doesn't work very well with the slow swing speed of the Flingza's vertical. It's the same reason I don't really dig the Dynamo in this game.

"So why not just adjust your play style and not jump as much?"

I'm working on it. Old habits die hard. I spent many hours with the Rollers in Splatoon and had that strategy firmly planted in my head like an old tree. It'll take some time, but I do want to learn the weapon. That kit really speaks to me! Both Splash Wall and the Splat Bomb Launcher are tools I'd like to have in my arsenal! I agree with the sentiment that the weapon is a jack-of-all-trades and requires a more tactical approach overall. I can see the use, now I just need to practice it.
You can still do the old jump-flick just like S1 rollers. Just be sure to start the flick BEFORE you jump instead of jumping before starting the flick. It's a little muscle memory retraining to avoid activating the vertical flick when you don't want to, but the same play method from S1 still actually , though the hitboxes are smaller and shorter range. Ultimately I find I don't use it too much for attacking, but I do use it for inking, especially with rollers other than flingza (doesn't make as much sense with flingza since the vert covers so much ground like a charger.) I tend to spam the verts like crazy, because it's so effective, only using horizontal to actually aim for the ohko.

Still get those accidental verts a bit too often though!

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
You can still do the old jump-flick just like S1 rollers. Just be sure to start the flick BEFORE you jump instead of jumping before starting the flick. It's a little muscle memory retraining to avoid activating the vertical flick when you don't want to, but the same play method from S1 still actually , though the hitboxes are smaller and shorter range. Ultimately I find I don't use it too much for attacking, but I do use it for inking, especially with rollers other than flingza (doesn't make as much sense with flingza since the vert covers so much ground like a charger.) I tend to spam the verts like crazy, because it's so effective, only using horizontal to actually aim for the ohko.

Still get those accidental verts a bit too often though!
Y'know, I was thinking about that just as I posted.

"Gee, wonder if you can just flick before you jump? Does that even work?"

Well I never said I wasn't an idiot! But that does give me more to think about when I do play the rollers. It's not like I haven't been practicing. I've gotten to the SUPERFRESH!! rank with the Krak-on and am working on it with the vanilla splat roller. This just gives me more to practice! Thanks, Award! :D

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I think I lean towards flanking weapons, like rollers, brushes and dualies. I also like supportive weapons, but in my opinion, there is no actual support weapons in Splatoon. My most played hero in Overwatch, for example, is Sombra, who is pretty much an flanker/support hybrid.

I mostly play chargers, though, because the concept of snipers draws me towards them, even though I mediocre at best at the role. I should most likely stop playing chargers, sticking to weapons I have a certain affinity with instead. I guess I am just a masochist.

Last edited:

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
I think I lean towards flanking weapons, like rollers, brushes and dualies. I also like supportive weapons, but in my opinion, there is no actual support weapons in Splatoon. My most played hero in Overwatch, for example, is Sombra, who is pretty much an flanker/support hybrid.

I mostly play chargers, though, because the concept of snipers draws me towards them, even though I mediocre at best at the role. I should most likely stop playing chargers, sticking to weapons I have a certain affinity with instead. I guess I am just a masochist.
Support weapons in splatoon kinda fall into a weird area, they are mainly weapon that can protect, alert or defend allies from on coming attackers, they don't heal, but they can keep allies in a fight for a long period of time if they are effective.
In terms of giving up snipers I do not recommend it, even if a weapon you play isn't good you can learn a lot from it and use it towards weapons you are better with.
You learn tracking and splash from blasters, hitscan and reads from chargers, patience from rollers, angle and hitmarkers from sloshers, falloff and how to win a game chicken from Splatling, and last but not least effective use of your surroundings from shooters and duleies

Also on the subject of OW Sombra, very impressive she isn't an easy character to use. I don't play it often outside of a fiend of mine's house but I usually use Zen, Lucio, or an Objective Hanzo (squiffer Hannity but I find it blows so many people's minds seeing me do it :D)

***Btw I finally updated the weapon list everyone and finally added the shooter class so be sure to check it out

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Support weapons in splatoon kinda fall into a weird area, they are mainly weapon that can protect, alert or defend allies from on coming attackers, they don't heal, but they can keep allies in a fight for a long period of time if they are effective.
In terms of giving up snipers I do not recommend it, even if a weapon you play isn't good you can learn a lot from it and use it towards weapons you are better with.
You learn tracking and splash from blasters, hitscan and reads from chargers, patience from rollers, angle and hitmarkers from sloshers, falloff and how to win a game chicken from Splatling, and last but not least effective use of your surroundings from shooters and duleies

Also on the subject of OW Sombra, very impressive she isn't an easy character to use. I don't play it often outside of a fiend of mine's house but I usually use Zen, Lucio, or an Objective Hanzo (squiffer Hannity but I find it blows so many people's minds seeing me do it :D)

***Btw I finally updated the weapon list everyone and finally added the shooter class so be sure to check it out
Well, the thing is, I am practical. Playing various weapons, at least for a while, is advantageous because you learn the basic ins and outs of the weapons you played, but I have played enough to understand what every weapon does, it is not like I am new to Splatoon. So the best approach to becoming a better player, in the long run, is to stick to a few weapons or even one weapon, although I would get bored fairly quickly.

I would give up on charges if I saw no future in playing the weapon. I am better with other weapons because I am more of an aggressive/supportive player, rather than the "hold defense/area denial kind". I do like playing chargers though, but I often finding myself going to deep in enemy territory, attempting to flank as a charger player. Which results in failure more often than not.

Considering natural affinities, if one is to believe in such thing, I should probably stick to rollers, brushes, dualies and perhaps I could fit in the .52 Gal in there, too (really fun weapon, imo). The thing is, I think being a roller main is super lame. :scared: No offense to roller mains.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
Well, the thing is, I am practical. Playing various weapons, at least for a while, is advantageous because you learn the basic ins and outs of the weapons you played, but I have played enough to understand what every weapon does, it is not like I am new to Splatoon. So the best approach to becoming a better player, in the long run, is to stick to a few weapons or even one weapon, although I would get bored fairly quickly.

I would give up on charges if I saw no future in playing the weapon. I am better with other weapons because I am more of an aggressive/supportive player, rather than the "hold defense/area denial kind". I do like playing chargers though, but I often finding myself going to deep in enemy territory, attempting to flank as a charger player. Which results in failure more often than not.

Considering natural affinities, if one is to believe in such thing, I should probably stick to rollers, brushes, dualies and perhaps I could fit in the .52 Gal in there, too (really fun weapon, imo). The thing is, I think being a roller main is super lame. :scared: No offense to roller mains.
Sticking to a few is better than one, but I still prefer being avgerage at all weapons than being a master of 1, again that is just the mentality I have developed from my expereiences in the first game, mainly cause meta shift pretty often, and honestly it does help me play to be of the most benefit to help my team and predict enemy players.
" It a little bit of a good at everything but master of none way if thinking but I enjoy it and have improved greatly from the first game in comparison .

About chargers being a defensive weapon....
Honestly playing chargers defensively is boring and you are predictable , one the other hand flanking chargers risk being vulerable, however playing this weapon tactically you can choose where you want the battle to take place and imo makes charger class overall more enjoyable.
In this vid I see where the focus is, in this case my team was on their ramp and see where you can fit into a blind spot, also as you notice the players were all concerned about objective first so they put all attention towards that instead of focusing on me. (Though I really shouldn't have surivied any of that)

Lastly rollers tbh are really boring in some aspects, (sharking get old quick) but I find playing the carbon has been very entertaining for me, mainly cause you can use autobombs and inkstorm to manipulate them into moving how you want them to.
Or just walk around and flick-splat people it seems to work for some reason....

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Sticking to a few is better than one, but I still prefer being avgerage at all weapons than being a master of 1, again that is just the mentality I have developed from my expereiences in the first game, mainly cause meta shift pretty often, and honestly it does help me play to be of the most benefit to help my team and predict enemy players.
" It a little bit of a good at everything but master of none way if thinking but I enjoy it and have improved greatly from the first game in comparison .

About chargers being a defensive weapon....
Honestly playing chargers defensively is boring and you are predictable , one the other hand flanking chargers risk being vulerable, however playing this weapon tactically you can choose where you want the battle to take place and imo makes charger class overall more enjoyable.
In this vid I see where the focus is, in this case my team was on their ramp and see where you can fit into a blind spot, also as you notice the players were all concerned about objective first so they put all attention towards that instead of focusing on me. (Though I really shouldn't have surivied any of that)

Lastly rollers tbh are really boring in some aspects, (sharking get old quick) but I find playing the carbon has been very entertaining for me, mainly cause you can use autobombs and inkstorm to manipulate them into moving how you want them to.
Or just walk around and flick-splat people it seems to work for some reason....
Understandable. I do not follow meta, so the meta shifting is not a concern for me.

Interesting video and good job. I find myself deep in enemy territory, in "unsafe" positions, fairly often. It does make playing chargers more dynamic and fun, but I question if that is the ideal way of playing the class.

Speaking of weapons, can I have a Sloshing Machine with a special that isn't Sting Ray? I really don't like that special, I would take even Ink Armor over it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom