plaza post (and twitter integration) changes

Cephalobro

I can say this at last and I have been waiting to say it for such a long time: F I N A L L Y!

This is the best news I heard all day, hopefully, posts from more lesser-known players will show up and allow you to know if your post really went through. At least that's what I want to happen. Really, the only reason why I simply don't post on the plaza anymore is due to not knowing if my post is visible to others.

Last edited:

sevenleaf

Pro Squid
Pronouns
they/he
Switch Friend Code
SW-5819-4806-4093
i wonder how the Posting algorithm will work after twitter integration is severed?

very glad you don't have to be twitter famous to have your posts show up. i wonder how much creative stuff has been hiding on private or unknown accounts all this time. i'm just curious now how the game will determine which posts to show you after this change, y'know? i assume hitting the Fresh! button will influence it but besides that idk

anyway, time to practice drawing on the post maker 👍

Cephalobro

A positive thing (which I hope it's the case) is that my OCs will likely be known to more people once I depict them in the actual drawings. Imagine how great that will make me feel.

DzNutsKong

Inkling Cadet
I never understood why you absolutely needed an X (formerly Twitter) account to post these... Most of my X (formerly Twitter) followers don't care about Splatoon and I don't want to fill their timeline with as much nonsense they don't care about as I would if it didn't have this limitation. Like the drawing software is in the game already, and the process of posting it has nothing to do with X (formerly Twitter) unless the devs decide to manually tie the two together for no reason, and yet that's what they did anyways.

So, good change.

isaac4

Inkling Cadet
Having to post on Twitter shouldn't have even been required to begin with, I have no idea why they chose to make it work like that.
It's definitely a good thing that it's being removed but I also liked the option to post clips and pictures immediately to Twitter, but I also hate how the site is now so it's not that big of a deal.
It's really weird that they're also removing the ability to post SSBU screenshots to the NSO app. It just seems like such a weird change to include?

Cephalobro

I say good riddance to X and Facebook for this, many of the posts in the plaza were clearly toxic and weren't removed because Nintendo didn't have the power to remove them directly.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
I really hope this means the next console will have a miiverse-like system
I doubt that will happen. The reason Nintendo dropped Miiverse was because they wanted you to post on other social media platforms as a way of doing their marketing for them. Miiverse was entirely insular, only other Wii U owners are looking at it, which makes it a black hole for word-of-mouth.

I remember when the PS4's Share button was first revealed, and was seen as a laughingstock. Turned out to quite possibly be the system's killer app as #PS4Share became one of the most popular hashtags on the platform. I think that played a large part in Nintendo's decision to kill Miiverse, they saw what Sony was doing and wanted their userbase to start doing the same thing.

But now that every major corporate social media platform is thoroughly enshittified and can no longer be effective word-of-mouth at the push of a button, I don't know where Nintendo goes from here. Of course since I'm the big evangelist for decentralized federated platforms, I'd like to dream about them embracing ActivityPub... but I don't actually think that'll happen. I'm just not sure what does happen, but I really really really doubt it'll be any kind of Miiverse revival.

catgirlinspace

Inkling
Pronouns
she/it
Switch Friend Code
SW-7547-4934-8099
I say good riddance to X and Facebook for this, many of the posts in the plaza were clearly toxic and weren't removed because Nintendo didn't have the power to remove them directly.
Yes they did? There's an entire reporting flow. Just because they were also posted to Twitter/Facebook doesn't mean Nintendo had no moderation, and iirc there's been examples of posts being removed by Nintendo.

TOD13

Senior Squid
Pronouns
he/him
finally, people might actually see my posts. i better come up with some post ideas for the next Splatfest...

sevenleaf

Pro Squid
Pronouns
they/he
Switch Friend Code
SW-5819-4806-4093
i'm just curious now how the game will determine which posts to show you after this change, y'know? i assume hitting the Fresh! button will influence it but besides that idk
continuing to think about this. i’m with @Snowball on wanting Miiverse 2 but also with @missingno on not getting my hopes up

except hear me out. OG miiverse was around before social media got quite the way it is now, and now that standard social media is Like This it’s the perfect time to take advantage of people’s disillusionment with it to draw attention to Miiverse 2. nintendo are you listening. its so dark in here

for splatoon 3 i feel the most likely scenario is that it’s totally random what shows up in your plaza, except for maybe Fresh! ratings making something more likely to show up in others’ plazas? i’m keeping my expectations low here - i kinda don’t expect a huge revamp for how posting works. it’d be nice too to see how many Fresh! ratings your posts got (number go up :D) after the change but again, not getting my hopes up.

i wonder if there will be more substantial changes in the mythical Splatoon 4? like, stuff like:
  • some sort of algorithm to show you posts in line with what you’ve liked before. would have the added bonus of making it so i never have to see anyone online complain about how their plaza’s posts don’t cater to them again lol. i just don’t really know how this would work… hashtags? text fields? half-explained AI that’s gonna make artists nervous about making posts?
  • a way to follow users whose posts you like seeing? conversely, a way to block users whose posts you don’t want to see
  • uhhh i thought i had more but that’s all i got actually. feel free to add on and speculate with me 👍

catgirlinspace

Inkling
Pronouns
she/it
Switch Friend Code
SW-7547-4934-8099
i wonder how the Posting algorithm will work after twitter integration is severed?
even currently I feel like Twitter interactions are probably weighted pretty lightly if it all. I'd imagine it's all/mostly based on "Fresh!" interactions and player history with previous posts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom