• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Pokken Tournament Social Thread

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Wow, that's gonna suck when facing players who intentionally want to play like that.

Meanwhile, anyone else want in on a Squidboards vs code?

ThatSquidYouKnow

Inkling Commander
NNID
link12014
Switch Friend Code
SW-0194-3194-0146
I cant right now, but I might be able to tommorrow.

Nero86

Inkling Cadet
NNID
nero86
I think I'm going to get this game at Saturday (tomorrow's holiday in my country) and I confess I'm really excited from what I've seen on the internet. I have two questions:

1) What did you guys think about the game content? Is it enough to keep you motivated for months? I'm a bit sad from what Capcom delivered us on Street Fighter V so I'm afraid of getting another crap-beta game.
2) Tekken players, is there any "Mishima Style" pokemon to play? :D

Thanks!

ThatSquidYouKnow

Inkling Commander
NNID
link12014
Switch Friend Code
SW-0194-3194-0146
1) What did you guys think about the game content? Is it enough to keep you motivated for months? I'm a bit sad from what Capcom delivered us on Street Fighter V so I'm afraid of getting another crap-beta game.
I'm only gonna answer this question because I've never played a Tekken game before.

It all depends. If you are really wanting to get competetive, get involved with the community (/r/PokkenGame btw) then yeah, it will last you a long time and is worth it. If you're just getting it to have fun in the single player and when you have friends come over, it'll probably last you 3 weeks. It all depends on what you do with the game. Hope this helps. :D

Nero86

Inkling Cadet
NNID
nero86
I'm only gonna answer this question because I've never played a Tekken game before.

It all depends. If you are really wanting to get competetive, get involved with the community (/r/PokkenGame btw) then yeah, it will last you a long time and is worth it. If you're just getting it to have fun in the single player and when you have friends come over, it'll probably last you 3 weeks. It all depends on what you do with the game. Hope this helps. :D
Thanks! I'm a big fan of both Pokemon and Tekken, not a pro player of course but me and my wife are somewhat enthusiasts. Does that league stuff is cool? Like a common Street Fighter arcade mode?
I'll check /r/PokkenGame, thanks for the suggestion!

ThatSquidYouKnow

Inkling Commander
NNID
link12014
Switch Friend Code
SW-0194-3194-0146
If you and your wife like it, then go ahead and get it. I recommend playing through the tutorial before getting into anything else. The league is, eh. I'm on the red league right now, but it's really tedious and the AI is so predictable you can just sandbag them. Pikachu AI? It's gonna spam ___ move.Gengar? It's gonna spam ___. You get the idea. There are 3 stages to each league. The first one is League matches. This is the worst part by far. You have to fight 5 cpus in a row, and none of them are even remotely fun to fight against. And to add a pinch of salt, they make you do it 3 times or more. Then comes tournament, which is basically the same as league matches but with somewhat better cpus, then a promotion test, then a random Shadow Mewtwo fight that's rigged, so don't even try to beat him, and they just rinse and repeat. You'd be better off playing locally with your wife.

Nero86

Inkling Cadet
NNID
nero86
If you and your wife like it, then go ahead and get it. I recommend playing through the tutorial before getting into anything else. The league is, eh. I'm on the red league right now, but it's really tedious and the AI is so predictable you can just sandbag them. Pikachu AI? It's gonna spam ___ move.Gengar? It's gonna spam ___. You get the idea. There are 3 stages to each league. The first one is League matches. This is the worst part by far. You have to fight 5 cpus in a row, and none of them are even remotely fun to fight against. And to add a pinch of salt, they make you do it 3 times or more. Then comes tournament, which is basically the same as league matches but with somewhat better cpus, then a promotion test, then a random Shadow Mewtwo fight that's rigged, so don't even try to beat him, and they just rinse and repeat. You'd be better off playing locally with your wife.
Hah I'm gonna try this league grind to check what's up but it doesn't sound THAT fun as I thought. Is there story mode to see characters cutscenes (like tekken ending scenes for example)?

And about the leveling? Does that changes something in your character or is it like Splatoon level that just increases the count as you play?

Thanks

ThatSquidYouKnow

Inkling Commander
NNID
link12014
Switch Friend Code
SW-0194-3194-0146
As far as I know the league is the story mode. The only char with cutscenes other than the opening cutscene is shadow mewtwo, if I'm not mistaken. The leveling allows you to raise stats, but it's basically useless in my experience.

Nero86

Inkling Cadet
NNID
nero86
As far as I know the league is the story mode. The only char with cutscenes other than the opening cutscene is shadow mewtwo, if I'm not mistaken. The leveling allows you to raise stats, but it's basically useless in my experience.
To play online properly you must upgrade your monster until certain level like the normal pokemon game?

Rockenberg

CEO of Rockenberg
NNID
Rockenberg_Ltd
I have some online Chandelure matches I plan uploading, I'll probably post them here, too. But for Shadow Mewtwo, I hate playing others who use him. Simply because I don't have a strategy for fighting against him, but I think when a Pokken update comes out, they'll probably nerf him. You never know.

ThatSquidYouKnow

Inkling Commander
NNID
link12014
Switch Friend Code
SW-0194-3194-0146
To play online properly you must upgrade your monster until certain level like the normal pokemon game?
No, almost everything is unlocked immediately except for mewtwo, shadow mewtwo, some support pokemon, and some clothes

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Haven't had the chance to test it out. But I'm guessing that if we all use the same VS code, we'll be matched with other users of that code if we're in game at the same time.

That about right?

ThatSquidYouKnow

Inkling Commander
NNID
link12014
Switch Friend Code
SW-0194-3194-0146
Yeah, if we all use the code: Pokken at the same time, we'll all be paired with each other.

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Spent less than a workday with the game so far. Need to get over the fear of defeat and relax.

This Monday and Tuesday I will try to put in a couple hours starting around GMT 1/2am. Would anyone like to join me?

ThatSquidYouKnow

Inkling Commander
NNID
link12014
Switch Friend Code
SW-0194-3194-0146
It'd be pretty hard, but I'll try to make it. What'll the vs code be?

Ansible

Community Ambassador
I'm slowly getting the hang of Discord, so hit me up on there or we can just chat via this thread. Let's go ahead with the vs code: squiddo

My invitation extends to everyone.

But don't push yourself. There are no obligations.

I figure whenever anyone is feeling a little sociable we might as well foster an occasional get-together to chat, train, spar, and relax while playing Pokken. It can offer up a chance to improve each other's skills and test out ideas without having to do so alone in training mode or while under pressure.

And is it me, or does the fact that there's also a win/loss record in friendlies make some players almost as thirsty as in ranked? So far at had a higher letter be a complete jerk in trying to go for the perfect both rounds and another higher letter ragequit because he wouldn't get the win to force a third round. =/

Last edited:

Nero86

Inkling Cadet
NNID
nero86
Got it at friday, nice game. Gathered friends (pokemon fans) in some hours we made it until Chroma League. As @ThatSquidYouKnow said earlier, the cpu's AI is easy and exploitable, we did reach that league without too much effort.
The game is a fun and easier Tekken, changing phases was a nice idea to make the game more solid than most of anime games (naruto, dbz, &c) are. Many friends weren't fighting game fans and were able to learn it fast.

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Started late and forgot vs codes are shorter than our trainer names. Will be using squiddo from here on.

ThatSquidYouKnow

Inkling Commander
NNID
link12014
Switch Friend Code
SW-0194-3194-0146
Okay. I played tf2 for the first time ever yesterday so I forgot all about it. >_>

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom