• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Pokken Tournament Social Thread

Captain Norris

Inkling Commander
That a good thing or a bad thing?

Other than 3DS, the WiiU is the only other Nintendo console I've had since the SNES.
This is a great thing for the most part. It means more installments at least. Probably more characters, but hopefully they leave off the gimmicky side of Mario Kart and just keep making the games great.

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
I just got this game yesterday, it's fun but I'm REALLY bad at it. I've never played a fighting game before except for Smash Bros, and I already get confused and mixed up with the small moveset is sm4sh, and this game has so many weird moves and combos that I can't do. I won my first online match somehow, but then I lost 2, won 1, and now I can't win again. I played a 12 matches with my brother who hadn't played it at all before that, and he won 3 of the matches, so I guess I finally found a game genre that I'm really bad at (I'm fairly good at almost every game I play). It's still fun, but I wish I could be better at it.

Anyways, does anyone have some tips for being better at this game? And I'm using Chandlure as my main.

ThatSquidYouKnow

Inkling Commander
NNID
link12014
Switch Friend Code
SW-0194-3194-0146
nah, not the laser. Field phase, side y homing attack whenever opponent gets close overheat. Well, if you want to have fun you should try out libre, he's really fun to play as.

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
nah, not the laser. Field phase, side y homing attack whenever opponent gets close overheat. Well, if you want to have fun you should try out libre, he's really fun to play as.
I do go to the side while shooting with y, but duel phase always comes really fast, so that isn't really that effective. Usually I do that until I hit them with the laser, then do the laser a few times, then try to do hex or a charged strong attack since it hits all of the floor. Then when they get close, I try to do the spinning thing in the air, and then do up+y (I learned that from the combo dojo, but it's the only one I'm really able to remember). I don't think I've ever used overheat, but it does seem pretty good to use, since it does a ton of damage. Sometimes I get the enemy down to around 50 and then start doing awful and they combo me from full to death. Also, what stats should I be going for? I'm just doing them all evenly right now. And what supports should I use? I'm usually using either frogadier or rotom.

ThatSquidYouKnow

Inkling Commander
NNID
link12014
Switch Friend Code
SW-0194-3194-0146
I don't know much about Chandelure, but I think that you would benefit from having Reshiram as a support. Stats will most likely be banned in competetive play, but just go with whatever suits your play style. I main Weavile,and I play really aggresively with him/her so I leveled attack up a lot. We could play some matches right now if you feel like it.

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
We can do matches in like, 20-30 minutes, I'm (trying to be) doing Science homework right now. You'll probably win them all though :p

ThatSquidYouKnow

Inkling Commander
NNID
link12014
Switch Friend Code
SW-0194-3194-0146
I don't really have 30 minutes lol. It's fine tho. I would probably lose because I really struggle against Chandelure so I get really salty whenever I see a Chandelure main. :P

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
I don't really have 30 minutes lol. It's fine tho. I would probably lose because I really struggle against Chandelure so I get really salty whenever I see a Chandelure main. :p
I don't even know that much about pokémon, I just chose Chandllure since he looked cool XD I didn't know he was an unfair character.

ThatSquidYouKnow

Inkling Commander
NNID
link12014
Switch Friend Code
SW-0194-3194-0146
just unfair against weavile. Weavile is unfair against everyone else. :P

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Just picked up game earlier tonight. Only had time to do the tutorials. Next session I think I'll just go ahead and throw myself into rank--get the jitters and deafeatist newb blues out of the way immediately.

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
I got a little better. I beat red rank, mew two gave me a little trouble but then I killed him really easily somehow. I got up to a 50% win rate (5/10) and E4 rank. I tried charging the laser, since it does a ton of damage from far away. Then, in duel, I use flame/smog to lower their stats, then use hex, which deals over 200 damage, since it does more damage when you lower enemy stats, and flame/smog reduce attack/defense, so you can do tons of damage!

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
I want to get this game. Is the roster really only 12? That's weak as hell if you ask me. That's low for a fighting game, not to mention a fighting game based on a franchise with like SEVENHUNDRED OPTIONS to choose from. Think there'll be any DLC packs?

I played the arcade before (dat tokyo lifeee) and I was pretty bad at it. But it was fun! I only got to try out Gengar, and Suicune. But I got destroyed by my friend who doesnt even play video games. She's Japanese. THAT EXPLAINS IT. THERES NO OTHER EXPLANATION]difnglsdfknbv

anyway. I may pick it up on my next paycheck. I just don't know if it will keep my interest for very long with so few fighters. :/ thoughts on this from those who own it?

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
They bumped the roster up to sixteen when they ported over to the console. I haven't seen anything official yet regarding dlc, but a lot of people are hankering for it.

I'm still getting my feet wet on it and trying to figure out how to spar people on my friends list as it doesn't look like you can set up lobbies but instead use some sort of battlecode... huh?

*rummages for manual*

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
It has 14 fighters at the start and you're able to unlock mew two, but I believe no DLC has been planned yet. It's kinda hard (it was for me) to get used to the controls, so you'll lose a lot online first. There's a training room that teaches you every move and some combos my showing them off and then allowing you to practice them, so it helps you learn. But even when you lose, it's still fun to play!

Terabyte

Inkling Commander
NNID
PokeBoy99
This game looks really interesting. I wish I had enough money, but unfortunately right now I'm broke. xD

I'm not personally a big fan of the roster, but Chandelure is all I need honestly. I'm pumped that it was added in. ^^

Silverflame

Inkster Jr.
NNID
kris4490
im absolute addicted that moment that u do an awesome combo and try to do it again. i work with pikachu,lucario,weavile,and mewtwo

Chaos_Knight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Cha0sKnight
So you guys know how people say Shadow Mewtwo is OP? (And they literally say it in-game too)

This is truly why.

Silverflame

Inkster Jr.
NNID
kris4490
well in my opinion i really dont care i mean yeah shadow has some op abilities but thats for people who just spam stuff i play like any other charater

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom