• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Rollers - for beginners?

Twilord

Senior Squid
NNID
Twilord
I feel that rollers may be intended for beginners. They're fun and very engaging but I've noticed one skilled shooter can do A LOT against a team of rollers.

Pivi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
HeroPivi
Yeah, from what I'm gathering, Rollers are like how Bowser was when Smash 4 was new, really big and cool at first but when you put it under actual pressure it'll crumple.

Excited to see pro roller players though, but all the people using rollers because theyre easy will get dunked by a half decent gun user.

EvilPinkamina

Inkling
NNID
EvilPinkamina
Rollers would probably be quite good with their own bubble power up, and maybe some ink grenades. The current set up for rollers doesn't seem to be at the peak of what it can be.

ndayadn

yeah
NNID
Seabass
Nah.
certain maps, yes, which I find really interesting.

I forget the names of the maps somehow but in the one you can fall off it's almost necessary imo. Tons of halls and open areas and a roller can destroy any progress made.

the other map is def not for a team of rollers lol. You will just consistently get pushed back, but if you do cross that midsection, again, you can do serious work. One game I made a push in the last minute and had their entire spawn inked. was great ha.

Also, consistently in the top place for my team each time. There's no doubt the thing covers a ton of area, only other wep I saw get close was the box looking one (sorry, only used the roller!)

Twilord

Senior Squid
NNID
Twilord
Nah.
certain maps, yes, which I find really interesting.

I forget the names of the maps somehow but in the one you can fall off it's almost necessary imo. Tons of halls and open areas and a roller can destroy any progress made.

the other map is def not for a team of rollers lol. You will just consistently get pushed back, but if you do cross that midsection, again, you can do serious work. One game I made a push in the last minute and had their entire spawn inked. was great ha.

Also, consistently in the top place for my team each time. There's no doubt the thing covers a ton of area, only other wep I saw get close was the box looking one (sorry, only used the roller!)
Hmmm... once people started gettng to grips with it I actually felt the map with more corridors seemed like the worse one for rollers. Felt like it was lining them up for inking.

BoTalksGames

Pro Squid
Content Team
NNID
BjFauble
Definitely the best to start out with. It's going to be like how Kirby is used by most Smash noobs. I liked it but overtime I think the Splattershot will become the fan favorite.

ndayadn

yeah
NNID
Seabass
I think atm people don't know how to deal with W+M1 roller, too

in terms of killing people, it felt like for noobs they'll see it coming and freak out. just like tf2 pyro though, good and smart play will come from flanking enemies since rushing is not going to work.

FlareHabanero

Increases the Excitement
Roller is going to be most useful for Turf Wars. Can't argue with how much ink it can spread. Other cases though, Roller is going to be key for momentum control. Turn into squids and moveout!

luigisly

Full Squid
The mobility of the roller is still very good since you're always running on your color of ink. Quick flanks will definitely be possible and the roller is hard to catch in certain areas because of the mobility.

Ryuho

Pro Squid
NNID
FurryRyuho
Seems like a good learning weapon to me because it does seem it takes less thought than the others I tried. It's pretty affective at inking a lot of area and can be scary when you see someone running at you with it but if the other player sees it coming it pretty easy to prepare for. Really fun though. Shield will make it even more effective in the full game

lobotheduck21

Inkling
NNID
AntwonGodefroy
I think roller is the best option for a beginner, because it is a great killing and covering tool

As people said, with the shield, roller is going to be great

ggdeku

Inkling
NNID
GameBOI
The roller has the lowest skill floor, but I can see it being very effective on good teams. What the demo convinced me of is that a team composition and class/role play is going to be extremely important. If our hour (so far) of Splatoon is any indication, I think the roller will be a viable part of the overall team.

Geistbox

Full Squid
Rollers have a low skill floor but a relatively high skill ceiling.

They're easy to use when covering the field and people approaching them intent to kill are usually the first ones to get splatted.

That said, they move slowly, don't have particularly good grenades, are heavily susceptible to flanking and Killer Wail isn't a particularly good Special Weapon. It feels like they get that weapon because they're pretty ill equipped to handle regular kills, and only get them because many people feed into the deathmatch mentality and charge head on. My last game was an all-Splatshooter team vs all-Roller and we completely dominated the opposition.

Terabyte

Inkling Commander
NNID
PokeBoy99
I wouldn't be surprised for Rollers to be widely used, especially for beginners. I feel like they'll be good for a while but once we all improve and learn some new things then they'll be just as balanced if not worse.

Edit: I haven't played the demo yet, I'm just going by what I've seen and what others have said.

Fate

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Fate684
For Turf War and any future modes with a wide area of coverage needed I see rollers always being good, although a team of them is obviously going to be lacking compared to a varied one. I do see it being a popular beginner weapon, but even with the short test it was pretty obvious there was a skill gap between people good with it vs those that aren't and I'm not too sure it's even a good choice for beginners as it's easy to take out rollers who don't know what they're doing. On the other hand, I felt the roller was pretty dominating when using it myself if there was only one other at most on the team using it and it got me top points with a high number of enemy splatters every match I used it in besides one that I got 2nd to a splatter jr, while the other weapons my performance was a lot more varied.

Granted we're all beginners currently, but certain skills can carry over from other games and it felt like a lot of roller users just kept getting splatted because they didn't know how to approach or run away properly.

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
This what I was thinking as well. The rollers are really easy to use but their disadvantages are just enough to make it balanced.

Nico Nico Sleep

Pro Squid
I've really been analyzing playstyles that are included with each set of weapons and weapons themselves. The roller can be considered a "player-friendly" but it's clear that if an opponent has even a slight spike in skill, they can likely win with any weapon. Walking with a roller is slow, and inking is a necessity. Trying to run into the front lines as a roller can lead you into incredibly dangerous situations where your only option is to retreat or face consequences.The roller, however, has it's own high-skill tricks. It's a clutch weapon. In the final minute or seconds of the game, using a roller to roll throughout areas unattended (like random spawn areas). This shows the obvious skill gap between beginner splat players and more technical ones.

Zoot

Inkling Commander
NNID
IveGotAMegaphone
Trying to run into the front lines as a roller can lead you into incredibly dangerous situations where your only option is to retreat or face consequences.
This has made me wonder about whether the roller is best on the front lines or at the back. You'd think as it's effectively a melee weapon the best option would be to dash straight into your opponents, but that just doesn't work. I guess this is one of the strange things about Splatoon!

Geistbox

Full Squid
This has made me wonder about whether the roller is best on the front lines or at the back. You'd think as it's effectively a melee weapon the best option would be to dash straight into your opponents, but that just doesn't work. I guess this is one of the strange things about Splatoon!
Roller is a support type weapon so there's no specific approach to it. You have to weave in and out to use it the most effectively, mostly cause starting off you're just laying groundwork for the team but after that it's more about covering ground.

They're easy to get around however, and they're not really that equipped for kills. They're susceptible to grenades for one thing and the Killer Wail special move is clearly given to it so it has an easier time to kill (as it doesn't cover ink). If you're in to kill a roller, you have to flank and sneak around them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom