• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Salmon Run Open Permanently?

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Seriously? The game just came out, I had no reason to sign up until today because I was searching why salmon run was only avail tue and thur, and this post popped up.

Some adults in this world work, it's really a shock that the OP and myself actually work but want to play SR and we are two different people!? /shocking!

You don't look at your posts as attacks but they are because they don't help the question whatsoever. People have every right in the world to voice their frustration with a mode they would like to play but can't in a game they paid 60 bucks for. Stop fanboying so hard and just admit that we have a point, because we do.
Try a little harder if you're going to sockpuppet, because this is REALLY obvious. As it stands, for an "adult" you sure are getting worked up about a mode in a video game, on top of ignoring even the most polite dissent shown in this thread. This is not a hill worth dying for.

Also, multi-posts and alternate accounts are prohibited by the forum rules.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
Seriously? The game just came out, I had no reason to sign up until today because I was searching why salmon run was only avail tue and thur, and this post popped up.

Some adults in this world work, it's really a shock that the OP and myself actually work but want to play SR and we are two different people!? /shocking!

You don't look at your posts as attacks but they are because they don't help the question whatsoever. People have every right in the world to voice their frustration with a mode they would like to play but can't in a game they paid 60 bucks for. Stop fanboying so hard and just admit that we have a point, because we do.
Lol, I work too. Just said it's convenient you both work shifts most people don't.

Ever heard of the saying "Doth protest too much"? Just saying, sometimes things seem "fishy". Not saying anything finite.

Yes, everyone has a right to voice their opinion, there is nothing wrong with that. But when people explain why something is the way it is, and you dismiss it for no reason other than stubbornness, then it becomes less and less about expressing an opinion and more of a pity party.

You need to learn what the difference between an attack and criticism are.

Joasa

Depressed Squid
A distressingly common problem in this day and age.
Well you could try to be nicer to people. You kind of are... well... a jerk to a lot of people. I know you say it's criticism but you criticize everything everyone says and I can understand why people get fed up with this, myself included. Maybe if you would just lay low and stop looking down at everyone as stupid inferior specimens then there would be less drama. Just try being nice for once. It wouldn't kill you, would it?

StarSol

Inkster Jr.
NNID
StarSol
With that said, everything has been said about why it is the way it is, and you have yet to budge. So, this post was clearly made so that you and people that agree with you could circle jerk about how dumb of a move you thought it was. Was it a grade A decision on their part? Absolutely not, but there are plenty of reasons they did it, many of which have been brought up in this thread multiple times. Do you really think Nintendo decided to put a time wall on this because "lol, wouldn't it be funny if we locked a game mode behind a time wall"? They had their reasons clearly, be it balance, matchmaking, queue times whatever, they implemented it for a reason. You may not like it, but it's there for a reason.
Which totally defeats the purpose of feedback? We're just to accept everything at face value and pretend that these cases don't cause dissatisfaction? Can I deal with time restraints? Sure, but to be limited to almost every other 4 days? That's ridiculous is really all I'm saying. That's way too scarce for an entire game mode and I've only stated that I personally think it should change.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
Which totally defeats the purpose of feedback? We're just to accept everything at face value and pretend that these cases don't cause dissatisfaction? Can I deal with time restraints? Sure, but to be limited to almost every other 4 days? That's ridiculous is really all I'm saying. That's way too scarce for an entire game mode and I've only stated that I personally think it should change.
No, you're not to just "accept it". But, there's a difference in "accepting it" and "understanding it". You can be dissatisfied with something, but if there's a logical reason behind it, then despite being dissatisfied, you can at least understand why. But that does not seem to be what you're doing at all.

It's also not restricted to every other 4 days. It's every other day. It not lining up with your exact schedule is not "restricted to every 4 days".

Obviously it's your personal opinion on the matter, that was never in question. My only "problem" here is that despite perfectly viable reasons being presented to you, you just repeat the same thing all over. So, as I said previously, it becomes less and less of "feedback", and more of a pity party. I understand wanting to play a game mode 24/7, but there are clearly measures put in place for a reason. What are those reasons? We can only make guesses, but most of them are pretty logical if you actually take a step back and think about it, which you don't seem to be doing. And that is my "issue". What's the point in opening a discussion thread if at any point the "opposite side" gives a reason, you shut it out, plug your ears and go "la la la"? You're absolutely entitled to your opinion, but don't be surprised when people come to critique it.

That's that feedback you were talking about.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Disregardless of whenever OP made an actual alt or not, you both jumped the gun too fast without actual hard evidence. 12-hour shifts can be (unfortunately) common around some places of the world.

Even if you voice your opinion, it'd really help not to be caustic about it. OP has an opinion and explained it in a civil manner, you guys accused him of getting overly salty when in reality, he only did get mad once you started accusing him of such. People get salty about the squids game all the time, why should this be such a big deal then?

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Disregardless of whenever OP made an actual alt or not, you both jumped the gun too fast without actual hard evidence. 12-hour shifts can be (unfortunately) common around some places of the world.

Even if you voice your opinion, it'd really help not to be caustic about it. OP has an opinion and explained it in a civil manner, you guys accused him of getting overly salty when in reality, he only did get mad once you started accusing him of such. People get salty about the squids game all the time, why should this be such a big deal then?
You did see the part where he opened the thread with "If I knew this beforehand I wouldn't have bought it", right? I'll admit to jumping the gun but the tone's been set from the start.

StarSol

Inkster Jr.
NNID
StarSol
...less about expressing an opinion and more of a pity party.

You need to learn what the difference between an attack and criticism are.
Attacks and criticisms? You guys have offered barely any constructive and objective criticisms for improvements to the game and are more concerned with bashing one's preferences as "unimportant" (at least that's implied by the energy here) and are more concerned with the style of presentation of other's thoughts than the actual topic itself. A pity party? If that's what it's called then so be it. Nintendo should feel bad for those of us that are part of the upset consumer base here. Grizzco should be available more often than every other day at strange intervals. I could see him going down maybe once a week for 2 or 3 hours but this right now is simply too much.

StarSol

Inkster Jr.
NNID
StarSol
No, you're not to just "accept it". But, there's a difference in "accepting it" and "understanding it". You can be dissatisfied with something, but if there's a logical reason behind it, then despite being dissatisfied, you can at least understand why. But that does not seem to be what you're doing at all.

It's also not restricted to every other 4 days. It's every other day. It not lining up with your exact schedule is not "restricted to every 4 days".

Obviously it's your personal opinion on the matter, that was never in question. My only "problem" here is that despite perfectly viable reasons being presented to you, you just repeat the same thing all over. So, as I said previously, it becomes less and less of "feedback", and more of a pity party. I understand wanting to play a game mode 24/7, but there are clearly measures put in place for a reason. What are those reasons? We can only make guesses, but most of them are pretty logical if you actually take a step back and think about it, which you don't seem to be doing. And that is my "issue". What's the point in opening a discussion thread if at any point the "opposite side" gives a reason, you shut it out, plug your ears and go "la la la"? You're absolutely entitled to your opinion, but don't be surprised when people come to critique it.

That's that feedback you were talking about.
I do understand the reasoning such as gear and other guesses as well. I see the logic behind what the main idea was. I just highly disagree with all of that logic. My reason for disagreeing to the original logic is because I see it to be even more logical to just leave it open all the time. This is more a topic of uncentered debate rather than it is a mutual agreement or a disagreement. I disagree with the original logic of implementing these time restraints entirely. I agree that the gear and said stuff is a point to be made, but it'll never move where I stand on just having it available. If we really want to boil this down and cool this thread off. May I then suggest that everything remains the same as it stands right now in the game (you're only able to get the gear and rewards on the original intended times), but the only exception is that Salmon Run stays open permanently just for the sake of playing it? On what would be normal down times, make it available just for the simplest sake of playing the mode for fun. I've separated the arguments that tie gear involved with the mode. A counter reason to that? I doubt I'll be convinced to believe the logic is reasonable. Can we just agree with this much? Simple availability and no rewards? At least that bare minimum can't possibly warrant a complaint. We have people who want to play the mode and can't. I fail to see the logic in even merely criticizing those who can't play; "You can't play the game, so you just have to deal with reasons "A" and "B" and stop complaining." Just give the fans what they want. It's not like it really affects the counter. This isn't even really about recognizing reasoning or trying to understand Nintendo's decision in the time restraints. This is just fans letting them know they want more. It diminishes nothing else about the game. We could discuss reasons as to why and why not, but boiling it down even more? This is just that. Fans wanting more of something they enjoy. Usually with posts with suggestions, they're valid arguments to be made that could diminish the other party such as weapon buffs etc. This isn't that topic. We're not looking to diminish the game for anyone. It's an easy situation that can be addressed to satisfy customers without even phasing the other. Was the tone this whole discussion tipped over a bit? Sure. That's the fire we need to set moods. It's not like I came on here cussing up a storm and providing no reasoning whatsoever other than to just cuss a game out. I explained why, I set a firm tone, and I laid my ideas in the ring.

Last edited:

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
Attacks and criticisms? You guys have offered barely any constructive and objective criticisms for improvements to the game and are more concerned with bashing one's preferences as "unimportant" (at least that's implied by the energy here) and are more concerned with the style of presentation of other's thoughts than the actual topic itself. A pity party? If that's what it's called then so be it. Nintendo should feel bad for those of us that are part of the upset consumer base here. Grizzco should be available more often than every other day at strange intervals. I could see him going down maybe once a week for 2 or 3 hours but this right now is simply too much.
"You guys"? I have no dog in this fight. I agree the time wall was a really dumb idea, but I understand the reasoning behind it, and thus won't ever be writing a thread like this. And it's more than just the rewards I'm sure.

I simply interjected to state there's really no point in having a "discussion" if anything said to you has no impact, and admittedly, vise versa. You two can type vigorously away at each other until your fingers are numb, but neither of you will move on your stance. I just don't understand the point in opening a "discussion thread" if there's really no room for discussion. You said you see the logic, but then went on to say you disagree with it. Then, no matter how much @Dessgeega gives you information on why it may be, it doesn't matter, because you've already made up your mind. It's beating a dead horse. I just don't see the point in it.

Like I said previously, Nintendo clearly did this for a reason. Getting chunks, money, and gear is a huge deal, but I'm sure that isn't the only reason they locked it out.

Also, when people say "just give the fans what they want", it really doesn't hold much water. If Nintendo has their reasons, and clearly they do, then what the fans want may not be the right thing. Yea, Nintendo should likely take heed to what we want, but if they have a reason behind not doing something, then I'll take their stance over a random "fans" any day, to include myself. Fans want a lot of things, doesn't mean adding them or removing them from the game would be the correct approach.

The rewards making a huge impact, the matchmaking, the queue times, and the fact that people would burn out of Salmon run if it were available 24/7 are all very viable and logical reasons. You can disagree with it if you want, and if you do, there's no point in continuing a discussion, nothing more can be said from the "opposing side". It can return to patting each other on the back like it has been on Reddit since the game came out.

Last edited:

PurpleCat

Inkling
NNID
PurpleCat
Which is why they also have Salmon Run open at different times. 7/28 8:00pm- 7/29 8:00pm, that's 24 hrs. Yes, most of them last 12 hours, but you can find time to play in some events. Just because you work 12 hour shifts, doesnt mean you can't ever find time to play. I work night shifts, 7:00pm- "7:30am". I usually get out at 8:00am or if the shift was really busy way later than that. I've already played in 2 or 3 Salmon Run events. I think in The Shoal you can host a Salmon Run event. Why not do that to play?

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Admin
Premium
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
Warchamp7
It's more than a little suspicious that you signed up today, this is your very first post, and your writing is in a similar tone to the original poster.
I too find it pretty odd you're a new account made today, and conveniently work 12 shifts just like OP.

Regardless, there were no "attacks" made in this thread.
They are not the same person. I also have a friend who works 12 hour shifts Mon - Thurs every week. This is not uncommon. Please don't attack other forum members over genuine complaints.

I've also had a point where I worked 12 hour shifts. Life is basically eat, sleep, shower, work. Time for fun stuff is minimal if it's a work day, even if Salmon Run is available for an hour or two after work ends, you're usually not interested in doing anything.

StarSol

Inkster Jr.
NNID
StarSol
I haven't been convinced to shift my ideas. What some see as stubborn, I just see as a simple debate that just failed to convince me otherwise. I was open to the time ideas until I saw how little the windows are. I think it's just safe to say that my conclusion at the very least is to expand the windows of availability for him significantly. We've covered every topic and reason. My conclusion stands. There is nothing else to cover.

Torloth

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Torloth
Maybe it's only open a limited window Because they only have 2 maps... And want to flush it out with more maps and bosses in an update. The time slots also have different weapons. Always Available with Rotating weapons would be okay.
Maybe they should introduce an "Arcade mode" in the Shoal for internet parties but until Nintendo makes the change things will stay the same.

My brother works night shift and yes it sucks for him.
But we will see how this evolves, we are bearly a week into the game changes are coming.

CM86

Pro Squid
I can understand the frustration of not being able to play salmon run as I work through the day myself so I can never play it either. Seeing as how this has been discussed pretty thoroughly, I have a slight tangent off this topic I would like to ask instead. Okay so since I hardly get to play salmon run, I have not been able to check one thing about it. Am I allowed to play with one friend as well as two other random people online for salmon run? (Similar to joining a friend in turf war and playing with 6 other strangers). The reason I ask is one I still haven't got to check and two, during the cake vs ice cream splatfest you could only play with a group of 4 friends. I just want to play with one friend and two random people. Of course even if I can play with a friend, the chances both of use will be able to play together and salmon run be open will be slim......curse you Nintendo.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
#lazyjoblessmillennialupsides

I'm half-willing to bet they'll eventually have it open near-permanently once the post-launch support ends. They did something similar with Splatoon 1, where after the Splatfests ended you could still earn Super Sea Snails by going to Judd after a certain number of battles. Seeing as Salmon Run's bonus system is the only reliable way of getting Crusty Sean's tickets (so far as I know, correct me if I'm wrong here), I could see them leaving it open for a few days a week at least.

For the moment, anyway, the schedule's been good about being open at least once every few days or so. I'd give it at least a month to see how it normalizes.

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
I can understand the frustration of not being able to play salmon run as I work through the day myself so I can never play it either. Seeing as how this has been discussed pretty thoroughly, I have a slight tangent off this topic I would like to ask instead. Okay so since I hardly get to play salmon run, I have not been able to check one thing about it. Am I allowed to play with one friend as well as two other random people online for salmon run? (Similar to joining a friend in turf war and playing with 6 other strangers). The reason I ask is one I still haven't got to check and two, during the cake vs ice cream splatfest you could only play with a group of 4 friends. I just want to play with one friend and two random people. Of course even if I can play with a friend, the chances both of use will be able to play together and salmon run be open will be slim......curse you Nintendo.
The way it works is you get into a lobby, either one you create or you join with a friend. If it's just you and one friend, the lobby host will then recruit two random players to join the lobby. The same applies if you have three people, only now you obviously only recruit one random person. So you can play with your friends just fine in Salmon Run.

StarSol

Inkster Jr.
NNID
StarSol
I think it would be really cool to have a Supply and Demand aspect to it. It stays open all the time, but a shifting supply and demand scaler could scale the rewards accordingly for players so it's not abused in a time frame. The more you supply in the week will slowly slow the reward process. Do it by the month or the week. Preferably week. Reset on Tuesdays or something. New demand needs met every week. I think that would be nice. It would allow all scheduled times while preventing anyone to grind excessively. It'd be a catalyst. It starts fast, but once you've reached that weeks' demand, it just slows down. Anyone wanting to go above and beyond the demand would have to dedicate a ton of time just for an inch difference. Make daily and weekly special quotas for an entire community. The community must get 1,000,000 golden eggs in the week. Maybe even being told by Mr. Grizz to make up for lost time, you have to double your quota for today. I feel like there's so much potential to make this mode more in depth and less time restricted. Is it our job to schedule times around a game? Or should it be the game's job to simulate a job without real time restrictions? It's like playing the Sims and it's telling you that you can't pretend to have this life in real time. Play another time. How can Grizzco feel like a real job if we can't even get to work?

Last edited:

Torloth

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Torloth
The community must get 1,000,000 golden eggs in the week.
That number is a little insane for a week. But I see where you are going I like this take on what Salmon run could provide.

I capped out today's bonus and just kept getting shirts every 200 points. Sure I got some Ability chunks and money but I could have got the same amount of money in ranked or Turfwar.

Pokemon sun and Moon had a similar community event idea I don't think they hit the mark ever...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom