say something nice about this game for once

lucassaur0

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-2099-7367-0992
i personally am a big fan of how much they've added to splatfests, they feel pretty nice now which makes shifty stations being gone hurt a little less. also squidrolling omgggg

chaotik0

Inkling Cadet
i like that they tried a lot of new things for this game. the new movement, seasonal structure, catalogue, an entire new side mode table turf. even if some didn't work out, like the stages, they tried fixing them pretty much immediately and drastically changed the way they were making them for the most recent ones we been getting. it shows that they won't be hesitant for big changes and additions and can learn from when they don't turn out to be as good as they thought. it makes me extremely excited for the next game where they put together everything they have learned so far and make an absolute masterpiece of a game. who knows, maybe it can turn out like mario kart 8 where people just don't stop buying it because of how good it is.

also, if it seems like people are always talking about the flaws in this game, it's because there are a lot. there was an absolutely huge amount of potential that was shown off in the initial trailers that a lot of people feel weren't fully realized. the maps looked a lot better, and they seemed to be leaning towards more fun in the kits like how they showed splash with zipcaster. in the game we got, the maps aren't that great and a lot of weapons got kits that people are not happy with. but if you think about it, it makes sense. they had a ton to do to make this game with all the cool new unique changes and additions. i think it was even confirmed that they didn't focus on map design too much. it was clear that the game was a bit rushed, so they probably didn't have enough time to theory craft the most amazing and unique maps or make an entirely new kit system for this game. but like i said, it seems like they can learn from their mistakes, which means hopefully they spend a lot more time making splatoon 4 a phenomenal game, instead of only having a year between the final balance patch and the release of the next game like they have been doing.

i think it's too easy to look at all the flaws in this game and gloss over everything that paints the bigger picture. these devs know what they are doing from all the cool stuff we do have in this game, they just need the time and resources to get stuff done.
nintendo, please let them cook!

(also i only talked about this here because of the "for once" in this post's title, it seems there were some certain emotions being expressed about a particular way people view this game)

nineball

Pro Squid
Pronouns
he/him
the addition of anarchy open is probably one of the best additions for ranked. in previous games if you wanted to familiarize yourself with a new weapon you had to either play turf war, a game mode that some weapon classes don't excel at (cough)and its turf war, or you had to basically be a burden on your team in ranked and risk tanking the ranks of you and your teammates. with anarchy open, you can still be a burden on your team and not have to carry the guilt of de-ranking your teammates (at least not as much as series...)! anarchy open is probably the only reason why i am decent with chargers.

OnePotWonder

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
The change in design philosophy making similar weapons look more distinct was a subtle but really cool change.
The blue Rapid Blasters, red E-liter, photo-negative Ballpoint, and Blue Tuber are all a breath of fresh air. The best example of this by far, though, is the Tentatek Splattershot.
And don’t get me started on .96, H-3, Range, and Rapid Pro. They cooked with the new designs.

Cephalobro

A sword weapon. As someone who loves medieval fantasy, I love how I can just be a valiant knight in-game, a knight who uses his Splatana Stamper to win in Turf Wars.

If only there was a seahorse species already present as an NPC so I could make some medieval Splatoon SFMs. But I guess an armored Octoling knight who strikes enemies with his Splatana Stamper is already medieval enough to suffice.

DzNutsKong

Inkling Cadet
I think online spaces need more stuff like this because it's way too easy to go to Twitter and come to the conclusion that nobody has anything nice to say about any game ever. There's a lot that I can compliment this game about between its pacing, mechanics, literally everything about the Splatana weapon class, but I don't want to chew everyone's ears off (or eyes? how would this saying work on a forum) about every little detail I like about this game. I'll just go right to something personal, super subjective and all that.

Playing Splatoon 1 as a kid, basically skipping Splatoon 2, and then jumping back in to play Splatoon 3 for the first time was one of the most unreal experiences for me and I'll never forget it. I LOVED Splatoon 1, so after talking myself into at least trying Splatoon 3 it was insane not only coming to relearn all of the old things I liked about the game, and not only to see how all the series has grown since then, but also seeing all of the things that having a more developed brain could help me appreciate that I didn't notice or care about before.

Like, I played the .52 Gal Deco in Splatoon 1 like a total moron. I'd just look at the closest person I could see, throw a Seeker at them, follow its trail with Ninja Squid and shoot them once I got super close. When I first played this game the .52 Gal had Splash Wall and it actually encouraged me to go out, take space, and get some understanding of what a safe position does and doesn't look like. Like I may be able to put it into very simple terms but the difference between my playstyle at the start of Splatoon 3 and the end of Splatoon 1 was completely different. Imagine being a super aggressive, reckless player who gets forcibly pushed into a new playstyle where they learn how valuable patience, caution and awareness are in a game like this. It's very eye-opening to say the least and it gave me such an instant, huge amount of respect for the series.

Actually, this also was the perfect opportunity for me to look into Splatoon content on YouTube. I watched so much ProChara and ThatSrb2DUDE it's not even funny. It was genuinely fascinating to see where the series has been in all that time. Just to give you an idea of how lost I was, if you asked me to name all of Splatoon 2's specials before Splatoon 3 launch I would have been able to name Baller, Sting Ray, Ink Armor, and maaaaaybe Bomb Launcher and Splashdown but probably not. Imagine how crazy it was to hear about Splatoon 2 meta for the first time as someone who was just falling back in love with the series and had completely missed all of it. Didn't hear about K52 until much later. Also retroactively heard a lot about Splatoon 1 of course and literally all I knew about it when I was younger was "CRB good."

The thing I remembered hating the most about Splatoon other than Moray Towers existing was the specials. Way too often I remember playing the game and someone would see me and just get a completely free reversal on me with Kraken or be able to laser me down with Sting Ray and whether or not I made it out was in their hands. The specials in this game feel so much more dynamic to play around than they ever did before. Trizooka not so much but at least that one was harder to use on launch. The counterplay to each of them from a solo perspective felt so much more intuitive both to use and fight and it's really awesome.

All of this, by the way? Everything I described happened before the game had even released, either during or shortly after the testfire. I had played all of my games with both a long-time friend who's been pretty into the series as long as it's existed and with a slightly less long-time friend who thought the game looked interesting enough to give a try for the first time. Being able to experience all of this alongside the shenanigans that you'd imagine a group of close friends would get into was really awesome. Splatoon 3 isn't my absolute favorite game ever but it's totally up there and all this won't be leaving my head any time soon.

MandatoryCatalyst

Pro Squid
Pronouns
Any
Switch Friend Code
SW-2709-1571-0800
One thing I feel Splatoon absolutely masters is like, mundane worldbuilding and art design. Everything being squid shaped is cute and charming and also I feel just makes sense. I like that sort of attention to detail, and I feel that the inclusion of locker decoration as a game mechanic utilizes that preexisting strength to the fullest. Yes I DO want to know what Inkling Furbies look like thank you very much. I'm also a massive massive fan of the sound design, I feel sound design in video games is often overlooked, so whenever I play a game I always try and take some time just to sit with the sound design and take it in, Splatoon is no exception. I like Side Order's gritty, textured ink, I like how each weapon sounds distinctive and unique and fitting to how it looks, I like how Inklings and Octolings sound different, I like how you can tell a Beakon is nearby even if you can't see it because you can hear its beeping, I could go on for practically forever.

I also just love the gameplay in general (I think I tend to not be really pessimistic, and am pretty good at tempering my hopes so that I don't get overly let down when something doesn't happen that I would've liked, which makes it a lot easier for me to be more positive about the things I like), but that's pretty run of the mill to discuss, so I prefer talking about the subtler details and aspects of the game I love, rather than just "It's a fun video game I enjoy", however true that may be

Cephalobro

Also, forgot to mention my favorite type of lore: the fact that Octolings are essentially the only Octarian subspecies actually capable of creating the other Octarians by cutting off a tentacle (except other Octolings, both male and female Octolings are needed when introducing a baby Octoling into the world with The Birds and The Bees method, that's all I'm going to say about it).

Last edited:

OnePotWonder

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
I'd also like to take a moment to give an honorable mention to *most* Salmon Run boss designs.

Steelheads and Slammin' Lids being able to damage other Salmonids.
Scrappers having a klaxon that uses the Onward! leitmotif as a refence to the Salmonid-Octarian trade in the lore.
Drizzlers' torpedoes being redirected instead of just breaking when shot down.
Big Shots for the interactions with their launcher as well as feeding the game's meme culture.
Maws and Flipper Floppers having threatening attacks to make up for the ease of splatting them.
Fish Sticks, because of those few spots where their towers make moving around the map way easier.
And, of course, Stingers for being the perfect backline enemy. A difficult boss done correctly.

There is one thing that's even better than a good Boss Salmonid, though. There's at least one aspect Splatoon 3's design that has steadily improved as the seasons have worn on; King Salmonids.
Cohozuna was good.
Horrorboros was excellent.
And Megalodontia is jaw-dropping.
I feel like there's nothing quite as satisfying as taking down a king salmonid. A proper team boss fight. It's almost perfect...
Just please give us more good scales for actually splatting one. I have more silver scales from fails than successes this month.

QuagSass

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4841-6661-0032
The weapon redesigns in this game are so cool.
Range Blaster looks unique from normal Blaster now and just more sleek. .96 Gal got a a more interesting barrel with little rocks inside, really helping it distinguish itself from .52 Gal. I think this game has my favorite design for the Splat Charger.
The Heavy and Hydra Splatlings got chunky, which really helps sell their role and overall power as weapons, Hydra especially.

Grushi

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-1492-1491-3432
I love how detailed the weapons and gear look, sometimes on the weapon select screen I'll just zoom in and admire the details, they look so good, you can see the stitches, the fabric, they look a bit worn, they didn't have to go so hard on the gear but I'm glad they did. The weapons look really cool too, they're all so unique

Cephalobro

That banner of a male Octoling and a female Inkling on a date. I will forever keep that banner equipped no matter how many new banners are added to the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom