• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Seabagging

Status
Not open for further replies.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
Honestly, I have no issues with this. It is hilarious in this game by how goofy the animation looks. Then again, I played a lot of Halo where everyone tea bagged each other, so I am pretty much immune to this sort of thing. For others, it is new, which may explain why they feel that it is offensive, but all I have to say is just don't let it get to you.

Rex

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Xerhid
Honestly, I have no issues with this. It is hilarious in this game by how goofy the animation looks. Then again, I played a lot of Halo where everyone tea bagged each other, so I am pretty much immune to this sort of thing. For others, it is new, which may explain why they feel that it is offensive, but all I have to say is just don't let it get to you.
That is exactly what I hope this game doesn't become.

RespawningJesus

Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
That is exactly what I hope this game doesn't become.
It won't, since 1. tea bagging has lost it's popularity over the years, and 2. what made tea bagging so bad before was due to the fact that you could actually hear them taunting you through their mics.

Rex

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Xerhid
It won't, since 1. tea bagging has lost it's popularity over the years, and 2. what made tea bagging so bad before was due to the fact that you could actually hear them taunting you through their mics.
lol, I dislike seabagging, but that does sound pretty awful and funny in a really stupid way.

DarkGold777

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DarkGold777
Actually, I feel that it's bad due to how people percieve... well, I called it "sandbagging", but turns out I called it by the wrong name and it's actually "teabagging", and it is said that it defines a juvenile identity to shooter games. I don't think it's because it's new to them, especially if they know what teabagging is; otherwise, I do not see people like me making a deal out of this, and would instead see it as a celebration instead of a taunt. The intention of teabagging is for humiliation (if you look up the origin of the term, you'll see why), and the closest thing to doing that in Splatoon is turning into a squid repeatedly around the splatted's clothes and weapons, or at least just transform if you can't do so. I don't think teabagging has to become offensive with voice chat, when you consider what it represents, and even if it's not as popular, I doubt it is forgotten by the shooter gaming community. I'll admit that Splatoon's the only shooter I really have played and enjoyed a lot, but still, I know some stuff.

RespawningJesus

Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
Actually, I feel that it's bad due to how people percieve... well, I called it "sandbagging", but turns out I called it by the wrong name and it's actually "teabagging", and it is said that it defines a juvenile identity to shooter games. I don't think it's because it's new to them, especially if they know what teabagging is; otherwise, I do not see people like me making a deal out of this, and would instead see it as a celebration instead of a taunt. The intention of teabagging is for humiliation (if you look up the origin of the term, you'll see why), and the closest thing to doing that in Splatoon is turning into a squid repeatedly around the splatted's clothes and weapons, or at least just transform if you can't do so. I don't think teabagging has to become offensive with voice chat, when you consider what it represents, and even if it's not as popular, I doubt it is forgotten by the shooter gaming community. I'll admit that Splatoon's the only shooter I really have played and enjoyed a lot, but still, I know some stuff.
Oh trust me, it definitely has not been phased out of existence, I still see it happen in just about every shooter. However, it has dramatically decreased over the years. I don't see it happening too often in random matches, so that is good news I guess.

Tea bagging on it's own wasn't that bad. Yes, it wasn't nice of other people to do it, but hey, whatever. What really made it bad was when you could hear them taunting you through the voice chat, which is far more effective at getting a reaction out of someone, which is the whole point of performing the action to begin with. It is to demoralize your foes, and cause them to make further mistakes. With their voice added in, it became personal, and it hit home a lot harder, and it was even easier to get your opponents in the exact mindset you wanted them in.

Was it nice? Nope, but honestly, it only becomes a big deal if you make it one. You just gotta shrug it off and carry on, since it is going to happen one day. Prepare for the worst, and when it happens, you will be ready.

Rex

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Xerhid
Have a confession: I seabagged earlier. This juvenile slosher got me in Bluefin and proceeded to seabag for absolutely no reason other than that he is a moron. Pretty quickly after respawning I tracked him down, splatted him, and then seabagged the ****** out of every frame of the death scene. Didn't encounter him the rest of the match. Afterwards, went back to lobby, because I prefer not to play with his ilk.

Grafkarpador

Inkling Cadet
NNID
grafkarpador
Have a confession: I seabagged earlier. This juvenile slosher got me in Bluefin and proceeded to seabag for absolutely no reason other than that he is a moron. Pretty quickly after respawning I tracked him down, splatted him, and then seabagged the ****** out of every frame of the death scene. Didn't encounter him the rest of the match. Afterwards, went back to lobby, because I prefer not to play with his ilk.
Are you kidding me? You're acting all uppity about it and act all better-than-you and then you refuse to even try to be a better person by not participating in the behavior? I realize it's infuriating by some, but how about some consistency? This topic is getting more and more ridiculous

Anyways, I squidbag at my own leisure. If you don't like it, feel free to go to the friends list menu in the Wii U home menu, player history (Y button) and then ban me (or anyone else who you don't like really). I prefer to play with people who can take a joke anyway and don't turn into a delicate flower at any semblence of playful deprication.

Njok

Bouncer
Are you kidding me? You're acting all uppity about it and act all better-than-you and then you refuse to even try to be a better person by not participating in the behavior? I realize it's infuriating by some, but how about some consistency? This topic is getting more and more ridiculous

Anyways, I squidbag at my own leisure. If you don't like it, feel free to go to the friends list menu in the Wii U home menu, player history (Y button) and then ban me (or anyone else who you don't like really). I prefer to play with people who can take a joke anyway and don't turn into a delicate flower at any semblence of playful deprication.
Thank you (for the bold part).

Also agree with the rest of your post. The game consists of kids who can turn into squids, shooting ink at each other. If that isn't enough to not take it all too seriously, i don't know what is.

Phobos

Inkling Commander
I've found the discussion interesting. I'm all for friendly taunting, and insofar as a taunt is used in the way Jeremyx7 described - "just to playfully signal to the opponent 'tag you're it' or 'hahaha got you, come get me back!'" - then it's fine with me. A drawback with playing against people online is that there are none of the usual social cues which would indicate whether someone was simply engaging in friendly taunting or whether they were actually being a ****, and trying to belittle their opponent. I've been assuming it's the latter, but clearly this is a mistake if squidbagging is also being used like a Smash taunt.

I sort of wish the developers included some legit taunts - like little dance moves you could perform by pressing the d-pad - because I'd certainly use them if they were there, and wouldn't mind at all if they were used against me. I still feel that squidbagging plays the 'friendly taunt' role sub-optimally; insofar as it's a derivation of teabagging, it carries undertones of sexual humiliation, and - given that many young children play this game - this doesn't sit well with me. So for this reason I'll continue to refrain from doing it myself, but I'll also refrain from automatically assuming that anyone I see doing it is a douchebag.

Njok

Bouncer
I've found the discussion interesting. I'm all for friendly taunting, and insofar as a taunt is used in the way Jeremyx7 described - "just to playfully signal to the opponent 'tag you're it' or 'hahaha got you, come get me back!'" - then it's fine with me. A drawback with playing against people online is that there are none of the usual social cues which would indicate whether someone was simply engaging in friendly taunting or whether they were actually being a ****, and trying to belittle their opponent. I've been assuming it's the latter, but clearly this is a mistake if squidbagging is also being used like a Smash taunt.

I sort of wish the developers included some legit taunts - like little dance moves you could perform by pressing the d-pad - because I'd certainly use them if they were there, and wouldn't mind at all if they were used against me. I still feel that squidbagging plays the 'friendly taunt' role sub-optimally; insofar as it's a derivation of teabagging, it carries undertones of sexual humiliation, and - given that many young children play this game - this doesn't sit well with me. So for this reason I'll continue to refrain from doing it myself, but I'll also refrain from automatically assuming that anyone I see doing it is a douchebag.
Actually you can do a pirouette with the right stick! I like it. If i ever splat you, that's what i will do :P

I also want to use this opportunity to trademark the term Squiddouette.

Phobos

Inkling Commander
Hah! Yes I noticed that a while ago, but it's even more dangerous than squidbagging if you're not careful, so I don't make a habit of it. I read in an interview with the developers that they used motion capture suits to get lots of different dance moves, some of which are used for the inklings outside the restaurant in the plaza, and also at the splatfests, so presumably they have what they need to implement some dance-based taunts.

Rex

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Xerhid

"Take a joke"...that is really the point. It has to be appreciated on both ends. If not, most people with social skills realize you don't do it. Joking with your friends...fine. Joke with strangers who don't know you...not. So simple.

Jeremyx7

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Jeremyx7
"Take a joke"...that is really the point. It has to be appreciated on both ends. If not, most people with social skills realize you don't do it. Joking with your friends...fine. Joke with strangers who don't know you...not. So simple.
Who says you can't joke with strangers? I joke with strangers all the time! I joke with them waiting in line at the grocery stores, stores, when they're serving me in restaurants, when an awkward situation occurs, when they or I fart out loud. The list goes on! It takes great social skills to joke with total strangers.

Grafkarpador

Inkling Cadet
NNID
grafkarpador
Please don't let this devolve into some sort of "people with X trait have better social skills/are generally better people". That's just inflammatory finger pointing. This discussion is going nowhere if we just straight up insult.

You have every right to be offended by certain behavior if you want to. I understand that under the wrong circumstances a taunt can be negatively interpreted despite the more light-hearted intentions usually put into it, and some people do put malicious intent into it by trying to make fun of someone. I believe that this is by far the minority though. I also believe that only a minority of people get deeply offended by it, which is why I'm not too eager to suppress it (and the reasons why I like squidbagging I have already mentioned). As said, you are able to block every player who participates in that behavior under the mentioned method if you want to and you don't have to deal with it. It'd be a plus really, since you don't have to encounter us asocial squidbagging *ssholes and we don't have to insult you sensitive people ever again. It's a win-win (:

DarkGold777

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DarkGold777
Who says you can't joke with strangers? I joke with strangers all the time! I joke with them waiting in line at the grocery stores, stores, when they're serving me in restaurants, when an awkward situation occurs, when they or I fart out loud. The list goes on! It takes great social skills to joke with total strangers.
Well, as I said previously, people react differently to things; some are okay, some understandably get annoyed. It is definitely possible to take a joke too far, even if you don't think such. What kinds of specific jokes do you make to them?

Grafkarpador

Inkling Cadet
NNID
grafkarpador
I'd personally say the line is crossed if someone intentionally seeks out other players and specifically targets them over the duration of the match and then constantly squidbags them. You know, if it actually goes into bullying territory. Also squidbagging after every kill is kinda douchey as well. But you know, if someone does it to me once in a while after they got a great kill on me or if they got revenge, I think to myself "hehe, good one, you're next on my list dude" and I move on. Livens up the player interaction, you know?

Jeremyx7

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Jeremyx7
Well, as I said previously, people react differently to things; some are okay, some understandably get annoyed. It is definitely possible to take a joke too far, even if you don't think such. What kinds of specific jokes do you make to them?
Only the most upscale high wit everyone in a partyroom envies joke..............................Your Mama Jokes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom