• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Seabagging

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkGold777

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DarkGold777
A few times I did encounter a few players doing this "seabagging" taunt that they where doing, but this match that I'vd had recently was just weird.

It was on Blackbelly Skatepark, as me and my opponets spawn we both had different weapons for a fair match, the round starts and immediately a few of my teammates started to seabag in the air, I was thinking I might have some trolls on my side thinking that it might be a bit difficult for the turf match.

As I've encounter my opponets, they too started to seabag... Wait really? I thought, and even though everyone was doing it except for me, we've all took the match a bit seriously.

After a few turfs and splats later I was on a corner ledge next to the wooden half pipe, I see our charger seabagging right next to me, I see my opponet's shooter below us doing it as well, and I saw our opponet's roller doing it on top of the central tower.

I was just standing there for a moment as the only reaction that came to my head.

Did I just stumbled upon a seabagging party? Well I've won the match but I didn't thought to have ever been in a match like that, it was just a strange moment in Splatoon for me.
I wouldn't call it "seabagging" more so than I would call it "partying". There may be some folks in a turf war who decide to just goof around and jump around as a squid or do some other funny antics (like intentionally hitting your head on a non-passable wall beam or doing parkour in Saltspray Rig's big top area), being joined by willing opponents without care for the result, and shooting anyone (even teammates) for splatting a fellow partier. I've been in such matches with a friend and joined in. :3

sammich

Inkling Cadet
Yet you're outright calling people douchey without any real reason or substance to go by.....you have no room to talk...and your profile says you're 31..............mature huh?
wtf??
if you want to argue that seabagging isn't douchey, maybe you shouldn't be a douche in your argument.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
There was this person in a match I had ~20 minutes ago, who decided to ~seabag~ me after they killed me, only to be splatted by a teammate. Serves them right.

Jeremyx7

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Jeremyx7
wtf??
if you want to argue that seabagging isn't douchey, maybe you shouldn't be a douche in your argument.
How is simply calling someone into question if it's on topic douchey provided it's not out right disrespectful? There's a huge difference. Kind of how you're calling what I just said into question but with name calling like the other guy. So you don't really don't have much room to talk either. I was being objective and straight forward.

Benjamin Hellcat

Inkster Jr.
NNID
H3llcat
This whole thread is silly. "Seabagging" is both douchy <-- not a real word... and fun. It all depends on the situation. If someone is bagging on you after they have splatted you, that's douchy. But, as a celebratory dance... it's just fun. I don't do it, as i find it to be show boating. I celebrate within my team with "Booyah" if we are winning or made a really big turn over. But, bagging does not bother me personally. If it does bother you, you are letting them get to you... which means their douchy tactic is working. Just focus on the game, and get that win.

sammich

Inkling Cadet
How is simply calling someone into question if it's on topic douchey provided it's not out right disrespectful? There's a huge difference. Kind of how you're calling what I just said into question but with name calling like the other guy. So you don't really don't have much room to talk either. I was being objective and straight forward.
the difference is that i'm not arguing about whether or not teabagging is douchey :v

i actually probably agree with you but i just felt it was a bit jarring to say "you're making no sense" and then immediately bring his age in as an insult. "mature huh" lol...

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
This whole thread is silly. "Seabagging" is both douchy <-- not a real word... and fun. It all depends on the situation. If someone is bagging on you after they have splatted you, that's douchy. But, as a celebratory dance... it's just fun. I don't do it, as i find it to be show boating. I celebrate within my team with "Booyah" if we are winning or made a really big turn over. But, bagging does not bother me personally. If it does bother you, you are letting them get to you... which means their douchy tactic is working. Just focus on the game, and get that win.
Maturity at its finest.

Kikaioh

Full Squid
Yet you're outright calling people douchey without any real reason or substance to go by.....you have no room to talk...and your profile says you're 31..............mature huh?
No real reason or substance? It's the Splatoon version of teabagging, which was originally meant as a means of humiliating a defeated opponent, literally rubbing in their face that "neener neener I beat you, here's my nutsack, take it". If people don't want to express that, then they should do something else that doesn't relate to teabagging. Don't try to turn it around on me that it's immature to call it out for what it is.

Kaze

Pro Squid
No real reason or substance? It's the Splatoon version of teabagging, which was originally meant as a means of humiliating a defeated opponent, literally rubbing in their face that "neener neener I beat you, here's my nutsack, take it". If people don't want to express that, then they should do something else that doesn't relate to teabagging. Don't try to turn it around on me that it's immature to call it out for what it is.
I understand why seabagging bothers people, but once you splat someone their body is gone so there is nothing to rub it on.
you are also just shifting between squid and kid form and not actually rubbing anything in their face and some players do it as a celebration dance.
( I did it too, but I stopped because I'm too tired to deal with all the easily offended people )

I wonder whats next, oh... you used the d-pad nice / booyah signal after I splatted you, that's rude you distracted me and got me splatted...

Jeremyx7

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Jeremyx7
The animation in splatoon does not even closely resemble anything spiteful or mean spirited as a nutsack in the face lol. The fact that squids are exploding one another in a game about claiming eachother's turf/land for dominance along with a booyah taunt only promotes the idea of further playful sillyness and/or taunts because it's a silly game to begin with.

So no, you don't have any real substance to go by because you're assuming it means something outrightly negative when in reality you're just being overly sensitive about a funny looking animation.

Kikaioh

Full Squid
The animation in splatoon does not even closely resemble anything spiteful or mean spirited as a nutsack in the face lol. The fact that squids are exploding one another in a game about claiming eachother's turf/land for dominance along with a booyah taunt only promotes the idea of further playful sillyness and/or taunts because it's a silly game to begin with.

So no, you don't have any real substance to go by because you're assuming it means something outrightly negative when in reality you're just being overly sensitive about a funny looking animation.
Hogwash. If your reasoning were true, then no one in the first place would have called it "seabagging" or "squidbagging" as a play off of "teabagging", would they? They would have called it something else entirely, and threads like this wouldn't exist. But everyone recognizes that the motion is similar to kneeling, and that it happens most often after someone has been splatted, just like when people teabag in other shooter games. And regardless as to whether or not it's a literal nutsack to the face in Splatoon, it's still show-off douchery when the intent is to approximate a teabag after a kill.

You've just turned the blinders on to the negativity because you think "seabagging" is fun and want to feel superior to "overly sensitive" people. That's like victim-blaming, and I'm not surprised someone who enjoys the douchery of "seabagging" would react like that.

Kaze

Pro Squid
I actually dislike that it is called ''seabagging'' or ''squidbagging''
wish it had another name that is not related to ''teabagging''

Jeremyx7

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Jeremyx7
Hogwash. If your reasoning were true, then no one in the first place would have called it "seabagging" or "squidbagging" as a play off of "teabagging", would they? They would have called it something else entirely, and threads like this wouldn't exist. But everyone recognizes that the motion is similar to kneeling, and that it happens most often after someone has been splatted, just like when people teabag in other shooter games. And regardless as to whether or not it's a literal nutsack to the face in Splatoon, it's still show-off douchery when the intent is to approximate a teabag after a kill.

You've just turned the blinders on to the negativity because you think "seabagging" is fun and want to feel superior to "overly sensitive" people. That's like victim-blaming, and I'm not surprised someone who enjoys the douchery of "seabagging" would react like that.
The points I've been making have nothing to do with the terminology of the animation but everything to do with various ways of reacting to them and not taking things so seriously. Even the animation of 'teabagging' in other games like halo aren't even really teabagging but just crouching. It's people that assigned it that and others who chose to either take it as a joke or take offense to it. Whatever the case the animation itself doesn't actually mean anything negative and if someone is actually doing it out to piss someone off there is still no real way to know. So why take offense to it? That's my point.

So I'm not putting any blinders on to some sort of negativity because there actually is none to begin with unless I were to assume there is. But I'm not a presumptuous person nor am I overly sensitive about benign things in life so it doesn't bother me when someone does the animation towards me.

Speaking of presumptuous, your assumption as to why I do the animation is completely wrong. I don't do it to feel 'superior', I do it because it's a video game not to be taken seriously, it encourages hilarity to anyone with a good sense a humor, in hopes the opponent will try harder next time, letting the opponent know I finally got them if they were given me a hard time, ect...

So again, you still lack any real substance as to how your argument is oh so true about why you react to something made up the way you do. Oh but of course, it's just a douchey thing to do.....good argument...

DarkGold777

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DarkGold777
The points I've been making have nothing to do with the terminology of the animation but everything to do with various ways of reacting to them and not taking things so seriously. Even the animation of 'teabagging' in other games like halo aren't even really teabagging but just crouching. It's people that assigned it that and others who chose to either take it as a joke or take offense to it. Whatever the case the animation itself doesn't actually mean anything negative and if someone is actually doing it out to piss someone off there is still no real way to know. So why take offense to it? That's my point.

So I'm not putting any blinders on to some sort of negativity because there actually is none to begin with unless I were to assume there is. But I'm not a presumptuous person nor am I overly sensitive about benign things in life so it doesn't bother me when someone does the animation towards me.

Speaking of presumptuous, your assumption as to why I do the animation is completely wrong. I don't do it to feel 'superior', I do it because it's a video game not to be taken seriously, it encourages hilarity to anyone with a good sense a humor, in hopes the opponent will try harder next time, letting the opponent know I finally got them if they were given me a hard time, ect...

So again, you still lack any real substance as to how your argument is oh so true about why you react to something made up the way you do. Oh but of course, it's just a douchey thing to do.....good argument...
Apparently your posts are alright to be put into paragraphs, but when it comes to mine, you are permitted to not read my argument and state with confidence that I have a limited view on the subject. Logical.

As for your argument about not taking "silly" animations seriously: You know how people show only a middle finger to show resentment towards someone, right? Well, it's just sticking a middle finger out; what's the big deal? The deal is that it has become known as a rude gesture, and no matter if someone else doesn't see what the big deal is, plenty of people will see it as a negative message towards them. Curse words are similar to this; they are just sounds, but we acknowledge them as things to never say around children, right?

The same thing goes for teabagging; it was created to humiliate, no matter if the animation does not portray it accurately, and even if you find it funny and don't get bothered by it, that's not to say that others will feel the same way, let alone that your way is the right way. Some people probably do it out of friendliness, right, but just because we don't know their true intentions doesn't mean you can blame us for being skeptical. If we don't know what message they're sending, why should we always just act like it wasn't offensive? Didn't people start doing it to humiliate and offend, anyways, if not joke with friends who were alright with teasing? If so, wouldn't it be more accurate to be at least a little suspicious of the act, rather than always think, "Oh, this guy's a kind person who just wants to have fun and not bother anybody" every single time? Trolls exist on the Internet; videogames are no exception to this. We can't act like there's no negativity at all just because it's possible there isn't. That's not how it works. It's not being sensitive; it's being the opposite of naive.

And Jeremy, PLEASE read my whole post this time, and don't whine about the length, especially after how long your own post was. If you don't bother reading your opponent's argument when you easily can, you may as well admit defeat, because you can't convince people like that. So if you want to prove that you are obviously right, show the audience that you are; don't just say "I'm right". Your move.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Seriously though, it varies between people whenever it means as a playful jab or a mean-spirited insult. If i get seabagged by someone who i managed to splat for the umpteenth time, i'd readily assume they're just real salty about their losses. If it's just a random, fine, have your fun but understand you'll put yourself at risk out in the open (Hence i've never seen it happen in ranked...).

I've seen the gamefaqs board for splatoon, some people take this game way too seriously sometimes

Jeremyx7

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Jeremyx7
Apparently your posts are alright to be put into paragraphs, but when it comes to mine, you are permitted to not read my argument and state with confidence that I have a limited view on the subject. Logical.

As for your argument about not taking "silly" animations seriously: You know how people show only a middle finger to show resentment towards someone, right? Well, it's just sticking a middle finger out; what's the big deal? The deal is that it has become known as a rude gesture, and no matter if someone else doesn't see what the big deal is, plenty of people will see it as a negative message towards them. Curse words are similar to this; they are just sounds, but we acknowledge them as things to never say around children, right?

The same thing goes for teabagging; it was created to humiliate, no matter if the animation does not portray it accurately, and even if you find it funny and don't get bothered by it, that's not to say that others will feel the same way, let alone that your way is the right way. Some people probably do it out of friendliness, right, but just because we don't know their true intentions doesn't mean you can blame us for being skeptical. If we don't know what message they're sending, why should we always just act like it wasn't offensive? Didn't people start doing it to humiliate and offend, anyways, if not joke with friends who were alright with teasing? If so, wouldn't it be more accurate to be at least a little suspicious of the act, rather than always think, "Oh, this guy's a kind person who just wants to have fun and not bother anybody" every single time? Trolls exist on the Internet; videogames are no exception to this. We can't act like there's no negativity at all just because it's possible there isn't. That's not how it works. It's not being sensitive; it's being the opposite of naive.

And Jeremy, PLEASE read my whole post this time, and don't whine about the length, especially after how long your own post was. If you don't bother reading your opponent's argument when you easily can, you may as well admit defeat, because you can't convince people like that. So if you want to prove that you are obviously right, show the audience that you are; don't just say "I'm right". Your move.
Okay, I actually read your post this time, because you didn't repeat yourself as much.

Anyways, your point comparing it to middle fingers and cursing is a stretch. It's a stretch because...
1) Finger represents something actually vulgar such as a human body part. While Splatoon's animation really doesn't mean anything at all except looking stupid and 'I got you'.
2) People first made up teabagging as a joke because it looks ridiculous regardless of the intentions later on by negative ones. The finger is a straight up 'screw you' insult.
3) There is no way to tell why someone really does the animation through a game without voice chat. IRL you can tell right away how, why, and the intent of any words spoken.

No comparison. There really is none like at all.

Also, who ever said you should assume 'oh look, this is a kind of guy who wants to have fun' every single time? I sure didn't nor did I ever imply you should assume anything. What have I actually been saying this entire time through out my previous post DarkGold? That you cannot know what their intent is and even if you did you can simply ignore them, right? Or you could laugh because more than likely it's funny looking and really shouldn't be taken seriously especially in a video game about shooting eachother to begin with lol.

Assuming things as if they are fact without any evidence is what makes a person naive. Being quick to take offense in a video game regardless of the 'could be' reasons is naive. The opposite would be to laugh it off, ignore it, and/or not take it personally. It's very very simple.

Drez

Pro Squid
NNID
neokrw
I think seabagging is one of the reasons voice chat isn't a thing. Go figure.

---

Not into seabagging, only because it looks stupid. I will say occasionally I like to spam booyah (like three times) because of the expression and the sound, especially in a group of friends vs friends. I only do it in spirit of having fun. If I see someone seabag I won't take it seriously, now that I think about it. The enemy can seabag all he wants. Doesn't change my skill and me remaining calm is the best thing for my team. I'd just take advantage of it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom