• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Seabagging

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grafkarpador

Inkling Cadet
NNID
grafkarpador
I have no shame in admitting that I squidbag complete strangers if I get a ridiculous kill (e.g. with a Sprinkler), killed after a long standoff, got a sneak on someone, get a triple or quad kill, if both of us are in a stalemate and I want to provoke them into attacking or as a victory dance with my teammates. I don't do it in mean spirit by any means, I just want to liven up the otherwise sterile player interaction by being a bit cheeky.

I like how the OP gives a cost/benefit consideration for a taunt btw

Pareto

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
PlusTB
A player who I splat five times in a single game managed to get the jump on me in the last 10 seconds. He decided to excessively "seabag" those last few seconds until my incompetent Charger teammate made this guy his first and only kill.

We won: 44.4% - 44.3%

Kaze

Pro Squid
A player who I splat five times in a single game managed to get the jump on me in the last 10 seconds. He decided to excessively "seabag" those last few seconds until my incompetent Charger teammate made this guy his first and only kill.

We won: 44.4% - 44.3%
if that is true, omgosh xD

Summerlycoris

Inkster Jr.
NNID
summerlycoris
I'm sure by now some of you have encountered a kind of "taunt" to be implied by the other team. When you splat someone, you rapidly enter and exit squid form for a few seconds so the splattered person has to watch it on their screen. Doing so cuts into your precious inking time slightly, but I love it. The alternating crouch/stand motions reminds me of teabagging on other games. Seeing as we are squid kids, I have dubbed this behavior "Seabagging".
I remember seeing your post on r/splatoon too. it looks like a direct copy and paste.
Like I said there, this isn't new. People have been doing this since around the time I started playing. I haven't seen it happen much, except when teammates do it to others. I usually just wish they'd help me cover turf instead of performing a little show.

DarkGold777

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DarkGold777
I dislike any form of sandbagging between complete strangers, and this is no exception. It looks to me like they're just being blatantly rude towards people they don't even know, especially since there's not really any point to do it. I mean, wasn't sandbagging invented to taunt others, if I'm not mistaken? Between friends, it's okay, just as long as nobody's sensitive towards taunting to the point that it's legitimately sad. But against complete strangers... I'm sorry, but I hate this.

Dreamy Luigi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DreamyZack
The only time I've ever taunted was squid jump repeatedly when a Splatling tried to get me but I was out of range (: (We were both on the elevated alleys of Arowana Mall)

Seabagging I don't really care if you do but normally when I splat I cover the ink they laid down so... have fun?

Krak-On Kraken

Inkling
NNID
Konofox
Never said it wasn't their right, they can feel however they choose, doesn't mean it's still not ridiculous. Also, even if someone does do it out of bragging or some made up negative feeling you can simply ignore it and not let it get to you. But how would you know that through a VIDEO GAME? Seriously, come on now, I've been'seabagged' plenty and find it either hilarious or just plain silly and think nothing of it. Why? Because it's silly as well as inconsequential.
Welp, alright then. I think you're pretty ridiculous yourself for refusing to respect that people have different reactions to different things, but I'll leave it at that.

KnightMB

Senior Squid
NNID
KnightMB
Is this all they do? Wow, I thought the other more creative things were funny. Other than "seabagging", I've seen the excessive "Booyah" taunts and "C'mon" taunts as part of it. The funnier ones are the people that have the sensitivity up high enough to do rapid circles and jump, those are funny. I've seen players do the sky fountain after every kill (just shoot straight up like a fountain for a moment), kinda weird? I've seen players that are holding sniper positions turn into a squid and hit the top of something to make the squid chirp sound on purpose. That was funny when I realized what the player was doing (not by accident, but after every splat). Unless some more emotes are added in, kinda limited on the taunting I suppose. :rolleyes:

Jeremyx7

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Jeremyx7
Welp, alright then. I think you're pretty ridiculous yourself for refusing to respect that people have different reactions to different things, but I'll leave it at that.
You have no real reason for thinking I'm ridiculous other than the made up reasons in your head for defending something that has nothing to do with respect but rather points being made on getting overly sensitive when players don't have to be.

Also, I do respect the feelings of others as well as their reactions, but overly dramatic or missed placed over righteous feelings and reactions I do not. You're terrible at assuming things btw.

Last edited:

DarkGold777

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DarkGold777
You have no real reason for thinking I'm ridiculous other than the made up reasons in your head for defending something that has nothing to do with respect but rather points being made on getting overly sensitive when players don't have to be.

Also, I do respect the feelings of others as well as their reactions, but overly dramatic or missed placed over righteous feelings and reactions I do not. You're terrible at assuming things btw.
Actually, looking at your post, I think his response is justified. You said that we had a right to feel what we want, but that doesn't mean it's not ridiculous, and you said "seriously" and "come on" as if we're acting like fools. Why? Isn't sandbagging a taunt? When you taunt, you are intending to bother the other person. How is seeing a stranger sandbagging you and reacting in a negative fashion ridiculous? Yes, we can not respond to it, but that doesn't mean we can't have a negative perception of a person who taunts complete strangers. Why else would they perform a well-known taunt to people they don't know?

Jeremyx7

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Jeremyx7
Actually, looking at your post, I think his response is justified. You said that we had a right to feel what we want, but that doesn't mean it's not ridiculous, and you said "seriously" and "come on" as if we're acting like fools. Why? Isn't sandbagging a taunt? When you taunt, you are intending to bother the other person. How is seeing a stranger sandbagging you and reacting in a negative fashion ridiculous? Yes, we can not respond to it, but that doesn't mean we can't have a negative perception of a person who taunts complete strangers. Why else would they perform a well-known taunt to people they don't know?
First off, a silly animation in a video game vs. an actual taunt to bully someone in real life is completely and utterly different. Any and all negative perception of such a ambiguous gesture in a VIDEO GAME is baseless and therefore in the end a mere assumption on the receivers end.

Secondly, the reason why most people mainly do it or at least why I do it to complete strangers isn't to piss off but rather just to playfully signal to the opponent 'tag you're it' or 'hahaha got you, come get me back!' Similarly to how everything in nature including us humans likes to play fight, compete, and have extra fun. This is just another form of that.

Finally, I used the words 'seriously' & 'come on now' not because I think you all are stupid but because I think you all are miss understanding and overreacting on the concept of 'in game taunts'.

Demosthenes

Inkling
NNID
OrigamiMan
"Why you so salt? It's just game." -Vespher 2015

I admit to doing this, but only on certain situations
- Quad Kills (MAYBE triple kills if it's an Inkmine or something)
- Sprinkler/Splash Wall kills
- Luring people into a spot / On the tower with nothing better to do

I don't mind doing it, but it is quite silly and leaves you open to attack. That being said though, you have not experienced the true joys of Splatoon until you have eight random online players "seabagging" together in a unity of two battling sides. Putting aside their differences for the sake of parties that they so valiantly fought for their right to hold. That is a moment to cherish and celebrate. Thank you.

DarkGold777

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DarkGold777
First off, a silly animation in a video game vs. an actual taunt to bully someone in real life is completely and utterly different. Any and all negative perception of such a ambiguous gesture in a VIDEO GAME is baseless and therefore in the end a mere assumption on the receivers end.

Secondly, the reason why most people mainly do it or at least why I do it to complete strangers isn't to piss off but rather just to playfully signal to the opponent 'tag you're it' or 'hahaha got you, come get me back!' Similarly to how everything in nature including us humans likes to play fight, compete, and have extra fun. This is just another form of that.

Finally, I used the words 'seriously' & 'come on now' not because I think you all are stupid but because I think you all are miss understanding and overreacting on the concept of 'in game taunts'.
Not buying your argument.

First off, your examples of "playfully signal to the opponent" are taunts. They're egging opponents on. "Come and get me" is a taunt. "Tag, you're it" is a taunt. It's fine with people you know, as they know you're just fooling around, but you cannot blame a complete stranger for getting annoyed by sand bagging. After all, seabagging is a substitute for the way people usually sandbag in other games such as shooters: squat over the downed opponent as if you were "going number two" over them. Again, to friends, it's a harmless joke, but you'd likely look like a jerk to complete strangers who don't know who the heck you are, and think you're a fun-ruining troll. It's fun to you, but the others may be legitimately be bothered and not get that you are joking around, and you can't really blame them with how sandbagging is usually percieved.

Next, just because the setting of the taunting is a video game doesn't matter. A taunt is a taunt, the message isn't warped by where you're doing it. Where did bullying come from in your argument, anyway? It's intentionally irritating people, aka trolling, not bullying.

I understand the popular opinion can occasionally be less justified, but I highly doubt we're overreacting. We react differently to things. Some people are fine with scary pranks, but others hate it, and that's fine. Some people laugh at getting their hair shaved as a prank, but others very understandably get ticked off. That's how we are.

@Demosthenes: That's not even taunting people. That's completely fine.

Jeremyx7

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Jeremyx7
@DarkGold777 Completely missing the point of what an actual taunt is. Everything I said was valid. If you feel that strongly and justified about something that hilariously non sensible than have fun worrying about the actual other bigger problems in life all around us.

I didn't even bother finish reading your latest essay on Seabagging because you're one of those people who likes to prove a point even when there is next to no point to make just you can be right in your mind.

If we ever play a match in splatoon I'll be sure to seabag you in hopes you get over yourself. XD

DarkGold777

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DarkGold777
@DarkGold777 Completely missing the point of what an actual taunt is. Everything I said was valid. If you feel that strongly and justified about something that hilariously non sensible than have fun worrying about the actual other bigger problems in life all around us.

I didn't even bother finish reading your latest essay on Seabagging because you're one of those people who likes to prove a point even when there is next to no point to make just you can be right in your mind.

If we ever play a match in splatoon I'll be sure to seabag you in hopes you get over yourself. XD
So if I'm so wrong, then why did you make no effort to make a counter-argument to my latest "essay", instead resorting to saying things akin to "you're this kind of person, you're missing the point, my argument is valid" and not even proving it afterwards? -_-

And if you seabag me in Splatoon, I'll just percieve you as a person who has good intentions, but doesn't get the magnitude of their actions. Not like your own seabagging against me would effect me anyways, since you warned me about it, and you wouldn't really be taunting me as much as you'd be trying to prove your argument by making me witness it (which I already did from plenty of strangers). I know who you are and why you would do it.

Jeremyx7

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Jeremyx7
So if I'm so wrong, then why did you make no effort to make a counter-argument to my latest "essay", instead resorting to saying things akin to "you're this kind of person, you're missing the point, my argument is valid" and not even proving it afterwards? -_-

And if you seabag me in Splatoon, I'll just percieve you as a person who has good intentions, but doesn't get the magnitude of their actions. Not like your own seabagging against me would effect me anyways, since you warned me about it, and you wouldn't really be taunting me as much as you'd be trying to prove your argument by making me witness it (which I already did from plenty of strangers). I know who you are and why you would do it.
I answered and shared all of my viewpoints on the topic more than adequately enough. There's no need to counter anything from you further because you've already shared your limited view point on the topic before your essay. Anything more would just be circles from both of us.

DarkGold777

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DarkGold777
I answered and shared all of my viewpoints on the topic more than adequately enough. There's no need to counter anything from you further because you've already shared your limited view point on the topic before your essay. Anything more would just be circles from both of us.
Then why post at all for this argument without any new points to argue? All you did was say "I'm right, you're missing the point, you just want to feel like you're right.", then add a joke about facing me in Splatoon, and now you claim I have limited knowledge on the topic. I didn't even see your post when I first posted here, let alone know of your existence, so claiming that I just wanted to feel right is bold. I am arguing my point because I am actually interested in such a topic, and I have an opposing viewpoint. If I wasn't interested, I wouldn't have counter-argued against you in the first place. >_>

Jeremyx7

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Jeremyx7
Then why post at all for this argument without any new points to argue? All you did was say "I'm right, you're missing the point, you just want to feel like you're right.", then add a joke about facing me in Splatoon, and now you claim I have limited knowledge on the topic. I didn't even see your post when I first posted here, let alone know of your existence, so claiming that I just wanted to feel right is bold. I am arguing my point because I am actually interested in such a topic, and I have an opposing viewpoint. If I wasn't interested, I wouldn't have counter-argued against you in the first place. >_>
That's very interesting.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom