• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

September Splatfest: Retro vs Modern

Tsene

Full Squid
NNID
freakzene
Switch Friend Code
SW-6942-9915-1395
I'm pretty sure team modrn will win this time. Imo the splatfast just got bigger. If you play as a pro then its the same as it was,uf you play normal you can now team up with friends.I like it so far.
On EU side Retro has a lot good players. I only saw one really awful Retro team so far, others have been stellar. I'd think on EU Retro will win due to their quality squids and octos :p Ofc we'll have to see how it adds up in NA side aswell.

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
I have not had a Splatfest go this badly in a long time.

On team Modern. Played Pro the entire time.

I still came out with a somewhat net positive in terms of W:L against the other team. Was 9:8.

Overall W:L including mirrors was 16:15.

Cephalobro

My experience with Team Modern started out great, we were kicking Retro butts for most of the morning, then came the people with pure gear, that's where it went downhill. I was playing Normal, btw.

Coolkid

Inkling Cadet
my last splatfest where i had this much struggle was the Inkling vs Octoling 1..it is really not fun >~> normally i was almost King but now i still need to get to half of the bar from Hero x.x

Chaos_Knight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Cha0sKnight
So what's with the Splatfest Tees always gaining EXP when you're already full of abilities? I thought it was gonna replace one sub everytime you lvl it up.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
This whole system with the normal and pro modes just makes no sense to me.
First of all, if you're playing with others with voice chat, wouldn't that make more sense in a mode named 'pro'? And if you do, wouldn't you rather NOT get random x10 and x100 battles and some weird gimmick where it's better if you play with similar gear (a system I still don't entirely get either). Both of which only add random elements to the fest. On the other hand, the 'pro' mode is pretty 'normal', all things considered.

It's nice that you can keep playing with the same team in pro, though. That was something I really missed from Splatoon 1. Too bad I didn't get any good teams, lol. I also keep running into the same people on the opponent's team (Modern), which is weird because they seem to be by far the larger team.

Also, this has to be hands down the single worst stage I've yet played on in either Splatoon game. I'm barely motivated to play even to Queen right now with how terrible this Shifty Station is, and I'm certainly going to quit once I hit it (which I still haven't because my w/l ratio is abysmal - it's 12/11 right now).
So what's with the Splatfest Tees always gaining EXP when you're already full of abilities? I thought it was gonna replace one sub everytime you lvl it up.
No, it just gives you a random chunk every 7500 points.
I guess it's nice that you can now keep your good abilities on your fest tee without having to feel guilty that you're not scrubbing, but eh.

Coolkid

Inkling Cadet
in EU team modern was the popular 1 since i had many mirror matches..and since my mirror matches were the easiest and most of retro weren't..i already have a bad feeling..and i don't like it x.x but i at least won 60% of my matches against retro (counted the matches from both losing and winning on splatnet since i wanted to know how i did against them lol) so that's not to bad >.<'' in total i had 21 wins and 13 loses so i shouldn't be complaining though o.o

Last edited:

Nutmeat

Pro Squid
Yeah this Shifty Station sucks, the trampolines are not fun in any way, just an annoyance.

Cephalobro

The whole problem with this Shifty Station, to me is the middle area, that area is where you can lock the other team out of a push so easily depending on the weapon choice.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
I have yet to try pro mode, yet outside of that, this Splatfest has felt rather chill to me—even though I've racked up too many Team Retro losses in solo mode. Oh, and there's still the occasional lag, lobby disconnects, and in-match teammate disconnects. . .

But I really wish there was some way to clearly identify which players are with friends and which ones are solo!

And though I find this Shifty Station cramped and confrontational, I actually enjoy it! (burn the witch!)

It's fun to platform across the stage while evading, it's salty fun to get evaded while someone is on a bounce pad, it's fun to use nearly every special while on a bounce pad, and it's extra fun to splat someone with your special while using it on a bounce pad, and it's super extra fun to watch someone's bounce pad fail! xD
Code:
https://twitter.com/i/status/1043614036909125632

Coolkid

Inkling Cadet
i know we all been negative about the fixes so to say but 1 thing i kinda liked was the random team names you got sometimes,though i still am wondering why my team was sometimes called ''Octoling squad'' and other times ''octoling clan'' what's the difference here? o.o

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
I don't know, guys. I think this new Clout system's not that much different from the old even with the reworks it brings. Then again, maybe I'm wrong and people will suddenly start expecting the popular team to win again.

Anyway, here's the latest screencap of my Splatfest records:

chubbypickle

Inkling Cadet
regardless of the old format or new the main thing i can't stand is playing the same team (modern) in a tournament format.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
The whole problem with this Shifty Station, to me is the middle area, that area is where you can lock the other team out of a push so easily depending on the weapon choice.
There have been matches where the first team to cross the middle just has no chance of losing anymore.
The bouncy pads I don't mind that much, though it's annoying if a bunch of your teammates keep killing themselves thanks to them. It's the general layout of the stage that just doesn't work.
regardless of the old format or new the main thing i can't stand is playing the same team (modern) in a tournament format.
It's either that or waiting for ages for a Retro team to become available.
Either way, it's pretty much impossible to think of a good Splatfest topic where the popularity will be really close to being split 50/50. Of course there are topics where you can for sure say they're going to be uneven (egg vs chicken was one).

Coolkid

Inkling Cadet
playing on shifty station late at night while you are kinda tired..is not a good idea >.< i swear i kept falling off these bouching pads literally a whole match,i was facepalming at some point for real x.x

Ikalula

Inkling
I’ve personally had a blast this Splatfest. Much better than my last go, though maybe it’s because I’m Team Retro, only had 1 mirror the whole time.

I like the Clout system, I think it’s nice to actually physically see your contribution to your team and stuff.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
I had no idea how to do the jump pads until some of my teammates explained it to me, haha. No idea why this game bases jump height on how long you hold the jump button instead of timing. Every other game ever bases jump height on these kinds of things on timing. I looked like the noobiest noob out there until someone told me the backward way the game handles jump pads.

Overall, I loved the changes. Being able to play with one or two friends (instead of solo or three friends like before) is a godsend. I still think they should sprinkle ranked modes in for variance, but this is the first Splatfest ever I enjoyed. Seriously, ever. Between both Splatoons.

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
Woohoo The curse is broken. for now.
I mean i was team retro, but i'm glad that this one wasn't another 1 - 2 least popular team win situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom