Sheldon's Picks Discussion

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
So it seems to me like the Wasabi Splattershot is the main weapon that everybody's using, followed by the Fresh Squiffer and the Permanent Inkbrush. Everything else seems to be few & far in between, especially the Tempered Dynamo Roller. I wonder if the swim speed nerf has anything to do with that...

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
The Tempered Dynamo was really popular during Rainmaker. I had two matches earlier that had four Tempered Dynamos in them each. x) I didn't continue when it switched over to Tower so I dunno if that changed or not. x) I think the Tempered is going to be more popular when flat courses like Port and Kelp are in rotation since it's easier to use Seekers on those type of courses. The Tempered's kit is definitely a great one for Rainmaker and probably just as great for Tower Control.

I've mostly been seeing the Wasabi Splattershot and Berry Splattershot Pro in Turf and Ranked. People are really enjoying their new Suction Bomb Rush and I am not enjoying their new Suction Bomb Rush. :P

CerealboX

Full Squid
NNID
based_fidel
is it true that you need to be level 50 to unlock the tempered dynamo?

Cyan

Inkling Commander
No idea, since I'm Level 50, however, I'm pretty sure NWPlayer stated that all these weapons unlock at Level 20, but the Tempered Dynamo has the boss icon on stats, so you probably need one of the sunken scrolls for it.

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
No, you need to be level 20 and have beaten one of the bosses of the single player campaign that unlocks the schematics for the dynamo.

Squix

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
DetSweg
Okay, I just played around with a few weapons. I started with the tempered dynamo, with some swim speed and ink recovery. It was great. Seekers- heck yes. Killer wail- yup. I think I might switch from the vanilla to this one. I also tried the fresh squiffer, #AllPraiseLordFreshSquiffer. I didn't do very good with it, but much better than with the regular one, so it will be good. The permanant inkbrush- I'm in love. This is the first brush I actually did good with, and it's really fun to just swim around and taunt people.

And, for the berry pro, I think I found my new main. I'm not replacing the dynamo, but gosh, this weapon is so good. I can't even describe it. Suction bombs are really useful, and the bomb rush helps you advance and to clean areas. Also, with the buff on the main weapon, it's just too good.

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
Goodness. There's not much to say that Dolphin hasn't already (over here), but the Soda Slosher is beautiful, even before accounting for the speed buff. Playing it in SZ in the rotation that just ended (as of this post), I definitely won more than I lost (not sure how much, as I switched to the Slosher Deco half-way through to see its new feel too); given that I'm always shaky early in the day and that I can't use the Inkzooka at all, that's a good run.

Gear-wise, I pulled together a set with focus on :ability_swimspeed: and :ability_inksavermain:. It feels awfully liberating no longer to feel forced to use :ability_coldblooded: and I definitely didn't miss that in the games I played.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
LOL, you're a bamboozler fan too? I only recently got into it as a main thanks in part to @Leronne, but, you convinced me to go vanilla hydra and custom eliter over custom hydra and vanilla eliter - so I have to convince you to go mk1/mk2 over mk3 on bamboozler. Burst bombs? Why burst bombs when you've got a weapon that has TWO of the rarest kits in walls and disruptors?? ;)

Especailly since we may be forced back to burst bombs on our eliters :(

Calling it now: Pack two has A hydra with beacons and inkstrike. And maybe an eliter with seekers and seeker rush :) The Unleaded E-Liter.
Lol, I'm actually going to be using the Fresh Squiffer over any of the Boozlers, but I just liked the idea of Burst Bomb Boozlers. . . Too bad they went off and nerfed the Burst Bomb to hell and back. With that said though, I feel the MK II is the best of the three. Disruptor + quick Charge 2HKOs is pretty amazing and tough to beat. The Mk II is what I mained for a little while until I saw the Fresh Squiffer's loadout.

If Hydra does get that loadout, I'm sticking to my custom/Vanilla. . . Beakons are cool, but I can't stand Inkstrike. Disruptor/Suction Bomb + Kraken please and thanks. :D

Floating Eyeball

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Stanley618
I'll need some more practice with both the Tempered Dynamo and the Berry Splattershot Pro, but I'm looking forward to it, they're really fun! (and a mix of things I'm pretty familiar with) I seem to be having some great luck with Seekers recently. I got a few in my first matches of Turf War just sending them out (and this was in a match of mostly levels 50s), and before the patch, I somehow managed to get three in a ranked match. (I'm currently S-rank) I don't expect this to ever happen again, though! :P

The Wasabi Splattershot and Permanent Inkbrush went surprisingly well for me! Splattershots are usually great, and the Inkstrike seemed to work well with it for Turf War! I still don't quite know how to use the Kraken, but I somehow totally clicked with this brush and got a way better strategy than what I usually use for them.

ReeSquidGig

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
Her / she
NNID
Ree
Switch Friend Code
SW-8348-2484-7793
who's favorite weapon is the hydra splatling? because I have no idea how to use it.

WeirdChillFever

Pro Squid
The picks are pretty good, but they really went with random special depletion rates for them.

Why does the MKIII have a "heavy" depletion.
Heavy depletion puts it with meta giants like TTK, Dynamo and Luna Neo.
Do they really think the Bamboozler will get specials left and right because of Burst Bombs?

And then there's the Soda Slosher, which has Inkzooka, buffs to the main weapon and charges quite fast, having a light depletion.

Can't an old man just get his Ink Strike?

ReeSquidGig

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
Her / she
NNID
Ree
Switch Friend Code
SW-8348-2484-7793
That update was great, but what about in s rank? people will do ANYTHING to win, I bet they wont even USE the new, fresh weapon, they'll just use the burst bombs to blow up people until they get their special.... Atleast they're colorful!:kraken::shoes_slp001::shoes_slo001::shoes_sht008::shoes_sht007::shoes_sht006::shoes_sht004:

ReeSquidGig

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
Her / she
NNID
Ree
Switch Friend Code
SW-8348-2484-7793
WHY is it named the Soda Slosher? SODA CANNOT HURT SQUIDS well possibly, but not in a good way, BUT... I do love the design and color of the 'SODA', that comes from it.

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
That update was great, but what about in s rank? people will do ANYTHING to win, I bet they wont even USE the new, fresh weapon
In my experience today (in S Ranked Battles), it looked like at least half of players were using Sheldon's Picks; there were also a lot more Splash-o-matics and Hydra Splatlings to be seen than usual, prompted by the buffs to those.

ReeSquidGig

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
Her / she
NNID
Ree
Switch Friend Code
SW-8348-2484-7793
I'm still going stick to my kelp splatter scope, I can't win without it!

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
In my experience today (in S Ranked Battles), it looked like at least half of players were using Sheldon's Picks; there were also a lot more Splash-o-matics and Hydra Splatlings to be seen than usual, prompted by the buffs to those.
Yes. My lovely splash finally getting the love it deserves.

That update was great, but what about in s rank? people will do ANYTHING to win, I bet they wont even USE the new, fresh weapon, they'll just use the burst bombs to blow up people until they get their special.... Atleast they're colorful!:kraken::shoes_slp001::shoes_slo001::shoes_sht008::shoes_sht007::shoes_sht006::shoes_sht004:
S and S+ was pretty colurful. But it was just as the weapons came out, so need to check again withing the week to see if S+ really will be colurful instead of it's super boring self. Seriously i prevered being in S because of how unoriginal S+ was.

ReeSquidGig

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
Her / she
NNID
Ree
Switch Friend Code
SW-8348-2484-7793
YES, I know those certain squids that love to use the bomb rush from the splash o matics, on the splat zones, there is no way to dodge those bombs!

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
Not to be a smart-mouth, but if you want to bandy it about, I suggest spelling it better: avant-garde.
LOL, I was in a hurry and paying little attention :p

So it seems to me like the Wasabi Splattershot is the main weapon that everybody's using, followed by
the Fresh Squiffer and the Permanent Inkbrush. Everything else seems to be few & far in between, especially the Tempered Dynamo Roller. I wonder if the swim speed nerf has anything to do with that...
That's not surprising, the Wasabi is the bog standard "standard" weapon. Balanced in all things, and now finally is the most bog standard shooter with the most bog standard sub. Hard to top complete balance. But it's boring :p But who DIDN'T see that coming? :)

Squiffer and inkbrush, I don't think everyone's using them because they're so good, but because they're finally actually viable forms of really fun weapons that were previously of limited viability due to the kits :) I doubt we'll see droves of squiffer and brush mains pop up after the fun wears off, we'll just see more of them than before.

Lol, I'm actually going to be using the Fresh Squiffer over any of the Boozlers, but I just liked the idea of Burst Bomb Boozlers. . . Too bad they went off and nerfed the Burst Bomb to hell and back. With that said though, I feel the MK II is the best of the three. Disruptor + quick Charge 2HKOs is pretty amazing and tough to beat. The Mk II is what I mained for a little while until I saw the Fresh Squiffer's loadout.

If Hydra does get that loadout, I'm sticking to my custom/Vanilla. . . Beakons are cool, but I can't stand Inkstrike. Disruptor/Suction Bomb + Kraken please and thanks. :D
hehe, the burst boozler, I haven't tried yet, I imagine it's fun but I can't imagine it keeps up with mk1 and mk2. I've seen a lot of people that prefer the mk2 but I've been playing with both the mk1 and mk2 and they both have their uses. Saltspray zones for example kind of "meh" with disruptors but walls are DEVASTATING. AnchoV zones on the other hand, disruptors all the way! Compared to those two options, burst bombs are just so...bland.

But Fresh squiffer, I saved that and inkbrush for today when I'm more awake patch dropped way too late last night) because I'm going to looove those weapons! :)

They don't like giving great kits to heavy weapons. It'll be beacons and inkstrike :p Though I can see suction bombs and kraken - they like mainstreaming stuff, I can see Hydra going that route. Too similar to CLiter with the kraken, though.

FWIW I briefly played with soda slosher (It's a good weapon but I'm kind of ambivalent about it. Never was a slosher fan but it's a lot better now!) Berry SSPro is amazing though I think most of the awesome comes from the main weapon buff and the fresh paint job than the suction bombs. IMO it's a better squelcher than squelcher now, and the range and speed might be a little TOO much. It feels less like an SSPro that used to have to be used charger-like and more like a more powerful JS. It's awesome...and I'm good with it....but I fear that SSPro in all forms is the new TTK. OP NEEDZ NUURRF!! ;)

All the bomb rushes now though are kind of game breaking and highly irritating. It shuts down too much of the map too long, and grinds the framerate into non-stop lag. That's not what the WiiU hardware needs.

Xehias

Pro Squid
NNID
Xehias
The Tempered Dynamo is beastly on Camp Triggerfish Zones. The vanilla is already pretty great, but the Tempered’s kit is perfect for this map. I just sat in one spot assisting the E-liter on my team (who was on our side) with Seekers and keeping the zones inked at all times. It also seemed to work well on Arowana Mall Rainmaker. I’m really feeling that speed nerf though… I’m definitely going to experiment more with the Tempered and see where it works. Hopefully I’ll figure out Seekers in the meantime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom