Sheldon's Picks Discussion

Xehias

Pro Squid
NNID
Xehias
The Tempered Dynamo actually gives it a decent kit for Port Mackerel. Haven't played it on there yet but it just looks like the wail and seekers will compliment it there. And just when we thought they had a stage they were weak on.
Haven’t gotten to try it on Port Mackerel either but I agree.

I’m really loving the Tempered Dynamo. I played a couple of Ranked Battles and it lends itself well to Hammerhead Bridge. It’s such an interesting weapon to use, and it doesn’t suffer the same Special loss as the other Dynamos. Gonna tentatively say it’s overall the best Dynamo out there for now. The vanilla variant is excellent for support, the Tempered is very mobile and will get Killer Wails constantly, and the Gold is… something (even with the Inkstrike buff, its kit is kinda lackluster and boring, IMO—there’s nothing Splat Bombs can do that the main weapon can’t in the way of reaching distant enemies).

PORYGON.zip

Inkling
NNID
PORYGON.zip
i only tried out the slosher and its pretty fun, I just wish that they had a sniper charger maybe one in the next Volume

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
The Tempered Dynamo actually gives it a decent kit for Port Mackerel. Haven't played it on there yet but it just looks like the wail and seekers will compliment it there. And just when we thought they had a stage they were weak on.
I was using the Tempered Dynamo during Rainmaker last night when Port Mackerel was in rotation. It's set was practically made for Rainmaker and it definitely does extremely well during Rainmaker. It made earlier ambushes particularly easy on this stage. It was simply enough to quickly travel through the corridors and pop out on the other team's side to take them out or at least scatter them away from the Rainmaker. :)

I didn't actually notice it but there's a new "Special Depletion" mark for the weapons. If you look at them in your inventory and press X, you'll see what category they're in. It's a nice little touch to prevent confusion for players. It's a little all over the place though. o.o Like the Tempered Dynamo Roller is a "Medium" weapon but the Dynamo Roller is a "Heavy" weapon. The Bamboozler MK III is a "Heavy" weapon (.....why...?) but the Bamboozler MK II is a "Light" weapon. x)

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
I was using the Tempered Dynamo during Rainmaker last night when Port Mackerel was in rotation. It's set was practically made for Rainmaker and it definitely does extremely well during Rainmaker. It made earlier ambushes particularly easy on this stage. It was simply enough to quickly travel through the corridors and pop out on the other team's side to take them out or at least scatter them away from the Rainmaker. :)

I didn't actually notice it but there's a new "Special Depletion" mark for the weapons. If you look at them in your inventory and press X, you'll see what category they're in. It's a nice little touch to prevent confusion for players. It's a little all over the place though. o.o Like the Tempered Dynamo Roller is a "Medium" weapon but the Dynamo Roller is a "Heavy" weapon. The Bamboozler MK III is a "Heavy" weapon (.....why...?) but the Bamboozler MK II is a "Light" weapon. x)
The light, medium and heavy written below weapons doesn't have to do with the weapon's actual weight. It has to do with how much special is lost upon being splatted. Light being 40%, medium being 60% and Heavy being 75%. The tentatek is an example of a "heavy" weapon.

NovaScienceNever

Senior Squid
The light, medium and heavy written below weapons doesn't have to do with the weapon's actual weight. It has to do with how much special is lost upon being splatted. Light being 40%, medium being 60% and Heavy being 75%. The tentatek is an example of a "heavy" weapon.
I don't think Airi believed that at all. It's just confusing as to why they would be so varied on what weapons get what mark, clearly the splatoon devs think that burst bombs are better at covering turf now than they think if we've got some complaints, or it's just people still needing to get used to the strategies that need to be employed.

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
I know that. ^.^ I'm just confused why some weapons were put in one class while other variants were put in the other. Like the Bamboozler MK III. It's a slower weapon that doesn't have the best ink coverage even with Burst Bombs. So I don't understand why it deserves to lose 75% of its special when its splatted when it can already barely get its special to begin with. x)

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
I know that. ^.^ I'm just confused why some weapons were put in one class while other variants were put in the other. Like the Bamboozler MK III. It's a slower weapon that doesn't have the best ink coverage even with Burst Bombs. So I don't understand why it deserves to lose 75% of its special when its splatted when it can already barely get its special to begin with. x)
oh. well i honestly think that might be a mistake by the developer's part. or maybe they think the amboozler mk III will be too op.

SplatoonisBagels

Inkster Jr.
NNID
joje02
So far, based off my current gameplay, the new Sheldon's Picks seem to be really good. The developers sure stepped up their game because i've been seeing so much S Rank players with the Wasabi Splattershot, Soda Slosher and the Berry Splattershot Pro in both Rainmaker and Tower Control. I've also been seeing a couple Permanent Inkbrushes, Tempered Dynamo and the Fresh Squiffer make its way along but seen only one Bamboozler and Refurbished Mini. Great kits for half but I was suprised that no one here was talking much about the Refurbished Splatling. The Burst Bomb nerf actually kind of helps the Refurbished because despite a two bomb throw, the bomb rush is now more reliable with a greater burst radius and minimal damage output. Also, compared to its Zink counterpart, it may fall but in the right hands, its great. I've been finding the most success with this weapon and I literally love the paint job because it looks so sleek. Also, i've been playing the Classic Squiffer previously and the Fresh Squiffer is a great set to play around with. Overall great job to Sheldon but seriously, the Refurbished Mini Splatling needs some love.

Rip in pieces all burst bomb mains. May you become well built from your pieces into another refurbished weapon with Burst Bomb Rush.

E-Liter mains better aim during close combat too now. That long range target practice should help.

Cake or Death

Full Squid
NNID
McProle
In my experience today (in S Ranked Battles), it looked like at least half of players were using Sheldon's Picks; there were also a lot more Splash-o-matics and Hydra Splatlings to be seen than usual, prompted by the buffs to those.
Yeah, and expect to see even more of those weapons in the new update. Could be why we're seeing them now; people are getting used to them in preparation.

The Berry Splattershot Pro is going to see a lot of use too, considering the upcoming buffs to Splattershot Pro weapons is going to make them insane.

EDIT: wait, is 2.7.0 out now? I didn't realise. That makes what I've written look a little odd. So THAT is why we're seeing Splash-o-matics and Hydras in ranked now.

Berry Pro is going to be the new meta. The original Pro was pretty strong before the update and it has gone bezerk in the update, and the Berry has some really good kit attached to it.

Also, funny how they released two new Chargers at the same time they change the meta by nerfing snap firing on Chargers..

Last edited:

Nousha

Full Squid
NNID
NoushaKhanom
Tbh I really like the seeker as a dynamo sub. It provides for much better mobility and it's nice too that they now spread more ink.

CerealboX

Full Squid
NNID
based_fidel
No, you need to be level 20 and have beaten one of the bosses of the single player campaign that unlocks the schematics for the dynamo.
thanks for clearing it up and which weapon did you try out first? (I'm guessing the Berry Splattershot Pro cause your profile pic shows the Forge Splattershot Pro)

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
thanks for clearing it up and which weapon did you try out first? (I'm guessing the Berry Splattershot Pro cause your profile pic shows the Forge Splattershot Pro)
Yup. Not that big of a fan though. I prefer the forge because of it's color scheme. Might come in handy in rainmaker, but i'll stick to the forge for the most part.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
Yup. Not that big of a fan though. I prefer the forge because of it's color scheme. Might come in handy in rainmaker, but i'll stick to the forge for the most part.
LOL, freshness first? :D

For me the bright colored Berry is a lot more fun to use than the industrial looking forge. Technically I still like the splat bombs on the vanilla best in terms of function, though.

Nousha

Full Squid
NNID
NoushaKhanom
LOL, freshness first? :D

For me the bright colored Berry is a lot more fun to use than the industrial looking forge. Technically I still like the splat bombs on the vanilla best in terms of function, though.
The bright color on the BSP is a bit of a turn-off, I admit, but I think a lot of people enjoy playing cooler looking weapons more.

The Refurbished Mini Splatling looks really fresh since I personally find the plain green on the other ones a bit too generic, but since the burst bomb was nerfed pretty hard unfortunately (imo), it seems that the Zink mini will over all be the better choice.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
The bright color on the BSP is a bit of a turn-off, I admit, but I think a lot of people enjoy playing cooler looking weapons more.

The Refurbished Mini Splatling looks really fresh since I personally find the plain green on the other ones a bit too generic, but since the burst bomb was nerfed pretty hard unfortunately (imo), it seems that the Zink mini will over all be the better choice.
I really like the Refurb. Personally i'm liking it more than the Zink which surprises me. Disruptors are amazing, but the refurb can use the splat bombs to mount escapes more easily and pressure opponents back in a way that disruptors stupidly won't do. But more importantly, the bubble always seemed a modest fit for a weapon like zink, while it's now one of the few weapons to get burst bomb rush AND charge it fast. Burst bomb deadliness may be nerfed, but inkage was increased. You can seriously mess up the battlefield REALLY fast with the refurb which can really turn the tide of battle fast. I thought I'd hate it and stick with zink...but I'm amazed how useful the bursts are. And it looks SOOO fresh. I love the refurb inspector ID barcode sticker on it that looks like it fell off a dump table at Home Depot. :)

ParanoidDrone

Full Squid
NNID
ParanoidDrone
Copying my post on Sheldon's Picks from a different topic...

I've only done a single Turf War match with each new weapon, but for once I was glad of the game's tendency to give you the same map several times in a row. Made it easier to compare everything.

I still suck with anything in the charger family. The Fresh Squiffer and Bamboozler Mk. III were disasters. At least I got 500p inked with both, small mercies. These were both done on Mahi-Mahi, everything else was on Walleye.

The Permanent Inkbrush was surprisingly fun considering I don't normally do well with short-range weapons. There was a fun moment where an enemy charger had me in his sights and I used the brush to zip all over the place to dodge his shots on my way to safety. I struggled with it in the first minute or so before I remembered I had Splat Bombs, and using them to flush enemies out worked like a charm. Bomb Range Up helped, I think.

Wasabi Splattershot was dead simple to use. I have less than 10k inked combined between the regular and Tentatek Splattershots, so needless to say I don't use either that often, but the Wasabi reminded me of the Jr. a bit. Easy to use main gun + Splat Bombs as a typical grenade-type sub. I found myself quite at home.

I had the most P inked with Refurbished Mini Splatling, which probably isn't that surprising. Stacked a bunch of Rockenberg gear for the Run Speed Up, plus a Bomb Range Up for good measure. (Black Inky Rider is love.) There was a charger on the upper right grate in Walleye, next to the large crate, and I used Bomb Rush to spam the hell out of him for the kill. Still not terribly fond of Burst Bombs (they're mind-numbingly boring, although still effective) but that's my only complaint.

The Berry Splattershot Pro is probably the one I was most excited to try out, but I forgot just how awful it is at spreading ink. Suction Bombs and Bomb Rush help make up for it, but infinite special isn't a thing. (Thank god.) The range + power is still a lovely combination though and I look forward to exploring all 3 variants more in the future now that it got a range and shot velocity buff.

For the Tempered Dynamo I got a bit proactive and stacked Swim Speed Up before even joining a lobby, and that worked pretty well. I'm still not that great with Dynamos in general, but I did respectably. The wider ink trail on Seekers is surprisingly noticeable; I didn't expect it to make much of a difference but it did. Highlight: Surprised a charger point-blank from the side.

The Soda Slosher got me my best K/D and I was even able to spawncamp the enemy a bit during the last 10 seconds or so. I'm still bad at aiming the Inkzooka, but I got a double kill with one shot so...progress.

Nousha

Full Squid
NNID
NoushaKhanom
@Award I think that's good insight and I bought it last night actually. We'll see how things play out but I may change my mind. I have a feeling the Zinc might be better (tbh I haven't really played either outside of training, just going off of impressions) but the thing about escapes might be true.

I'm heavily biased on this but in terms of how applicable they are, I consider burst bombs to have been nerfed pretty much to the ground from an E-liter Scope's perspective. They were really my only way of dealing with closer quarter combat and sneak attacks but the inkage increase freaking RUINED it's viability in that sense. Kill power basically stayed the same but that's really what I used them for. It's really easy now to get rendered helpless if an attack fails/misses since now, by default, the max number of bombs that can be thrown per tank was sliced in half, a whole ton of ink-saver-subs are now necessary if you even want to get 3 bombs throw-able in a row. Yes I know blast radius was increased but it's still really easy to run out of ink if you need to escape, which is pretty damn frustrating.

HOWEVER, as the way it applies to the refurbished mini splatling (or weapons like the normal splattershot), it might be a whole different story. The burst bomb itself may have been grounded as far as how good a sub-weapon it is (burst-cancelling is kinda pointless with refurb mini), but the overall goodness of what a burst bomb does as itself greatly increased. Because burst bomb rush eliminates the factor of ink-consummation, I think the payload of it now just got a ridiculous buff.

I'll really have to see, but paired up with (I forget the exact names lol) that ability to decrease charge time for the special, plus special duration up (and run speed up too), I think the refurbished mini might have a really promising future. :^) I'm feeling it might do best in turf war and splat zones though. Zinc would do better in tower control imo and they might be on par in rainmaker.

AlsoDededork649

Pro Squid
NNID
DARandall4711
So for Vol. 2... I'd love to see a Squelcher get in. Maybe Jet with Disruptor and Inkzooka, or a Seeker Rush?

Another deserving weapon IMO is a Splat Chagrer and Splatterscope. Inkstrike is something I've wanted to see on a charger, it's technically a form of sniping. For sub slap a Beakon on it. Beakon/Inkstrike sounds like a cool combo actually.

Lastly give the Aerospray some love with Suction Bomb / Killer Wail.

ParanoidDrone

Full Squid
NNID
ParanoidDrone
So for Vol. 2... I'd love to see a Squelcher get in. Maybe Jet with Disruptor and Inkzooka, or a Seeker Rush?

Another deserving weapon IMO is a Splat Chagrer and Splatterscope. Inkstrike is something I've wanted to see on a charger, it's technically a form of sniping. For sub slap a Beakon on it. Beakon/Inkstrike sounds like a cool combo actually.

Lastly give the Aerospray some love with Suction Bomb / Killer Wail.
I really want something with Beakons + Inkstrike so I can make a Recon + Quick Super Jump build for Inkstrike sniping and easy return via Beakons, but I am nearly incapable of using a charger with anything resembling competence. It's just not my forte.

Although if we're listing kits we want, .52 Gal with Disruptor + Echolocator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom