Sheldon's Picks Volume 2 Announced

MeTaGross

Inkling Cadet
I honestly don't know what to say at this point. I have had complete garbage luck with teams so far and I can't actually try any without playing like crap. I tried using the cherry but I didn't do well with it on salt rig and I had multiple disconnects on bluefin along with a match where every single player had a splash wall! I don't want to use the n-zap or PG because obviously that's all people will be using. When using the grim I was doing great, but I ended up with a team of three grims against a team with none, and I didn't get to the remix, 7, or bento. I just hope this is just crap luck, because I had at least 5 total disconnects after having almost none the past several weeks. Once it even said I had no internet and it sent me to the plaza, and then I reconnected in seconds! I was the only one using any internet!

Shun_one

Pro Squid
NNID
not_shun_one
Yes, most likely. Just for one match, but I figured it might be you because of the name and weapon choice.
This is good. We should squad at some point in time (this offer goes to you guys who know me too).

@MeTaGross
Probably just a spot of bad luck. I'd stop for a 10 minute or so break then try again and see if you have better luck, because testing these out in Turf or Squads is definitely the best way to do it. Unless it's a variation of your primaries that is. I have yet to try the Bento, but I hear it's quite strong.

Dobar

Inkling
NNID
Dobar1
Tried every new weapon except the Chargers. I liked all of them except for CoroCoro Roller and Sploosh-o-matic 7, but that's mostly due to my dislike of the Inkzooka. Would've preferred any other special. Aero PG and N-ZAP '83 are probably the ones I'll be using the most.

Kinda related since it happened while trying out these new weapons too: I have a bad habit of accidentally going into Ranked without thinking, even if I'm meaning to play Turf War, so sorry to anyone who happened to be in my team when I was testing the Grim Range Blaster and N-ZAP '83 for the first time:oops:
Haha. I do that too. Even with 1* gear. I HATE when this happends. I hope to learn someday.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
I'm actually pretty happy with the depletion rates for the new weapons. Except for the Aerospray. Should have been light instead of medium if you ask me. The ability to use Kraken and charge it up easily in return for the awful kill potential this weapon has is something that should be furthered rather than limited.

By the way @Shun_one, have you been around Moray Towers Turf War this week with the custom E-Liter by any chance?
I think giving it too much kraken use would end up undermining the krak-on roller which is more or less a one trick pony except for those who employ complicated beacon strategies. I would have thought burst cancelling gave the PG a much much faster ttk than a traditional aerospray though. Aero isn't THAT bad at killing, it's just slow. I would have thought a burst cancel would dramatically speed things along.

I honestly don't know what to say at this point. I have had complete garbage luck with teams so far and I can't actually try any without playing like crap. I tried using the cherry but I didn't do well with it on salt rig and I had multiple disconnects on bluefin along with a match where every single player had a splash wall! I don't want to use the n-zap or PG because obviously that's all people will be using. When using the grim I was doing great, but I ended up with a team of three grims against a team with none, and I didn't get to the remix, 7, or bento. I just hope this is just crap luck, because I had at least 5 total disconnects after having almost none the past several weeks. Once it even said I had no internet and it sent me to the plaza, and then I reconnected in seconds! I was the only one using any internet!
It's less that 24 hours since two new chargers, a new range blaster, a new splatling, and a new H-freaking-3 nozzlenose were released and you're confused as to why your teams are even worse than normal? :D:p

The connection issues are weird though. But I've found when one gets booted there's often two that do with the way the P2P is set up, so it might just be the laggers connected to you pulling you out. I've seen the "no internet" thing before which I roughly translate into "Nintendo's FUBAR'd NIC driver just took a dump following an unrecoverable error. Please try again."

MeTaGross

Inkling Cadet
This is good. We should squad at some point in time (this offer goes to you guys who know me too).

@MeTaGross
Probably just a spot of bad luck. I'd stop for a 10 minute or so break then try again and see if you have better luck, because testing these out in Turf or Squads is definitely the best way to do it. Unless it's a variation of your primaries that is. I have yet to try the Bento, but I hear it's quite strong.
Nah, I think I should stop playing for a while and do some other stuff. It will also help people realize that they actually can't use the H-3 :p
Somehow I was actually doing better with the vanilla H-3 than the cherry, which really surprised me!
I think giving it too much kraken use would end up undermining the krak-on roller which is more or less a one trick pony except for those who employ complicated beacon strategies. I would have thought burst cancelling gave the PG a much much faster ttk than a traditional aerospray though. Aero isn't THAT bad at killing, it's just slow. I would have thought a burst cancel would dramatically speed things along.

It's less that 24 hours since two new chargers, a new range blaster, a new splatling, and a new H-freaking-3 nozzlenose were released and you're confused as to why your teams are even worse than normal? :D:p

The connection issues are weird though. But I've found when one gets booted there's often two that do with the way the P2P is set up, so it might just be the laggers connected to you pulling you out. I've seen the "no internet" thing before which I roughly translate into "Nintendo's FUBAR'd NIC driver just took a dump following an unrecoverable error. Please try again."
Yeah, I should probably wait a few days :D

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
By my Range Blaster standards, I did pretty nicely with the Grim in RM! Aaand yet I promptly had a loss streak of 6 or so, losing my S+ for the first time. Not complaining hugely, as I need to prove to myself that my breakout performance last week wasn't a complete one-off. I claim headache as my excuse for today's poor show!

I can name two key issues. The first was that the reason I seemed to do well was because I was just at the top of my Range Blaster game: I didn't utilise the potential of the Burst Bombs at all, using them instead almost purely for mobility and, if we ever got a good position (which we didn't), zoning. That's a matter of practice with this set, I guess.

Second problem was that... virtually every match, there was a Grim on the opposing team, and they were invariably frightening. If there's a mirror or at least a close match of one's own weapon, I find that one really stands a bad chance of winning overall if one is the poorer player of that weapon in the room. I wasn't awful within the rooms in which I played, but it looks like the S+80 Range Blasters all came out to play and outplay...

Award

The presence of the Grim frightens me since Range Blasters come in two varieties: Those that take 6 shots to hit, and bunny hopping ohko blasters that never miss. I swear the get twice as many shots in as it feels like I do when I play the things!

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel

@MeTaGross
Won't say no to that. :)

I see where you're coming from. Definitely got a point there. Pushing the Krak-On into redundancy could be an eventual problem. On the other hand I do I see the Aerospray's extremely bad kill power rather because of the terrible range and accuracy, unless of course you manage to get right in the opponent's face. In that sense I find the Krak-On to be a much more reliable tool, though that would probably still be no proper reason for the Aerospray beating the Krak-On in Kraken use.
They could have really fixed the Aerospray a little. I get that it would run in danger of making the Splattershot Jr. redundant, but I only find its new kit is the only thing making it a viable weapon for combat at this point.

Award

Won't say no to that. :)

I see where you're coming from. Definitely got a point there. Pushing the Krak-On into redundancy could be an eventual problem. On the other hand I do I see the Aerospray's extremely bad kill power rather because of the terrible range and accuracy, unless of course you manage to get right in the opponent's face. In that sense I find the Krak-On to be a much more reliable tool, though that would probably still be no proper reason for the Aerospray beating the Krak-On in Kraken use.
They could have really fixed the Aerospray a little. I get that it would run in danger of making the Splattershot Jr. redundant, but I only find its new kit is the only thing making it a viable weapon for combat at this point.
Personally I've always felt the aerospray had surprising range. I recall being picked off by aerosprays from way farther than I would think possible and thinking "what the heck just got me all the way over here?" The pathetic ttk is it's main problem, and the RNG at range (which comes back to ttk due to accuracy spread) That's why I was thinking with a burst cancel, it could start to leverage its range over the Jr and end up with similar or better kill times. Between Sploosh and jr and Aero, it's a weird trio to balance. Sploosh is the fastest kill up close short of rollers and H3. Jr is a bit more lag resistant. Aero has more range but has such slow kill times that while on PAPER it's a great tradeoff for its range, in practice makes it non-viable for ranked. If they buff it's kill too much it would stand to obsolete Jr. and sploosh. But keeping it so weak it's useless compared to them. I was hoping the burst bombs would be a great "down the middle" compromise to improve ttk without making it instantly more powerful than the other two.

Magnus0

Pro Squid
I would have prefered echo over kraken for the aerospray. That way, the aero wouldn't be so forced into an offensive role. It could have focused on it's strenghts, such as it's amazing ink coverage and it's fast echo charge, while maintaining that agressive burst bomb playstyle with essentially a mini bomb rush build into the special.

Kraken seems like a really bland and wrong choice. Just slapping an invincibility special on an underused weapon doesn't make it viable, especially not when that weapon is really more of a support weapon.

G1ng3rGar1

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-7732-8500-1233
I would have prefered echo over kraken for the aerospray. That way, the aero wouldn't be so forced into an offensive role.
Kraken seems like a really bland and wrong choice. Just slapping an invincibility special on an underused weapon doesn't make it viable, especially not when that weapon is really more of a support weapon.
I don't care what the Aero is built for, I use the RG offensively. And with the PG, I'll probably use it offensively too. :) ;)

G1ng3rGar1

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-7732-8500-1233
A burst bomb/echo kit still has lots of offensive potential though.
I never actually thought of pairing an Aero with Echolocator before.
I just wanted Bubbler/Kraken because I throw myself into the fray a lot. XD (I also hide a lot because I know my range absolutely sucks)

Dobar

Inkling
NNID
Dobar1
I have been playing around with the Bento Splatterscope some. And I'm lööving it.

Am I mad or are my 3 main abillities okay? ink resistance, run speed and one in damage. I seem to do okay with it.

Played around 100-200ish games with sniper earlier so I have a little experince since before.

Note: my rank goes up and down from A to S.

Bloop

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-2151-0062-7941
I'm loving the Bento and Corocoro but I still need to send it to the Ranked fields. I like Cherry's set but I'm bad with the weapon, I am determined to improve my H-3 game. Remix is cool but I like my Kelp scope more. :b
Still haven't tried PG, 7, Grim, or '83.

Ansible

Community Ambassador
I'm guessing I had to go shopping immediately after the update and before the next day rolled over? The Corocoro cap and sweat aren't in my rotation but I managed to order the cap off someone from turf wars. And I find it odd that people still want to squid party on a day like this. I'm cool with you lil darlings in my turf war, but too many of us want to test out our new weapons instead. Do that next week.

Played around with the Heavy Splatling Remix and Aerospray PG while wearing three special gauge up mains. Utterly ridiculous how quickly and often I gained a Killer Wail/Kraken. I either just had to waste them or go hunting for someone to use them on. Makes me want to start grinding some pure special gauge up gear for the lulz.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I can confirm that the Grim Range Blaster is a ***** to deal with. One Burst Bomb and one fired shot to seal the deal, splatting like a Carbon Roller with about 3x the range.

Myself, I decided to give in to the H-3 Cherry hype. I don't know what I should've expected, but... I find myself doing well as a kind of harasser, keeping enemy squiddos distracted while my teammates fight for control of the map. I can live with that; it means I'm dying a lot more often, but methinks a little Quick Respawn would go a long way towards alleviating that.

Kowai Yume

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Kowai_Yume
New weapons were meh in my opinion. The loadouts were okay but I already, but nothing clicked with me. I find it really funny that weapons I rarely see in rank finally get some recognition when a kraken/bubble was added. Seems people really like their panic button.

Cyan

Inkling Commander
New weapons were meh in my opinion. The loadouts were okay but I already, but nothing clicked with me. I find it really funny that weapons I rarely see in rank finally get some recognition when a kraken/bubble was added. Seems people really like their panic button.
Don't I know it, back when weapons were out on an almost weekly basis, the only ones that were spotted and talked about were those with Bubbler/Kraken/Inkzooka. Generally these specials are considered the best so people automatically swarm them. I even saw comments like "ANOTHER Kraken/Bubbler?" there was even talk that they were the most used specials ingame when they weren't (Inkzooka has always been 1st, Kraken is 2nd or 3rd now with Volume 2). Bubbler has 9 weapon sets ingame and is the least used in sets, yet you see more Bubbler than Echo/Wail/Inkstrike, all 3 of which have significantly more sets than Bubbler (ignoring scopes and reskins). Sure you can argue that Seeker/Bomb Rush is the rarest, but I group Bomb Rush in 1 group, as the special varies by sub and the game calls them all Bomb Rush anyway.

I've played with all the weapons for a little bit (bar Bento's non-scoped but that's trivial imo), and the ones that jumped out at me were the CoroCoro Roller, the Bento, the N-ZAP '83 (aside from the fresh design, that kit is great) and the Sploosh (played it in 1 or 2 Turf matches and it felt nice, I feel like it has potential). The others felt awkward as the sets didn't really click with the main. The H3 needed Burst Bubbler or Disruptor Kraken (putting Bubbler on N-ZAP with the Sensors) to help its inconsistency at landing 3 shots. The Grim lacks anything good, sure the Bursts improve TTK and mobility, but you should be going for directs anyway and Wail isn't a good choice for it either. I never really got on with the Splatling line (except Mini, I may try to learn the Vanilla alongside the Refurb) and that set feels natural on the Kelp but doesn't feel good with the Heavy. That leaves the PG, which I knew would never work out when I heard its set. The MG has the best set still, it can Seeker surf to get close enough to splat enemies and the Inkzooka counters the mediocre range. If I'm to play a short ranged weapon with Kraken, the Neo Sploosh is the best option as it flanks so much more effectively than the PG with a faster TTK and is Light special loss whereas the PG is Medium. Not to mention that the same set is done better on the Custom Jet and L3 D (Custom Jet is Light loss too). Still, 4 of 8 weapons isn't bad right? Also I only saw the new weapons in Turf, most of solo ranked used the typical weapons with the odd Bento, N-ZAP and Aeromeme. I saw a few more in squads though (most likely because rank is static in squads for S/S+ players :P).

WeirdChillFever

Pro Squid
With the NZAP 83, I can run to mid in Kelp Dome before the opponent gets there swimming and I always have a Kraken ready before the opponent comes.
This way, I can easily splat three people.

Also, you can throw Point Sensors as soon as you see an opponent approaching, meaning you can tag the opponent before Krakening them, or as a wall of information.

Could you imagine the opening plays with this weapon when you have Opening Gambit!
I thought Carbon was good at this but the NZAP is amazing at opening plays due to its run speed, tagging ability and Kraken.

On top of that, Kraken is amazing in Rainmaker, I've won multiple times with snail trails to the dunker.

I use this gear with it:

2-Striped Mesh Cap: :ability_specialsaver:|:ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_swimspeed:
Krak-On 528: :ability_runspeed:|:ability_runspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
Punk Whites :ability_specialcharge:|:ability_bombrange::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:

This allows for speedy walling with Point Sensors until there's an opening in the defenses (with Kraken or without) and then it becomes a slayer build.

The weapon is basically a slayer guardian, protect with Ink Support, Point Sensors or a well-aimed Kraken and slay with the main weapon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom