Sheldon's Picks Volume 2 Announced

SurrealSquid

Semi-Pro Squid
Splash wall and Echo on the new Splatterscope? Sounds like fun. The wall could help take care of enemy e-liters. This is what I´ve been waiting for!
The other kits sound nice as well. I´ll purchase all of the weapons and try them out anyway.

Cyan

Inkling Commander
all I can say about the new N-zap is R.I.P Neo Sploosh. hopefully the new sploosh has a great set so I still have an excuse to use it.
Nah, the Neo Sploosh won't be killed off by the N-ZAP '83, since it plays differently from the N-ZAPs anyway. The Custom Dual didn't prevent people picking up the original Sploosh when that released, and the Dual had a lot more range but a slower TTK. The same will hold true here, but the Neo Sploosh did dip in popularity for a while but has been picking up again. The Neo Sploosh is the weapon that's all about delving deep into enemy territory and attacking from behind and doing all kinds of sneak attacks where it pops up, splats someone, then moves off and repeats the move. From what I've heard the N-ZAP matches the range of the Splattershot since it had various buffs made to it, so this version of the N-ZAP will be a "search and destroy" weapon, where it tags people with Point Sensors, then uses its decent range to confront people head on, and falls back on its Kraken when it becomes clear it won't win the confrontation. This will be an interesting weapon to see, as it will provide an interesting new take on this set that the Sploosh and Heavy Deco can't do. As for the Heavy Deco, with its great range and fast TTK it will remain better than the N-ZAP '83 where the Heavy spots it early on (just like how the Heavy beats the Neo Sploosh in the same way) whilst the N-ZAP '83 and Neo Sploosh will beat the Heavy Deco when they ambush it or approach without being detected. All of these weapons will sit alongside each other quite comfortably without one being a detriment to the other's viability. What I'm interested to see is exactly what Special Depletion it gets, as the Neo Sploosh is on Light, and the Heavy Deco is on Medium, because if this gets Heavy that may harm it's viability. Personally I'll see it getting Medium, as it is much better than the 85 and 89 but isn't an outright powerhouse of a weapon (such as the Tentatek, .96 Deco, Zimi and other Heavy loss weapons - Zimi is Heavy from 2.8.0) to warrant Heavy special loss.

I'm definitely glad to see the new Splat Charger getting a set that will make it viable against the Kelp and Vanilla. Splash Walls and Echolocator sits it in a nice place between the Bamboozler Mk I and the E-Litre 3K. Splash Walls will be great to hide behind on it, as the range will allow it to safely attack and snipe others, and throwing a Splash Wall than using the special will be a great strategy for it as it will protect the user and give them positions to pick off people. This weapon will be genuinely powerful and can be a cause for concern in matches, provided it's used correctly of course. The Range Blaster is my concern, the Burst Bombs are great for faster splats, but Killer Wail on it feels awkward, it can't support it the same way Kraken does, obviously it couldn't have got Bubbler due to the Custom Blaster and Rapid Blaster. I can't think of anything to give it that wouldn't detriment it in comparison to the other Range Blasters.

Reactions: blu

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
Yes, yes! Good Range Blaster set. It's so slow that Burst Bombs very probably improve its TTK, although I'm shaky on how exactly Burst-cancelling/whatever works (or if it even exists). The Special reinforces the overall TC strengths of the weapon type and potentially gives it a better place in RM, if my lovely recent experience running the classic Blaster in that mode are anything to go by. Also, the quick charge time is good for a weapon which, like, can go for entire games without ever being able to pull out its Kraken (well, bad games).

WeirdChillFever

Pro Squid
Nah, the Neo Sploosh won't be killed off by the N-ZAP '83, since it plays differently from the N-ZAPs anyway. The Custom Dual didn't prevent people picking up the original Sploosh when that released, and the Dual had a lot more range but a slower TTK. The same will hold true here, but the Neo Sploosh did dip in popularity for a while but has been picking up again. The Neo Sploosh is the weapon that's all about delving deep into enemy territory and attacking from behind and doing all kinds of sneak attacks where it pops up, splats someone, then moves off and repeats the move. From what I've heard the N-ZAP matches the range of the Splattershot since it had various buffs made to it, so this version of the N-ZAP will be a "search and destroy" weapon, where it tags people with Point Sensors, then uses its decent range to confront people head on, and falls back on its Kraken when it becomes clear it won't win the confrontation. This will be an interesting weapon to see, as it will provide an interesting new take on this set that the Sploosh and Heavy Deco can't do. As for the Heavy Deco, with its great range and fast TTK it will remain better than the N-ZAP '83 where the Heavy spots it early on (just like how the Heavy beats the Neo Sploosh in the same way) whilst the N-ZAP '83 and Neo Sploosh will beat the Heavy Deco when they ambush it or approach without being detected. All of these weapons will sit alongside each other quite comfortably without one being a detriment to the other's viability. What I'm interested to see is exactly what Special Depletion it gets, as the Neo Sploosh is on Light, and the Heavy Deco is on Medium, because if this gets Heavy that may harm it's viability. Personally I'll see it getting Medium, as it is much better than the 85 and 89 but isn't an outright powerhouse of a weapon (such as the Tentatek, .96 Deco, Zimi and other Heavy loss weapons - Zimi is Heavy from 2.8.0) to warrant Heavy special loss.

I'm definitely glad to see the new Splat Charger getting a set that will make it viable against the Kelp and Vanilla. Splash Walls and Echolocator sits it in a nice place between the Bamboozler Mk I and the E-Litre 3K. Splash Walls will be great to hide behind on it, as the range will allow it to safely attack and snipe others, and throwing a Splash Wall than using the special will be a great strategy for it as it will protect the user and give them positions to pick off people. This weapon will be genuinely powerful and can be a cause for concern in matches, provided it's used correctly of course. The Range Blaster is my concern, the Burst Bombs are great for faster splats, but Killer Wail on it feels awkward, it can't support it the same way Kraken does, obviously it couldn't have got Bubbler due to the Custom Blaster and Rapid Blaster. I can't think of anything to give it that wouldn't detriment it in comparison to the other Range Blasters.
Well the Bamboozler MKIII isn't a powerhouse either but they just threw darts at a board for that one so I fear the NZAP will get Heavy Depletion too, despite there not being any logical reason for it.
I hope they're nice and give it Light but I doubt that, I mean they even gave the utterly worthless Refurbished Mini Splatling a Medium Reduction at first.
I think its viability will lie around Wasabi's level and I think it will get Medium because of it.
I really hope it doesn't get high because it will probably be a meta-weapon and I think that if it gets heavy, it'll never get medium.

This could be the ultimate Rainmaker weapon and decent at TC btw and I can't wait to kill of my rank by just experimenting with this beauty.
I can see myself spamming Point Sensors and assasinating everybody tagged, with Kraken as team wiper if I get good with it.

Bento Splat Charger is interesting, in that it combines the out-in-the-field playstyle of the Splat Charger and amplifies it with Splash Wall and the anchor-type style of the Kelp/E-Liter with Echo.
I don't like Walls on it personally, but it's a nice fit.

Considering the Chargers' reputation, I'd be shocked if it gets Light depletion.

I don't care for the Necro Range Blaster, it got the perfect set for it but I'm more excited for Rapid Blaster buffs.

I'd rank the weapons like this based on hype:

1. NZap '83 (I love everything about it)
2. Coro-Coro Splat Roller (Mobility to use Splash Walls in different ways, still don't like Splash Walls)
3. Necro Range Blaster (I main two Burst Bombs weapons with special properties already: Carbon and MKIII, Killer Wail is forgettable)
4. Bento Splat Charger (Not enough mobility to use Splash Walls effectively imo)

Thus far, the variety is already bigger than in Sheldon's Pick 1 so I hope they keep it up an give us Sprinkler/Killer Wail Aerospray to make it viable for ranked.

LupusFreak

Inkling Cadet
NNID
LupusFreak
4. Bento Splat Charger (Not enough mobility to use Splash Walls effectively imo)
As a charger main, I can tell you that dealing with walls is the most annoying thing (for me, at least). If anything, giving the Splatterscope/Splat Charger a wall will make it (as someone said) the anti-charger. Though i'd imagine two of these going up against each other would be a stalemate, but who knows?

NovaScienceNever

Senior Squid
Well the Bamboozler MKIII isn't a powerhouse either but they just threw darts at a board for that one so I fear the NZAP will get Heavy Depletion too, despite there not being any logical reason for it.
Well, in that patch they increased the spread of burst bombs, so i guess they thought the MKIII would build inkstrike up too quickly, although that doesn't seem to be the case. Considering the N-ZAP isn't much of a turfing machine without Sprinkler/Inkstrike, Point Sensor only locates people, and the Kraken inktrail is very miniscule, I doubt they'll give it Heavy Depletion.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
As a charger main, I can tell you that dealing with walls is the most annoying thing (for me, at least). If anything, giving the Splatterscope/Splat Charger a wall will make it (as someone said) the anti-charger. Though i'd imagine two of these going up against each other would be a stalemate, but who knows?
In my splash wall vs splash wall experiences it can be amusing, annoying, or just ridiculous.

You can lose the duel if your splash wall goes up or down first or last, you both waste time and ink trying to long range each other with splash walls, you'll both creep closer and try to melee each other with splash walls, or a teammate from either side will jump in to break up such nonsense.

"I counter your Splash Wall with Splash Wall!"

"Well you've just activated my trap card, SPLASH WALL!!"

G1ng3rGar1

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-7732-8500-1233
Okay, so now we have the name of the Range Blaster: Grim Range Blaster. It doesn't say what special it has, but it has Burst Bombs. (The Splatoon wiki claims it has the Killer Wail, not sure)
EDIT: Also, the Bento Splat Charger (and Scope) Are confirmed with the Splash Wall and Echolocator.

NovaScienceNever

Senior Squid
Okay, so now we have the name of the Range Blaster: Grim Range Blaster. It doesn't say what special it has, but it has Burst Bombs.
Okay. So Necro was changed to Grim. Okay. Special is Killer Wail according to SplatoonJP, and the Splat Charger/Splatterscope is still the Bento Splat Charger/Splatterscope

G1ng3rGar1

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-7732-8500-1233
N-Zap '83 with Point Sensors and Kraken….I might try it. (The tumblr also says that players think the buttons might stick a bit sometimes, I hope that isn't real)

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Whether it's named "Necro," "Grim, " or even "Gritty" I still giggle in how it and the volume's box art reminds me of the "grim n gritty" sub-section of the 90s.

WeirdChillFever

Pro Squid
Well, in that patch they increased the spread of burst bombs, so i guess they thought the MKIII would build inkstrike up too quickly, although that doesn't seem to be the case. Considering the N-ZAP isn't much of a turfing machine without Sprinkler/Inkstrike, Point Sensor only locates people, and the Kraken inktrail is very miniscule, I doubt they'll give it Heavy Depletion.
But there's also an NZap and an Inkbrush with SPRINKLER and Inkstrike with LIGHT Depletion.
I go for the darts theory.

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
But there's also an NZap and an Inkbrush with SPRINKLER and Inkstrike with LIGHT Depletion.
I go for the darts theory.
they have light depletion because they're not that strong of a weapon. depletion is based on the weapons as a whole, not just it's special. there are some weapons with light depletion with kraken (CJS) and that's based on the weapon not being able to build up it's special all that well. there are some janky onnes (Bambi MKIII), but for the most part they're all fine.

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
Grim? Ooh, I like it. Maybe I'll go for some themed gear sets that fit the edgy weapon (but aren't the Skull Bandana - Special Duration Up? Really? I know that it has an effect now, but not worth the slot). How about :head_cap006::clothes_prk000::shoes_bot003: with natural rolls? Unfortunately, I'm most probably going to want some Damage Up to get opponents with (blaster burst + near-miss Burst Bomb) more often, so that doesn't quite work...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom