Sheldon's Picks Volume 2 Announced

Squix

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
DetSweg
Someone should nerf Bastion from Overwatch.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
I'm both happy and sad about the N-Zaps kit. It's great that the main weapon has another strong kit, though it kinda steps on the Neo Sploosh as people have already mentioned, but even worse I feel is that it greatly overshadows the L-3D. I mean main weapon-wise the L-3 doesn't have much over the N-Zap, I guess accuracy, but otherwise it has less mobility and a longer ttk, and of course it's harder to use. Sure Burst Bombs are superior to Point Sensors, but I don't know if that balances out having an inferior main weapon.

Range Blaster I am happy about though! A completely unique kit, and more importantly, finally a Blaster with Burst Bombs! Woulda preferred that sub on a Rapid Blaster, but meh beggars can't be choosers. Killer Wail is always great and definitely makes sense on weapons with poor inkspread. I haven't used a Blaster that isn't a Rapid in forever so this should be fun!

I'm really surprised at that Splat Charger, waaaaaay better than I ever imagined it could be! I guess you could say it's stealing from the Bamboozler's kits, but eh, I'm no good with that weapon so this works out well for me hehe. No way this thing wont have a heavy special depletion though.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I'm guessing the new Bento Charger is supposed to be a newbie-friendly kit with that Splash Wall? Get up on a high ledge, toss it out, and you'll be untouchable for as long as it's up. I imagine it might fare a little better in areas close to the front lines/middle ground as well, although that seems like a job better-suited to the Squiffer line. Me personally, I take the regular Hero/Splat Charger head-on into the fray anyway; this kit looks to fill that role a little more decently, so I might have to give it a whirl. (Will it completely replace my old Hero Charger? Probably not, since I do appreciate the mileage I get out of its Splat Bomb rushes. That said, depending on how good it is in combat, I may end up using the Bento more often when it comes to Ranked.)

That new N-ZAP '83... dunno what I'd do with the Point Sensors, but the Kraken is always a nice bonus. I don't remember if the N-ZAP can ink turf rapidly enough to build it quickly though, so I get the feeling it won't be quite the best thing since slice bread that it looks like in my mind. But that's nothing a quick trip to the testing range can't determine, and I do think it's an improvement on the '85 at least.
...somehow I also get the feeling that it'll be one of the more popular weapons we'll see next week. I don't know why, though.

As for the Edgy Range Blaster... meh. I barely know how to use blasters as it is, so I'll probably skip it. It's got a pretty sick color scheme, I'll give it that, but until I get the hang of using the ones I have already it'll have to wait. (Of course, I said the same thing about the Permanent Inkbrush, and I've still yet to buy it...)

blu

Inkling Cadet
NNID
blu_64
all I can say about the new N-zap is R.I.P Neo Sploosh. hopefully the new sploosh has a great set so I still have an excuse to use it.
Indeed. Its basically the same weapon with better range and accuracy. Those poor sploosh users, including myself, wouldn't stand a chance. :(

Speaking of sploosh, they're gonna reveal it on the 6th aren't they! :p Maybe its because I'm a small fan of the weapon myself (2nd or 3rd to the Juunya!) but it seems so shrouded in mystery; obviously not the only weapon, but still.

Nah, the Neo Sploosh won't be killed off by the N-ZAP '83, since it plays differently from the N-ZAPs anyway. The Custom Dual didn't prevent people picking up the original Sploosh when that released, and the Dual had a lot more range but a slower TTK. The same will hold true here, but the Neo Sploosh did dip in popularity for a while but has been picking up again. The Neo Sploosh is the weapon that's all about delving deep into enemy territory and attacking from behind and doing all kinds of sneak attacks where it pops up, splats someone, then moves off and repeats the move. From what I've heard the N-ZAP matches the range of the Splattershot since it had various buffs made to it, so this version of the N-ZAP will be a "search and destroy" weapon, where it tags people with Point Sensors, then uses its decent range to confront people head on, and falls back on its Kraken when it becomes clear it won't win the confrontation. This will be an interesting weapon to see, as it will provide an interesting new take on this set that the Sploosh and Heavy Deco can't do. As for the Heavy Deco, with its great range and fast TTK it will remain better than the N-ZAP '83 where the Heavy spots it early on (just like how the Heavy beats the Neo Sploosh in the same way) whilst the N-ZAP '83 and Neo Sploosh will beat the Heavy Deco when they ambush it or approach without being detected. All of these weapons will sit alongside each other quite comfortably without one being a detriment to the other's viability. What I'm interested to see is exactly what Special Depletion it gets, as the Neo Sploosh is on Light, and the Heavy Deco is on Medium, because if this gets Heavy that may harm it's viability. Personally I'll see it getting Medium, as it is much better than the 85 and 89 but isn't an outright powerhouse of a weapon (such as the Tentatek, .96 Deco, Zimi and other Heavy loss weapons - Zimi is Heavy from 2.8.0) to warrant Heavy special loss.

I'm definitely glad to see the new Splat Charger getting a set that will make it viable against the Kelp and Vanilla. Splash Walls and Echolocator sits it in a nice place between the Bamboozler Mk I and the E-Litre 3K. Splash Walls will be great to hide behind on it, as the range will allow it to safely attack and snipe others, and throwing a Splash Wall than using the special will be a great strategy for it as it will protect the user and give them positions to pick off people. This weapon will be genuinely powerful and can be a cause for concern in matches, provided it's used correctly of course. The Range Blaster is my concern, the Burst Bombs are great for faster splats, but Killer Wail on it feels awkward, it can't support it the same way Kraken does, obviously it couldn't have got Bubbler due to the Custom Blaster and Rapid Blaster. I can't think of anything to give it that wouldn't detriment it in comparison to the other Range Blasters.
Good point, Cyan. With the amount of variety in similar sets, it almost makes splatoon an ecosystem not unlike the jungles out there in rea life! :O Just needs a decent narrator!

Last edited:

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
It occurred to me that I shouldn't have opened so many slots today. I'm down to about 60,000 coins, so this is gonna bankrupt me big time if I purchase everything in one big order as I am wont to do. Chargers... about 25,000 together. N-Zap, 10,000. Blaster, say, 15,000. Roller could be 15,000. Splatling may be the costliest - guess 25,000. Sploosh, 15,000; Aerospray, 10,000, maybe. H-3, like, 20,000, why not. The entire set is liable to run up to 150,000 in the worst case. Need to win about 15 Ranked Battles to afford that, which is scary given that I only recently ranked up...

G1ng3rGar1

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-7732-8500-1233
Indeed. Its basically the same weapon with better range and accuracy. Those poor sploosh users, including myself, wouldn't stand a chance. :(

Speaking of sploosh, they're gonna reveal it on the 6th aren't they! :p Maybe its because I'm a small fan of the weapon myself (2nd or 3rd to the Juunya!) but it seems so shrouded in mystery; obviously not the only weapon, but still.

Good point, Cyan. With the amount of variety in similar sets, it almost makes splatoon an ecosystem not unlike the jungles out there in rea life! :O Just needs a decent narrator!
I thought it was a Splash

Inyo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SurfGreenGibby
I'm guessing the new Bento Charger is supposed to be a newbie-friendly kit with that Splash Wall? Get up on a high ledge, toss it out, and you'll be untouchable for as long as it's up. I imagine it might fare a little better in areas close to the front lines/middle ground as well, although that seems like a job better-suited to the Squiffer line. Me personally, I take the regular Hero/Splat Charger head-on into the fray anyway; this kit looks to fill that role a little more decently, so I might have to give it a whirl. (Will it completely replace my old Hero Charger? Probably not, since I do appreciate the mileage I get out of its Splat Bomb rushes. That said, depending on how good it is in combat, I may end up using the Bento more often when it comes to Ranked.)

That new N-ZAP '83... dunno what I'd do with the Point Sensors, but the Kraken is always a nice bonus. I don't remember if the N-ZAP can ink turf rapidly enough to build it quickly though, so I get the feeling it won't be quite the best thing since slice bread that it looks like in my mind. But that's nothing a quick trip to the testing range can't determine, and I do think it's an improvement on the '85 at least.
...somehow I also get the feeling that it'll be one of the more popular weapons we'll see next week. I don't know why, though.

As for the Edgy Range Blaster... meh. I barely know how to use blasters as it is, so I'll probably skip it. It's got a pretty sick color scheme, I'll give it that, but until I get the hang of using the ones I have already it'll have to wait. (Of course, I said the same thing about the Permanent Inkbrush, and I've still yet to buy it...)
ZAPs are fairly good inking weapons...and the '85 has a pretty good kit, actually! We'll see if the '83 supplants it, it'll surely be more popular amongst casuals due to the Kraken at least.

Killer Wail on the Rob Zombie Range Blaster is pretty good for Tower Control (which Blasters are already mighty strong in), might wanna stick Special Charge Up on there.

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
Well.... Something had to get Kraken this round. :P If there's one special that Nintendo is in love with, it definitely has to be the Kraken. xD I think the '83 will give the Neo Sploosh a run for its money because the N-Zaps are much easier to control and handle than the Splooshes are. So it'll appeal to more people who want the Point Sensor/Kraken combo but don't want to bother learning the Splooshes low range.

The Grim Range Blaster has an absolutely perfect name for a blaster with Burst Bombs. x) Oh that blaster is going to be painful in the right hands. :v

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
Someone should nerf Bastion from Overwatch.
I agree. . . but uhm. . .
yea. . .

I'm looking forward to using the Grim Range Blaster.

I'm looking forward to complaining and whining about the Bento Splatterscope. . .
I still want to know who's idea that was.

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
I'm both happy and sad about the N-Zaps kit. It's great that the main weapon has another strong kit, though it kinda steps on the Neo Sploosh as people have already mentioned, but even worse I feel is that it greatly overshadows the L-3D. I mean main weapon-wise the L-3 doesn't have much over the N-Zap, I guess accuracy, but otherwise it has less mobility and a longer ttk, and of course it's harder to use. Sure Burst Bombs are superior to Point Sensors, but I don't know if that balances out having an inferior main weapon.

Range Blaster I am happy about though! A completely unique kit, and more importantly, finally a Blaster with Burst Bombs! Woulda preferred that sub on a Rapid Blaster, but meh beggars can't be choosers. Killer Wail is always great and definitely makes sense on weapons with poor inkspread. I haven't used a Blaster that isn't a Rapid in forever so this should be fun!

I'm really surprised at that Splat Charger, waaaaaay better than I ever imagined it could be! I guess you could say it's stealing from the Bamboozler's kits, but eh, I'm no good with that weapon so this works out well for me hehe. No way this thing wont have a heavy special depletion though.

I say lets see the special depletion. If the New Nzap is heavy that would make a diffrence when comparing with L3 and Sploosh

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Oh man, a splatterscope with Echo! Can't wait to see what the Heavy will get, total hype!

Inkling Ash

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Zachy_Dad
This update will be fresh! Can't wait to see what the kit of these weapons will be! Who thinks that the splash wall as the kokomoko splat rollers sub will be good?

Zahntavier

Senior Squid
General Splatcharver gushing:

Had some time to mull over this new splatercharger/scope and I'm still blown away. Many of the splatchargers I encounter are ditching strength-up builds, and this wall totally complements the full charge. Never had a wall on a weapon I like, so that will be a new learning curve. It is going to be the hardest vers to ink with...gonna be a whole different way to play, very excited!

Gonna be a ton of chargers killing each other's splash walls in update day.

Chronya

Full Squid
NNID
Chronometro
Ok, some predictions:
New Heavy Splatling - :squidbeacon:+:killerwail:
New Aerospray - :suctionbomb:+:bombrushsuctionbomb: or :splatbomb:+:bombrush:
New Sploosh-o-matic - :splatbomb:+:echolocator:
Cherry H-3 Nozzlenose - :seeker:+ :bombrushseeker: (actually, I don't care about H-3)

Ametrine

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ferrethugger98
Ok, some predictions:
New Heavy Splatling - :squidbeacon:+:killerwail:
New Aerospray - :suctionbomb:+:bombrushsuctionbomb: or :splatbomb:+:bombrush:
New Sploosh-o-matic - :splatbomb:+:echolocator:
Cherry H-3 Nozzlenose - :seeker:+ :bombrushseeker: (actually, I don't care about H-3)
All of this seems good except the Sploosh. The Sploosh already has a set with Point Sensors, so there's no need for it to have Echolocator. I think the Sploosh will come with either Splat Bombs, Suction Bombs or Seekers, and as for specials, it will get either Inkzooka, Inkstrike, or, in the case of it coming with Seekers, Bomb Rush.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom