• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

So basically, the wait for Ranked Battle was meaningless...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cuddlefish

Pro Squid
NNID
Anastas
Has anyone here played TF2?

When it came out, it had a tiny bit of content. They used that tiny bit to assess the game, then added free DLC...then more...then more. The way they did it ensured a long game life and also allowed them to make more dynamic changes to match the playerbase. I'm pretty sure that's what they're doing here, and why they're giving out content slowly. And because of these playerbase based changes, they made the game GREAT for years and years. It's only now, when people finally got burned out on it, that it began to become less good (though still good)

Well, that, and maybe it needed more polish or something.
Have you played MK8? It was released as a full game (so long as you play for the races and not battle mode), and then was updated with another half of what it originally launched with. I have no problem with Splatoon getting frequent updates, but that's no excuse for releasing a game incomplete. What they should be doing is releasing a complete game then procedurally making it better.

You misunderstand, I don't think the hype was going to go down but Nintendo caters towards older gamers (like many of us here I am sure) and also the younger audience, hence why Splatoon is so child friendly looking. I do think there is a risk with discouragement for children. I personally want to be level 20 and comfortable with the my weapon of choice before I jump into Ranked but that is different from person to person. I don't think the game is stale because it took under a week to get the Ranked Battles out.

As another person stated, it keeps the audience talking. :)
It's just 2 days after launch, that's not going to make a difference in the audience talking any more than simply launching the game.

Dirty Duck

Inkling Cadet
NNID
TheThirdChild
You're acting as if they knew how quickly the number of people they hoped for would reach level 10. It was obviously a lot sooner than expected, so they introduced it sooner. I don't really see what the problem is tbh? We get ranked modes with enough people to play them super soon because the game is doing well.

SalsaSavant

Full Squid
Have you played MK8? It was released as a full game (so long as you play for the races and not battle mode), and then was updated with another half of what it originally launched with. I have no problem with Splatoon getting frequent updates, but that's no excuse for releasing a game incomplete. What they should be doing is releasing a complete game then procedurally making it better.

It's just 2 days after launch, that's not going to make a difference in the audience talking any more than simply launching the game.

First, this is Nintendo's first step in the genre, but not their first Mario Kart. They know EXACTLY what they're doing with MK, but Splatoon is more experimental. This way, they can use community feedback to make the game the best it can be while still getting their footing.

Also, it's simply an alternate distribution method to keep the game fresh. It played MK for a few days, did all the tracks, and got kinda bored.
They could potentially keep Splatoon fresh for months, maybe even years if they wanted too. "Stay Fresh" isn't said so often for no reason.

Cuddlefish

Pro Squid
NNID
Anastas
It's not a personal attack on you or any other part of the player base. Take it easy. Making sure a) there's enough people to actually play full ranked games and b) there's a big enough player pool of ranked mode players early on to level-set both rankings and matchmaking are two great reasons, really. There's nothing meaningless about it.
If Ranked battle was an option from the start, and half the players tried that, while half the players tried normal battle, they would have risked having the Ranked Battle servers empty for early adopters, which would instantly sour people on the game. By rolling it out the way they did, they confirmed that enough players would be around. It's great that we only had to wait 3 days for that, but complaining about content being restricted is a bit silly imo...
But with level 10 being so easily achieved, it does nothing to absolve the issues you claim it does. So either they didn't go far enough and should've locked Ranked Battle behind a higher skill level, or they shouldn't have had any hurdle to overcome in the first place. After two brief days, the server issues won't have been fixed any more than if the mode had been available at launch. Maybe Nintendo didn't know that at first, but it's still apparent now, and the question is whether or not they'll learn from hindsight that the "naysayers" had something behind what they were saying all along.

Cuddlefish

Pro Squid
NNID
Anastas
You're acting as if they knew how quickly the number of people they hoped for would reach level 10. It was obviously a lot sooner than expected, so they introduced it sooner. I don't really see what the problem is tbh? We get ranked modes with enough people to play them super soon because the game is doing well.
Because it goes to show them that people were right when they said Ranked Battle shouldn't have been locked away, and it goes to show that maybe Nintendo would do well to better listen to people in the future.

Reactions: Nia

Dirty Duck

Inkling Cadet
NNID
TheThirdChild
Because it goes to show them that people were right when they said Ranked Battle shouldn't have been locked away, and it goes to show that maybe Nintendo would do well to better listen to people in the future.
Nintendo make some dumb decisions, but I think if they made a habit of listening to people (also consider that most often "people" don't have one solid viewpoint, they have many), there'd be a lot more dumb decisions. I doubt Nintendo are going to look at this and go "man, we really should've listened to ALL the people", if anything they'll go "neat! we've got enough people already! we can have active ranked battles from near enough the get go!"

Cuddlefish

Pro Squid
NNID
Anastas
Nintendo make some dumb decisions, but I think if they made a habit of listening to people (also consider that most often "people" don't have one solid viewpoint, they have many), there'd be a lot more dumb decisions. I doubt Nintendo are going to look at this and go "man, we really should've listened to ALL the people", if anything they'll go "neat! we've got enough people already! we can have active ranked battles from near enough the get go!"
Yeah, they probably will, honestly, but that's not what they should get out of it.

And if they listened to ALL the people, they'd be very conflicted indeed, since the majority is either witless haters that disagree with everything they do... or witless apologists that agree with everything they do. I merely ask that they use sense, and take in what people are saying, instead of following it blindly, and seeking out the type of people they should actually listen to, perhaps people that have been right in the past, like the people pointing out the flaw in purposefully holding back content.

ZeroParadox

Senior Squid
NNID
ZeroParadox
I'm not exactly sure how this is a waste of time just because people leveled up that quickly. The need to unlock the mode got a bunch of people to grind within the small amount of time that has passed, and now they feel the gratification of being good enough to play ranked matches... and actually being good, as opposed to just having a bunch of noobs running around in Splat Zone. It also shows that a lot of people are willing to support the game.

I mean, what exactly would you gain from day one Splat Zone, other than that one extra mode of content? It's not like they're not holding back a ton as is. Maybe your argument is that they should be giving as much content as is due to that fact, but it's clear they're trying to trickle out content to make mouths water. It's working extremely well, as you can tell by the quick work the community made on unlocking that mode. You might disagree with it, but Nintendo doesn't really have to answer to anyone on this. This strategy is working well for them and their game.

Cuddlefish

Pro Squid
NNID
Anastas
I'm not exactly sure how this is a waste of time just because people leveled up that quickly. The need to unlock the mode got a bunch of people to grind within the small amount of time that has passed, and now they feel the gratification of being good enough to play ranked matches... and actually being good, as opposed to just having a bunch of noobs running around in Splat Zone. It also shows that a lot of people are willing to support the game.

I mean, what exactly would you gain from day one Splat Zone, other than that one extra mode of content? It's not like they're not holding back a ton as is. Maybe your argument is that they should be giving as much content as is due to that fact, but it's clear they're trying to trickle out content to make mouths water. It's working extremely well, as you can tell by the quick work the community made on unlocking that mode. You might disagree with it, but Nintendo doesn't really have to answer to anyone on this. This strategy is working well for them and their game.
Except they're not good yet, 'cause level 10 is so easy to reach. Everyone's still all a bunch of noobs running around in Splat Zone, if only because the skills from Turf War won't transfer over.

And what the frick you mean, "other than one extra mode of content?" Isn't that enough? It sounds like plenty enough gain to me. And is this strategy working well, or are you all just accepting every decision Nintendo makes? 'Cause I've heard from plenty of people that they're miffed about how Nintendo's handling Splatoon. They are the ones Nintendo has to answer to, because the people that accept any decision Nintendo makes would still accept the decisions that would net more scrutinous buyers.

rank battles are unlocked now? my TV picked the perfect time to stop working.
Yes, they are. Sorry, that sucks.

Cuddlefish

Pro Squid
NNID
Anastas
Yeah, in 7 hours.

By the way, I request y'all stop sayin' that getting to Rank 10 was "easy". It took many hours of playing to get there, with like a hundred matches. <.<
Sorry, but for many people it just didn't take as long; certainly easy is relative, but on the whole, it couldn't have been to hard with so many people reaching the milestone in just 2 days.

PrinceOfKoopas

Inkling Commander
NNID
PrinceOfKoopas
Sorry, but for many people it just didn't take as long; certainly easy is relative, but on the whole, it couldn't have been to hard with so many people reaching the milestone in just 2 days.
Y'all just don't realise how much you've played in a short period of time.

In terms of how much videogames people are supposed to be playing at a time, all these players far exceeded that. Me too!

ZeroParadox

Senior Squid
NNID
ZeroParadox
Except they're not good yet, 'cause level 10 is so easy to reach. Everyone's still all a bunch of noobs running around in Splat Zone, if only because the skills from Turf War won't transfer over.
Please. I've had my own complaints along with other players, friends or people on forums, making similar complaints about everyone playing. Level 10 might be "easy" to reach (took me and most people I know at least 5 hours of winning to do this), but I definitely haven't been playing the same noobs I've stomped easily on day one or during the Tesfire. People have gotten used to the maps, they know what weapons they want to use, and they've grinded for perks and gotten used to them. This is a significant difference than some fledgling with a Jr. and like 2-3 useful perks who hasn't seen the current building meta, or even touched the game if they're coming in fresh.

And is this strategy working well, or are you all just accepting every decision Nintendo makes? 'Cause I've heard from plenty of people that they're miffed about how Nintendo's handling Splatoon. They are the ones Nintendo has to answer to, because the people that accept any decision Nintendo makes would still accept the decisions that would net more scrutinous buyers.
Being a contrarian doesn't mean you're making a point. Backing that up with anecdotal evidence doesn't really help you either.

When I say "working for Nintendo", I'm saying that they're getting more gain then they are losses. Yes, there are people who don't like this strategy. I'm personally against it myself, if you must know. I'd much rather prefer more content - but for what Nintendo is going for, I get what they're trying to do. It's working, so I clap in response, and not because I'm some slave to their system. I could stop playing the game if it really bothered me that much. And if people wanna not pick this up because they don't like it, that's up to them. But I think however many users getting level 10 in two days means the game is doing pretty well without them - more than enough proof that this system is in fact working well.

Just because you don't agree with a system doesn't mean it's not a working system.

Cuddlefish

Pro Squid
NNID
Anastas
Y'all just don't realise how much you've played in a short period of time.

In terms of how much videogames people are supposed to be playing at a time, all these players far exceeded that. Me too!
I'm not basing it off of my own skill level, I'm basing it off of the average; if so many reached level 10 in such a short span of time, it can't have had any meaningful impact on delaying Splat Zones.

I'm not at level 10; I don't have the game; I'm buying it used precisely because of all the BS decisions Nintendo has made surrounding Splatoon. Nintendo is not getting a cent out of me for Splatoon. People want to say this strategy is working for Nintendo? They're all just kissing tuckus; any strategy would've sold them on Splatoon. They're making this strategy work simply because they want it to work, not because there's actually any merit to it.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I disagree that it is pointless to hold back content, in fact I am glad there still is a ton of new things yet to be released.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I think it was really uncool of them to just lock it, since if you powerlevelled to 10 and had to wait that's your own fault. I really don't like being held by a thing that makes no sense when I know there are more than enough level 10s to play games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom