So basically, the wait for Ranked Battle was meaningless...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cuddlefish

Pro Squid
NNID
Anastas
And I should say I don't hold anything against anyone buying the game new if they felt the purchase was worth it, because that's still weighing the pros and cons and exercising logic as a consumer, but if someone does take issue with how Nintendo's handled Splatoon then they're well within their rights to not give the company their money. Nintendo has no way of knowing whether the choices they make are affecting their consumers unless people speak with their wallets.

The key difference is actually making a decision based on weighing the pros and cons, and not simply ignoring one or the other; if you chose to purchase Splatoon new because you felt it was worth it despite the flaws, that's fine; if you're trying to pretend there are no flaws, or that one can't come the conclusion that Splatoon's not worth supporting crooked developers, then you're just being a fanboy, a yes-man, a brown-noser. You're doing no service to Nintendo by encouraging them to make decisions that are driving others away.

ZeroParadox

Senior Squid
NNID
ZeroParadox
You don't look cool if you copy me. o3o
But if we're bringing back classes, there are actual legions of people who see Nintendo as that and only that.
And as for Nintendo itself, I'd say having 10 plus games for at least 3 of your first party games on an already tightly knit set of exclusives is pretty validating buuuuut this isn't the thread for that.

I love you too, tho'. <3

DatGuyAegis

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Tmoney670
No it wasn't it was smart in my eyes. Say Nintendo released ranked day 1. It would be imbalanced the Japnese would have a huge head start on the Americans and be better overall when it first started. As well as it would be harder to find servers because there would be too little people lvl 10 yet. They waited until a good number of people were level 10 so they could all be at the same skill cap in the mode (new) as well as so there wasnt a server issue

Cuddlefish

Pro Squid
NNID
Anastas
You don't look cool if you copy me. o3o
But if we're bringing back classes, there are actual legions of people who see Nintendo as that and only that.
And as for Nintendo itself, I'd say having 10 plus games for at least 3 of your first party games on an already tightly knit set of exclusives is pretty validating buuuuut this isn't the thread for that.

I love you too, tho'. <3
You don't look cool.

That's it.

You straight-up don't know what you're talking about with Nintendo games; I don't really have much refutation beyond... no, just no. It's like trying to argue against someone insisting the world is flat. It's just... no.

DiGiTaL

Inkling
NNID
DiGiTaLM4N
Well it's kinda hard to hold it up to the same standards as the not-online-competitive multiplayer games. And just because more than on person doesn't like a game doesn't mean Nintendo is gonna change things up. A company that literally sits there and puts out the same content over and over with some new ideas every generation, and that's ok, but they make a brand new IP that's doing the same thing as other shooters for free with an overall better game and that's an issue?

I don't mind you pointing this out, but can you stop pretending that this is somehow the greatest scheme that Nintendo has ever been a part of?
And while you're at it, do you mind explaining what the issue is? I asked earlier and it was never answered, but how exactly does Nintendo benefit from any of this?

You got robbed? Robbed of what, things that you're getting for free? What? If you wanna wait until there's more content down the road, fine, that's just making sense of what you want and what you're willing to spend, fine, but if we're gonna talk about standards, we can do way worse than Nintendo on what is basically a new venture for them.

You're not being robbed monetarily, you have the sense to know what's worth what you're willing to spend, but you're complaining about it anyway. Sounds like impatience as opposed to actually caring about "standards", if that's really what matters to ya.
What are we getting for free? This isn't FREE DLC coming this is content that was either removed or not added due to the fact the game was incomplete. The game in my opinion should have came out in August but no if that were to happen the WiiU game drought would be like 5 months of no 1st party big titles sorry not even gonna count Mario Party 10. The game was not rushed when it comes to quality the game just wasn't finished in my opinion. People should seriously stop calling this free DLC we are basically just getting what we were suppose to get all along. The content isn't free we already paid for it. It would be free if the game launched at budget title pricing of ~$40. But no this is a $60 game with 2 online modes 5 maps and barely 5 hours of single player. Single player was great by the way just short I had no real problems with single player and it didn't feel tacked on at the last minute. Anyways I do love the game it just has a ton of issues that needs to be worked out. There are things wrong in the game that were clearly an afterthought to the devs. Custom lobbies weren't even thought of until so much negative attention put it in the spot light before that Nintendo Splatoon Direct. Once again the content is not free. Also here is a good example of how to do a qwerky Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare WOW $40 on launch, 6+ modes on launch day, about 10 maps, tons of character customization, voice chat, custom lobby for nearly every multiplayer mode, free DLC frequently, nothing locked out on launch that is how you do it. And published by EA of ALL publishers right? I give Nintendo a partial pass for trying something new but the issues in that Splatoon even the PS2 and Xbox had that figured out. You can't leave a lobby search without power cycling your console that is one of the biggest quality control failures if I have ever seen one. I'm not bashing the game or a hater some people would say. I have around 40 hours in the game already but even with that this new content is not free content it is just content I paid for in that $60 delivered later lol. Anyways I'm done no point in arguing with apologist they will probably end up apologizing to me when I'm done serving that ink!

ZeroParadox

Senior Squid
NNID
ZeroParadox
You don't look cool.

That's it.

You straight-up don't know what you're talking about with Nintendo games.
Educate me whenever you'd like. I'm always down to hear what other people have to say. I'm persistent, not inflexible.

But you Digital. Really? Because it's incomplete? They've been saying for how long that all of this content would come as updates. If they wanted it all on the disc, they would have just, you know, not released it? And don't say they wouldn't have, Lord knows Nintendo has held games back for the sake of getting every little thing right where they can. You think they would pay costs to advertise the fact that their not done with their game? Really?

Complaining about lack of content day one, alright, I get that. Making up silly theories? C'mon.

EDIT: Actually, no, why am I even explaining this? It's still free. If what you're saying had any truth to it, Nintendo is being extremely nice about releasing the game, letting you know in advanced that content is coming it updates.

It means that people who are hyped for the game can get it early, and that people who aren't could wait for a price drop. So if what you're saying was true, Nintendo is a friggin' saint. So nevermind, great theory. I:

Cuddlefish

Pro Squid
NNID
Anastas
You don't look cool.

That's it.

You straight-up don't know what you're talking about with Nintendo games.
Educate me whenever you'd like. I'm always down to hear what other people have to say. I'm persistent, not inflexible. Also, I'm totally just out to troll people and stir up ****.
Nice edit, bro.

ZeroParadox

Senior Squid
NNID
ZeroParadox
I'd legitimately like you tell me why I'm wrong in how I see Nintendo - we haven't had that conversation yet, so I'm not sure how you've decided that I'm resistant to the idea.

If you don't think you can't do that, alright, but don't read into what I'm doing just because you're upset that I'm not seeing things your way.

Captain Norris

Inkling Commander
I heard a smart explanation of this actually. Holding ranked battles back causes people to try to get to level ten as quick as possible, which therefore means having more people on at the same time, which allows the testing of servers and word of mouth o spread.

And come on guys. Grow up in this thread. Good grief.

Cuddlefish

Pro Squid
NNID
Anastas
I heard a smart explanation of this actually. Holding ranked battles back causes people to try to get to level ten as quick as possible, which therefore means having more people on at the same time, which allows the testing of servers and word of mouth o spread.

I already addressed this, but...

That's still an underhanded thing to do. Regardless of their intention, their execution basically told us players they'd hold back our content until they'd arbitrarily deemed us worthy of it.

It's detrimental to Turf Wars too; people are already getting burnt out playing half of a game when they're supposed to be able to switch back and forth to keep both modes fresh.

Word of mouth is that Nintendo's pulling crap with Splatoon that doesn't need pulled. Word of mouth is that they launched an incomplete game for $60 and released the rest of it piecemeal as "free updates."

All these reasons--wondering why Nintendo did what they did--all any of you have claimed is that Nintendo acted on their own benefit regardless of how it affected the people paying them. THAT'S NOT A GOOD THING.

Saltystick

Senior Squid
NNID
Wummer
It's not "holding back until they deem us worthy of it" it's "holding it back so people can enjoy the mode without waiting years to find 7 other players" and perhaps a little of "holding back so people who got to lvl 10 first don't have a easier time climbing up in rankings".

But i never understood people who kept going on about how splatoon is incomplete and "60$ for a incomplete game is not worth it" anyway so i guess i won't understand you in that point either.

Eitherway, you need to stop overthinking.
Do you like splatoon? Does it seem like you'd have fun playing it? Buy it.
Are you afraid the content might not be enough for you? Do you think it costs too much (am i the only one who literally never thought about whether it was worth "spending xy for a game"...?) Can you wait any longer until you get to play it? Or does it not seem like a game you'd enjoy? Don't buy it.

It's literally as easy as that.

(The latter part might be a bit random, didn't read the entire thread)

Last edited:

Captain Norris

Inkling Commander
I already addressed this, but...

That's still an underhanded thing to do. Regardless of their intention, their execution basically told us players they'd hold back our content until they'd arbitrarily deemed us worthy of it.

It's detrimental to Turf Wars too; people are already getting burnt out playing half of a game when they're supposed to be able to switch back and forth to keep both modes fresh.

Word of mouth is that Nintendo's pulling crap with Splatoon that doesn't need pulled. Word of mouth is that they launched an incomplete game for $60 and released the rest of it piecemeal as "free updates."

All these reasons--wondering why Nintendo did what they did--all any of you have claimed is that Nintendo acted on their own benefit regardless of how it affected the people paying them. THAT'S NOT A GOOD THING.
To grow a new first party, they gotta have word of mouth spread. It has to happen. That is the name of the game. At least more content is coming. When I first saw Splatoon, this was literally all I thought was in, what we have now. I treat everything from this point as a bonus, but as well as more incentive to keep playing the game. Keeping updates spread allows for a much larger group of people to stay interacted with the game, meaning lobbies will stay full.

ZeroParadox

Senior Squid
NNID
ZeroParadox

Well that's what I originally said - and no one even questioned me on it, so that's over really. At some point this turned into a conversation about developer morality/integrity, and even though I understand the complaint, people seem to think that if they complain hard enough or insult people who support the game, all while making up stuff about nothing, that that's going to change people's opinion on what they think is worth their money or not. As someone said before, this is a personal problem and it doesn't really change how Nintendo handles its business, which in the case of Splatoon is pretty fair so far. Doesn't get much better than "Hey, guys, this game is gonna lack content on launch day! But here's all the cool stuff waiting for ya if you buy it!" People aren't dumb, but enough still managed to get to level 10 in four days from release? That means enough people wanna support this game despite the flaws. If anything, that just means this is a really solid game and it's worth supporting. People made their decision for a reason. Assuming everyone is just a drone is insulting.

For what it's worth, I've hated on the Wii U since it's launch. Splatoon is the only reason I have one now, and I'm glad, because there are a lot of decent exclusives on this thing. But before that, what was there? New Smash? New Mario? New Mario... Kart? I had the same problem with the Wii U - it didn't seem worth my money to pay for something I don't think is living up to the cost. Sure it had good games, but stuff I had seen before. Updates to franchises I've played over and over again. And I know Splatoon and Xenoblade Chronicles X, which I really want, where coming down the line. That doesn't mean I was gonna pick up a Wii U the day Splatoon was announced at E3. But Splatoon was different and something I wanted. I picked up all those new games used and I'm glad I have them for what I payed for. (Along with ZombiU, which was like $13 :D). If I can manage that thought process, I'm sure other people can. Acting is if tho' everyone just has their head up their *** is presumptuous and turns whatever meaningful points you have into mindless whining. Speaking of, no one needs you to soapbox for them. People speak with their wallets, right? So if the game is gonna fail, according to naysayers, then let it fail. It doesn't need your expertise on how to develop and publish games.

Phew. But yeah, that's all. So I guess I'm done with this (I never sound like I'm done with it but I am :p)

Uh, tl;dr, The people who still play this game obviously don't care about the updates... or they wouldn't be playing. There are a lot of those people. Please leave them alone.

Cuddlefish

Pro Squid
NNID
Anastas
To grow a new first party, they gotta have word of mouth spread. It has to happen. That is the name of the game. At least more content is coming. When I first saw Splatoon, this was literally all I thought was in, what we have now. I treat everything from this point as a bonus, but as well as more incentive to keep playing the game. Keeping updates spread allows for a much larger group of people to stay interacted with the game, meaning lobbies will stay full.
Then you're easily sold. Good for you, go and be happy; but the people that aren't sold yet aren't being contrarians or haters, and they have just as much right to go on a Splatoon message board and express their displeasure as you have a right to express your contentment.

Litagano Motscoud

Inkling Commander
NNID
Litagano
I think Cuttlefish has a point about holding back content, but ultimately I side against her. Playing Turf War definitely did get a little bit old, though I was still having a bit of fun. Having Ranked Battles available from the start probably would have drawn more people in, but I think Nintendo was looking at it in the long run. The reasons stated here justifying the wait seem reasonable to me.

Also, the wait didn't kill me, which is the main reason why I'm siding against OP. It's...really not that big of a deal.

Saltystick

Senior Squid
NNID
Wummer
Then you're easily sold. Good for you, go and be happy; but the people that aren't sold yet aren't being contrarians or haters, and they have just as much right to go on a Splatoon message board and express their displeasure as you have a right to express your contentment.
The thing is. If you aren't sold yet, why bother with it?

Do you run around a clothing store and argue with the shopkeeper about let's say a pair of jeans when you aren't convinced of it?
No, you move on and maybe find another pair you like.

I've seen people asking others to "convince them of the game". But why? If you aren't convinced, don't buy it. And if you are interested in it (which you seem to be seeing how you try to become convinced) just give it a try instead of argueing whether it's worth it or not. At the end of the day you can still resell it if you end up not liking it.

Everything else seems like pointless whining and pulling the "STOP LIKING STUFF I DON'T"-card.

Cuddlefish

Pro Squid
NNID
Anastas
I think Cuttlefish has a point about holding back content, but ultimately I side against her. Playing Turf War definitely did get a little bit old, though I was still having a bit of fun. Having Ranked Battles available from the start probably would have drawn more people in, but I think Nintendo was looking at it in the long run. The reasons stated here justifying the wait seem reasonable to me.

Also, the wait didn't kill me, which is the main reason why I'm siding against OP. It's...really not that big of a deal.
I'm not saying the wait killed me, I'm saying the way Nintendo held back content killed my hype for the game and led to me buying it used. All for what? They held back content from launch, only to have their conditions be met practically at launch. They accomplished nothing but burning bridges with potential purchasers.

Reactions: Nia
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom