• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

So basically, the wait for Ranked Battle was meaningless...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroParadox

Senior Squid
NNID
ZeroParadox
Nintendo doesn't make money from used sales, genius.
I should've pointed out what exactly I was nitpicking, realized you wouldn't get it if I didn't, and decided it'd be funnier if I waited.

What I actually meant was "Nintendo isn't gonna get a cent of me for this game I'm holding out to play!" You're also still invalidated in most of your comments for not owning the game and actually knowing for yourself the skill level of players that you keep saying "aren't good".

Plus, what exactly are you trying to say "Nintendo is making it work for them"? You say that like they're making more money off this or something.
Every Splatoon direct has been talking about balance between weapons, and the entire game is about understanding map control.
In the same time frame, they talk about how everything they are holding back is free content.

So what exactly are they "making work for them"? Giving people reason to support their game? That's... a bad thing? Alright...

PerfektNerD

The Villain You Need
NNID
Perfekt
I don't really mind that much. Makes sense that they want to guide the community. I had time to get used to the game where the content focus was razor sharp. This gives them a lot of useful data as well to work on future maps and modes with.

It's also good to keep fresh blood flowing into the community with all these events going until August. Gives us a timetable to prepare for actual competition.

LancerStaff

Inkling Cadet
Having a level ten requirement ensures at least some knowhow from all players involved, along with giving them decent weapon variety and mostly complete equipment. It's more of a way to protect players from killing their VS rating right away then anything, since you'll be grouped with similarly ranked players.

And with this requirement in place, it would be smart to let a number of players reach it so the hardcore players don't reach it right away and are treated with empty servers.

DiGiTaL

Inkling
NNID
DiGiTaLM4N
Nintendo doesn't make money from used sales, genius.
Truth ^ Also Cuddlefish is right although I love the game there is still so much wrong with it and holding back modes to an already barebones shooter is just insulting to the fans in my opinion. They should never have locked it or even considered locking it. Locking would have been fine if we actually had a complete non barebones game on launch.

Callie

Inkling
Meh, I have mixed feelings on it.

I really want to see Ranked Battle, though leveling up may be a bit of a chore to get it put in, in the first place.

They didn't HAVE to make it unavailable, just make it unlock at level 10.

Though thanks to early players, I believe the wait wasn't long as it might of been.

Is it a bad idea to keep modes unavailable to people who purchased the game? Absolutely.

But it was better to have had it 3 days from launch rather than a week or longer (Month).
that said, it doesn't excuse Nintendo from not having it in the first place, as I said before they should've just make it unlocked when that player reaches level 10.

Or, had it unlocked from the get-go, if a low level plays Ranked, Oh well. It's their choice, and they get the consequences for playing it early level, or they don't and get lucky with the battles, as someone mentioned a while ago, level doesn't mean anything, other than buying weapons.

You can be level 17 and still be bad at Splatoon.

You aren't keeping your players interested if you only have one Mode available.

LancerStaff

Inkling Cadet
Having a level ten requirement ensures at least some knowhow from all players involved, along with giving them decent weapon variety and mostly complete equipment. It's more of a way to protect players from killing their VS rating right away then anything, since you'll be grouped with similarly ranked players.

And with this requirement in place, it would be smart to let a number of players reach it so the hardcore players don't reach it right away and are treated with empty servers.

Callie

Inkling
But now that I know level 10s were required for Nintendo to make Ranked Battles Available, what's stopping low level players from entering it now?

Are they going to put a level 10 lock on Ranked Battles until those players reach it?

ZeroParadox

Senior Squid
NNID
ZeroParadox
But now that I know level 10s were required for Nintendo to make Ranked Battles Available, what's stopping low level players from entering it now?

Are they going to put a level 10 lock on Ranked Battles until those players reach it?
Actually, yeah, you have to be level 10 to play it.

fenrir vii

Inkster Jr.
NNID
fenrir_vii
Level 10 requirement per player is to ensure people know what they're doing before screwing their teammates in a meaningful battle. This is a good thing.

An overall limit of "x number of players need to reach rank 10 for this mode to open" ensures A) the game gets another news story or two a few days after launch to push on-the-fencers to buy the game and B) there are enough people to facilitate full battles for the Ranked battles. These are both good things.

If they had incorporated rule #1 without rule #2, the initial feedback would have been "man we can't get a full team together", which would have been VERY BAD marketing for the game, as that's been everybody's concern with the Wii U fanbase.

Seriously, we had to wait 3 days to ensure there are enough players online, without that initial bad taste that could have happened. Additionally, you're complaining about something you're not even experiencing. The game is great... the game was great at launch and will be greater once Ranked is opened tonight. There's no reason to be complaining about this...

PrinceOfKoopas

Inkling Commander
NNID
PrinceOfKoopas
Really? I helped my boyfriend get to level ten in like just a few hours.
Well I dunno how long it took me. I guess I could look at my Wii U's Activity Log and approximate it (though I played some single player too).
I just remember looking at my clock and wondering where time went.

PerfektNerD

The Villain You Need
NNID
Perfekt
Well I dunno how long it took me. I guess I could look at my Wii U's Activity Log and approximate it (though I played some single player too).
I just remember looking at my clock and wondering where time went.
By Sunday night I was level 11, and I played about 16 hours in total...but I also finished single player in that time, taking breaks from Turf Wars so I dunno how to disentangle that mess at all...

Boolerex

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Boolerex
I don't get why people complain about "unfinished game" if the rest of it it gonna come out as free DLC

It 100% playable ; it fun as this is ; really it just a bit low in content as for now and that it.

Litagano Motscoud

Inkling Commander
NNID
Litagano
It sucked having to play only one mode, but I think you're taking it too personally.

Also, you don't even have the game...if you don't have it, why are you complaining about not being able to play Ranked Battles right away? ಠ_ಠ

Jiggly

Senior Squid
NNID
Jiggly101
Nintendo is entering a genre they are relatively new to, and they are just trying to do it right. Ranked was held back to prevent dead rooms having to wait the 200 uneeded seconds before getting shut down. Does nintendo need unecessary server strain opening night, which would just lead to people dsliking the game? It was like, 4 days. It's fine. I think they are just trying to make sure they are doing it right, instead of rushing into it head forward. Which I respect.

Cuddlefish

Pro Squid
NNID
Anastas
It sucked having to play only one mode, but I think you're taking it too personally.

Also, you don't even have the game...if you don't have it, why are you complaining about not being able to play Ranked Battles right away? ಠ_ಠ
I'm not complaining about it anymore, I've made my decision to buy the game used, I'm just saying Nintendo could've had my money if they'd played things right, and their strategy didn't even serve any purpose because Ranked Battle got unlocked so quickly. All they did was lose sales, and they need to learn from it in the future.

LancerStaff

Inkling Cadet
I'm not complaining about it anymore, I've made my decision to buy the game used, I'm just saying Nintendo could've had my money if they'd played things right, and their strategy didn't even serve any purpose because Ranked Battle got unlocked so quickly. All they did was lose sales, and they need to learn from it in the future.
Nintendo isn't going to cater to the one dude who bought the game used.

Here's a shocker: Splatoon was made by the Animal Crossing team. Yaknow, the guys who restrict your progress by making you wait until 5 am the next day for the shops to reopen. And it's one of Nintendo's most successful series this side of Zelda, baring the Wii entry. The online in Splatoon is to prevent cheating, and will never go away in future installments.

DiGiTaL

Inkling
NNID
DiGiTaLM4N
Nintendo isn't going to cater to the one dude who bought the game used.

Here's a shocker: Splatoon was made by the Animal Crossing team. Yaknow, the guys who restrict your progress by making you wait until 5 am the next day for the shops to reopen. And it's one of Nintendo's most successful series this side of Zelda, baring the Wii entry. The online in Splatoon is to prevent cheating, and will never go away in future installments.
If you really think Cuddlefish is the only person waiting to get it used you are sadly mistaken. There are plenty of people waiting til the big update or to get it used based on how barebones this game is. Nintendo fans are so divided they are willing to spread their cheeks and take this incomplete game up the rear. There are others who will buy it but still voice their complaints and that is a good thing. I got it new but even with that said the game has major flaws and people should hold Nintendo to the same standards they hold 3rd parties to. Nintendo screwed up if you compare Splatoon to other Nintendo titles when it comes to content on launch (WE ALL GOT ROBBED) don't pretend you're any different not specifically LancerStaff but a majority of the fans who think this 3rd party tactics Nintendo is pulling is okay. People should just stop being apologist Nintendo has more apologist fans than any other publisher. It is okay to be pissed just saying we wont consider you less of a fan just because you are pissed at your favorite publisher. :)

ZeroParadox

Senior Squid
NNID
ZeroParadox
Well it's kinda hard to hold it up to the same standards as the not-online-competitive multiplayer games. And just because more than on person doesn't like a game doesn't mean Nintendo is gonna change things up. A company that literally sits there and puts out the same content over and over with some new ideas every generation, and that's ok, but they make a brand new IP that's doing the same thing as other shooters for free with an overall better game and that's an issue?

I don't mind you pointing this out, but can you stop pretending that this is somehow the greatest scheme that Nintendo has ever been a part of?
And while you're at it, do you mind explaining what the issue is? I asked earlier and it was never answered, but how exactly does Nintendo benefit from any of this?

You got robbed? Robbed of what, things that you're getting for free? What? If you wanna wait until there's more content down the road, fine, that's just making sense of what you want and what you're willing to spend, fine, but if we're gonna talk about standards, we can do way worse than Nintendo on what is basically a new venture for them.

You're not being robbed monetarily, you have the sense to know what's worth what you're willing to spend, but you're complaining about it anyway. Sounds like impatience as opposed to actually caring about "standards", if that's really what matters to ya.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom