So many guns need a Nerf IMO.

Beariie

Full Squid
I don't exactly know what to say.

Your new argument is nerf weapon because it shouldn't kill in a game not about kills.

Then you immediately turn around and say that ink brush needs a buff because it doesn't kill In a game not about kills.

What this says is, maybe for now, the game's design is beyond us. And we should trust the developers until we find something truly gamebreaking.
Cause Inkbrush in its current state is quite lacking. Sure it gets around fast, but its trail is easily covered back up. Its damage also sucks for something that is always on the front lines and requires you to be upclose in order to deal damage. Hell, if you run into something you do less damage then just about anything and you pretty much only effect yourself with it when you get pushed back on impact.

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
Cause Inkbrush in its current state is quite lacking. Sure it gets around fast, but its trail is easily covered back up. Its damage also sucks for something that is always on the front lines and requires you to be upclose in order to deal damage. Hell, if you run into something you do less damage then just about anything and you pretty much only effect yourself with it when you get pushed back on impact.
Aerosprays take just as many hits to splat and have almost as little effective range. They're only more consistent due to having only to hold the
fire button and the spray covering more by default.

"Rolling" the inkbrush is not how you cover up turf, it's only used to maneuver quickly outside of swimming, and when paired with
ink resistance you have the only weapon that can really maneuver through enemy ink without having to cover it first.
It covers far more by swinging and jumping as well as using it's sprinkler.

When using the ink brush you shouldn't be trying to be the first to a hotspot to battle enemies but rather finding a way to get around them to either wreak
havoc in their base or sneak up from behind.

K7Sniper

Pro Squid
NNID
K7Sniper
The brush is fast hit and run, and used for quick paint spread. You sacrifice the power of the roller for swim speed on land, and a good spread of paint for Turf Wars and Zones

Beariie

Full Squid
Aerosprays take just as many hits to splat and have almost as little effective range. They're only more consistent due to having only to hold the
fire button and the spray covering more by default.

"Rolling" the inkbrush is not how you cover up turf, it's only used to maneuver quickly outside of swimming, and when paired with
ink resistance you have the only weapon that can really maneuver through enemy ink without having to cover it first.
It covers far more by swinging and jumping as well as using it's sprinkler.

When using the ink brush you shouldn't be trying to be the first to a hotspot to battle enemies but rather finding a way to get around them to either wreak
havoc in their base or sneak up from behind.
Ive been killed by aerosprays to many time to know that they indeed have range and quick maneuverability. The only time i was able to perfectly keep any spray gunner in check was on rig on that straight platform at the bottom of the map that seperated both teams. But when they got into my blind spot, the area directly underneath the platform, then they had the win. And thats all Spray guns, which the issue is that a gun that only has to hold and fire in the general area shouldnt be so powerful. (Especially guns that can 2 shot you...like why is this even a thing)

Rolling is how you advance to the enemy territory, you simply cant just shoot forward and squid up, conserving so much ink in the end. Shaking ink out and then squiding may cover a bit more depending on the level but its far to slow, you might as well be using a roller.

K7Sniper

Pro Squid
NNID
K7Sniper
The brush is fast hit and run, and used for quick paint spread. You sacrifice the power of the roller for swim speed on land, and a good spread of paint for Turf Wars and Zones

Beariie

Full Squid
Depending on the stage it does spread good ink. But when you need to advance and spread ink is where it starts to become a tad bit ridiculous. Narrow line, low range, low damage. Sure you can move fast but when you run out of ink, Just pray its a roller coming after you.

When i say depending on the stage, i mean stages that have really narrow paths.

K7Sniper

Pro Squid
NNID
K7Sniper
So then don't use it on a map where it has a clear disadvantage. Just like you shouldn't use a roller on Skatepark due to the hills, wide areas, and curved surfaces, or a Charger on a very open map that lacks corridors that gives people a lot of range to ambush you..

For the brush, it works great when you have room to maneuver, it's not very good in corridors actually, as anyone with a ranged weapon will wreck you if they see you barging forward in a tight space, and the splash it does is great for painting areas. You don't take the brush into a damn firefight and expect to kill everything in sight. Play smart with it and it is fantastic.

Also, the narrow line isn't for painting an area, the narrow line essentially allows you to simply cut through an enemy area very quickly to reach an area to use the splash, and perhaps provide a quick escape behind you. It's not a Roller. Don't expect it to be used for painting. The splash swipe is what you use for painting an area, and it covers a VERY wide, close area. It's a "Get in, quick cover, get out" weapon. Great for hit and run. Great for getting in and getting out. You move very fast, so people have to really aim well to hit you if you swerve the path you take. Running in a straight line allows people to predict where you are going, and anyone who has played a shooter before knows how to lead a target. You trade power and wide paint area while running for a very wide swipe and lightning speed.

It also has an Inkstrike, which is wonderful, and the sprinkler to cover more area area and build up your super.

It's not a weak weapon at all overall, just people need to stop expecting this weapon, and every other weapon actually, to be the be-all-end-all superweapon that can be super effective everywhere.

Friendan

Pro Squid
NNID
xdbrendanxd
It is not lacking, though. it is weaker than other roller weapons, I'll give you that, but if were as strong as, say, the Dynamo Roller, then it would be a bit ridiculous. I feel like you are viewing this as a pub TF2 player. In TF2, most new players believe that Heavy is the best class in the game. They think the Scout is worthless. Heavy has a lot of HP and can do more DPS than Scout, and in a straight up 1v1 encounter in a hallway, the Heavy almost always wins. However, the Scout has something that Heavy does not have. The Scout has speed. Statistically, Heavy should win every single time. But, if Scout plays smart, he can overcome the Heavy. He could flank from the sides or behind, or run into him around a corner, running around the heavy so he cannot be hit, giving him an advantage that is not present in the statistics. So, although Heavy is the easier class to play, he is not the best class, and team with only skilled Heavies against another skilled team would be an easy win for the skilled players. of course, none of the applies in Public servers because most pubs are brain-dead (no offense), so Heavy would be "OP" in this situation. Also, to ink areas, you should be pressing R, not holding it, with the inkbrush.
In the OP, you state that the Aerospray has unparalleled offensive capabilites. However, even a Splattershot Jr. kills a frame earlier. The main reason why people are dying is to it constantly is their own fault. It has a fast rate of fire. Most people tend to shoot before their crosshairs are over the enemy. This means that if a Dual Squelcher shoot at the same time and miss their first shots, the Aerospray will most likely win, because a missed shot does not matter as much. You say that Aerosprays and the Gals kill too fast, but when I go Custom Blaster, I almost never die to them, because I always make sure my shots line up. I die to them more often with a weapon that is usually considered "more OP", the Splattershot Jr. Speaking of which, the Blaster can actually cover up more ink than people think, and there is a large blast radius that can be made stronger with damage (I use 2x main damage when I use Custom Blaster, it's ridiculous).
Seekers and Inkzookas are not that good. Inkzookas leave you with a slower fire rate and no invuln, although you do get a weapon that is similar to a long range, stronger blaster. Seekers can easily be jumped over. Ink mines are pretty good, but lack the versatility of the Splat Bombs (throw behind an enemy, enemy is forced to back up or die). Inkstrikes can easily be covered up (except when the cap zones in maps with small splat zones in splat zones)

K7Sniper

Pro Squid
NNID
K7Sniper
I would compare your tf2 example to the pyro, as that is another class new players flocked to who got labeled OP, but then people just kept them at range and oh look they are countered.

Beariie

Full Squid
So then don't use it on a map where it has a clear disadvantage. Just like you shouldn't use a roller on Skatepark due to the hills, wide areas, and curved surfaces, or a Charger on a very open map that lacks corridors that gives people a lot of range to ambush you..
You say to not use it on a map with a clear disadvantage. But the thing is, we arent able to select the maps, it could be a 50/50 chance to be put on said map. Another thing is, why make a weapon that has a disadvantage on any map?

For the brush, it works great when you have room to maneuver, it's not very good in corridors actually, as anyone with a ranged weapon will wreck you if they see you barging forward in a tight space, and the splash it does is great for painting areas. You don't take the brush into a damn firefight and expect to kill everything in sight. Play smart with it and it is fantastic.
Room to maneuver, a lot of stages barely have that much open space to actually maneuver around, unless you mean retreating back the way you came. Going in a full circle or trying to zig zag will only delay your death against a spray gunner also. Im not saying it has to be the godly weapon at all, i would rather it be able to not be so screwed in every situation against ranged weapons.

Also, the narrow line isn't for painting an area, the narrow line essentially allows you to simply cut through an enemy area very quickly to reach an area to use the splash, and perhaps provide a quick escape behind you. It's not a Roller. Don't expect it to be used for painting. The splash swipe is what you use for painting an area, and it covers a VERY wide, close area. It's a "Get in, quick cover, get out" weapon. Great for hit and run. Great for getting in and getting out. You move very fast, so people have to really aim well to hit you if you swerve the path you take. Running in a straight line allows people to predict where you are going, and anyone who has played a shooter before knows how to lead a target. You trade power and wide paint area while running for a very wide swipe and lightning speed.
Yes i noticed this, but the thing is, that path you made is easy to paint over. There are even some weapons that can even cut you off or even still hit you no matter how fast you run because they just have that amount of range. Ive played a lot against my friend and he mains spray guns, if he notices me rushing into their base, he has no problem killing me as well as covering up the path i created into their base. Its worse cause of the fact that im usually low or out of ink from running into their base.

It also has an Inkstrike, which is wonderful, and the sprinkler to cover more area area and build up your super.

It's not a weak weapon at all overall, just people need to stop expecting this weapon, and every other weapon actually, to be the be-all-end-all superweapon that can be super effective everywhere.
Honestly, the set they made for the ink brush is kind of weird. Its more of like a camping set up that should of been for chargers. While the Squiffer set up would of been perfect for ink brush.

No its not weak overall, but when it comes to engagements and pushing into enemy lines, it lacks hard for a up close and personal weapon.

It is not lacking, though. it is weaker than other roller weapons, I'll give you that, but if were as strong as, say, the Dynamo Roller, then it would be a bit ridiculous. I feel like you are viewing this as a pub TF2 player. In TF2, most new players believe that Heavy is the best class in the game. They think the Scout is worthless. Heavy has a lot of HP and can do more DPS than Scout, and in a straight up 1v1 encounter in a hallway, the Heavy almost always wins. However, the Scout has something that Heavy does not have. The Scout has speed. Statistically, Heavy should win every single time. But, if Scout plays smart, he can overcome the Heavy. He could flank from the sides or behind, or run into him around a corner, running around the heavy so he cannot be hit, giving him an advantage that is not present in the statistics. So, although Heavy is the easier class to play, he is not the best class, and team with only skilled Heavies against another skilled team would be an easy win for the skilled players. of course, none of the applies in Public servers because most pubs are brain-dead (no offense), so Heavy would be "OP" in this situation. Also, to ink areas, you should be pressing R, not holding it, with the inkbrush.
In the OP, you state that the Aerospray has unparalleled offensive capabilites. However, even a Splattershot Jr. kills a frame earlier. The main reason why people are dying is to it constantly is their own fault. It has a fast rate of fire. Most people tend to shoot before their crosshairs are over the enemy. This means that if a Dual Squelcher shoot at the same time and miss their first shots, the Aerospray will most likely win, because a missed shot does not matter as much. You say that Aerosprays and the Gals kill too fast, but when I go Custom Blaster, I almost never die to them, because I always make sure my shots line up. I die to them more often with a weapon that is usually considered "more OP", the Splattershot Jr. Speaking of which, the Blaster can actually cover up more ink than people think, and there is a large blast radius that can be made stronger with damage (I use 2x main damage when I use Custom Blaster, it's ridiculous).
Seekers and Inkzookas are not that good. Inkzookas leave you with a slower fire rate and no invuln, although you do get a weapon that is similar to a long range, stronger blaster. Seekers can easily be jumped over. Ink mines are pretty good, but lack the versatility of the Splat Bombs (throw behind an enemy, enemy is forced to back up or die). Inkstrikes can easily be covered up (except when the cap zones in maps with small splat zones in splat zones)
Im not the op btw. And also its hard to compare the 2. A scout has the ability to move fast, and double jump at the cost of low hp. A heavy has high defense and moves slow. (If im correct and This is balanced)

But here you have a weapon that makes you run fast and thats all. Its damage is very weak and it requires you to be up close in order to have a fighting chance, and even at time its very inconsistent when it comes to hits. and it is a tad bit faster then a squid, which the heavy has.

So you have a scout that cant double jump with very weak damage at any range (Ink Brush). Vs a Heavy that ignores the speed restriction due to squid form, has medium -far range, has bullets that do 2-5 shots to kill.

Last edited:

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
NNID
RespawningJesus
I would compare the ink brush to the spy honestly. You are able to infiltrate enemy territory, able to flank the enemy with ease, and pick off anyone who your team sends scrambling back for cover. You need the element of surprise with that weapon, otherwise, you will die.

K7Sniper

Pro Squid
NNID
K7Sniper
You say to not use it on a map with a clear disadvantage. But the thing is, we arent able to select the maps, it could be a 50/50 chance to be put on said map. Another thing is, why make a weapon that has a disadvantage on any map?
No, but you DO know which ones it is choosing from. You see two corridor filled maps? Don't use that weapon. 50/50? Focus on the areas of said map that DO help you. Don't just go charging through the hallways all gung-ho.

Room to maneuver, a lot of stages barely have that much open space to actually maneuver around, unless you mean retreating back the way you came. Going in a full circle or trying to zig zag will only delay your death against a spray gunner also. Im not saying it has to be the godly weapon at all, i would rather it be able to not be so screwed in every situation against ranged weapons.
And I would love the sniper weapons to not be so screwed against people who flank. Long range is a weakness for Melee-centric weapons. This difference with this one vs the Roller? This one is even harder to hit at range thanks to the speed. If you can't avoid getting hit at range most of the time with this one, either the person shooting you is really damn good, or you are just really damn bad with the brush and should try a different weapon. It's MUCH easier to fight ranged with the brush than the roller, thanks to the speed.

Yes i noticed this, but the thing is, that path you made is easy to paint over. There are even some weapons that can even cut you off or even still hit you no matter how fast you run because they just have that amount of range. Ive played a lot against my friend and he mains spray guns, if he notices me rushing into their base, he has no problem killing me as well as covering up the path i created into their base. Its worse cause of the fact that im usually low or out of ink from running into their base.
Then you really aren't good at flanking and ambushing. Don't get noticed, and be aware of the enemy positions yourself. Use the walls to hide. Find a high ground. Getting noticed is a weakness for EVERY weapon, not just the brush. If they cover up the path you take, that's why the brush is so fast standing up. Like the roller, you are always covering your path to avoid any slowdown, but you do it twice as fast. That's where awareness comes in. If you you notice your path covered up, well run yourself around and make a new path. If you get trapped in a corridor between enemies, well that's a deathknell for every weapon, not just the brush.

Honestly, the set they made for the ink brush is kind of weird. Its more of like a camping set up that should of been for chargers. While the Squiffer set up would of been perfect for ink brush.
It's made to spread ink quickly. The sprinkler builds your super, and you cover a lot of area with the swipe, which builds up the super, and the super is an inkstrike, which hits more areas with ink that you can't really charge in to because it's guarded.

No its not weak overall, but when it comes to engagements and pushing into enemy lines, it lacks hard for a up close and personal weapon.
If you are using it primarily for combat, you are using it wrong. While the Roller is rather newb friendly, the Brush is not. The brush really rewards skill, and I've seen some really good people with the brush completely cover up an entire area and escape before anyone noticed what the hell happened. They didn't get many kills, but they sure as hell led in points. They just knew how to play smart, and didn't put themselves in an unfavorable position (and this was on a corridor map, it's weak map.)

Im not the op btw. And also its hard to compare the 2. A scout has the ability to move fast, and double jump at the cost of low hp. A heavy has high defense and moves slow. (If im correct and This is balanced)

But here you have a weapon that makes you run fast and thats all. Its damage is very weak and it requires you to be up close in order to have a fighting chance, and even at time its very inconsistent when it comes to hits. and it is a tad bit faster then a squid, which the heavy has.

So you have a scout that cant double jump with very weak damage at any range (Ink Brush). Vs a Heavy that ignores the speed restriction due to squid form, has medium -far range, has bullets that do 2-5 shots to kill.
There are scout weapons in TF2 that take away the double jump, and the scout's weapons are very close ranged. It's whole shtick is that you need to avoid getting hit. The "heavy" in this game also has the same HP as your ink brush "scout". So, while the heavy gets the squid form escape speed, you get the squid form speed AND land speed that is more than "just a little bit faster". You hit them with a well timed swipe with a flank, and they *should* be dead in 2-3 hits within a swipe (the swipe keeps swinging if you hold the button down when you start the swipe), so the damage is somewhat similar. I know I've died in one full swipe to the brush many times, so I know it's possible.

However, like I said, the brush is a "cover the area with ink quickly" weapon that allows you to get all around the map at a fast speed, that is really only suited to combat if you pick your spots, ambush, then run away. To use it as a bull-rush, keep attacking them weapon means you are using it wrong. It's a weapon that rewards skill, but punishes people who don't use it right.

hm... ok the quote system borked up on me. I'll fix this to make it more readable.

Beariie

Full Squid
No, but you DO know which ones it is choosing from. You see two corridor filled maps? Don't use that weapon. 50/50? Focus on the areas of said map that DO help you. Don't just go charging through the hallways all gung-ho.
If your gonna have a 4 hour rotation on maps, then you need to make sure every weapon type is viable on each map. Chances are it might even be 8 hours or more depending on how it works. So that means to either conform and use a weapon you dont really want to use to have more of a fighting chance or to take the salt and use the weapon you want to use. Thats not a good solution at all.
And I would love the sniper weapons to not be so screwed against people who flank. Long range is a weakness for Melee-centric weapons. This difference with this one vs the Roller? This one is even harder to hit at range thanks to the speed. If you can't avoid getting hit at range most of the time with this one, either the person shooting you is really damn good, or you are just really damn bad with the brush and should try a different weapon. It's MUCH easier to fight ranged with the brush than the roller, thanks to the speed.
The thing about the ink brush is that even its melee attack are terrible because it hurts you more then the enemy player. Id say the Rollers have the better advantage against range players: Kraken, Killer wail, Suction bombs. There splat attack can also 1 attack if done right.

Then you really aren't good at flanking and ambushing. Don't get noticed, and be aware of the enemy positions yourself. Use the walls to hide. Find a high ground. Getting noticed is a weakness for EVERY weapon, not just the brush. If they cover up the path you take, that's why the brush is so fast standing up. Like the roller, you are always covering your path to avoid any slowdown, but you do it twice as fast. That's where awareness comes in. If you you notice your path covered up, well run yourself around and make a new path. If you get trapped in a corridor between enemies, well that's a deathknell for every weapon, not just the brush.
I may not be good at flanking, who knows. I can easily get into the enemy base sometimes, but when a enemy jumps back to there base. The chances of me doing much while in it is reduced drastically, especially if its a ranged user because i barely stand a chance to even go at ti 1v1 with them since they have the ink and range advantage already. Im not sure about the while aoid slowdown, even when im painting i notice i sometimes still get effected by enemy ink for some reason, even if its just alittle be to my side. Reaction to the smallest puddle.
It's made to spread ink quickly. The sprinkler builds your super, and you cover a lot of area with the swipe, which builds up the super, and the super is an inkstrike, which hits more areas with ink that you can't really charge in to because it's guarded.
Sprinkler? It doesnt spread ink quickly at all, it covers a large area if left alone sure, but it would be better to have something more supportish that helps you stay alive or infiltrate. Once you throw that sprinkler, its time to squid down for a moment before you do anything else. Would prefer seeker or even suction bomb because what we have right now seems more like a set for campers instead of something thats constantly on the move.
If you are using it primarily for combat, you are using it wrong. While the Roller is rather newb friendly, the Brush is not. The brush really rewards skill, and I've seen some really good people with the brush completely cover up an entire area and escape before anyone noticed what the hell happened. They didn't get many kills, but they sure as hell led in points. They just knew how to play smart, and didn't put themselves in an unfavorable position (and this was on a corridor map, it's weak map.)
Doubt there really is a wrong way to use it. I still net 1000-1400 points when i use it my way, but it mostly depends on team setup.

There are scout weapons in TF2 that take away the double jump, and the scout's weapons are very close ranged. It's whole shtick is that you need to avoid getting hit. The "heavy" in this game also has the same HP as your ink brush "scout". So, while the heavy gets the squid form escape speed, you get the squid form speed AND land speed that is more than "just a little bit faster". You hit them with a well timed swipe with a flank, and they *should* be dead in 2-3 hits within a swipe (the swipe keeps swinging if you hold the button down when you start the swipe), so the damage is somewhat similar. I know I've died in one full swipe to the brush many times, so I know it's possible.
The heavy also does more damage and has enough range to beat your speed. A lot of maps require you to circle back around at some point or endure a stage design that makes you move slower because ink wont effect that particular area. Thats all the time needed for a range to squid closer to be able to get in range.
How do you die to it in 1 hit if each hit does about 12-24 damage each hit? Ive been smacking eople with it close up and never got it to kill in 1 swing ever. usually 3-5 swings gets me the kill.
However, like I said, the brush is a "cover the area with ink quickly" weapon that allows you to get all around the map at a fast speed, that is really only suited to combat if you pick your spots, ambush, then run away. To use it as a bull-rush, keep attacking them weapon means you are using it wrong. It's a weapon that rewards skill, but punishes people who don't use it right.
Every weapon is a cover with ink quickly weapon. Even a charger on a tight lane map. Heck, theres chargers that get atleast 900-1300 a game.
Sadly, a weapon that "Rewards skilled use" is still lower then something you can just blind fire and rack up points. Just means your pumping out more effort for the same or worse results.

K7Sniper

Pro Squid
NNID
K7Sniper
1. No, they don't have to make every weapon super effective on every map. That's the whole point of picking the right weapon for a given two maps, and the whole point of having weapon choices in the first place. Also, every weapon is effective in the right hands.

2. You're nitpicking on it's weaknesses while ignoring the weaknesses of the other weapons. "The sprinkler only is good when left alone", yea, that's why you plant them in the right spots. You don't just toss it in the middle of a crowd like a grenade. Just like the Ink Wall is somewhat ineffective against people who flank. Or the delay timer on splatterbombs before the explode. Or the power of the balloon bombs (I forget what they are called off the top of my head). The only real offensive ability of the brush is the inkstrike, the rest, it's a territory painter, and a fragile speedster.

3. I've gotten 1-swing set kills with it without a problem. Not sure how you aren't. Perhaps you need to center the enemy with the swipe and not just splash spam like rollers. However, I've found it more effective to pop up, swipe, drop, pop swipe, to keep them guessing and inaccurate.

4. You're complaining about a weapon that nets you "1100-1400 points" when you use it your way... That's not underpowered or ineffective. You just might feel it takes more effort as it contrasts with your usual playstyle when using a different weapon.

5. You don't 1v1 with this weapon. Charging in solo 1v1 with the brush is not how you use it. If you do, that is an easy kill and you're being stupid. A main part of this game is know when to run. You dash in to an area where there isn't a firefight going on, paint it up, then zip over to the next before the enemy can hit you. Then, you move to the area where they left, cover it up with ink, then zip out of there. You control enemy movements with this weapon by directing the crowd without being seen or confronted, while covering up an area for your team.

6. No, not every weapon is a cover with ink quickly weapon. The Charger isn't, even on corridor maps. It's a kill weapon. The gal weapons aren't very good at spreading. They are kill weapons. Anything that is a sure 1-2 hit kill are either only close range, or not good at spreading ink. (Aero, not even 1 hit kills, but fast enough fire rate = close range, roller = close range, gal = not good with ink, snipers = not good with ink)

7. You pointed out yourself that you don't want to have to pick a weapon and only use the one you want to use. That's like saying "I don't want to use an AR on this wide open map. I only want to use my shotgun! The AR is OP, and my SG needs a buff since it can't compete at range". All weapons weren't made to be good at everything. If the game was completely 100% even, there would be no weapon variation. Everyone can only use the Splattershot. However, in this game, you always have a choice, and because you have a choice of weapons, you are always going to be stuck with a dilemma. You can pick the best weapon for a given stage, or pick the one you like to use the best. That's how every shooter game has been. If you want a weapon that can do everything at once, pick an all around weapon, like the Splattershot. It outranges some weapons, can kill faster than some, can spread ink quickly, has a good variety of specials, and can be used close up or at a distance. To use other weapons has some give and some take. You pick which features you want to focus more on (speed, ink spread, ambush tactics), and decide to neglect the others (range, power).

Kevham

Inkling
NNID
Kevham
I'm disagreeing with these claims for two reasons (Even though I hate the Aerosprays and Love the .Gals, So Watch my bias come out)
1: The aerosprays get shut down hard by almost every other gun if they dont get a good flank. That pitiful range and unpredictable ink spray make it nigh impossible to call it OP. It's Brilliant in close, but outperformed range-wise, thus balancing it.
2: Yes, The .Gals CAN kill in 2 hits, but that's with perfect accuracy, and let's face it, you wont hit those first 2 shots unless you're incredibly skilled, Incredibly lucky or your opponent is either incredibly incompetent or stationary.

If this game isnt about killing, then there shouldnt really be a need to having weapons kill in 2-3 shots.

-InkBrush needs a range increase or a slight damage increase when it comes to it. (Running into anything besides a charger is saying "kill me now")
No.

Along with getting around fast while inking, the whole purpose of the Inkbrush is to mash your fire button until everything is a lifeless, inky puddle infront of you. A range or damage buff would make the brush skyrocket into being one of the most broken weapons in the game. About 4 swings can ink someone, provided they all hit them, So Keeping the absurdly fast swinging means that a range or damage buff would break the weapon.

Last edited:

Beariie

Full Squid
1. No, they don't have to make every weapon super effective on every map. That's the whole point of picking the right weapon for a given two maps, and the whole point of having weapon choices in the first place. Also, every weapon is effective in the right hands.
Well i didnt say make then super effective, i said make them viable. The point of picking weapons is to find something you enjoy using. I enjoy the Brush but feel as though it needs tweaks here and there.

2. You're nitpicking on it's weaknesses while ignoring the weaknesses of the other weapons. "The sprinkler only is good when left alone", yea, that's why you plant them in the right spots. You don't just toss it in the middle of a crowd like a grenade. Just like the Ink Wall is somewhat ineffective against people who flank. Or the delay timer on splatterbombs before the explode. Or the power of the balloon bombs (I forget what they are called off the top of my head). The only real offensive ability of the brush is the inkstrike, the rest, it's a territory painter, and a fragile speedster.

3. I've gotten 1-swing set kills with it without a problem. Not sure how you aren't. Perhaps you need to center the enemy with the swipe and not just splash spam like rollers. However, I've found it more effective to pop up, swipe, drop, pop swipe, to keep them guessing and inaccurate.
Maybe it was lag. Still dont see how.

4. You're complaining about a weapon that nets you "1100-1400 points" when you use it your way... That's not underpowered or ineffective. You just might feel it takes more effort as it contrasts with your usual playstyle when using a different weapon.
Even if i get good scores with the weapon, it can still have its weaknesses. Never said it was underpowered btw.

5. You don't 1v1 with this weapon. Charging in solo 1v1 with the brush is not how you use it. If you do, that is an easy kill and you're being stupid. A main part of this game is know when to run. You dash in to an area where there isn't a firefight going on, paint it up, then zip over to the next before the enemy can hit you. Then, you move to the area where they left, cover it up with ink, then zip out of there. You control enemy movements with this weapon by directing the crowd without being seen or confronted, while covering up an area for your team.
This is a PvP game, your going to run into 1v1 situations a ton. And i dont mean it as in, holding Right Trigger and just rushing into the middle. Yes, but sadly when you try to run away, any little patch of ink from the opposing team will stop you, especially when your squidding around.

Im not sure what kind of match your playing, but it sounds like the enemy team doesnt know what they are doing if your allowed to easily zip in and out of their base. If possible, please make a video showing me this style. Or link 1 if you can find.

6. No, not every weapon is a cover with ink quickly weapon. The Charger isn't, even on corridor maps. It's a kill weapon. The gal weapons aren't very good at spreading. They are kill weapons. Anything that is a sure 1-2 hit kill are either only close range, or not good at spreading ink. (Aero, not even 1 hit kills, but fast enough fire rate = close range, roller = close range, gal = not good with ink, snipers = not good with ink)
Chargers can really cover areas in ink pretty quickly, especially on corridor maps, they arent faster then others but they still can get the job done. Honestly i want to call a load of bull on the, Gal isnt good at spreading paint comment. I know someone who gets around 1k average with his gal, as well as score a ton of kills on the way.

7. You pointed out yourself that you don't want to have to pick a weapon and only use the one you want to use. That's like saying "I don't want to use an AR on this wide open map. I only want to use my shotgun! The AR is OP, and my SG needs a buff since it can't compete at range". All weapons weren't made to be good at everything. If the game was completely 100% even, there would be no weapon variation. Everyone can only use the Splattershot. However, in this game, you always have a choice, and because you have a choice of weapons, you are always going to be stuck with a dilemma. You can pick the best weapon for a given stage, or pick the one you like to use the best. That's how every shooter game has been. If you want a weapon that can do everything at once, pick an all around weapon, like the Splattershot. It outranges some weapons, can kill faster than some, can spread ink quickly, has a good variety of specials, and can be used close up or at a distance. To use other weapons has some give and some take. You pick which features you want to focus more on (speed, ink spread, ambush tactics), and decide to neglect the others (range, power).
The game barely has much gun variety in it atm anyways because some guns are just to good and need to be toned down.
-Krak On
-Aero sprays
-Splattershots

They are overused because they are low risk, high reward weapons. You dont see many chargers running around i bet, maybe 1 or 2 every few matches, never a team full of them because it takes work to make them work and to be good at which a ton of people dont like. Unlike Spray guns which anyone can pick up and excel with. Guns like that shouldn't be High rewarding guns for the amount of effort required to use them.

Along with getting around fast while inking, the whole purpose of the Inkbrush is to mash your fire button until everything is a lifeless, inky puddle infront of you. A range or damage buff would make the brush skyrocket into being one of the most broken weapons in the game. About 4 swings can ink someone, provided they all hit them, So Keeping the absurdly fast swinging means that a range or damage buff would break the weapon.
Keep in mind hat not everyone is able to mash there button at a fast pace. Some would also not risk the carpel tunnel. A range buff would not even make this thing overpowered. Not sure what kind of range your trying to picture though. a damage buff wouldnt really make it overpowered either. Ive snuck up on people, got about 2-3 hits in. They turned around and splattered me in no time flat. The inkbrush lacks the consistency a lot of the time up close, which is its only range of effectiveness in a fight. Unlike others that have multiple changes at a variety of ranges.

Last edited:

K7Sniper

Pro Squid
NNID
K7Sniper
Next time I want to record my multiplayer matches, I'll try and show some brush games. My main wep is the Splattershot Pro, as I normally prefer long range fighting, but with the rapid fire that really seems to be the advantage (my name IS K7Sniper after all, but the sniper weapons really aren't viable at all in Turf War. if I want to help my team win. If you want to hear me complain about something being useless, get me going about those weapons. Compared to the sniper weps, the brush is beast mode :P). That gun gives me some balance, while allowing me to have some range superiority like I prefer with a drawback of fire rate.

For a frame of my usual play style, my main characters in other games tend to be the all around ones. Personally, I dislike min-maxing, as I want to be able to so a little bit of everything, and let my skill increase specific areas of play. I've played FPS games for decades, and I know what I do best, and that is sniping and range. Though, when I do play melee, I prefer speedsters that allow me to dodge, dip, dive, duck, and dodge; like the Scout in TF2, or the Pyro in ambush mode.

I do believe I've gone on a bit of a tangent. My apologies.

In regards to the gal weps... They get their paint covering BY killing people. I apologize as I didn't mention that part. When you kill someone, they get splattered with a load of ink, which ups your paint score by a good amount. The gal weapons are made for killing, and they get their ink spread by the enemy kaboom. That is their best method of spreading the colors and upping their score.

In regards to overused weps, there really aren't that many in the game yet (7 main types by my count; splat jr/norm/pro, charger, squelch, roller, brush, aero, blast), so you are always bound to see many who use the same ones in every game, so I can't make a true judgment about that aside from trends, which are aeros and jrs, but that's fine. It's like ARs in most FPS games. Just because they are used a lot doesn't imply they are OP. They just happen to be what people like the most, and in a game whose objective is to paint the most territory, they are all decent for that purpose. There are plenty of counters to all three you mentioned though (flanking and range mainly). And you never mentioned the gal weps. Those are used quite a bit too. So if 4 of the 7 main types are getting use, that's not really signifying anything being OP. It does show variety as more than half are getting regular use, with the rest popping in depending on the map and how well the wielder can utilize it. All the weapons can be low risk if you play them that way by staying out of a firefight, but some do require some practice and skill to master them. You get better, then the reward will be higher as you know how to get the most out of said weapon. If you meant more "noob friendly" or easier to use right off the bat, all games have that. Some weapons do take some real practice. The brush is one of them. It is a specialist weapon. You max your speed on land and get a good ink spread, at the cost of range and power. As much as you may like the brush and want it to be OP for your own needs, it's actually very balanced right now.

Also, you wont get carpal tunnel unless you use your wrist, like having to move a mouse for hours on end. Not by clicking the RT button with your finger.

CloneHat

Inkster Jr.
NNID
CloneHat
We have a lot of unique weapons that let you play in different ways. Of course some are going to be better than others, just like some maps will be preferred for competitive play. That said:
1. Have you considered that guns that are good at killing (eg. Splattershot Pro, Gallons), something you seem to value above all else, are poor at spreading ink, the core aspect of the game? Not only does that make them weaker at taking ground, but also makes them less mobile as they can't make paths for themselves.
2. Do you really think short-range, no-aim guns (Roller, Aerospray) are going to be useful at a high level? Weak and inaccurate isn't what a smart player with good aim looks for in a weapon.
3. We don't even have the ability to make teams of different weapons, so we can't even see how group strategy will come into play yet.

LancerStaff

Inkling Cadet
The game is well-balanced. Probably too much for it's own good, but well-balanced nonetheless.

I'd rather see some more variety before a balance patch. Because right now there's not a whole lot of difference between weapons within a class, and there's only three classes and a few misfits.

sammich

Inkling Cadet
i think most rapid-fire weapons could use a hit or two more before they kill. it feels like they just have a slight leg up over the other weapon types, though that may change with more DLC

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom