Special Tier List 6.1 (SZ Only)

ProChara

Inkling
even with the zones cheese capabilities reefslider is still that low? it felt like it was breaking high X rank zones lobbies sometimes
I don't think Slider cheese is that good, its nice in clutch moments, but trading a special + life for a zones flip almost guarantees the other team just takes it back. I think it just snowballs your own team

ProChara

Inkling
Alright guys call up +1 and get them in here

On another note tho, I think reefslider cheese needs a bit more credit and screen (if it wasn't horribly inaccessible) could be higher up and is pretty strong in the right places/right times. Like when you have a number disadvantage and don't want to get pushed I think it can be very useful
I just don't see it having as consistent value as specials above rn.

ProChara

Inkling
ngl mr prochara never rly understood the zip placement, it doesn't feel nearly as consistent for pressure as storm or booyah
Zip is ranked on its best weapons, huge sustain/survivability/panic option/continuation its a bit less consistent but has higher value then storm/booyah when used well. But this is mostly talking ab Sword/Tetra using it.

DzNutsKong

Inkling Cadet
I don't play comp so I might be misinformed but chumps can be good if used well! It has good paint and can help neutralize the zone in bad situations. Also good when teammates can coordinate with it
For competitive balance talk like this it's important to not ignore anything's weaknesses and also to look at the environment of everything around it. There are other specials that help people get in or fight a lot better and there are other specials that paint not quite as well, but don't need to sacrifice that in order to achieve this. To me Chumps technically aren't bad in a vacuum but the game's other specials are just better than it.

zyf_

Pro Squid
Zip is ranked on its best weapons, huge sustain/survivability/panic option/continuation its a bit less consistent but has higher value then storm/booyah when used well. But this is mostly talking ab Sword/Tetra using it.
ig i can see that, a good zip is def strong
im less convinced by tetra just cuz sword's paint gives it the "you ignored me but ran away so i cap now" mixup

The Game Wheel

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-6050-9066-4925
Ranking of all specials for Splat Zones only.
I think splashdown just needs some of its properties back since it lost em from 2 -> 3, 10 frames shaved off and better radius (super jump or not) would wildly buff it

Terret

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-5277-2851-4605
Hey please keep comments related to the initial post otherwise its better to make your own thread, my replies on forums are for discussions on the forum topic.
Ah, sorry. Just thought the special change ideas were on topic.

zyf_

Pro Squid
I don't play comp so I might be misinformed but chumps can be good if used well! It has good paint and can help neutralize the zone in bad situations. Also good when teammates can coordinate with it
simply put high level players dont respect chumps as an actual threat
you just break a few around you/in zone and then keep fighting, and that distraction is rarely long enough for the other team to have a real pushing opportunity
if you have good enough movement they don't actually do very much unfortunately, they take too long to explode so you have tons of time to move out of the way

zyf_

Pro Squid
Thats true, but giving a shooter (preferably short ranged) Splashdown would mean it could be spammed more. Maybe they reference S2s Vshot?
ngl enperry gets splashdown plenty lol, and i dont want another short range shooter to have its potential bombed by splashdown (except 52 gal lol)

honestly the special is mainly just bad bc it doesn't paint at all in this game for whatever reason, if triple splashdown painted more it'd probably actually be kinda decent in zones, especially because you can do interesting line of sight breaking stuff now with the hands

luki

Inkling
Ranking of all specials for Splat Zones only.
Honestly I'd bump Reefslider up to Vac level because the two are in pretty similar spots for me, especially for Zones.

Vac is able to absorb enemy fire for a bit, especially on more cramped zones, can be used safely from a distance to either cheese the zone or send a nuke at the enemy; however it also takes a while to charge, is not guaranteed to actually work given that Stampers and some rollers are quite prevalent rn (or even people splatting you once you fully charge) and your mobility plummets as soon as you absorb even the tiniest bit of ink.

Reef on the other hand is more consistent in at least going off, is much faster at actually doing something (even if most of the time it will also just be zone cheese) and is a bit more generous than Vac in terms of damage since unlike Vac at least Reefslider does splash damage. However in cases where there aren't any Splatanas or Rollers around, the user is MUCH more vulnerable than Ink Vac (though after actually achieving something) and has much less range.

Basically what I'm getting at is that both specials are equally mediocre as hell and should be fundamentally reworked to actually let them function.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom