• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Special Tier List 6.1 (SZ Only)

AtlasThe64

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-2872-8990-8300
Ranking of all specials for Splat Zones only.
I'm surprised to see the reefslider so low on the tier list.

I've seen even on rank X several players using the same (very annoying) strategy: they pick the silver aerospray and they comebine it with a build with one main of tenacity and 9 subs and 2 mains of special power up which greatly increase the reefslider's damage and the paint radius. What they do during the game is just spam it as many times as they can to block from scoring many points, sometimes not even enough to remove your SZ penalty!

Dari

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-2230-6009-2248
ngl enperry gets splashdown plenty lol, and i dont want another short range shooter to have its potential bombed by splashdown (except 52 gal lol)

honestly the special is mainly just bad bc it doesn't paint at all in this game for whatever reason, if triple splashdown painted more it'd probably actually be kinda decent in zones, especially because you can do interesting line of sight breaking stuff now with the hands
Tbf i played enperries to like only 3 stars so i have limited experience, so i thought it was not that good at getting specials but maybe that´s a me problem lol
But yeah it´s true, the paint output is not very good but i think it shouldn´t be buffed too hard otherwise reef might become irrelevant (already kinda is but it still has it´s place somehow), maybe a buff to jump-splashdowns would help a bit was they are very underwhelming in this game. Especially combined with stealthjump it could be very good for stealthpainting the zone

ToastyGhost

Inkling
NNID
IAmToastyGhost
Switch Friend Code
SW-4329-2911-2996
personally i would move vac, chumps, and splashdown up a tier.

vac both prevents the enemy from painting and gives you a shot afterward that can solo flip a zone if filled enough
chumps paint well, especially after exploding, and are a distraction for the enemy that can support a push
splashdown is more likely to kill or trade than reefslider, but doesn't paint as well, so i'd put them at about the same level. outside of zones i'd put splashdown higher

KibryHouse

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4782-5986-0003
Wouldnt be suprised if its because you can vac cheese zone, + you can vac a zone and then you can just fight for it back idrk besides those tbh
Yea, just realized this list is SZ only. Makes sense then

TheShaded1

Inkling
What made Splashdown drop so low, is this just in terms of its negligible paint? I still feel like the special is still decent in terms of being a usable special. I could be totally wrong though since i don't really play weapons that have it competitively, more so in an open/casual pb environment

Cursed

Inkling
I don't play comp so I might be misinformed but chumps can be good if used well! It has good paint and can help neutralize the zone in bad situations. Also good when teammates can coordinate with it
I agree! I'm biased as well but I think theyre at least a C tier special. Its a very wide aoe that pairs well with most other aggressive specials. Its not going to kill but it still pressures a a very large space for 5 or so seconds

Avarisce

Inkling
NNID
fast_noodle
Switch Friend Code
SW-1894-3325-4700
im surprised vac is still this low honestly what can they even do to buff it at this point
I really just wish they would allow it the suction to be cancelled early, vac would be so back

LunaSea

Inkling
Honestly I'd be surprised if the Splattercolor Screen ends up being higher on one of these tier lists.

however, why am I NOT surprised that Triple Splashdown is at the bottom here?

samaya

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-2437-6092-3911
splashdowns pretty good on zones (or at least i feel like this is). it makes sense why splatterscreen is here (its overall terrible and it rarely kills+ it doesn't help your mates at all with the screen)

hippoueenv

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-4152-6254-4922
even with the zones cheese capabilities reefslider is still that low? it felt like it was breaking high X rank zones lobbies sometimes
The diff between Reefslider and Kraken cheese is that reefslider doesn't actually net you that many points. If the enemy team has control of the zone that means they're in a position to retake it quickly. If you flip the zone and die (because reefslider sucks) now it's a 3v4 and the enemy team can spend 5 seconds retaking the zone and get into a more aggressive position because they outnumber your team. You might gain like 10 points at most but it's nothing compared to Kraken cheese. Sure you can use it to engage for your team and sure your team might be able to keep zone contested long enough for you to superjump back in, but other specials can accomplish this + more, they just can't instantly flip the zone.
All reefslider cheese does is put a penalty on the enemy team and forces them to control the zone for longer to win, and this only really helps you if your team is in the lead. (and again, if you have any special other than reefslider, it'll be easier to gain a lead) Yeah reefslider cheese is the most annoying thing in the world and super stally but it's not that good, at least in my opinion.

RubberCF

Senior Squid
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2041-7487-3622
Im suprised at bubbler being so high especially given how good some high dmg specials are. Is there like a zones specific strategy its good for?

RubberCF

Senior Squid
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2041-7487-3622
splashdowns pretty good on zones (or at least i feel like this is). it makes sense why splatterscreen is here (its overall terrible and it rarely kills+ it doesn't help your mates at all with the screen)
I would have thought splashown wouldbbe higher, but it does have some big issues. People have gotten better at killing the user (esp with pencil being meta its not hard to see how dangerous splashdown can be to use) and it doesnt rlly put down as much paint as youd think. Theres probably maps where its better on, bc they have good spots to use the fists over cover or smth

Sαlsα⇒

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-4389-5123-5222
What's the reasoning for Zip being in the same tier as Booyah and Rain? Is it just due to the splash paint it provides (which i doubt because its very unconventional to do in actual matches with people shooting you) or is there other significant reasoning?

Also good to see you've moved here with the rest of us Chara

RubberCF

Senior Squid
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2041-7487-3622
What's the reasoning for Zip being in the same tier as Booyah and Rain? Is it just due to the splash paint it provides (which i doubt because its very unconventional to do in actual matches with people shooting you) or is there other significant reasoning?

Also good to see you've moved here with the rest of us Chara
I believe its mainly due to the buff from 5.0. It made it so it can 1 shot you just by zipping which makes it much more threatening, and even if it doesnt hit you, the significant aoe increase makes it easier for the zip user to start a fight with an advantage. Being able to zip to places closer to you also makes it eadier to usevthe zip itself in a fight. It used to feel like the most a zipcaster would usually do is start a mostly normal 1v1 wherever it wanted, but now its actually smth that can actually send people scattering

Sαlsα⇒

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-4389-5123-5222
I believe its mainly due to the buff from 5.0. It made it so it can 1 shot you just by zipping which makes it much more threatening, and even if it doesnt hit you, the significant aoe increase makes it easier for the zip user to start a fight with an advantage. Being able to zip to places closer to you also makes it eadier to usevthe zip itself in a fight. It used to feel like the most a zipcaster would usually do is start a mostly normal 1v1 wherever it wanted, but now its actually smth that can actually send people scattering
Fair enough, i understand what you mean thinking about it now. As someone who plays stamper i dont understand why i didnt think of this earlier

silvr_nouveau

Senior Squid
Pronouns
He/They/She
Switch Friend Code
SW-5141-3082-0456
I would have thought splashown wouldbbe higher, but it does have some big issues. People have gotten better at killing the user (esp with pencil being meta its not hard to see how dangerous splashdown can be to use) and it doesnt rlly put down as much paint as youd think. Theres probably maps where its better on, bc they have good spots to use the fists over cover or smth
I feel like if they revert the nerfs from the OG splashdown it could honestly be a decent zones cheeser and unlike slider it's an acutal special

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom