• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatdashing, An Advanced technique

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
alright, i tried this and the inputs are basically holding zr and mashing zl

its actually pretty good, you do move slightly faster than normal because any swimming time is better than walking no matter how little, and and you cover ink while doing so

its good for moving up out of spawn at the start of matches since you need to be fast and cover ink, but splatterhopping is definitely the more effective technique

Calzum

Inkling
One of the first things i tried when i played, nothing 2 special, good at the start of the game, not much use in the mid/late game

ProjectQ

Inkling
NNID
ianwit8
Techs are a stupid term, sorry. Can we just call'em what they are?
I think it might be our experience with other games and how in those communities, tech is the only wisespread term. Tech seems to be the all-encompassing thing, but it is ok to call them just hy their name (without saying tech after).

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
The point of AT names doesn't have to really reflect how to do it at all necessarily. Wavedash/waveland from smash is a good example.
Actually they generally do have to, to be able to allow the audience to know what you are doing. Smash bros actually has a problem with naming things, with some stuff named after people.

Wavedash is actually a good example of something be named decently. The slide along the surface like wave at the speed of a dash usually.

Anyway, certainly an interesting tech. Tried to use it a bit in the demo.

WydrA

Inkling Commander
Actually they generally do have to, to be able to allow the audience to know what you are doing. Smash bros actually has a problem with naming things, with some stuff named after people.

Wavedash is actually a good example of something be named decently. The slide along the surface like wave at the speed of a dash usually.

But wavedash gives you 0 information about how to actually do the tech. In fact it's rather misleading. You don't dash at all to do it. And what's a wave?

GamingWarthog

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
GamingWarthog
Not going to lie, I came here to see if anyone else had discovered this. Nice to see I'm not the only one trying to figure out advanced techs, I had the splathop down, but splatdashing was a little harder. I had the concept down, but I didn't try keeping my finger on ZR for some reason. Does turning back into a human too quickly nullify the effect, or was it just the ZR holding I screwed up?

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
Not going to lie, I came here to see if anyone else had discovered this. Nice to see I'm not the only one trying to figure out advanced techs, I had the splathop down, but splatdashing was a little harder. I had the concept down, but I didn't try keeping my finger on ZR for some reason. Does turning back into a human too quickly nullify the effect, or was it just the ZR holding I screwed up?
the input is just holding ZR and mashing ZL, although you might gain more speed by timing ZL perfectly

you're still saving a small fraction time even if you mash it, though

KurashiDragon

Full Squid
NNID
KurashiDragon
The first match I played on the second demo time, I saw someone doing this. I thought it was interesting and when I picked up the splattershot JR is tried doing this. (with moderate success) It's a good way to get around while painting as much as you can.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster

i don't see how this, at all, is different from the name wavedash though

splatdashing suggests the same thing it does, but instead of wave as in a smoothlanding, splat suggests crudely shooting ink

WydrA

Inkling Commander
Just tested it and this tech isn't what I thought it was. For some reason I thought it made you move faster in general, but I guess it's just faster for unpainted areas (unless i'm doing it wrong) It's almost like a mini S-hop I guess (without the hop) and better for covering more area. Also there's a definite timing to it. Mashing as quickly as possible wont make you move nearly as quickly and you'll just repaint the area in front of you because you're barely inching forward. Timing is pretty easy though.

Xon Suprimes

Senior Squid
This already exists. Squidteching is where you switch in and out of squid while in the ink.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
This is really good in the beginning of matches, and you can get your special charged pretty quick since you are covering territory at a much faster pace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom